pixeltracker

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 7

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

Mitch101
#150& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 5:23pm

Last night Sondheim was not turning over in his grave at the glorious preview of “& Juliet.” Unlike the night he passed and the awful “Mrs. Doubtfire” was in his namesake theatre. What I thought of most last evening was how much Sondheim loved “The Wiz.”  The contemporary approach to a classic tale, told so creatively with such a strong pop sound. This is “& Juliet.” If “mamma Mia” was the beginning of all these years of jukebox musicals, may “& Juliet” be the bookend because it just can’t get better than this. The book is hilarious and the pop songs are brilliantly weaved in for those who love the songs and those few who will be new to them.

For me, this and “Kimberly Akimbo” are the must have tickets of the season so far.

Get your tickets!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#151& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/30/22 at 5:35pm

ElephantLoveMedley said: "DramaTeach said: "What age would you recommend for this? Is it inappropriate at all? Thanks I’m advance."

I don’t recall anything inappropriate. I think this is perfectly suitable for families with young kids.
"

According to the cast album, there’s profanity in one song. The website says 8+ with adult language.

MadsonMelo
#152& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:05pm

I also don't know how Bedella won the Olivier for that part, but given no one is even talking about, I think Szot won't even be nominated hahaha

After all those reviews about the cast, I'll certainly add this one to my list. Is there only digital rush?

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#153& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:10pm

HeyMrMusic said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "DramaTeach said: "What age would you recommend for this? Is it inappropriate at all? Thanks I’m advance."

I don’t recall anything inappropriate. I think this is perfectly suitable for families with young kids.
"

According to the cast album, there’s profanity in one song. The website says 8+ with adult language.
"

From what I remember there is much emphasis on the f-word in Pink's 'F*ckin' Perfect'.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#154& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:16pm

Tag said: "HeyMrMusic said: "ElephantLoveMedley said: "DramaTeach said: "What age would you recommend for this? Is it inappropriate at all? Thanks I’m advance."

"

"

From what I remember there is much emphasis on the f-word in Pink's 'F*ckin' Perfect'.

"

Yeah. That's it. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

binau Profile Photo
binau
#155& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 12:37pm

" (On that note though, how on EARTH did David Bedella win the Olivier for Lance?! (the part that Paolo Shot is playing here) I cannot fathom that having seen how seemingly small his part was here. I need someone who saw it in London to explain!"

I can't explain it (and I saw him in the role!). In general I would suggest the Olivier Awards for musicals tends to be less competitive than the Tony Awards (which also reflects that the market in my opinion also tends to be less competitive and not quite as good as NYC for musicals, especially new musical writing and productions but also performers too). Even though I understand the rationale more in the following example, it's also why we see things like Cabaret taking 4 acting prizes away whereas depending on the competition in NYC I can imagine it being only 1 or even none.  

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#156& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 4:07pm

Can't wait to see this tonight after my Halloween duties are all done! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#157& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 4:43pm

For those who have received tickets via TodayTix digital rush:

Were the tix you received electronic, or did you have to go to the Sondheim and pick them up? And if they were electronic, are they transferable?

Oh look, a bibu!

yyys
#158& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 6:53pm

I think it's will call only w/ TodayTix.  I won 2 yesterday for 2 different shows and they were both will call.

EDSOSLO858 said: "For those who have received tickets via TodayTix digital rush:

Were the tix you received electronic, or did you have to go to the Sondheim and pick them up? And if they were electronic, are they transferable?
"

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#159& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 9:31pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Looking forward to everyone's thoughts and reports from tonight and this weekend!Would love to see the Broadway cast recreate this on the Tonys if they're nominated for Best Musical!

OMG! That was atrocious. She is soo pitchy.  Hopefully bdwy is better casting. I'm also very confused by this costume design...partly period and then partly contemporary.  It looks a mess to me.  

"

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#160& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 11:47pm

Saw it tonight. Had a great time. Would I have cut a song or two? Maaaaybe? They really did pack them in there, but it felt like a party and I'm glad we got most of the songs and not like...3 lines or a chorus as part of a medley after medley.

I kept thinking how fun it could/would be if the original singers of some of these songs start attending or even doing surprise appearances - though I also see how that would overshadow the cast's performances which are all great imo.

Also, Bill - the costumes aren't confusing if you see the show. They aren't trying to be historically accurate here.

p.s. I'm a little obsessed w/ Betsy Wolfe now.

Mitch101
#161& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/31/22 at 11:52pm

Szot is great, especially with the British actress they brought over from London. Their comic timing is impeccable. But the show belongs to Betsy Wolfe- her character is the driving force behind the whole plot, her signing voice is fantastic, and her comic skills are remarkable. Everyone is wonderful, really, but it’s hard to get past how much we just love Betsey’s character and her performance. Not sure why David Sabella (who is loved in the UK) wouldn’t win an award. Not really clear on your comment. I’d be comfortable saying Szot will most likely earn a best supporting, along with Stephen Boyer.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#162& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 8:44am

Paulo Szot is a stand out in the show. He is hilarious, and to hear his voice sing those pop songs is hilarious. Betsy Wolfe runs away with the show, in my opinion. 

I feel like this is the party show we all need to let go for 2.5 hours, and just enjoy the sugary confection that is &Juliet. After the past few years, let's just have fun for a while. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#163& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 9:59am

This was so much fun when I saw it in London when it first opened.  Any idea why Miriam Teak-Lee didn't transfer with it?  She deservingly won the Olivier for role.

It is so much fun - highly recommend

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#164& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:18am

VernonGersch said: "Any idea why Miriam Teak-Lee didn't transfer with it? She deservingly won the Olivier for role.”

I don’t remember exactly what she said but we were talking last year and the transfer came up and it seemed like it was an issue with work visas and things like that, not her not wanting to do it here.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#165& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:24am

I would also say having seen her recently in the role I would say her voice in my opinion sounds a little rough so I think it’s best she takes a break from the role! (But I find her timbre much more interesting and sorely missed from what I can hear on the new OBC). 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

chrishuyen
#166& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:30am

I found that my biggest issue with the show in London was Cassidy Janson's take on Anne Hathaway, a little too much of the cutesy manic-pixie-dreamgirl-esque schtick felt grating on me. Not sure how much of that is inherent in the text/direction so I'm curious to see Betsy Wolfe's approach. Her vocals on the cast album sound great (though I'll miss having a British Shakespeare).

Cowboysfan84
#167& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:35am

Is there any tips or tricks for the today tix rush? (Obviously it’s only been like 4 days of trying, just wanted to know if there’s any tricks I’m missing). Thanks!

Sutton Ross
#168& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:47am

I saw this last night and it was delightful. The sound cut out during a song and they left the stage. The stage manager came out and she got a huge round of applause. She said "Happy Halloween, everybody". Cute. After a few minutes, the magical show resumed.

I saw this in Toronto but I had children behind me asking "what is this about" "when can we leave" "why why why why" and drunk people in front of me, so I did not enjoy my time seeing it there.

Im so glad this is in New York. Everyone was amazing, Stark is so cute, Lorna is a star, Betsy is sensational as ever. But, the best singer in the cast is wasted here. Paulo has a gorgeous song and he lets the audience KNOW he is an opera singer but the score is so pop, I feel like the tepid applause he got compared to other songs was sad. His voice belongs in the Met, not in this show. Anyways, this show is so fun and everyone was having a great time. What more could you ask for in a musical these days? 

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#169& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 12:29pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "For those who have received tickets via TodayTix digital rush:

"

I did it yesterday. They are electronic and I see no reason why you couldn’t just screenshot the barcode and send it to someone. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

akhoya87
#170& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 2:03pm

For someone who didn't love this in London, is this worth another watch?  (That said, my London experience was soured by the fact that the person next to me was coughing the entire time, so I spent the first 20 minutes relocating myself.)

The songs were fun and high-energy, and the performances were generally good, but I found the book to be a little lackluster (too ambitious and not hitting everything).  But if the Broadway cast elevates the material, then I may go see this again.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#171& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 2:20pm

Spot-on with the book, akhoya87. Most of it suffers from Head Over Heels syndrome and just screams, “Look at us, we’re pro-feminist and woke!”

I wonder how this could’ve been with a female writer, if it would have made a difference. The choreographer is the only female member of the core creative team for this show (excluding designers). 

Oh look, a bibu!

Jmuep2
#172& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 2:49pm

I saw the preview last night, super-excited because this show hits a lot of my buttons. But EGADS, I can't describe how much I hated it. It lost me before the show even started -- the casual way the performers came out showing off for the audience and by the time Sands made in his entrance, all I could think is "I liked this better when Borle played is in SOMETHING ROTTEN! Can't I just watch that again?" 

My biggest problem is the horrible direction. The director seemed to give no direction other than "be as silly and goofy as you can be." That might work for a song, but for an entire show, it felt exhausting. Moreover, these actors aren't capable of that. I've seen high school improv students with better comic timing than Wolfe and Sands (along with better chemistry.) I felt humiliated for Szot and based on what I saw, I don't believe for a second La Barrie is a professional. I've seen more credible performances from a fish. The only two performers who didn't get the "just act stupid" note were Arroyo and Sullivan. Not coincidentally, theirs was the only storyline that carried any emotional weight -- though I didn't buy it for a second. 

The choreography was horrible and the director really doesn't know how to stage a musical number. Essentially it seems the director knows when a moment should land, but doesn't know how to achieve that without turning up the bass or having a confetti canon explode. 

There are things about the book to like, but there are also problems with it -- but again, the goal just seems to be silly. Nobody seems to care that the book actually undercuts the "down with the patriarchy" vibe that the show so desperately wants to project.

By the end of it, I genuinely felt embarrassed for everyone involved.

While some of the numbers were fun, I genuinely think I would've enjoyed a colonoscopy more. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#173& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 3:08pm

Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the show, Jmuep2. It sounds like you were looking for a more serious evening of true drama. I don't think anyone should go into this show with the expectation of anything other than silly, fun, lighthearted fare. I honestly feel like you have to be in a truly miserable mood not to just let go and enjoy yourself at this particular show.

Sutton Ross
#174& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/1/22 at 3:17pm

^Correct. How miserable. 

Videos