News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Worst Theatre Experience

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#1Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:02am

What was your worst theatre experience (Dont just say "the show was horrible", Have more reasons) My example..

One(of the many times I saw it) Time during the 7 PM sunday show of Avenue Q my experience happend.
Two men (in there 20's or so) walked into the show about 10 or so minutes after it began. Im 99% sure they just came from a ending Yankee game as they had jerseys, hats, and were drunk.
So one of the men was seated right behind me and he felt it nessecary for the entire first act to complain about how stupid that show was and make comments about it. The worst was during "everyones a little bit racist" when princetons says "mexican bus boys should learn god damn english" the man shouted out "ITS TRUE" and then went on to tell his friend how its america not mexico.. But the whole show he kept (loudly) saying "You spent 70 dollars on this??"

At Intermission I look to the right of me (I dont use the arm rest so I didnt notice) the man had his foot on MY arm rest (I was in the aisle seat) and he was wearing a flip flop..I turn around to say somthing and notice him RIGHT behind me with his head leaning on my chair. I didnt know what to do so I pushed his foot off of my arm rest. That I guess startled him and woke him up. He then continued to talk to his friend about how stupid the show was.

Act 2 started and during "there is life outside your apartment" I guess he finally "had enough" of the show and stood up and told his friend he was leaving. He stood in the middle of the aisle and asked his friend if he was coming and the 2 just walked out.

It completly ruined the show for me that day and I was glad I had seen it other times before that because that would have turned me off the show completly.

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

RentBoy86
#2re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:17am

I would say mine was seeing West Side Story this past March.

I don't normally shell out a full price ticket for anything, but considering this is a classic, a high profile revival, and I just seen Laurent's Gypsy twice and read his book; I figured it was worth it.

First off, I was completely let down by the set. If you read my posts, you'll know I'm a big fan of sets. I don't know why, but they always interest me. Anyways, the sets were awful and minimal. I understand the show is about dance, so having a few set pieces didn't bother me, but to have them be a forced perspective really threw me off. If you're going for a grittier approach or a more realistic approach - don't have a stylized set. It works for Hairspray, not for Romeo and Juliet.

Anyways, the actual experience was crap as well. My seat was fine. I was in the Mezz, but was a little off to the side. When I see a show, I like to lean forward with my hands on my knees. I'm tall, and it's just more comfortable that way. The teenage girl next to me starts complaining every time someone speaks in Spanish. "I don't get what they're saying." And then the older ladies in front of me also complain and keep saying "what" and turning on their cell phones to use as light so they can read their Playbills. At intermission, the lady behind me taps me on the shoulders and asks me not to sit like I'm sitting because it makes it harder for her to see, and she paid good money for her seats. So, attempting to be a good human being, I comply and sit straight up. Needless to say, I'm uncomfortable, and with the horrible staging, boring numbers, Spanish songs, and not much scenery to stare at, I was bored and felt like I had wasted my hard earned cash. I could have seen 5 shows for that one show. Oh well.

lmw8880
#2re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:27am

In the early 2000's when cell phones first started to really take off, I was at Miss Saigon when this woman's cell phone went off. So the show begins the overture starts and this woman is talking loudly on her phone, "yeah, I'm at some show on Broadway." I don't know how the people with her weren't annoyed. I walked over to her and asked her to get off her phone. She ignored me. I got an usher. He walked backed with me to speak to this woman. Before getting off the phone, the woman sighed and said, "I have to go. Someone (rhymes with) witch just got me into trouble." She turned around and glared at me the entire first act off and on. During intermission she then left. It was the most annoying experience that I have ever had.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#3re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:41am

At intermission, the lady behind me taps me on the shoulders and asks me not to sit like I'm sitting because it makes it harder for her to see, and she paid good money for her seats.

Yeah, I'm with the lady on this one. It pisses me off when I'm in the mezzanine and someone in front of me decides to lean forward. Depending on the theatre & sightlines, doing this could completely cut off the view for the person behind you. (City Center, I'm looking your way.) If they are directly in front of me, I tell them to sit back, but when they're a few rows down, in the middle of a section, it is so frustrating because it's almost impossible to get their attention.

