Lady Day Previews

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#150Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/8/14 at 11:36am

Seven Days, Eight Hours and twenty-four minutes.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#151Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/8/14 at 3:11pm

How's the rush been lately?

Broadwayboy2631 Profile Photo
Broadwayboy2631
#152Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/8/14 at 4:07pm

I checked out the line at around 9:45 last Saturday. There were maybe 15 to 20 people in line for a two show day. I'm assuming that the number will go up, after what are sure to be stellar reviews.

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#153Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/8/14 at 5:14pm

The tales of walking up in the afternoon during the week don't hold true anymore. Just stopped by at around 4:45 and was told the line that was there this morning got all the rush seats that were available for this evening's performance.

In no way surprising based on all the love!

theatrefan18
#154Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/8/14 at 10:18pm

Does anyone know how Table TT2 is? It looks like it is slightly behind the stage.
Would I be looking at her back the whole time?
I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

BroadwayBrat
#155Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/8/14 at 11:08pm

I sat in row A, seat 224 and I was close to the corner of the stage and had a perfect view. The seats beyond 228 will likely have a mostly back view of Audra. I know you are asking about table seats, but that should help you with sight lines.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#156Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 7:31am

Theatrefan, don't recall my seat # and can't really understand the seating chart, but I was at the second table closest to the stage and closest house right and my view was great. I was concerned it might be behind the stage but that wasn't the case. A lot of the view was in profile but that was fine; I was looking at her back when she walked into the audience at times but, as someone already stated, this is a performance that is indelibly integrated in Audra's body; here we have an actor whose shoulder blades are as much in character and in the moment as her eyes. Speaking of which, that rivulet of tears streaming down Audra's face during Strange Fruit is something I will never forget.
-

Updated On: 4/11/14 at 07:31 AM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#157Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 7:44am

I’ll second henrik’s thoughts here. When I bought my Circle Club tickets, they were listed as TTA, which I couldn’t find on the seating chart, but I took a leap of faith. When we arrived, we were disheartened to see that we were in the furthest table “upstage” right, squeezed into a tiny little corner right behind the piano with a rear three-quarter view of the microphone and a rail in our sightline. We were close to the stage, but felt so hidden from the rest of the seating area that we were sure even the waiters wouldn’t spot us.

Then Billie stepped onto the stage, suddenly we had a perfect seat, and nothing mattered anymore.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#158Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 8:01am

^ "here we have an actor whose shoulder blades are as much in character"

So true. Can't tell you how many times the image of her shoulder blades have come to mind since seeing the show.

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#159Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/9/14 at 4:31pm

Can anyone speak for the "rear-orchestra" seats, specifically row K, for this show? I have the opportunity to get those seats and I'm wondering if it will be worth it. I know the theatre is small and there's really not a bad seat in the house but I was wondering if there was anything I'd be missing.

iluvtheatertrash
#160Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 10:04pm

Can someone please tell me that what I just saw was real and I did not imagine it? Oh my God, that was the most astonishing and transformative performance I have ever seen in my life.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#161Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:19pm

Sucks for Cherry Jones. ha.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#162Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:26pm

^this.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#163Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:28pm

I just heard a... recording of Audra's "God Bless the Child."

Her vocal resemblance to Holiday is UNCANNY. Like, spooky.

I cannot wait to see this.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

iluvtheatertrash
#164Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/10/14 at 11:30pm

When she first started singing, it blew my mind. I've been listen to Holiday a lot lately and it was almost frightening when she opened her mouth...

Kad, do share PLEASE?!

grumpyoptimist
#165Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 1:46am

As I already humblebragged, I was the closest person to her on Sunday (inexplicably, the other table directly in front of her was unoccupied the entire show). During the fourth song, I realized (somewhat embarrassingly) my mouth had been agape since her first few notes.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#166Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 6:18am

The show sounds amazing. Is the stage set up so the view is the same from house left and house right? If it's different, is that because the stage is on a diagonal?

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

iluvtheatertrash
#167Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 10:45am

I was in the last row, dead center. It's a great seat. I hope to get closer when I return. Oh, how I would kill to be the guy that lights her cigarette.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#168Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 12:28pm

I really hope this extends. I'm not going until the end of June and I want to see it SO BAD.

Karen Cartwright Profile Photo
Karen Cartwright
#169Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 1:13pm

I was feeling pretty "meh" about show choices for my upcoming May trip until I started reading this thread. I'm SO glad I grabbed a ticket for Lady Day - just wish I could have justified splurging on Circle Club.

Can't wait! I big puffy <3 Audra.

DebraR
#170Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 2:35pm

What time are folks getting to the theatre now for the rush tix? My daughter and I are traveling to NY from LA on Sunday and will only be there a week. We must see this so without getting in line in the middle of the night, what time is good for the best shot?

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#171Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 2:41pm

Are you familiar with the Rush Report?

Rush

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

DebraR
#172Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 2:53pm

Yes, thanks. I like it for basic guidelines but didn't find it really accurate when we were there in January. Feel better hearing directly from folks who may have tried in the last few days but will still keep an eye on it.

rjm516
#173Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 5:30pm

What seat is it that lights her cigarette?

dtzumbrunnen Profile Photo
dtzumbrunnen
#174Lady Day Previews
Posted: 4/11/14 at 11:43pm

Lady Day Previews

Assuming it's set the same every night, it looks like T18, Seat 4 (or possibly 1). At least I think that's what number that is on the seating chart - it's very blurry. It is the house right side of the aisle, third table from the stage.

This was a thrilling night of theater. Audra fully inhabits the character from the second she emerges at Emerson's Bar and Grill until the room goes dark. I can't imagine anyone is still on the fence about seeing this, but if you are, you should jump in with both feet.