Bobby Steggert Comes Out

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#2Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/6/13 at 5:19pm

Bravo! Anytime someone feels comfortable enough to be themselves in public, as far as their orientation goes, I'm happy.

I don't care if "we all knew it" or "duh!" or "old news."

He did it. And I'm GLAAD.

Bobby Steggert Comes Out

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#2Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/6/13 at 5:29pm

I guess I sort of just made the assumption he was out without researching it. Happy for him though.

Updated On: 9/6/13 at 05:29 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/6/13 at 6:25pm

Won't it be nice if we ever get to the point that NO ONE has to stake claim to their sexual orientation? You know, because it's none of your damn business anyway?

(Don't get me wrong, I understand positive need for this to be currently happening.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Libby1209
#4Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/6/13 at 6:41pm

Totally agree with dramamama on this one...I just hope he does a good job in Big Fish! (when I see it tomorrow) Bobby Steggert Comes Out

Updated On: 9/6/13 at 06:41 PM

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#5Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/6/13 at 11:58pm

When it comes to theatre actors, "Comes Out" headlines usually just mean "Became famous enough for a published interview."

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#6Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/6/13 at 11:59pm

Is it really "coming out"? Anyone who knows his work or him personally knows he has been openly gay for whole career. The point of the article wasnt that he was announcing his sexuality at all. It was akin to a female artist saying "As a woman, I feel it important..."

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

BroomstickBoy Profile Photo
BroomstickBoy
#7Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 12:21am

Good for him! Boy's got a show to promote.

I don't WANT to live in what they call "a certain way." In the first place I'd be no good at it and besides that I don't want to be identified with any one class of people. I want to live every whichway, among all kinds---and know them---and understand them---and love them---THAT's what I want! - Philip Barry (Holiday)

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#8Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 12:38am

It was akin to a female artist saying "As a woman, I feel it important..."

Acknowledging is the new coming out.

iluvtheatertrash
#9Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 8:23am

This would explain why he can't play straight in BIG FISH.

Kidding. Sort of.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

FindingNamo
#10Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 10:21am

I look forward to the time when everybody is just presumed to be gay and it's news when they're not.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

broadwayguy2
#11Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 10:33am

^ You mean every day on Broadway?

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#12Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 11:56am

It was akin to a female artist saying "As a woman, I feel it important..."

Isn't that how Zachary Quinto came out, too? In an interview where he included "As a gay man" in an answer?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 12:01pm

If I recall. But HuffPo took the decidedly tabloid route in sharing Steggert's article. It's about him making an announcement about his sexuality at all.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jordan Catalano
#14Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 1:07pm

I wish some of these guys would announce their homosexuality like normal straight girls announce their heterosexuality nowadays - with a sex tape.

Updated On: 9/7/13 at 01:07 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#15Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 2:57pm

At the pace some these guys date at, they don't need to.

Jordan Catalano
#16Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 2:59pm

"date"

ahhrealmonsters
#17Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 8:13pm

Bobby Steggert Comes Out

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#18Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 8:20pm

Namo, the fact of the matter is, since only (give or take) 5% of the population is homosexual or bisexual, it is natural to assume someone is straight unless they tell you otherwise. Unless of course, they're a male musical theater actor.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#19Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 8:45pm

^ 10%, last I heard.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#20Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/7/13 at 9:58pm

I've heard that number too, but that would mean one out of every ten people is gay or bi, and even as someone who knows tons of gay and bi people, that seems a bit high. I've also heard 2%, so 5% seems like a happy medium...

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#21Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/8/13 at 12:18pm

I've always laughed at the 10% guesstimate. I'd say 5% is probably closer... (not that it really matters)

Jordan Catalano
#22Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/8/13 at 12:21pm

I'd say its at least 40%. 50% maybe on the weekends.

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#23Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/8/13 at 12:48pm

Yeah, the 10% figure is about as scientifically proven as the existence of the Loch Ness monster, but so many people believe it that it's become something of a "fact". Maybe because 10% sounds like a good, solid number.

On the subject of this thread, good for Steggert. Never thought of him as "in" since his sexuality was never a secret, but as others have mentioned, public acknowledgment on a grand level is perhaps a different thing. He was very compelling as a young gay father in MOTHERS AND SONS, and I'm looking forward to seeing him in BIG FISH.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#24Bobby Steggert Comes Out
Posted: 9/8/13 at 12:51pm

I always thought it was actually much higher that 10%.

....but the world goes 'round