jlindsey865
#1476Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 11:19am

It’s beautiful.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#1477Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 11:46am

Strange editing to that trailer, and still question some casting but hey, I’m excited as hell. 

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#1478Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 11:48am

Looks pretty and Erivo is killing it, but this latest trailer gave me more pause than excitement, sadly.

Theatrefan2
#1479Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 11:50am

It's very CGI heavy, and obviously so. Leads all look 30+. Also, still no mention of it being part 1, have they changed their minds?

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#1480Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 11:56am

Have had serious doubts about this movie for forever, but after this trailer, those doubts are melting away.  Looks phenominal, and I cannot wait to see this on the big screen

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup
Updated On: 5/15/24 at 11:56 AM

Theatre Fan3
#1481Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 12:08pm

Now we know what Dr. Dillamond looks like.  The whole thing looks amazing!!  Alas, there will always be negative Nancy's out there.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1482Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 12:15pm

www.shizuniversity.com

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1483Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 12:18pm

BroadwayNYC2 said: "Strange editing to that trailer"

Very.

I'm more sold on the movie now than I was before, and have just accepted that the visual design of the film might not be to my taste, but the trailer editing/pacing is really inert.

And I know the slowed down/reimagined song is common in a trailer, but it doesn't make a ton of sense here. Like, I don't know if these song fragments are going to sell to the masses.

Updated On: 5/15/24 at 12:18 PM

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1484Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 12:25pm

It looks very pretty but it kinda feels like they showed the whole movie.

Also, the part 1 and part 2 thing feels even less justified to me.

It's SO much Shiz, I mean it's basically Harry Potter and High School Musical now. 

I'm just hoping if they really are splitting it, the first film doesn't feel slow or padded.

Ariana seems better here than in the first trailer. 

Midnight Radio
#1485Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 12:26pm

I think it mostly looks good (sped down for sure, since it's only Act I.) One thing I am really not feeling so far is this toned down Morrible. I miss the powdered face and the grandeur 

BwayLB
#1486Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 12:33pm

The casting, the sets, the costumes, the vocals. They are oh so beautiful. I admit movie musicals are hit and miss these days. But this one they can’t screw up

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1487Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 12:53pm

Still not crazy about Erivo as Elphaba but this trailer hooked me. Especially Grande. She looks like she is going to nail it as Glinda. It might just be me but Grande sounds a bit like she is channeling Chenoweth when she is speaking. 

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 5/15/24 at 12:53 PM

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#1488Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 1:07pm

Yes! I thought the same thing about her channeling Kristin and tbh.. I’m not mad about it!  
The trailer got me PUMPED for this movie. 

rattleNwoolypenguin
#1489Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 1:11pm

Midnight Radio said: "I think it mostly looks good (sped down for sure, since it's only Act I.) One thing I am really not feeling so far is this toned down Morrible. I miss the powdered face and the grandeur"

I mean, it’s a Broadway show so that works there.

Morrible onstage reflects a Broadway acting for the back row sensibility. 

Why not have Morrible in this feel more grounded?

StylishCynic
#1490Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 1:40pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "Midnight Radio said: "I think it mostly looks good (sped down for sure, since it's only Act I.) One thing I am really not feeling so far is this toned down Morrible. I miss the powdered face and the grandeur"

I mean, it’s a Broadway show so that works there.

Morrible onstage reflects a Broadway acting for the back row sensibility.

Why not have Morrible in this feel more grounded?
"

I worry that Yeoh's choices are too grounded for what's undoubtedly a vibrant, colorful world, and she's missing the inherent camp sensibility that would from having chosen an actress with roots in the theatre. 

Christine Baranski, for example, could tone down the theatricality while still maintaining "stage presence" in a filmed role.

I fear that Chu's casting with the role may have leaned further into working with his own idol rather than objectively injecting a diva to the role.

Updated On: 5/15/24 at 01:40 PM

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#1491Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 1:47pm

I think it looks great. Ive sort of accepted now that this is just what Hollywood movies look like; I appreciate that it’s not too garish like Godzilla x Kong or something. Honestly, I think the allusions to Harry Potter are probably intentional. 

I’m excited to see what the expanded running time can do as I’ve always felt the book of Wicked to be its weakest element, especially Act II; I’m sure I’m not alone there. Looks like a lot of care has gone into this.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1492Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 2:02pm

I'm not going to judge Yeoh's performance off this. It does seem very grounded, but that may be what Chu wanted from the character. The campiness of stage Morrible might not play as well on screen. I expect Goldblum as the wizard won't be dialed up to 150 either.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1493Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 2:26pm

Would like to have seen some snippets of some of the musical production numbers. Looks like we got just a snippet of Popular. I think with this movie trailer they could have shown more of the musical element. JMO

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#1494Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 2:28pm

I did not like the trailer at all.  Everyone looks sad and depressed.  The witches don’t seem like winners.  And why on earth did they cast Jonathan Bailey in this

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#1495Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 2:30pm

I felt Morrible was more evil and "horrible"  than on stage - maybe precisely because it wasn't over the top. 

actuary
#1496Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 2:31pm

Seems like they put Part 2 scenes in the trailer?

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#1497Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 2:35pm

Ok, they got me. I applied to Shiz University! I want to see what might be sent to my house!

Rentaholic2
#1498Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 2:55pm

actuary said: "Seems like they put Part 2 scenes in the trailer?"

What specifically?  It all looked like Act 1 stuff to me.  

I am so thrilled for this movie.  I have a lot of faith in Chu to pull this off, and it looks absolutely grand. 

BentleyB
#1499Universal's WICKED Film - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 5/15/24 at 4:09pm

Broadway Flash said: "I did not like the trailer at all. Everyone lookssad and depressed. The witches don’t seem like winners. And why on earth did they cast Jonathan Bailey in this"

If they look sad and depressed it is because Cynthia said they both are channeling a certain broadway flash off of Broadway World. Your comments are ridiculous as always. 

Videos