pixeltracker

Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4

ThankstoPhantom
#1Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 1:53pm

Via her Facebook Fanpage (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jennifer-Hope-Wills/16065924466?ref=ts):

Well folks..just wanted to pop in to let you know that it is official...the "Music of the Night" is over for me. I will play my final performance in "The Phantom of the Opera" on Sat. Sept. 4. I can't believe over four years have past since I started and I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you who have sup...ported me every step of the way. Blessings to all....xo

She was very well-received in this role. I recollect that she was alternate on Broadway for only two months before they had her be principal on tour for a summer, then return as Broadway alternate for another three-and-a-half months before taking on principal status.

I think she's been a great benefit to the production.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...
Updated On: 8/7/10 at 01:53 PM

castlestreet Profile Photo
castlestreet
#2Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 1:59pm

I've seen her twice in the role, once on the road and once on Broadway and truly enjoyed her performance.

Any news on a replacement? I'm taking my girls to see the show for the very first time the weekend of the Flea Market.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#2Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:17pm

I don't think anyone gets to play any role on Broadway for 4 yrs! Wow, she is a great person and a great talent. She probably wants to spend more time with her family, now that she is a mother.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

ThankstoPhantom
#3Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:19pm

^It's a wonderful opportunity to be invited back that often, but your statement is inaccurate. Many people have played roles far longer than that, and not just in PHANTOM.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Andante Profile Photo
Andante
#4Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:29pm

Nothing but best wishes for Jennifer: she is a truly wonderful Christine Daae.

I'd be interested to hear news of a replacement as well: perhaps Raab will get promoted to full-time Christine? Orthey'll bring back Julie Hanson? :)
Updated On: 8/7/10 at 02:29 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#5Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:31pm

The one time I saw Phantom on Broadway, she was Christine -- I couldn't believe any long-running show could look as fresh as that production did, mostly due to her performance. So vibrant! Totally would love to see her in whatever's next.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#6Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:32pm

She's a very talented singer/actress. I'd love to see her originate a role next.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

ThankstoPhantom
#7Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 2:41pm

LizzieCurry- I agree 100% with your statement. This production looks and seems as if it has been open for a mere few seasons, and Wills' portrayal certainly helped lift the show further in that direction.

And yes, she needs to headline a new show!

doombuggy25 Profile Photo
doombuggy25
#8Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 5:58pm

Is Susan Owen still in the show. She had been the Princess/Christine 2nd cover forever. I saw her and she was absolutely delightfully. She read a little old, but still very suitable, her voice is very youthful. She'd be a wonderful choice to at least promote to alternate.

Congrats to Jennifer on her outstanding run. I saw her very early on, and she was excellent, so I'm sure she only got better with time.

AEA AGMA SM
#9Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 9:41pm

"Orthey'll bring back Julie Hanson?"

Not that it would completely take her out of the running, but Julie Hanson is currently scheduled to do State Fair in St. Louis through October 3.

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#10Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 10:15pm

I loved Jennifer when I saw her.

But please no Julie Hanson, or Marni Rabb. Yes they are ok in the role but I just cant listen to them sing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#11Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 11:05pm

Whoever it happens to be, this role will certainly be a wonderful opportunity for the actress who gets to play it.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#12Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/7/10 at 11:19pm

I saw Jennifer with Howard McGillin back in 2007. They were both marvelous.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#13Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 12:42am

I saw Jennifer back in June 2009. She was incredible with Howard McGillin. The chemistry between the two of them was something else. I can't wait to see who will fill the role!

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#14Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 12:46am

As long as Rebecca Pitcher and her vibrato don't return...

jimmycurry01
#15Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 2:43am

She is my favorite Christine. Too often the role is given to someone with a pretty voice that can barely act, This was not the case with her, she was fantastic in the role.

LuvUrBatBoy Profile Photo
LuvUrBatBoy
#16Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 11:06am

Yes that's me. No, it's not a Rent homage.
Updated On: 8/8/10 at 11:06 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#17Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 1:03pm

Sara JUST joined the cast of ALNM. Why would she leave already?

Kev Profile Photo
Kev
#18Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 2:30pm

Jennifer Hope Wills was a wonderful asset to POTO. Having seen countless Christines, Wills always ranked among the best; a sublime presence, with a voice to match. She will be missed.

Is Susan Owen still in the show. She had been the Princess/Christine 2nd cover forever. I saw her and she was absolutely delightfully. She read a little old, but still very suitable, her voice is very youthful. She'd be a wonderful choice to at least promote to alternate.

Owen recently took a hiatus from the show to work regionally. And she's another wonderful Christine (who does get promoted to alternate every now and then.)

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#19Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 2:39pm

Well, I'm sure if Sara Jean Ford were offered the leading role in PHANTOM she'd be making about 4 times her salary as ensemble/understudy in NIGHT MUSIC - surely that would be reason enough!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#20Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 2:41pm

. Updated On: 8/8/10 at 02:41 PM

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#21Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 3:05pm

I'm so sorry I never had a chance to see her as Christine. I've always heard wonderful things about her.

Hank
#22Jennifer Hope Wills to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/8/10 at 3:13pm

The first time I saw Jenn perform was as Eileen in Wonderful Town years ago. When I first heard she was going to play Christine I knew she'd also be wonderful in that role. I saw her just before she left for her maternity leave, front row center-it was awesome! We met at the stage door, had a nice little chat and she signed my playbill with her silver sharpie and drew a heart. Now I can call her my sweetheart too.

Blockhead24 Profile Photo
Blockhead24
#23Jennifer Hope Wills and John Cudia to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:40am

per facebook
John Cudia To my dear friends and Phans, I can never thank you enough for all of the love and support you have given me during all my years with The Phantom of the Opera. But as the line goes from my "other" favorite show: "The time has come to journey on..." I will give the last performance of my current run as the Phantom on Saturday September 4th. Please stay tuned for the next great adventure!!!! xoxo

Sadness

Updated On: 8/20/10 at 12:40 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#24Jennifer Hope Wills and John Cudia to exit PHANTOM September 4
Posted: 8/12/10 at 12:53am

I need to see his Phantom before he leaves. Not one person I know who has seen him has said he's anything less than incredible.