pixeltracker

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread- Page 15

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#350The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/23/16 at 9:38pm

I did find the use of Toronto's Castle Loma  as the movie theatre et all amusing.

Oh if Sir Henry Pellattcrying coulda seen it!

nice to hear from you again Jane.broken heart

Don't abandon us completely!

Updated On: 10/23/16 at 09:38 PM

ChiTheaterFan
#351The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 2:34am

I know I'm behind, but I just finally watched this tonight. It was fine.  Not great. 

I grew up not on the movie but on the original Roxy cast recording. The arrangements are completely different and adjustments were clearly made for the movie to acccount for Susan Sarandon's voice. I have always GREATLY preferred the rocky horror show arrangements over the rocky horror picture show arrangements. This actually was a little better than the movie version's recordings to me. But I still wish someone would recreate the rocky horror SHOW as opposed to the rocky horror PICTURE SHOW. The latter is a cultural phenomenon that is fun and quirky, but to me, the former (without all the theater spectacle) is still better in terms of musical theater. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#352The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 2:39am

i also just watched it tonight. i mostly thought it was just dull and boring. i enjoyed Laverne more than the rest of the cast tbh. i couldn't believe how much sex and violence was removed, the bed jumping and gold shorts being particularly egregious (though Rocky's outfit in the floor show was much sexier). One bit i liked was Frank descending in a King Kong hand which i thought was a clever reference to her mentioning Fay Wray (Laverne also looked terrific in that scene and many others, though i hated her accent). Brad was also pretty good. Everyone else was kind of blah. the best part was it was only 88 minutes without commercials.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#353The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 9:57am

Sabrelady, thanks so much for your comments. Nice to read first thing in the morning! I love sounding off on issues but I become sour on the site for reasons I won't even mention. We'll see.

Chi fan - I also loved the original  UK soudtrack/score/album/OCR, (take your pick). At one point I had every incarnation of the music available. Never saw that stage version, but didn't enjoy the broadway production.

RHPS was so important in my life that I wouldn't waste a minute of my time comparing this remake. True fact - my life changed overnight after my first of hundreds of viewing it!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#354The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 10:06am

The Fox thing didn't do much for me, even though I do like Laverne.

Instead, I went to see Kevin Cahoon as Frank and Nick Adams as Rocky in the Bucks County Playhouse version this weekend, and they were a lot of fun.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#355The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 10:16am

The Bucks County version is fantastic. I saw it a few years ago starring The Skivvies, and the conceit of the Narrator playing multiple roles (as in so many other shows), but being a little overwhelmed with the quick changes, made me laugh.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#356The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 1:23pm

There seems to be no middle ground for Victoria Justice in this. Reviewers either completely despised her or thought she was great/a highlight.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#357The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 1:26pm

I won't even bother myself to watch it. The (almost) across-the-board pans from critics, fans and musical theater aficionados has soured me on even giving it a chance. It sounds terrible. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#358The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 1:35pm

^You're very smart. 

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#359The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 1:56pm

Jordan Catalano said: "^You're very smart. 

Thank you Jordan. 

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#360The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 2:09pm

I turned it off halfway through and now I'm seeing nice things written about Brad's (Ryan McCartran's performance?) "transformation"? Should I go back and watch?? (I did like Annaleigh; seeing "Sunday" on Wednesday).

Thanks, kids!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#361The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 2:42pm

Watch from Rose Tint to the end. Ryan is a completely different being and it made me wonder why he stuck with such poor acting choices up until then. Especially after "Heathers," which he was terrific in. Enjoy "Sunday" on Wednesday!! Hope you'll post your thoughts in the thread on it!

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#362The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 2:55pm

That Laverne Cox is getting some good reviews is not saying much. She basically played Frank-N-Furter as a drag queen who in one segment channels Grace Jones and then does a little Beyonce until the very end where she pulls a Tina Turner. 

