I had high hopes, but this was really bad lol

whew…those book scenes are the PITS 😩

BorisTomashevsky
#201K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/5/22 at 5:27pm

OffOnBwayHi said: "I had high hopes, but this was really bad lol

whew…those book scenes are the PITS ?
"

Truly dreadful. No walls on Broadway have ever heard worse writing. I don’t know how the “TV producer” guy doesn’t wince after everything he says. 

Fan123 Profile Photo
Fan123
#202K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/5/22 at 6:14pm

Interesting article about the show's redevelopment for Broadway. It does confirm something that I had been wondering about: the creators had to deal with the fact that, even in the few years since the original production, the real-life explosion of Kpop in the US has rendered the show's main original premise obsolete.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/04/theater/kpop-musical-broadway.html

Max Vernon: “When we first started writing, the main idea behind the show was ‘How could K-pop cross over in America?’ - it’s what these Korean artists have to sacrifice in their authenticity in order to be palatable to an American market. Obviously K-pop crossed over, so we asked different questions, like, ‘What’s going on in these artists’ mental state behind the scenes? What kind of pressure is that exerting on their psyche, on their relationships with other people in their band?’”

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#203K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/6/22 at 9:45pm

oh-bwayhereicome said: "There was also a tiny subplot about a member of F8 getting one of the RTMIS girls pregnant.."

I can't tell if this would be to much drama to add back into the plot at this point or just what it needs. Hearing that this was a part of the off broadway version gets the wheels in my head turning alot more then what it currently in the show.

I have talked with some friends that have seen it since I did over some of the changes but early in previews, they pointed out that the member of F8 that Brad replaced was kicked out (since then it's apparently been altered to him going solo) BUT it would be interesting with them all trying to cover up drama in front of the director that "going solo" is just a cover story because the member 'got a fan in trouble' and perhaps they can turn Ruby into more of a villainous character by the guys telling Brad at some point in act 1 or early in act 2 that Ruby "took care of it." So then in the Rtmis scene in act 2, you have one of the girls showing up late to the rehearsal and we see Ruby pull her aside and ask her to confirm it was 'taken care of.' It's just enough to put two and two together that the 'fan' was actually one of the Rtmis girls and Ruby pressured her into picking her career over the baby.

I just can't tell if adding such a thing to the plot at this point would be a help or a hindrance to it.

oh-bwayhereicome Profile Photo
oh-bwayhereicome
#204K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 12:05am

I just can't tell if adding such a thing to the plot at this point would be a help or a hindrance to it."

Yea like I really don’t know what they even have room to add. By going so deep into focusing on Mwe the other two groups are really forgotten. Like even F8’s plot didn’t really get the emotional depth and attention for what could be very interesting story. 

Meanwhile for RTMIS we barely get to know them at all, I can’t really distinguish their individual personalities unlike F8. It also caused for there to be less audience reaction to their final numbers, because we really didn’t get to connect to them at all. 

BorisTomashevsky
#205K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 7:00am

Yeah that finale was a major shrug fest.

”No cameras, just you and us! Let’s have a party!”

Well, the cameras weren’t that noticeable all along anyway and we had no stake in them. So it was hard to share any joy about “no cameras.”

And then we just watched them do what they’ve done all along, passionless singing with some precise moves. Nothing had changed for us. 

The union members in the building must be cringing at every turn. They know good from bad. 

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#206K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 11:33am

I was notified that tomorrow’s matinee was cancelled and that I would be getting a refund.

Guess I dodged a bullet.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#207K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 11:49am

Melissa25 said: "I was notified that tomorrow’s matinee was cancelled and that I would be getting a refund.

Guess I dodged a bullet.
"

Why would they cancel tomorrow afternoon, but not tonight?

Oh look, a bibu!

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#208K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 11:51am

EDSOSLO858 said: "Melissa25 said: "I was notified that tomorrow’s matinee was cancelled and that I would be getting a refund.

Guess I dodged a bullet.
"

Why would they cancel tomorrow afternoon, but not tonight?
"

My guess is that there is likely a production element issue (which led last week’s matinee to be cancelled), or they need time to implement new show changes.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

hayden6
#209K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 12:02pm

I saw the first preview and then went back over the weekend -- I really love the changes they're making to the book scenes. The changes make RTMIS feel more necessary, answer the questions I had about F8, and overall I think it moves really well.