Doesn't matter if it's more comfortable for you to sit that way. If it's that painful, buy an Orchestra seat where you won't get in anyone's way or sit in a row with no one behind you. It may be more comfortable for someone to stand rather than sit and yet you'll never hear that as an argument for someone standing at their seat during the show.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 9/19/09 at 01:41 AM

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#4re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:46am

I agree, there are mezzanines/balconies (New Amsterdam, for example) that if a person is leaning forward you can't see anything, they block your view completely.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

kasim Profile Photo
kasim
#5re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 2:20am

eh you dont want to sit in front of me :) I lean :)

Although i think it would block you more if i sit straight up i am 6'2"

FWIW ... not sure if this is worse but funniest. I was at rock of ages and the crowd was fairly quiet. This one very large man and his gf where there the aisle back. They were having a good time singing along (bit too loudly for my liking) but kept throwing there arms and getting into it.

I could tell it drove the couple by them nutz.

Sooo yeah funnny for me cause well it wasnt me.

Weez Profile Photo
Weez
#6re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 4:37am

People who lean forward are the devil. I mean, you may be having trouble seeing, but it shows no consideration whatsoever for the people behind you if you put your comfort and ability to see above those of EVERYONE BEHIND YOU. I was in a restricted view seat once. Could only see about half the stage. The woman in front of me, also in restricted view, leaned forward, and lo! I couldn't see ANYTHING, and she got really pissy when I asked her to lean back. Luckily, the ushers were kind enough not to notice when I reassigned myself a decent seat at the interval, and I saw the second half just fine. I hope the nasty leany woman continued to not enjoy her rubbish view.

You're only allowed to lean if there's no one behind you. If there's anyone behind you and you lean, you're a disgusting selfish person. And 6'2" fella, y'ever heard of slouching? No one wants you to sit up straight and tall, they just want to be able to see, and leaning isn't any more helpful to them than sitting up straight and tall. If you're THAT TALL that you know you will ALWAYS block someone else's view, then don't you think it's your responsibility to consider that when booking your ticket? There's back rows, boxes, aisle seats, all sorts of places where being tall doesn't have to inhibit the enjoyment of those around you. If there's someone significantly shorter than me sitting behind me, I always make the effort to slouch as much as will enable us both to see as much of the stage as possible (first because it's the polite thing to do, and second because I don't want some irate mother coming at me in the interval for blocking precious Snotleigh's view XD). It's really not rocket science, and if I'm not comfortable, I can always get up and walk around at the interval. Sitting uncomfortably for a couple of hours probably isn't going to cripple you.

Sorry, but leaners REALLY bug me. I'm rather more sympathetic towards tall people, because of course they can't really help it, but leaners CAN.

EDIT: it occurred to me that a great chunk of Broadway theatres only have the orchestra and the mezzanine. In the UK, a great majority of theatres have at least three levels, and quite a lot have four. For Broadway theatre-goers, it's only the mezzanine leaners that are problematic, and the mezzanine is no more than half the theatre. For West End theatre-goers, it's the same in that the leaners in the upper parts are the only really problematic ones, but completely different in that the upper parts comprise up to three-quarters of the theatre. More often than not, I'm up in the ramparts, and we have a lot more in the way of ramparts than you guys, so if you think I'm getting needlessly cross about this, please bear the maths in mind. My fury is not groundless or unnecessary, it comes from a LOT of bitter - I say BITTER - experience. ^_^

Updated On: 9/19/09 at 04:37 AM

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#7re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 7:55am

Yes - seriously, TALL guy, - when you're in the mezzanine or balcony and you sit up straight, you'll block a little of the bottom of the stage. If you lean forward you'll block the WHOLE thing. You could be only 4 feet tall but if you lean, you'll block the stage for the people behind you.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

WishingOnlyWounds2
#8re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 9:39am

Spring Awakening-

-a young couple leaning into each other the whole show blocking my view and also making out, which was, uhm, distracting.

