Posted: 1/15/14 at 8:24pm

http://nypost.com/2014/01/15/beautiful-star-mueller-an-early-tony-favorite/

He says the early favorites to fill the category are

Sutton Foster in VIOLET
Idina Menzel in IF/THEN
Jessie Mueller in BEAUTIFUL
Kelli O'Hara in THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY
Michelle Williams in CABARET

He doesn't mention the competitors from JANIS JOPLIN, ROCKY, or BULLETS OVER BROADWAY.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#2Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 8:52pm

I don't care if BWW posters want to speculate on nominations that are still six months away, but it strikes me as highly irresponsible for even a pseudo-journalist like Riedel to do so.

If he wants to write about the "best performances so far", fine. But he shouldn't be speculating on performances he has yet to see.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 9:01pm

4 out of those 5 shows haven't had a single performance yet. really not professional at all.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Musicaldudepeter
#3Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 9:17pm

I never understand why posters here are not fans of predicting the Tonys long in advance or even discussing them, no matter how inappropriate or "off" it seems... TV fans and movie fans are predicting Emmy and Oscar nominations a year in advance, hell, as soon as one Emmy or Oscar ceremony is over, the next year's ceremony's noms are being discussed immediately... What's the big deal?

OperaBwayLover Profile Photo
OperaBwayLover
#4Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 9:20pm

And here we go...

StickIt Profile Photo
StickIt
#5Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 9:32pm

My personal opinion is that the race is between Mueller and O'Hara. In a year when voters will have the chance to reward a Broadway favorite who has been denied four times or a star-making new performance from an up-and-comer, I don't see them giving Idina Menzel or Sutton Foster another one for the mantle. The thing is, when we're talking about actresses of this caliber being given very demanding material, the quality of performance for most of them will probably be considered "award-worthy" and possibly Tony-worthy in a different crop of nominees, there is a fair share of politics that will probably play out in this category, and that's worth discussing.

Of course, Michelle Williams would be the huge unknown quantity/spoiler. I definitely agree that there is no way to predict how she'll affect the race. Mazzie, IMO, is similarly confusing simply because Helen Sinclair's part in the movie was very solidly featured and it remains to be seen how significantly the role has been expanded to justify her as a contender in this category. It could be another Bertie Carvel situation of perhaps he was giving the better performance but was simply stuck in the wrong category.

Updated On: 1/15/14 at 09:32 PM

BobNC Profile Photo
BobNC
#6Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 10:56pm

I've never read such raves as I have Read for Jessie Mueller. She's a shoo in.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#7Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 10:58pm

So who do we think will win the Tonys next year? Any guesses?

RentBoy86
#8Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 11:46pm

I think discounting Mazzie is stupid.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/15/14 at 11:53pm

"... but it strikes me as highly irresponsible for even a pseudo-journalist like Riedel to do so."

When has Riedel EVER been responsible? He has actively tried to get shows to close for no real reason. The only way he'd have a responsible bone in his body would be if the guy topping him was wearing a condom.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

RentBoy86
#10Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 12:26am

He's a gossip columnist. He's not a news reporter. I don't know why people expect so much of him.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#11Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 12:39am

For all intents and purposes, I'm placing Mazzie for Featured, lest there be another Bertie Carvel situation.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm
Updated On: 1/16/14 at 12:39 AM

JohnyBroadway
#12Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 12:45am

Courtney Reed could come and blow everyone away for Aladdin. It's to early to predict.

StickIt Profile Photo
StickIt
#13Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 12:48am

She'd have to improve quite a bit. Wasn't she one of the worst reviewed parts of the show out of town?

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#14Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 1:07am

Off topic but a first glance I thought this said "Richard Mull's over Best Actress in a musical" and I was instantly interested.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

broadwaybabe1234 Profile Photo
broadwaybabe1234
#15Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 1:07am

Absolutely hated Courtney Reed in Aladdin.

I think this list is about right except i would replace Michelle Williams with Marin Mazzie. If Mazzie is in featured then i think Williams is the most suitable alternate.

I think the real race this year is going to be best actor. The field is not as clear cut as it is for actress in a musical.

[believe]

RentBoy86
#16Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 2:13am

However, Best Actor in a musical is less exciting, as it is most years.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#17Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 6:45am

"A lot of people think she’s the one to beat, though a few say she’ll have to overcome the hurdle of starring in a jukebox musical that may not find favor with the Tony nominators."

John Lloyd Young & Christian Hoff both won for Jersey Boys, same for Levi Kreis in Million Dollar Quartet.

Broadwaystar2
#18Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 8:08am

Stick It, for you to even say its only between Jesse and Kelli is ludacris. What would make you think for 1 second they wouldn't give it to those other ladies? They didn't seem to have a problem giving them to Audra and Angela Lansbury.

Musicaldudepeter
#19Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 8:27am

I can totally see Menzel getting her second Tony... It's a perfect amount of time since winning her first one; and a good role to win for too... I can see a lot of voters swing her way

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#20Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 9:00am

Who is this "Tony" people won't stop referencing?

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#21Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 10:02am

However, Best Actor in a musical is less exciting, as it is most years.

But Best Actor in a Play promises to be the most exciting category BY FAR.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#22Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 10:33am

Perhaps it might be better to wait until the performances have been seen to seriously discuss their tony potential (and yes I'm aware of websites like awardscircuit, which are fun, which speculate the day after this years oscars on who and what will get nominated next year, and all in good fun, but that hardly qualifies as serious debate). Have to agree for Reidel to engage in this is ludicrous even for him.

Updated On: 1/16/14 at 10:33 AM

dreaming Profile Photo
dreaming
#23Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 10:44am

Oscar? Don't you mean Tony?

I think Bryan Cranston or Zachary Quinto has a great shot at leading actor. I think Mark Rylance will take featured actor for Twelfth Night. Those are my early predictions.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#24Riedel mulls over Best Actress in a Musical
Posted: 1/16/14 at 10:51am

I can't believe I'm about to defend him...but here goes.

Three of the five performances have been seen. Foster received acclaim for her Violet, If/Then has opened out of town and has been reviewed, and Beautiful has officially opened on Broadway. Even with the two actresses that have yet to perform their roles, Bridges ran last summer and everyone knows the general take on Sally in the Mendes/Marshall Cabaret. It's not totally absurd to mull these things over.

Yes...changes will happen. Many changes. And perhaps Kelly O'Hara is truly miscast in Bridges (doubtful). And maybe Michelle Williams will tank as Sally (probably not). The newer shows are being revised. Foster will have a full rehearsal period. So things will obviously be different. But still...I don't see this as the height of irresponsibility in journalism (theater or otherwise).