It's not a traditional Broadway show but I love it for that. It's so fun and I don't know that you'll find a more talented company on Broadway right now.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#210K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 12:10pm

Abraham tweeted something about wanting to be at the show tonight, so my guess is an understudy is going on for the first time, but I'm not sure who. 

https://twitter.com/realabrahamlim/status/1590002113232654336?s=20&t=63-1U1llzXp4lyboa-VO3g

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

BorisTomashevsky
#211K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 12:24pm

Probably canceled because of the low morale that would result from having a low-attendance matinee crowd. 
Won’t be a tech issue especially considering how many days have passed with no issues, and there’s nothing special going on with the tech anyway. The POTUS set was more technical and impressive. 

kwoc91
#212K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 3:03pm

BorisTomashevsky said: "Probably canceled because of the low morale that would result from having a low-attendance matinee crowd.
Won’t be a tech issue especially considering how many days have passed with no issues, and there’s nothing special going on with the tech anyway. The POTUS set was more technical and impressive.
"

Why are you so hell-bent on trashing this show? 

BorisTomashevsky
#213K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 3:19pm

Where’s the trashing? What have I said that’s outside the realm of reality? 
Want me to say “They canceled because half the cast got stuck on the subway”? It would be a lie, but would that make today easier for everyone?

Updated On: 11/8/22 at 03:19 PM

Doug Giffin Profile Photo
Doug Giffin
#214K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 3:23pm

Look, there's a bunch or possible reasons here, especially considering it's still in previews.

I enjoyed the show and am looking forward to seeing it again. Sure, it's fine to give your opinion, but no need to drag a show in multiple posts. If it's not your thing, that's cool, but don't yuck someone else's yum.

BorisTomashevsky
#215K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 3:27pm

LOL But I haven’t repeated myself. Anything I’ve said today has been in response to something someone else posted. Fresh thoughts. Forum. Welcome to it. 

Updated On: 11/8/22 at 03:27 PM

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#216K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 4:43pm

I just read this show grossed $139k last week. Oof. That's got to sting and I'd be shocked if that was enough to cover running costs. Average ticket price was $35. 

I don't think word-of-mouth is going to help this one out because I've yet to hear anything good from friends. Even my friends who are K-Pop fans have said they didn't like it and felt it was a missed opportunity. I'm sorry to hear all of this because the Off-Broadway production got great word-of-mouth. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#217K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 4:55pm

They announced tomorrows matinee is canceled. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#218K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 5:21pm

They also cancelled last week's Wednesday matinee. Maybe there's a clause where they cancel a show if there's fewer tickets sold then their are cast members in the show?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Det95
#219K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 5:29pm

I am absolutely not the demographic for this show. The only K-pop I listen to is when BTS comes up on one of my playlists. I only saw this show cause I was able to get $35 rush tickets, and the group I was with didn’t want to wait in line at TKTS. The cast is obviously working very hard, but this just wasn’t the show for me. If their average ticket price is their rush ticket price the production team has a lot of thinking to do. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#220K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 7:01pm

One of the cast members stated on Instagram that they’re filming b-roll footage tomorrow afternoon 2-4pm. 

hayden6
#221K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 7:31pm

ClumsyDude15 said: "Abraham tweeted something about wanting to be at the show tonight, so my guess is an understudy is going on for the first time, but I'm not sure who.

https://twitter.com/realabrahamlim/status/1590002113232654336?s=20&t=63-1U1llzXp4lyboa-VO3g
"

Patrick Park is going on as Wooyeon!

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#222K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 8:00pm

From an insider, this show is done on Nov. 27.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#223K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 8:03pm

ACL2006 said: "From an insider, this show is done on Nov. 27."

...one week post-opening? NO money in the bank to even attempt keeping it going for a few weeks?

Didn't realize this had such a long preview period. October 13 start, Nov 20 opening.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#224K-POP On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/8/22 at 8:14pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "ACL2006 said: "From an insider, this show is done on Nov. 27."

...one week post-opening? NO money in the bank to even attempt keeping it going for a few weeks?

Didn't realize this had such a long preview period. October 13 start, Nov 20 opening.
"

It has no advance, even into the holiday season.

Videos