pixeltracker

What song will they do at the Tony's?- Page 3

What song will they do at the Tony's?

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#50What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/6/15 at 6:27pm

"Wonder if FUN HOME could do a medley with the three Alisons? Start with "Ring of Keys", into a piece of "Changing My Major", and ending with "Telephone Wire". It might give some an idea of the arc of the show and the three ages concept. If done correctly, it might de-mystify it for some people. And it would still save plenty of surprises and not give too much away."

YAAASSSSS!!!!! Carolinaguy you NAILED this maxichallenge, you are this week's winner! FUN HOME has been a tough sell when I'm telling the hotel guests about it... their eyes glaze over unless they already know about the book or Alison Blechdel. I think America needs to hear that trio of amazing "audition" songs!

I think THE VISIT should do the quartet version of "You, you, you" where young and old sing together. When that moment happened in the show the breath was taken out of my lungs. One of the most beautiful musical moments of the entire season... a song like that can sell a show on it's own merit. 

I agree that "A Musical" might not come off well if they cut it to 3 min 30 seconds... but I think it's worth the risk... if they pull it off... it would run for 3 to 5 years based off the Tony Awards performance alone. 

Agree with everyone else about the rest of them... the performance that I have been really clueless about was FUN HOME... I have no idea how to present that in 4 minutes and sell it... but I think Carolinaguy has it on the money... the only other thing I might consider would be "COME TO THE FUN HOME" and play it up as a fun catchy musical... but that's sort of false advertising lol... which can have the opposite affect. Still... a weird Tony performance can screw a show for eternity... that PASSING STRANGE performance was such a missed opportunity...

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#51What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 1:55pm

Despite 1 Tony nomination, Gigi is performing and they're doing The Night They Invented Champagne

What song will they do at the Tonys?

broadwayfan24
#52What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/15/15 at 5:21pm

Yes! I'm glad they're doing a number. I love the show and that number is a lot of fun. It will definitely boost attendance.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#53What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/18/15 at 12:24pm

OTTC should just let the porters do "Life is Like a Train."

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#54What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/18/15 at 1:09pm

"OTTC should just let the porters do "Life is Like a Train.""

I'm sure they will be featured, and so they should, but so not have Kristin perform with her cast would be a scandal imo

neonlightsxo
#55What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/18/15 at 1:18pm

"It will definitely boost attendance."

Do you have a crystal ball?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#56What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 2:03pm

Finding Neverland and It Shoulda Been You will be performing on the Tony Award broadcast.  Scheduled to perform....

Updated On: 5/20/15 at 02:03 PM

ILuv2shop531
#57What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 3:22pm

I'm sure Finding Neverland will do "Believe", although it said Kelsey Grammer too so maybe a medley? 

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#58What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 4:03pm

"The Tony Awards upholds a valued tradition of recognizing the excellence of the entire Broadway season each year. This year’s telecast will also feature not-to-be missed performances including:

• Past Tony-nominees Matthew Morrison and Kelsey Grammer, and the cast of Finding Neverland; and

• Tyne Daly and the cast of It Shoulda Been You."

I laughed my ass off reading this. Um, the "valued tradition of recognizing the excellence of the entire Broadway season" manifests itself in actually being nominated for a Tony. Having non-nominated productions perform is the valued tradition of grabbing extra bucks out of producers for what amounts to a four-minute commercial for their shows.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

decast
#59What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 4:27pm

Weinstein must be forking out a lot for that

KathyNYC2
#60What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 5:59pm

You fork a LOT to do this even if you are nominated.

I like the idea of showing more shows than just the nominees. It's going to be obvious that they are not nominated for anything or for much of anything..so it's not like anyone is stealing anyone's thunder.

If you watch the Oscars, they often highlight not nominated movies of the year in the "entertainment" segments.

So hey it's one day a year where Broadway can showcase shows to get the general public interested ..so I so go for it.

Wilmingtom
#61What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 7:29pm

I wish they’d stop televising the Tonys and instead do a “Best of Broadway” special featuring every show and star they can get their hands on, including tours.  It would be a much more compelling commercial for Broadway and the theater in general. The Tonys could be an industry dinner event at some ballroom where all of the awards would have equal weight, the winners could speak for as long as they like, kick up their heels and not be subject to being part of a TV special. And as the ratings prove, your average viewer doesn’t know or care who is nominated for what or who wins.  Tape it and make it available on cable for us diehards.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#62What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 7:51pm

Seeing as the press release specifies that James, Oscar, and Borle will perform it seems to be a given that it will be a medley of "A musical" and either "hard to be the bard" of "will power"

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#63What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 8:41pm

I really want FN to do all that matters, but that will never happen because it doesn't feature Matt or Kelsey.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sunny11
#64What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 9:00pm

I think they will perform Live by the Hook/Stronger since they specified Matt and Kelsey will be performing it and that's been one of their most promoted numbers, it's a crowd pleaser. Almost all the critics singled out Kelsey's turn as Hook. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#65What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/20/15 at 10:14pm

ATC says Fun Home will do Ring of Keys. Lucas is wonderful but I think it will be similar to the mistake Grey Gardens made by having Ebersole do Revolutionary Costume. It's hard to sell a solo on that huge stage. 

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#66What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/21/15 at 1:35am

What if OTT did "Ya Got Me?" It features the principles, the ensemble, and most importantly Tony. Maybe If we're lucky we'll get some of Jackie Hoffman singing "I Wish I Was Dead".

Timmer
#67What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:19pm

I LOVE "Yellow Shoes".  I hope that is the number they do.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#68What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:29pm

"What if OTT did "Ya Got Me?" It features the principles, the ensemble, and most importantly Tony."

Well- it actually features all the principles BUT Tony. He's the recipient of the song but not as much of a participant.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#69What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 12:42pm

With Gigi and It Shoulda Been You performing, the real question is, what will Holler If Ya Hear Me be singing?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#70What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 2:17pm

^Well, since Holler closed almost a year ago and ended up getting zero nominations, I'm guessing that they will not be performing.

Jeffrey Karasarides
#71What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 3:18pm

It was just revealed on Twitter that the cast of Finding Neverland will (at least) be performing Stronger on the Tonys.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#72What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 10:48pm

Is Finding Neverland the only musical to be featured in back to back Tony Awards in recent history?   If so, it's insane that it is for a musical that wasn't even on BW the previous year and is completely shut out from nominations this year.   Harvey must be paying through the nose.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Jeffrey Karasarides
#73What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/22/15 at 11:42pm

^It's happened before, but mainly with Best Musical winners coming back for an encore performance such as Jersey Boys, Memphis, The Book of Mormon, Once, etc.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#74What song will they do at the Tonys?
Posted: 5/23/15 at 1:01am

"^It's happened before, but mainly with Best Musical winners coming back for an encore performance such as Jersey Boys, Memphis, The Book of Mormon, Once, etc."

OK, I can understand with shows with Tony cred, but Finding Neverland  has nothing but Harvey money to warrant being included on this list. 

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren