News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread - Page 7

BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread

PipingHotPiccolo
#150BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/1/24 at 10:39pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "bwayphreak234 said: "God, he is truly unbearable. Thisentire residency is just a huge vanity project of the highest degree."

Please, name a solo artist residency that isn’t a vanity project.
"

Yeah I'm still not understanding what the problem is here? Is he the first performer to do a solo residency? So many of yall  sound like bitter, jealous queens, but its hard to even place why THIS performer causes such delusional rage in people. 

You couldn't pay me to see this guy's concert, but I also wouldn't go see Idina Menzel's, for lack of a better example, which would be different...how, exactly?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#151BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/1/24 at 11:45pm

Two guest artists tonight! Laura Dreyfuss and Rachel Zegler! 

Back in 2019 for a few months, while Lunt-Fontanne didn't have a play or musical, they had a Broadway in Residence series. 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
BrodyFosse123
Azúcar!
#154BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 7:16pm

perfectliar said: "I guess the rules against attacking performers are being selectively enforced again.

I will never understand the level of boredom or delusion or whatever you want to call it that drives anyone to seek out threads here about people or shows they don't like with the express purposes of being vitriolic. Read a book. Go to a movie. Talk about something you actually enjoy. It's exhausting to read your troll posts when we're trying to get reviews, suggestions, and information
"

I have not read any attacks .  I have read valid opinions and criticisms.  You just don’t like them.

verywellthensigh
#155BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 7:19pm

Is all artistic creation in some form or another a "vanity project"?

Discuss.

PipingHotPiccolo
#156BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 10:02pm

Azúcar! said: "perfectliar said: "I guess the rules against attacking performers are being selectively enforced again.

I will never understand the level of boredom or delusion or whatever you want to call it that drives anyone to seek out threads here about people or shows they don't like with the express purposes of being vitriolic. Read a book. Go to a movie. Talk about something you actually enjoy. It's exhausting to read your troll posts when we're trying to get reviews, suggestions, and information
"

I have not read any attacks . I have read valid opinions and criticisms. You just don’t like them.
"

Opinions can be attacks. Ask me my opinions on Don Trump. They will be opinions that are attacks, I promise.

This "its just my opinion!" thing-- didnt we all realize what a silly response this is back in 7th grade? The opinions about Ben Platt are unhinged, petty to the point of stupidity. I have my suspicions about why his success seems to bug so many people but whatever the motivation, it should be called out for what it is every time. You can't get flat out dumber than "his one man show at the Palace Theater is all about him!" 

Azúcar!
#157BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 10:11pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "Azúcar! said: "perfectliar said: "I guess the rules against attacking performers are being selectively enforced again.

"

I have not read any attacks . I have read valid opinions and criticisms. You just don’t like them.
"

Opinions can be attacks. Ask me my opinions on Don Trump. They will be opinions that are attacks, I promise.

This "its just my opinion!" thing-- didnt we all realize what a silly response this is back in 7th grade? The opinions about Ben Platt are unhinged, petty to the point of stupidity. I have my suspicions about why his success seems to bug so many people but whatever the motivation, it should be called out for what it is every time. You can't get flat out dumber than "his one man show at the Palace Theater is all about him!"
"

That is your opinion.

PipingHotPiccolo
#158BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 10:32pm

yes, thats how allllll of this works. you're getting there.

Jarethan
#159BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 10:39pm

Azúcar! said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "Azúcar! said: "perfectliar said: "I guess the rules against attacking performers are being selectively enforced again.

"

"

"

That is your opinion.
"

I have to admit that I have no desire to see the show; there are very few people who I will pay to see in (what is essentially) a one-person show, especially when they do not have a lot of hit songs that I can expect to hear.

That said, IMO Platt gave on of the best theatrical performances of the 21st century in DEH, at least that I have seen.  That sounds super-hyperbolic, but I actually truly believe that to be the case.  He was also outstanding in Parade, and was definitely responsible for selling a lot of tickets to it. 

I cannot fathom all the active hate...is it envy that he has done so well this early in his career?  Is there the belief that he would be a nobody if it wasn't for daddy?  Well daddy may have helped him along, but daddy did not win the Tony award for best actor in a musical, in a strong season no less.  Daddy did not give the highly praised performance in Parade.  

These same people lament that Liza Minnelli has never won a Kennedy Center honor.  While I am in no way trying to compare Minnelli and Pratt; but, given the number of incredibly talented people whose careers haved never achieve real lift-off, who's to say that Liza's career would have been as successful, were she not a nepo baby.  I am not inviting a long debate here...just wondering whether she would have been cast in Flora, the Red Menace 60 years ago if she did not have the parents she had.  The amount of energy people waste on hating someone who has just turned 30 is mind-boggling to me.

Bette's Turban Profile Photo
Bette's Turban
#160BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 11:44pm

I see more of the hateful comments on social media. I think people here have shown restraint.  

PipingHotPiccolo
#161BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/2/24 at 11:57pm

restraint! they've RESTRAINED themselves from exposing their true hatred of this guy who.... well no one really know what he did, but it must be something HORRIBLE!

its funny how lil things like this can remind us of how trashy, bitter the most seemingly-normal people can be. 

QueenTwinnied
#162BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:59am

Please take a deep breath 

BrodyFosse123
#163BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 5:41am

For the record, I think Ben Platt as an actor and stage performer is fantastic. Loved him in DEAR EVAN HANSEN, PARADE and on Netflix’s THE POLITICIAN and the film THEATER CAMP. As a solo artist, I have zero interest. I do acknowledge his talent but his personal music and agenda is stuff I have zero interest in. Same way I am with countless actors who also have solo music careers. I’ll see their acting work but will never seek out their solo music work. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#164BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 6:18am

Singing a song from Gypsy with Adrienne Warren… 👀 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

stagepotato
#165BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 6:58am

GiantsInTheSky2 said: "Singing a song from Gypsy with Adrienne Warren… 👀"

I’m assuming coincidental. Ben Platt’s guest list and songs were probably picked out well before the Gypsy announcement last week. Unless he said they’re singing a song from Gypsy because of the announcement, I wouldn’t think much of it.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#166BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:03am

You’re probably right, stagepotato. I just love her work and would malfunction if she was also attached to the production. 

Ben just performed on the Today Show a few segments ago. He did a fun, pop-country, pro-gay anthem titled “All American Queen”. The song was perfectly fine, very digestible for general public, but the performance itself was off. I wouldn’t say low energy, but he didn’t have much to do, and the focus is all on him. It almost felt empty but it should have been an easy slam dunk. 

Again, no hate to him. I’m just wondering if he doesn’t have the right people to package and sell him. There’s several weird misfires, he was largely silent in the lead up, and there should have been a better campaign in both design and execution. I don’t know if he has a proper “team”, but if so, I feel they are letting him down. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.
Updated On: 6/3/24 at 09:03 AM

inception Profile Photo
inception
#167BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 9:34am

Jarethan said: "
These same people lament that Liza Minnelli has never won a Kennedy Center honor. While I am in no way trying to compare Minnelli and Pratt; but, given the number of incredibly talented people whose careers haved never achieve real lift-off, who'sto say that Liza's career would have been as successful, were she not a nepo baby. I am not inviting a long debate here...just wondering whether she would have been cast in Flora, the Red Menace 60years ago if she did not have the parents she had. 

Neither Judy Garlsnd nor Vincente Minnelli were multi-millionaire producers, and 17 year-old Liza  had already shown a burgeoning talent off-Broadway in 1963's revival of Best Foot Forward.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#168BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 11:07am

inception said: "Jarethan said: "
These same people lament that Liza Minnelli has never won a Kennedy Center honor. While I am in no way trying to compare Minnelli and Pratt; but, given the number of incredibly talented people whose careers haved never achieve real lift-off, who'sto say that Liza's career would have been as successful, were she not a nepo baby. I am not inviting a long debate here...just wondering whether she would have been cast in Flora, the Red Menace 60years ago if she did not have the parents she had.

Neither Judy Garlsnd nor Vincente Minnelli were multi-millionaire producers, and 17 year-old Liza had already shown a burgeoning talent off-Broadway in 1963's revival of Best Foot Forward."

Regardless of where you want to start the timeline, I'm pretty sure having a movie star/recording star and perhaps the most success director of movie musicals as parents, helped jumpstart Liza's career in musical theater. For example what else did Liza do in 1963? Appear on The Judy Garland Show. 

