pixeltracker

A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising

A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#1A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 9:47am

Hands on a Hardbody is has a score that is written by Trey Anastasio, the frontman/songwriter for the band Phish, a band that a massive following. And, a following that has spilled over into his work with his solo band The Trey Anastasio band. Both music projects are ones that are popular with people who are college age/recently graduated from college.

Now, my thought is this. I follow Phish and Trey's work, which is why I am very excited for this show. But, I was at a concert last night and it was advertised that he was going to be playing at the venue with his band in a couple of weeks. Long story short, there are a lot of people who are into the music scene and Trey's music, that no nothing of him writing a musical. But, these are people that if they knew, the would easily check it out because listen to anything Trey wrote without a problem. In addition to marketing in the typical Broadway fashion. Wouldn't it be smart of them to market towards those more in the music scene and play up the fact that Anastasio wrote the score? I am not seeing this at all and I think that there is a unique market for a show like this that can sell based upon these fans alone. One that I don't think the producers are gearing towards. What do you think?

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#2A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 11:28am

I can't speak to the advertising from within that community, not being a Phish Phan myself, but the Hands on a Hardbody facebook page did post this photo taken at Phish's New Year's concert:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=407244046022092&set=a.392646447481852.93549.322377617842069&type=1&theater

So, it does seem like some of the community is aware...

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

ClydeBarrow Profile Photo
ClydeBarrow
#2A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 11:34am

They can't actually say anything like "Trey Anastasio from PHISH" in the advertising. They can only refer to him by his name and nothing else.

"Pardon my prior Mcfee slip. I know how to spell her name. I just don't know how to type it." -Talulah

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 11:44am

I'm not saying you are wrong, but why can't they? Wouldn't that be up to Phish (the collective)?

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

FindingNamo
#4A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 1:00pm

Son, Phish has been around for 30 years. Many of these "recent college graduate" fans are from the class of 1985.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 1/19/13 at 01:00 PM

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#5A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 1:56pm

Phish is still a well-liked jam band in the college community, even if they are no longer currently active (save for occasional events).

I wouldn't be surprised if Anastasio (de facto leader of Phish by most accounts) has the rights to use the Phish name, even as just a reference, in his advertising- it's not like Memphis or Toxic Avenger, where there would be a certain exaggeration in billing the projects as "associated with Bon Jovi," given that the composer is a side man who has not been a band fixture.

FindingNamo
#6A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 2:42pm

I think rock people have to be very careful with their credibility. I am sure this is why the rhythm section of U2 stayed as far away as humanly possible from the debacle of Spiderman. I don't think there really is any point in making an explicit Phish connection to the new musical, the name Trey Anastasio is there, real fans of the band will eventually notice it.

There is not an automatic cross-over between music fans and Broadway. Remember the incredible silence that greeted Sheryl Crow when she mentioned "Diner" on The Tonys?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#7A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 1/19/13 at 5:01pm

Although phish did announce a break up a few years back, they have since reunited and are back in full force touring constantly. While it is great that they posted a photo on the shows Facebook page, the response that I've gotten from Trey/Phish fans when I tell them that he's doing a musical is "really,he's doing a musical, what's it about." They don't even know he's doing one or that it's coming to Broadway. As someone that follows the jam band world as closely as I do Broadway, if I didn't read theatre sites I wouldn't have known myself.

While I feel that Trey is a great songwriter in his own right, there is no doubt that the success and following he had had with his solo work is because of Phish. I don't think that there needs to be the Phish branding on billboards for the show. But, I think that they should have things like ads and interviews on music sites that phish fans read as well.

And, believe it or not Phish is a band with a massive, massive cult like following. And, it wouldn't shock me to find out that their net worth is up there with more well known rock stars and pop acts. While other bands have had members that have written musicals I think that it's different when you're talking about the frontman of a band who's fans feel that as far as music goes he can do no wrong.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#8A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/3/13 at 11:52pm

I'm running a trivia contest to give away a pair of tickets to this if you want to check it out. http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com/2013/02/win-pair-of-tickets-to-hands-on.html?m=1

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#9A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/4/13 at 12:14am

I wondered if people who never heard of the documentary will think its a dirty musical.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#10A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/4/13 at 12:17am

I admit i didn't know the source material and assumed it was the musical version of Magic Mike or something like it.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/4/13 at 12:19am

^I thought it was something dirty when I first heard the title.

DEClarke Profile Photo
DEClarke
#12A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/5/13 at 3:09pm

I wonder how many have seen the documentary?

I love it! It has classic lines like, "that candy kill 'em." The people are truly fascinaitng. I especially am fond of the couple where the husband bought an AC meant for a large store (like K-Mart) for his house and then refused to let his wife come inside so she would get used to the heat.

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#13A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/5/13 at 4:25pm

It's a great doc, but I definitely don't get the sense that it's particularly well known.

I do think that people know what a "Hands on a Hard Body" contest is though.

....but the world goes 'round

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#14A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/5/13 at 4:32pm

^I didn't. But, I only recently saw the episode of Family Guy where peter entered one. At first I thought the title was meant to be provocative. A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising

Either way, I'm still excited to see how it does on Broadway. If anyone doesn't know what it's about, I think the artwork does a pretty good job of explaining it.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#15A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/5/13 at 5:07pm

Not sure how exciting it will be as a musical, and the songs are hit or miss, but I'm excited.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#16A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/5/13 at 5:48pm

I attended the the sneak peek at Hard Rock last month. Whzt I heard I liked. He was there and spoke. No mention of the band. I am zeeinb it on the 28th and looking forward to it.

Just give the world Love.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#17A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/5/13 at 6:12pm

"Son, Phish has been around for 30 years. Many of these "recent college graduate" fans are from the class of 1985."

"Son"

Namo, I cannot stop LOL-ing here from your post. It's been a long time since you cracked me up. thanks!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

FindingNamo
#18A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/5/13 at 7:23pm

As long as I do once in a while, I'm happy.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#19A thought about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising
Posted: 2/6/13 at 10:56am

While we're talking about Hands on a Hardbody's advertising, can we talk about Pump Boys and Dinettes' marketing? I mean, does anyone ever remember that show is coming next month? At this rate, it's going to have as glorious a run as did Glory Days.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#20Tickets on TDF
Posted: 2/16/13 at 3:38pm

Hardbody tickets are on TDF now, in case anyone is interested.

theatergeek3
#21Tickets on TDF
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:03pm

RippedMan-I saw it in La Jolla and I say it was a HIT! Great music, great actors-just a really great show. I think it will be a big Tony contender. I recommend it!

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#22Tickets on TDF
Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:30pm

Taboo- Pump Boys actually isn't opening anymore. It has been postponed.