pixeltracker

Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters- Page 2

Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#25Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/23/12 at 9:34pm

>My least favorite, so far, is The Golden.. It lacks warmth to me and feels really cavernous.<

You must mean the Gershwin. The Golden is a small 800 seat playhouse on 45h Street (and currently receiving a much-needed restoration). 'Cavernous' is not a word I'd ever use to describe it.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/23/12 at 9:48pm

I will say, the rear mezz at the Golden feels awfully far from the stage.

Jonwo
#27Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/23/12 at 9:56pm

I'm surprised The Nederlander Organisation has never consider giving the Gershwin a better marquee, the one it has at the moment isn't great, the marquee for the Lion King at the Minskoff looks so much better.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#28Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/23/12 at 11:24pm

Prettiest: Longacre, New Amsterdam, Lyceum.

Ugliest: Sondheim, Marquis, Golden.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

After Eight
#29Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/23/12 at 11:56pm

I liked the old Helen Hayes theatre before it was torn down. I miss that one.

I liked the Mark Hellinger. The theatre is still there. I wish it were still used for theatre.

I like the colors in the Lyceum.

NotAnotherSN Profile Photo
NotAnotherSN
#30Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 1:50am

I was really impressed by the Friedman theatre. Extremely modern and exceptionally beautiful.

Idiot Profile Photo
Idiot
#31Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 2:04am

I keep reading 'modern' as a compliment in this thread. I have to say, I simply don't prefer modern theaters.

There's something appropriate about seeing any play in a room that feels like it has history.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#32Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 2:58am

It is a shame that most of the theatres can only be judged on their interiors, (my favourite- Al Hirschfeld).

In London, we have the added benefit of some pretty amazing exteriors, too. The Palace Theatre is possibly the most impressive.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#33Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 3:18am

Lyceum is my favorite. From the tasteful marquee out front, to the gorgeous history and colors inside. And I think the balcony is actually a really great view.

Besides all the gross modern theaters - is there not an architect nowadays who has any sense for theaters? - the Golden is the ugliest. Clunky marquee. Ugly gymnasium interior. Worked well for shows like RED, but for something like Avenue Q... eh.

amoni2 Profile Photo
amoni2
#34Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 5:29am

New World Stages is how "modern" is done right. The Sondheim is a disaster and a shame since it was done from scratch. Cheap, ugly and cold.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#35Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 6:11am

What does New World Stages have? A Faux art-gallery interior?

I personally like the Sondheim and the Marquis...they aren't going to age tastefully like the older theatres but at the moment they are clean, functional and modern (to apparently use this overused word again :P)

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/24/12 at 06:11 AM

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#36Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 7:41am

-Sorry pointless thread - prettiest/ugliest only can be defined, by what happens on stage!!-

Sorry guys I still keep to my Status Quo, the most important thing is what happens on stage, who gives a toss what the theatre looks like, when you are watching Danny Burstein playing Buddy at the less that aesthetic 'Marquis'.

artscallion Profile Photo
artscallion
#37Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:07am

...and you judge a restaurant only by the food, right?

Art has a double face, of expression and illusion.

Phantom of London
#38Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:09am

Mainly yes.

But expect it to be clean, good service and air conditioned.

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#39Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:13am

You can keep to your status quo if you want to. But the activity going on onstage has absolutely nothing to do with the beauty or ugliness of the theatre.

For me, the most beautiful theatres are the Winter Garden, the Shubert, and the old Mark Hellinger, but I should not be forgetting the New Amsterdam, even though I have never seen a show there. Oh, forgot to mention the Al Hirschfeld.

The ugliest theatres are the Gershwin, the Minskoff, the Ambassador and the old Anta Theatre which has had several names over the years.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

phantomcrazy14 Profile Photo
phantomcrazy14
#40Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:22am

I think the Palace, New Masterdam, Belasco, and the Al Hirschfeld have beautiful interiors. The one thing I hate is when you're on the Shubert Organization website and you see some of the beautiful facades and cool marquees that used to be on the theatres that are now gone. Oh and I think the Longacre looks pretty on the inside from what I've seen.

ooblogway Profile Photo
ooblogway
#41Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:39am

The Helen Hayes needs a make-over.

__________________________________________ "Sometimes – there's God – so quickly!"

broadwaydevil Profile Photo
broadwaydevil
#42Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 9:26am

Agree about New World Stages proving that modern theaters can be beautiful.

All the other more modern broadway theatres - Gershwin, Marquis, Minskoff, and Foxwoods are hideous barns.

Scratch and claw for every day you're worth! Make them drag you screaming from life, keep dreaming You'll live forever here on earth.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#43Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 9:44am

I think the Marquis is beautiful for trying to be a movie theater. They should just go whole hog and sell popcorn and giant vats of soda in the lobby.

The only time I liked the look of Circle in the Square was when Spelling Bee turned it into a high school gymnasium. The basketball hoops really looked at home.

I think the Eugene O'Neill theater is gorgeous. And I also agree about New World Stages. Those theaters are lovely.

Phantom of London
#44Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 10:32am

-You can keep to your status quo if you want to. But the activity going on onstage has absolutely nothing to do with the beauty or ugliness of the theatre.-

Of course it is, you go to the theatre not to see the theatre, you go and see the show on offer.

Now if you want to see some real gems of theatres, that are aesthetically pleasing to the eye, come over to the West End, London, the houses their would knock spots off anything on Broadway.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#45Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 12:30pm

Phantom - Broadway absolutely has theaters whose beauty is on-par with those of the West End. Not to mention America is full of beautiful theaters in other cities. Ever seen the Landmark Theater in Syracuse? It's stunning (posted pic)

Sant
#46Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 12:34pm

I think the BELASCO has a very beautiful auditorium.

The GERSHWIN and the GOLDEN are just horrible.

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#47Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:12pm

I think there are occasions where the interior fits well with the show, too. I'm far from impressed with the Gershwin and Wicked, but I think the Gershwin for a show like Sweeney would feel fairly appropriate. The show is dark, dreary, and foreboding. The theatre is a cold cavern.

The Booth was wonderful for Next to Normal. It has a rather charming interior with muted colors and a sort of heavy presence. Avenue Q, however, would have seemed a strange fit.

The Golden was probably my least favorite. Even with an energetic show like Avenue Q, I definitely felt the old girl was tired and I'm excited that it's getting a face lift. The color pallet inside seems to make my stomach uneasy. It's just not a pleasing space.

The Marquis for 9 to 5 seemed appropriate. The theatre is modern and well equipped but nothing to gawk over. It served its purpose. A show like Follies, though, would have served very well in a theatre that was a little more worn out and older.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#48Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:23pm

Phantom, Phantom, Phantom... the whole point of the thread is to share opinions of the aesthetics of individual theatres. It is not a meaningless topic. I for one think it's an interesting subject. People have different opinions on a particular theatre, whether one is discussing the interior/exterior. It's fascinating. They're entitled to their opinions. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#49Prettiest/Ugliest Broadway theaters
Posted: 6/24/12 at 8:43pm

Phantom luv, you don't half come out with some stupid comments. The thread is about the buildings, and many people including myself adore the buildings as much as what is happening on stage.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Videos