pixeltracker

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)- Page 3

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/1/14 at 9:39am

You mean when a character offhandedly mentions they don't want to have sex in front of 800 people?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#51Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/1/14 at 10:21am

It's only grossed $17,237,400 so far and lost 152 theaters this weekend. I don't know if it'll get nominated for any awards, but it certainly wins Flop of the Year.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#52Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/1/14 at 11:41am

NOOOO! Please say it ain't so! We've been checking off seeing all the awards-prone movies these last 2 weeks (FOXCATCHER, IMITATION GAME, THEORY OF EVERYTHING, INTERSTELLAR, INTO THE WOODS) and we gotta say that in a sea of 6's and 7's, we thought BIRDMAN was a total 10! Far more satisfying than that shallow exercise that was catnip for critics called BOYHOOD. Oh well.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#53Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/1/14 at 12:14pm

You should add Whiplash to your list.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#54Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/1/14 at 1:58pm

"You mean when a character offhandedly mentions they don't want to have sex in front of 800 people?"

Well, this isn't my issue with this film by any means, but yes, I think that is the reference. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

dave1606
#55Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/3/14 at 1:14pm

Keep in mind the film's budget (via my Google research) was only $18 million so $17 million doesn't look bad at all.

This is one of those films that will hang around, and likely be re-released in January once the award shows start. I don't think they ever thought this movie would be something like The Avengers. But I think this will be considered a success for them considering it's modest budget and awards potential, especially once released on DVD.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#56Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/3/14 at 5:49pm

Happily a few awards are now coming BIRDMAN's way.
Gotham Awards just gave it Best Picture and Best Actor to Michael Keaton.
National Board of Review awarded Best Actor to Michael Keaton, and Best Supporting Actor to Ed Norton. Not an avalanche, but heartwarming nonetheless.

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#57Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:33pm

This movie is going nowhere fast. It must be great!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#58Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 12/3/14 at 6:59pm

The Theory Of Everything might give it a run for its money for Picture and Actor and Actress.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/3/14 at 06:59 PM

Mike3 Profile Photo
Mike3
#59Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/8/15 at 8:39pm

Finally saw this today and really enjoyed it.

(By the way, the matinee I attended was packed, and:

As of February 8:

Domestic gross: $35,183,000
Foreign gross: $33,879,000

Worldwide gross: $69,062,000)

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#60Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/8/15 at 11:42pm

Didn't enjoy a single thing about this movie.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Wilmingtom
#61Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 12:04am

Birdman became the Oscar forerunner last night when Inarritu won the DGA. On the other hand, the BAFTA winner has gone on to win the Oscar for the past six years and Boyhood took the BAFTA. So jump ball?

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#62Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 12:06am

Thought it was crap.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Wilmingtom
#63Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 12:12am

I thought the actors were terrific but that screenplay was a hot mess.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#64Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 12:39am

I enjoyed it. It wasn't the masterpiece some are claiming it to be, but I thought it was good. But that very last scene made me LOL. That was just plain stupid.

Wilmingtom
#65Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 12:57am

^ That.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#66Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 11:49am

I loved it and it's my favorite of the Best Picture nominees I've seen thus far (still have yet to see Selma and American Sniper). In the first 30 minutes or so, I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but as it went on, the film kept pulling me in deeper and deeper. I loved the fact that I was (mostly) surprised from scene to scene. I even enjoyed the last scene. The only major misstep to me was that I pretty much knew what the climax of the film would be from early on. But what I didn't expect was how the events would eventually unfold from there. And unlike Boyhood, I wasn't bored out of my skull.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#67Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 2:06pm

I thought it was tedious and just okay, bordering on blah.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#68Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/9/15 at 2:29pm

Its theme is revelatory: "It's hard to age in show business." The first 45 minutes have a dazzling quality, the technique is extraordinary. But as persuasive storytelling, on which some level it surely must function, it huffs and puffs so hard to keep its "specialness" vibe going until the end, and then it jumps the shark not once but twice. I didn't believe anything in it could happen, and by the time we meet the vicious dyspeptic critic for the Times, its satire is muddy at best. What's the edgy point? Art isn't easy? Theater is inherently self-congralulatory? And so are those who support it? Being 60 is hell? The St. James Theater should be easier to access? Consider how much the filmmakers want to send up pretentiousness, it's a pile-on of partsy-fartsy effects.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Roscoe
#69Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/20/15 at 4:28pm

Behold -- 90 seconds of pure genius that do what another film takes over two hours to not get right.
The parody surpasses the original.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#70Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/20/15 at 5:44pm

The bar he comes out after his encounter with a critic is the Rum House in the Hotel Edison.

Supposedly this & Boyhood are neck & neck. Now comes word American Sniper may pull an upset.

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#71Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/21/15 at 10:47am

This spoof is too, too cute!
Adorable!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

javero Profile Photo
javero
#72Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/22/15 at 12:54pm

Still haven't seen it.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

ArtMan
#73Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/22/15 at 3:44pm

Javero, If you can wait till March 17, it will be available to rent at Redbox.

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#74Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Posted: 2/22/15 at 4:47pm

Self indulgent.That's what kept repeating in my brain. Amy Ryan and Merritt Weaver were the only 2 performance I liked. Only two who didn't leave teeth marks all over the scenery. ( to be fair- the script & direction made that inevitable)

Of course it will win. Actors LOVE to show how H A R D it is to be a working professional thespian. ( aww gimmee a break!) So they ( the largest voting block) will be sure to go for this.

Even Jackie Hoffman's tiny (vocal) cameo seemed OTT.
Meh.