pixeltracker

Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?

Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#2Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:04pm

That's the reason why we go to the theatre: to use our phones for free wi-fi.

I mean, really? What an idiotic thought.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:07pm

They SHOULD and they BETTER.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#3Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:08pm

The Nederlander does for some reason. Otherwise, hell to the no.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

backwoodsbarbie Profile Photo
backwoodsbarbie
#4Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:15pm

Nothing good could come of that. We have enough trouble keeping people off of phones as is.

http://backstagebarbie.blogspot.com

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#5Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:16pm

I'd like seat-back entertainment centers like on airplanes.

broadwaypunk06 Profile Photo
broadwaypunk06
#6Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:28pm

No! No! No! I do not go to the theatre to play on my phone. I go to watch the performance. My phone does not even cross my mind! Ridiculous question!

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#7Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:28pm

Uh....no!

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#8Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:41pm

Personally, I think they should provide free cell phone user taser technology that zaps people who bring their cell phones to the theatre, but maybe that's just me.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#9Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:43pm

I've always wanted to use GRINDR at NEWSIES but the coverage in that theatre sucks so I'd appreciate some free WiFi. Not too long left to 'catch' Andrew Keenan-Bolger; isn't he leaving soon?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#10Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:49pm

Personally, I think they should provide free cell phone user taser technology that zap people who bring their cell phones to the theatre, but maybe thIs me

I think zapping is too kind...

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#11Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 6:51pm

I think they should not, and only offer it to the cast. I do think there should be phone scramblers.

kooky
#12Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:13pm

In one word .... NO !

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:17pm

Not necessary.

I don't think phone carriers need to be zapped -- blocked would be nice.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

NewYorkPulse24
#14Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:20pm

Hell to the NO!
If anything they should collect phones at the door!

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#15Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:25pm

Zapping people who have a phone? Most people need to at least bring their phones with them, for pre- and postshow safety, security, and a multitude of other reasons. They just need to be turned off or put on silent for 2 hours of their lives (or just over 1 hour, counting intermission as an opportunity to have it on). Is someone's life so full that it would be a shame to miss an update for two hours? It bugs me enough to see people Facebook during movies, but at least those performers cannot be affected. Theatre is different.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#16Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:26pm

I am not sure if they are allowed to take away cell phones. I don't know the legality of that. I do know that they can't block cell phones because cell phone blockers are against the law and for good reason too.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

SKAcasting1127 Profile Photo
SKAcasting1127
Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#18Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:34pm

^ They took phones and all electronics at CBS studios in Los Angeles when I was there. Granted, that was for a television show taping, but they still did it.

No, Wifi is not needed at all.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

theatredk Profile Photo
theatredk
#19Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:43pm

They should make all theatres a dead zone so devices can't be used at all that would prevent have to make announcements for turning the off and have to remember to turn them off obsolete

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#20Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 7:45pm

Cell phone blockers are not against the law as far as I know. Hundreds of high schools have them.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#21Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 8:02pm

I do believe that live theatres should be a phone free zone. As long as they post that when entering a theatre you are entering a phone free zone it is legal. Much like when you are in a television audience and once you pass the sign that states by passing that sign you agree to be seen on camera basically free of charge. Then block the phones.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#22Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 8:51pm

ucjrdude902,

Cellphone jammers are against the law. I know that schools may use them but that doesn't mean that they do so legally. The FCC says that they have had a federal ban on them because they prevent people from contacting 911 in the event of an emergency.

Also, from a legal standpoint, if a theatre (or TV studio) requires that you have to check your cellphone, then they are taking responsibility for anything that may happen to the phone while it is in their possession. It seems to me that that's just not worth it as far as the theatre owners are concerned.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

ARTc
#23Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 8:53pm

I am all for blocking the signal within the confines of the theater. Doctor's and anyone else who might need to be notified in case of an emergency, can leave a number - and their seat number - specifically for such emergencies with their service, sitter, etc. This service can be offered as a value add to anyone who might need it. To be able to use this service, they should also be required to purchase an aisle seat.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#24Should Theaters Provide Free Wi-Fi For Its Guests?
Posted: 1/27/13 at 8:57pm

Almost as rotten an idea as making cell phones work in the subway.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 1/27/13 at 08:57 PM

Videos