BrodyFosse123
#169BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 11:12am

Neither Judy Garland nor Vincente Minnelli were multi-millionaire producers, and 17 year-old Liza  had already shown a burgeoning talent off-Broadway in 1963's revival of Best Foot Forward.

You totally are connecting the wrong dots, my friend. Even Liza has admitted her being the daughter of Garland and Minnelli gave her the upper hand at auditions and her spot in BEST FOOT FORWARD helped to bring attention to that small production and she’s gone on to say that you definitely must have the goods if you hope to have a career. You have much more at stake than some unknown as your weaknesses are magnified. Even Jamie Lee Curtis has acknowledged this nepotism in her career. She knew she’d get the role in HALLOWEEN due to her mother having starred in Hitchcock’s PSYCHO. HALLOWEEN was a super low budget film and having their little film’s star being the daughter of the star of PSYCHO is a smart marketing move. She’s even said only an idiot wouldn’t see how brilliant this marketing tool was. 

Ben’s nepotism attack is the implication that his solo career is being funded by his dad. Liza nor Curtis’ folks produced/funded their projects. Their nepotism implications are regarding the high profile stance of their parents opening doors for them. Getting opportunities simply because of who their parents are/were, which both women have openly agreed were true. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#170BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 11:32am

It's worth noting that Danny Daniels, director of that Best Foot Forward revival, worked on The Judy Garland Show later the same year. Being the child of a celebrity or influential person doesn't necessarily mean your parents get you jobs directly- it also means people who hire you get access to your parents, as well.

It's also worth pointing out that the only project that Marc and Ben Platt have both been involved with is the ill-fated DEH movie, which as far as I can tell is what launched the whole nepo narrative with Platt. So while yes, obviously Marc Platt's influence could ensure his kids could have open doors, access, and connections- and his wealth ensures that his kids don't have to wait tables or worry about paying their rent like the rest of us- there is absolutely zero evidence that Marc has been funding Platt's solo ventures. It's bad-faith conjecture by people who seem not content to merely hate Platt based on what's available- they have to invent reasons to.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/3/24 at 11:32 AM

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#171BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 11:53am

Kad said: "It's also worth pointing out that the only project that Marc and Ben Platt have both been involved with is the ill-fated DEH movie, which as far as I can tell is what launched the whole nepo narrative with Platt. So while yes, obviously Marc Platt's influence could ensure his kids could have open doors, access, and connections- and his wealth ensures that his kids don't have to wait tables or worry about paying their rent like the rest of us- there is absolutely zero evidence that Marc has been funding Platt's solo ventures. It's bad-faith conjecture by people who seem not content to merely hate Platt based on what's available- they have to invent reasons to."

Yeah, I was just looking at the "Live at the Palace" Playbill and Marc Platt is not a producer. 

For sure, Ben Platt has benefited from nepotism but suggested everything in his career has been because of his father pulling the strings behind-the-scenes is pretty ridiculous.

For example, most of Ben roles have been playing weird, off putting people:  Pitch Perfect, Evan Hansen, Parade... 

No father would be like, I'll mastermind your career, but insist you only play socially awkward outcasts. 

theatreguy12
#172BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 12:11pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "For the record, I think Ben Platt as an actor and stage performer is fantastic. Loved him in DEAR EVAN HANSEN, PARADE and on Netflix’s THE POLITICIAN and the film THEATER CAMP. As a solo artist, I have zero interest. I do acknowledge his talent but his personal music and agenda is stuff I have zero interest in. Same way I am with countless actors who also have solo music careers. I’ll see their acting work but will never seek out their solo music work."

I agree 100%. He gave a tour de force in DEH. And he was superb in Parade. Doesn’t necessarily mean I have to experience his extracurriculars. I wish him well, but I will wait to see what his next play or musical is. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#173BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 1:18pm

Comps again available for performances this week through the normal channels. New York University student Union, actors equity lounge, Manhattan Plaza. etc…

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#174BEN PLATT: LIVE AT THE PALACE Thread
Posted: 6/3/24 at 1:21pm

SmokeyLady said: "Comps again available for performances this week through the normal channels. New York University student Union, actors equity lounge, Manhattan Plaza. etc…"

Can you shoot me a PM? I have a question for you but you're not accepting them.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

Videos