Spitters

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#1Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:37pm

Was thinking back on Jonathan Groff and the shower he was giving Lea Michelle every night. I've been to so few shows compared to everyone in here.  The only other sprayer I can remember nearly as bad as Groff was Alexander Gemignani.  I still don't know how Michelle was able to keep her eyes open.  Is that a big problem for the performers who are being spat on?  Who are the most famous spitters?

Stephanatic

Falling
#2Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:40pm

When I saw The Secret Garden years ago I remember Mandy Patinkin spitting quite a lot, especially during "Race You to the Top of the Morning".

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#3Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:40pm

I love watching Phantom's 25th anniversary, because if you look closely during Down Once More you can see Ramin Karimloo spitting in Sierra Boggess' face.

Sometimes I wonder how actors can keep themselves so composed when they're being hosed down like that. My hat's off to them.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

promisespromises2 Profile Photo
promisespromises2
#4Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:43pm

I saw On the Twentieth Century with both James Moye and Peter Gallagher, and if I can remember correctly they were both quite the spitters (I think Moye was a bit more).

And I think Danielle Radcliffe is too. I have no idea how they can keep their composure either or stop themselves from wiping it off when it happens.

ArtMan
#5Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:46pm

What a funny thread, South Florida.  I sat front row at Deathtrap in London and Jonathan was quite the spitter then.  Which was years after Spring Awakening. I guess if you are good at something you keep it up.

ArtMan
#6Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:46pm

Double Spit

Updated On: 7/20/15 at 04:46 PM

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#7Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:52pm

PromisesPromises took my answer, Peter Gallagher immediately came to mind (after I saw this post didn't refer to Ariana Grande).

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

hanabana
#8Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 4:58pm

Bryce Pinkham and Jefferson Mays from A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder come to mind for me.  When I saw the show, they were giving each other quite the shower (I sat in the front row).  I was on the side orchestra, so I did not get any of the shower (thankfully, even though I don't think it would bother me, it's probably still better to go without it, haha).  But this might be because of the context of the show - since many lines are exaggerated and loud, maybe that's why they spit so much.  But I think Bryce also spit a lot when I saw him in Ghost...

Also, Ben Fankhauser from Newsies, both times I saw him in the show.  Sometimes he stood really close to Jeremy Jordan and Corey Cott when he talked, and I did wonder how they could hold their ground after that (if it were me I'd probably break into laughter everytime... I guess that's why I'm not an actor...).

Updated On: 7/20/15 at 04:58 PM

broadwaysfguy
#9Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 6:39pm

peter gallagher let a lot of spit fly in OTTC. I was in the fourth row and saw him spray Kristen and fellow actors

John Owen Jones, the amazing and best ever epic phantom in london, is a LEGENDARY spitter and hosed down his poor christine throughout the show.

I was barely safe in the fourth row, and would have worn a raincoat and goggles had I been any closer.....

this is an awesome thread

funny i cant recall any big female spitters, this seems to be a guy thing....

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#10Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 6:41pm

I just logged in to ask is this only a guy thing, you beat me to it.

Stephanatic

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#11Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 6:53pm

I recall Patti LuPone and Michael Cerveris being interviewed during Sweeney and they both admitted they both (and most of that cast) were big spitters and it was a very moist company.

ChiTheaterFan
#12Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 6:54pm

I actually noticed Groff's spitting during Hamilton.  I didn't know he was known for that before!

smidge
#13Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:00pm

Yup, I was front row for Hamilton at the Public and Groff was the King of Saliva. I was on stage at Spring Awakening and felt bad for Stephen Spinella during Left Behind. 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#14Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:15pm

I remember it during Spring Awakening too... was the most I'd ever seen up to that point or since. But I also have to point out there are worse things to get on you than Groff saliva. 

Spitters

Ranger Tom
#15Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:17pm

Men are spitters; women are sweaters.  Greatest sweating I've ever seen was Donna Mckechnie doing Music and the Mirror during the original tour stay in San Francisco.  It was flying everywhere.  

smidge
#16Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 7:24pm

"I remember it during Spring Awakening too... was the most I'd ever seen up to that point or since. But I also have to point out there are worse things to get on you than Groff saliva. 

Spitters"

Truth

neonlightsxo
#17Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 8:03pm

I knew this thread was going to be about Groff before I even opened it. 

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#18Spitters
Posted: 7/20/15 at 8:26pm

Biggest offender I have ever seen was Will Chase in Drood.  He actually reached the second row several times when I saw the show.  Kind of gross...

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#19Spitters
Posted: 7/21/15 at 2:45pm

Raúl Esparza in Company.

LarryD2
#20Spitters
Posted: 7/21/15 at 3:05pm

Michael Cerveris, in everything I've ever seen him in.

Jon Groff in SPRING AWAKENING -- the first time I saw the show I was in the last row of the Atlantic, and even from that distance it was noticeable.

Jefferson Mays -- I sat front row center for I AM MY OWN WIFE and should have worn rain gear.

TweetyPie2 Profile Photo
TweetyPie2
#21Spitters
Posted: 7/21/15 at 3:10pm

Douglas Sills.

What I want to know is, who is TweetyPie1?

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#22Spitters
Posted: 7/21/15 at 3:53pm

I also opened this thread with only one name in my mind, and that name was also Groff. Whether it was Hair at the Delacorte, Spring Awakening, A New Brain, Hamilton...every time I've seen him, I have been surprised anew by just how much saliva is flying. Obviously, I've seen other performers spit. Some quite a bit. But it is never as distracting as when Groff sings.

mamaleh
#23Spitters
Posted: 7/22/15 at 10:37am

The most egregious spitting I've ever witnessed (and felt!) was perpetrated by a then largely unknown Al Pacino in DOES A TIGER WEAR A NECKTIE?.  I was a teen and hadn't seen too many plays before that, so was unprepared for the unexpected shower of saliva I received sitting in the first row.  "Intense" doesn't even begin to describe it.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#24Spitters
Posted: 7/22/15 at 10:55am

Michael Cerveris in all of the scenes where he yells in Fun Home

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#25Spitters
Posted: 7/22/15 at 11:35am

I remember Davey in Newsies being quite a spitter.  I'm pretty sure they even reference it in that rap that the Newsies made up and shot as a viral video.