-two older ladies sitting next to me who had no idea what the show was about.

Need I say more?

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#9re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 10:09am

People leaning forward in the upper levels. Is it necessary because the stage decks extend out towards the audience more than they did years ago? A designer or director's choice to bring the show closer to the audience and feel more intimate?

husk_charmer
#10re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 10:16am

I'm tall, and a sloucher. Yea it's usually hell on my knees and back, but I figure it's just easier than being told to move alot.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

Rudy2 Profile Photo
Rudy2
#11re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 10:44am

I lean forward sometimes, but usually because someone taller is seated in front of me and blocking a portion of the set. I'm short. If I'm in someone's way, though, then I try to get out of it.

Feb. 28 - Looped, Feb. 28 - Next to Normal, March 4 - Hair, March 11 - A Little Night Music, March 24 - Time Stands Still, April 6 - La Cage Aux Folles, April 10 - Anyone Can Whistle (City Center), April 10 - Looped, May 9 - Enron, May 15 - A Little Night Music, May 15 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Behanding In Spokane, May 30 - A Little Night Music, June 20 - A Little Night Music, June 23 - Red, June 23 - Sondheim on Sondheim, July 13 - A Little Night Music, July 18 - The Grand Manner (Lincoln Center)

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#12re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 10:45am

Worst recent experience was seating during West Side Story.

Ushers seat late comers (which are plentiful) at the start of each musical number. This meant feet clamoring through the theater and folks having to get up from the seats for the first 45 minutes at the start of every song right through Maria, Tonight and America.

When folks complained to the box office, we were told that since the show is sold out and there is no standing room at the Palace, that they have no recourse but to seat everyone no matter when they arrive.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#13re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 10:57am

The one time I paid full price with my own money for SPRING AWAKENING, the woman in front of me was visibly intoxicated and kept rubbing and squeezing her husbands leg. Then she began to express her disgust at the goings-on onstage. Her husband seemed to be enjoying it, as he had a smile on his face, was applauding, and was even getting into the music. His wife, on the other hand, was doing none of those things. Not even applauding. Then she even took it upon herself to audibly tell her husband to "stop it." "You're embarrassing me," she said. So he didn't smile, applaud, or get into the show for the rest of the first act. She proceeded to kiss his neck from time to time and express disgust more and more often. Many "ugh"s and "oh my GOD"s, later, the first act ended and she jetted out of there, dragging her husband behind her. Thank God.

What makes me the most upset is that her husband was CLEARLY enjoying the show and she forced him to leave. I truly don't understand some people.

trombonist
#14re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 12:55pm

I've got to side with everyone else who hates leaners. If you like to (or claim you have to) sit leaning forward, get a seat in the last row of the mezzanine or balcony. Then you can lean as much as you want. If you're sitting closer in the mezzanine and choose to lean forward, you're plain and simple rude and should expect to be told to sit back in your seat. Repeatedly if necessary. When I saw Equus, there was a guy in front of me who had been enough times the house staff all recognized him (this happened to be opening night, so I shudder to think how often he'd been during previews), yet he insisted on leaning forward constantly. I asked him to sit back. The person next to me asked him to sit back. Over and over. At intermission, I moved to a different seat where I didn't have to deal with him and overheard him complaining to an usher that he was being disturbed by people asking him to change positions and did actually hear the usher tell him that he needed to sit back in his seat because it did block the view of the people behind him (obviously she wasn't around to see him doing it during act 1 sadly). He didn't return to his seat after intermission, so I'm not sure where he went. Probably ruining someone else's experience of the play in another section where the usher was more lean-friendly. At least I was away from him.

As for the 6ft 2 guy, most mezzanines are raked enough that unless you have a small child behind you, the odds of you totally blocking the person behind you's view is very slim.

Lumen2 Profile Photo
Lumen2
#15re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:02pm

I'll save from describing any truly horrible theatre I've seen and just stick to audiences.

When I was invited to see "The Little Mermaid" a family of like 87 immigrants decided to sit behind me and sing almost every song off-key and in Spanish. I was not amused.

