pixeltracker

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)- Page 9

The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#200The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:20am

These supporting actress in a play noms are…interesting. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#201The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:22am

I was surprised Jefferson Mays didn't get a nomination for Best Actor in a Play. He was amazing in A CHRISTMAS CAROL performing all those roles!

I also hoped Michael Arden would get nominated for  Best Direction in a Play for A CHRISTMAS CAROL too but am happy he got nominated for Best Direction in a Musical for PARADE.

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 09:22 AM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#202The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:23am

No Jordan Dobson???!!!

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#203The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:23am

Wow! I way underestimated Cost of Living. Easily my biggest mistake. 

I am SHOCKED that Sharon D. Clarke was snubbed. There is no justice in this world. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#204The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:26am

jkcohen626 said: "I am SHOCKED that Sharon D. Clarke was snubbed. There is no justice in this world."

It’s unforgivable.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#205The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:26am

I thought Alex J. Grayson would get a nod for sure.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#206The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:29am

Was anyone rooting for Gaten for Sweeney by any chance?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Broadway61004
#207The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:29am

TaffyDavenport said: "No Jordan Dobson???!!!"

They're having a special 2nd Tony ceremony just for Bad Cinderella. That's the only way to explain this.

briansb
#208The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:30am

Camelot making best revival yet Burnap not making best actor… biggest disappointment this morning for me. (Double) Soo shut out is disappointing as well. Jordan making it in despite both his costars not is surprising, but happy for him.

Surprised no Keil in best director just from the standpoint that Sweeney had so much love across the board nomination-wise. It may as well be Into the Woods vs Parade for revival but I’m not counting out Sweeney yet.

taragel2
#209The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:31am

I'm surprised Anna Uzele was out and (pleasantly) surprised Sara Bareilles was in. But Uzele seems like one of the biggest snubs? 

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#210The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Marcel Spears is the most unforgivable snub, to me.  Happy about Nikki Crawford, though! 

willep
#211The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

Jefferson Mays 100% should’ve been nominated in my opinion. Stunning work.

PipingHotPiccolo
#212The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)

more observations:

* ouch to Akimbo, because they don't get the double-digit nomination media blitz to work with (and NY NY does!)

* Leading the way, SLIH will likely take home some awards- actor? Choreo? Book? Supp Actor?- and Akimbo still looks set to win the big one. 

* Pippa Soo is The Snubbee of the Year here--- TWO brilliant portrayals of classic musical theater roles, ignored. 

* Camelot not getting nominated for Book or Director or its Leads, but then for Revival-- I enjoyed this plenty, but that just seems political and/or a grudge against Dancin

* Aside from snubbing Burnap and Soo for Ryan and Courtney, the lead acting categories make alot of sense on the musical side

* Someone educate me: with only 4 nominees, the choice to snub Linney seems particularly harsh, no?

* With only 3 nominees for Play Revival, the choice to snub Sidney Burstein (and everyone in it aside from one standout supporting actress) is HEARD.

* John David Washington never stood a chance, and I can accept that Danielle Brooks was overlooked, too, though I thought she was very good. But Sam Jackson over Michael Potts is a crime. 

* All for the Cost of Living adoration, but the ONLY actor not nominated is Gregg Mozgala? The weakest link in that cast was Zayas, so this feels wrong. And while Kara Young was fine, I'm surprised to see her over Sharon Clarke here (or even Emily Bergl, based on reports).

*  Emblematic of how odd these nominations are as a whole: seems to be resistance to ALL the revivals we were so excited about?  I thought the supporting casts of Sweeney and ITW and Parade would be all over the place here, but no Alex Joseph Grayson, no Gaten, no Kennedy, no Creel...

Updated On: 5/2/23 at 09:31 AM

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#213The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:33am

Gaten not getting nominated is so upsetting. I truly thought he was the stand out in Sweeney.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#214The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:33am

I'd like to point out that I completely forgot about KPOP, but glad the nominators didn't fully.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

GoldenGiggery
#215The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:34am

SUUUPER excited for Cost of Living, Aint No Mo, Topdog/Underdog, and KPop to as many noms as they all did. Glad that the voters saw merit in these shows where many here dismissed some of these. 

Guess we can expect imminent closing announcements from Bad Cinderella and Dancin then. Complete shutouts? Giving Almost Famous that last score spot. Damn, they REALLY hated BC! 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#216The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:34am

I’m kinda shocked the Sondheim revivals didn’t get some more love. 

Kimberly Akimbo is easily taking home six Tonys, including the Triple Crown. Cooley and Clancy have already won just by being nominated. 

Oh look, a bibu!

A Theatre Fan 2023
#217The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:37am

It's outrageous that Suzie Miller's wonderful text for "Prima Facie" was overlooked for Best Play! 

amiyagi
#218The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:39am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "With only 3 nominees for Play Revival, the choice to snub Sidney Burstein (and everyone in it aside from one standout supporting actress) is HEARD."

It was nominated for best revival though?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#219The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:40am

FLarnhill said:

"Chastain's winning Best Actress. Her play's been nominated for the big award while Prima Facie failed to get that. Sorry, Comer."

Balderdash.

PipingHotPiccolo
#220The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:42am

taragel2 said: "I'm surprised Anna Uzele was out and (pleasantly) surprised Sara Bareilles was in. But Uzele seems like one of the biggest snubs?"

She got harsh reviews; its more surprising that Colton Ryan got in. Laura Linney seems like the biggest acting snub, though overall the strangest outcome has to be Pippa Soo this year.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#221The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:42am

FLarnhill said: "Chastain's winning Best Actress. Her play's been nominated for the big award while Prima Facie failed to get that. Sorry, Comer.”

No.

PipingHotPiccolo
#222The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:43am

amiyagi said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "With only 3 nominees for Play Revival, the choice to snub Sidney Burstein (and everyone in it aside from one standout supporting actress) is HEARD."

"

According to Playbill.com, there are only three revival nominees (Piano Lesson, Dolls House and Topdog). Could be an error.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#223The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:44am

Kimberly Akimbo was never going to crack double-digit nominations simply because it was essentially non-competitive in the design categories against much splashier shows. The nominations typically skew toward bigger productions in those categories. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#224The 76th Annual Tony Award Nominations (2023)
Posted: 5/2/23 at 9:45am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "amiyagi said: "PipingHotPiccolo said: "With only 3 nominees for Play Revival, the choice to snub Sidney Burstein (and everyone in it aside from one standout supporting actress) is HEARD."

"

According to Playbill.com, there are only three revival nominees (Piano Lesson, Dolls House and Topdog). Could be an error.
"

It was an error. It's fixed now.

Videos