It was THE LAVERNE COX IMPERSONATION HORROR SHOW 

FUCKING MESS

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#363The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:19pm

I'm just now getting around to this and it's pretty terrible. The Time Warp is the moment when you know their interpretation of the piece is so wrong that it can't be saved. Not only does it feel like a high school musical dance sequence, but why are all the guests these hot 20-somethings with ripped abs and bare midriffs? For me, a big part of Rocky Horror is that all the freaks and weirdos and nerds and outcasts who are too old or too fat or too gangly or too bizarre for society to handle have found a place to be loved and accepted. These actors were NONE of these things. The cast should have been all ages and body types and they should have been WEIRD. That's what Rocky Horror is celebrating- not cookie cutter "hot" people in hot topics outfits. 

Part of the joy of Tim Curry's performance is that it set you on edge. It was unpredictable. If wanted to have sex with you, whether you be man, woman, gay, straight or anywhere in between, he would be able to have you and you'd be powerless to resist. There was ZERO of these in Cox' performance, nor  in that of the staff or guests. 

Extremely disappointing. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#364The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:26pm

I caught up on Westworld instead of tuning into this. I couldn't motivate myself to watch another exasperating telecast- after three presidential debates, I felt like I had earned some James Marsden dressed as a cowboy.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#365The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 3:31pm

Hey Kad! I still have to watch WW from last night! Pretty great...(today is Raul's birthday!) Later dude!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#366The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 7:01pm

Everything about this show was a mess...  And not in a camp, going-for-broke kind genius kind of way.  It just felt cheap (sans those amazing costumes), truncated and bland.  No sex, no fear, no grime.  Why redo RH if you're going to hand it over to the network television censors?

Cox was giving a bad copy of an already classic performance.  That accent...  Tons of completely missed lines, missed comedy, missed double-entendre...  And I missed Tim Curry immensely watching such a lackluster attempt.  Cox moved like a pageant drag queen.  It did nothing for the character, IMO.

I've never been much of a fan of Kenny Ortega.  This pretty much cements my complete dislike of his talents.

Updated On: 10/24/16 at 07:01 PM

BlackElleWoods Profile Photo
BlackElleWoods
#367The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 7:37pm

So I've watched this 5 times lol i keep finding myself itching to watch it .... Safe to say I like it , the worst part about it to me was Janet . I particularly liked magenta and Columbia ! 

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#368The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 7:40pm

I thought it was fine up until Time Warp, where I literally cringed. I watched the rest of it, and really it had some funny parts, but overall - no. Everything after Rose Tint was pretty good too, although it seems that most everyone agrees with that. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#369The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 9:11pm

how did you suffer through it five times lol i could barely get through one

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

BlackElleWoods Profile Photo
BlackElleWoods
#370The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/24/16 at 9:35pm

gypsy101 said: "how did you suffer through it five times lol i could barely get through one

" Something about magenta and Columbia lol I watch specifically for them ! Oh and the song Rocky sings !!! I love his voice 

brdway411
#371The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/25/16 at 3:09am

Wow, I think I need a shot of insulin, That was so sickening sweet. No edge.... HORRIBLE!!! 

smidge
#372The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/31/16 at 3:38pm

Just got around to watching this for Halloween.  Everything about it is atrocious and amateurish.  Except Annaleigh Ashford. She is the only one I could tolerate.

temms Profile Photo
temms
#373The Rocky Horror Picture Show Event Offical Thread
Posted: 10/31/16 at 9:53pm

I didn't care for it. But it inspired me to check out the live cinemacast they did in the UK last year - it's called "The Rocky Horror Show Live" and it's the stage version filmed at a theatre. David Bedella is Frank and I liked him a lot - very in the Tim Curry mold but fully realized. They had alternating narrators including Stephen Fry and Richard O'Brien. It's the updated stage version that incorporates some of the movie changes (reversing "Sweet Transvestite" and "Time Warp", for instance) but much closer to the original. It wasn't up to the Broadway revival which I loved (with both Tom Hewitt and Terrence Mann) but I enjoyed it a lot more than what Fox did. It's on YouTube, I suggest checking it out if you're a fan and were disappointed with what we got on TV.