Midnight Radio
Pianist3912
#22010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 10:03am

Oof. Not impressed.

Midnight Radio
#22010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 10:07am

The clothing is what really kills me. They couldn't just use silhouettes? Or have each person wearing a signature costume from different landmark productions?

It is just so... pedestrian.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#32010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 10:09am

Fail

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#42010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 10:10am

Because that would get people to watch the show...

~Steven

Caroline2 Profile Photo
Caroline2
#52010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 10:53am

I don't hate it, but it does seem lazy. What made the designers think THAT was a relevant idea? The costumes are random...I just don't get it.

wonkit
#62010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:15am

Interesting but not exciting.

Mattbrain
#72010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:29am

For once, I have to agree with y'all. Eww.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#82010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:35am

This reminds me of something a high school student would draw in an art class.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Piper3500 Profile Photo
Piper3500
#92010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 11:37am

I am a minimalist and monochromatic fan, but...this misses the mark on less is more.

"it's a dirty little war"

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#102010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 12:01pm

Ehhh...not crazy about it either.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#112010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 1:04pm

I take back what I said. That is fugly.

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#122010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 7:17pm

Yuck.

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#132010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 7:21pm

It's not even a good concept. Why would black and white be a good idea on an award show poster that is intended to CATCH attention? You hang that up and no one will respond to it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#142010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 7:29pm

Is that a high school flyer for a glee club concert?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#152010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 7:49pm

I am agog by the sheer ugliness of this poster.

It not only doesn't make me make me want to watch the broadcast, it actually makes me not want to watch it.

But when you think about it, I suppose it does capture the spirit of this mundane and boring season.

....but the world goes 'round

Actor2
#162010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 8:28pm

Does anyone else agree the text on the bottom of the poster is slightly redeeming? I think it looks cool, but the actual title - "Tony Awards"...No.

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#172010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 8:31pm

Reminds me of that nightclub scene in CONNIE & CARLA when everyone suddenly stands up, arms outstretched, singing "Don't Cry For Me Argentina."

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#182010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 8:49pm

That poster might have been appropriate for the Tony Awards broadcast in 1976. Not so much for 2010.

romgitsean
#192010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 9:07pm

I feel like they hired a thirteen year old girl who barely knows how to use Photoshop to design this.

Recent Broadway and Off-Broadway:: Carrie, Merrily, Ionescopade
Next On The List :: Clybourne Park, Once, Streetcar, BOM

PiraguaGuy2
#202010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 9:12pm

THE 2010 TONY AWARDS LOGO: A GAY FANTASIA ON NATIONAL THEMES
by Tony Kushner

BOSS AT AMERICAN THEATRE WING: So Jim, we're releasing the new Tonys logo in about an hour for the press, can you email me the finished .jpeg real quick?
JIM: Yeah, no problem.
Inner monologue: Crap, I got nothing. What the hell am I gonna do?
Slowly but surely, Jim crosses to his computer and types "theatre" into his Microsoft Office Clip Art Search. He smiles.
JIM: Bingo.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#212010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 9:16pm

I am agog by the sheer ugliness of this poster.

Amen!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#222010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 9:45pm

Now THIS will draw viewers

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#232010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 10:31pm

PERHAPS their angle is that during the broadcast, this image as it appears during the ceremony will suddenly receive "light" and the actors on the image are revealed in full color -- showing the contrast from the plain black & white to full-blast stage lights. This is the ONLY way I can see this concept being of any worth. Still, even if that's the case -- THIS IS NOT AN EYE-CATCHING POSTER! It will get lost with all the other low-budget event posters going on in New York where they get any schmuck to use Microsoft Word and clipart.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#242010 Tony Awards Poster... ew
Posted: 4/26/10 at 10:47pm

Give me 15 minutes & I could come up with something better than this.

Videos