And when I went to see Spring Awakening the first time, a group of three middle-aged women decided to stand up during "I Believe" to get a better look at Jonathan Groff's ass. Again, I was not amused.

saveusmike Profile Photo
saveusmike
#16re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:02pm

It really urks me when some people dont applaude after numbers.
Once during Wicked I sat next to a woman who did not clap ONCE during the entire show. After every number and applause she just sat there. As soon as curtain call started she walked out (We were in row cc which is extremly close to the stage). I can understand if you dont like a show but atleast have and show some respect to its performers who give their all every night.

Btw I feel the cort theatre has the WORST Mezzanine. When I saw your welcome america. I did not see a single thing unless Will went to the very back of the stage.

"Everything in life, is only for now" -Avenue Q

iflip4musicals Profile Photo
iflip4musicals
#17re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:20pm

I will have to second Little Mermaid. I decided to just give it a chance and get a rush seat. I was seated next to a Spanish speaking family and the child was about 4 and in her Mermaid dress. The parents felt the need to translate each line (dialogue and song) rather loudly. On top of that, the families both in front and behind me had just visited the M&M store and had the super annoying crinkly bags. It seemed as though the bags were never ending! On top of that, it was The Little Mermaid... need I say more?

"I've never encountered such religiously, you know, loyal fans as Broadway musical theater fans. It's amazing." --Allison Janney

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#18re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:26pm

Worst audience I have ever had to deal with was probably at a Saturday matinee of Coram Boy...I was towards the back of the orchestra and my two friends and I were probably the best-behaved people there and we were at least 3-4 decades younger than everybody else. The ladies behind us decided it would be a good idea to start having a loud conversation about 15 minutes before the end of the show and it was seriously the most annoying thing ever.

Also the last time I saw Next to Normal was Aaron's first back and there was a group of 4 people behind me in the mezz who hardly spoke English and kept asking each other what was going on, and it was nearly always during the quieter moments of the show. I shot them some dirty looks, and they were quieter during the 2nd act but it was really irritating.

kryst22 Profile Photo
kryst22
#19re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:39pm

Mine had to be RENT on tour that came around the time the DVD had come out. There was a supreme lack of RENTheads compared to it coming to a nearby city the year prior. There was a mother and young daughter (probably about 10-11) sitting next to me. Mom insisted on singing every song to her daughter, and I could tell she'd only seen the movie because she didn't know the songs that had been left out of the movie. Her daughter kept asking, "Where's Mimi?" every time she wasn't on stage.

I ended up moving to the rear orchestra seats for the remainder of the show. At the stage door they basically ignored the line that had already been set up and pushed their way in so the little girl could talk to "Mimi".

Also really disappointed that no one was wanting to Moo. Just a dead crowd all around

FindingNamo
#20re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 1:55pm

You should have told the little girl the character's name was Mumu. That would've killed two birds with one stone.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#21re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 4:19pm

Really? "A family of like 87 immigrants?" Be upset that people were singing along loudly (in whatever language), obviously. And certainly having people try to translate an entire show audibly is incredibly rude. But there are ways to discuss that without snide racial overtones.

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#22re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 4:29pm

Just wait until people start claiming that the audience at The Color Purple, The Wiz and Raisin in the Sun were the "worst behaved ever"...

And we've been over the leaning issue multiple times with RentBoy and he ignores it every time. As long as he's comfortable, he doesn't care if he's creating a worst theatre experience for everyone else.

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#23re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 4:34pm

The speech police have joined with the PC police re "snide racial overones". I cannot believe how thin skinned (that was not racial by the way) people can be. Maybe people have refrained from mentioning the Color Purple, The Wiz & Raisin for that very reason - they don't want to be crapped on.

RIP Free Speech

Poster Emeritus

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#24re: Worst Theatre Experience
Posted: 9/19/09 at 4:43pm

It's not the entire audiences in those shows...

Just the loud folks.

I think TCP brought out a bunch of people who were used to sitting in front of their TV's and could yell whatever they wanted.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Videos