pixeltracker

Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show- Page 2

Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#25Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:29am

Sorry, I have to correct myself. The feds have a problem with that solution.

We remind and warn consumers that it is a violation of federal law to use a cell jammer or similar devices that intentionally block, jam, or interfere with authorized radio communications such as cell phones, police radar, GPS, and Wi-Fi.

https://www.fcc.gov/general/jamming-cell-phones-and-gps-equipment-against-law

There may be legal ways to block cell phone reception, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#26Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:50am

There are a certain amount of people that just don't give a crap whether their cell phone goes off during a performance. Their phone calls are much more important. There are some people who think the show should be held for them when they are late or late getting back from intermission. With ticket prices so high they feel the theatre is there to serve them.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#27Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 4:52am

Although I used to leave in fear of my phone "switching itself on"- ie pressing against something whilst in my pocket- I came up with a solution which was to simply not take a phone to the theatre.  It is possible to survive for a few hours.

Theatre is a communal activity, a dialogue between actors and audience, and to allow a disturbance like this is simply anti-social.  Sadly, though, some people are quite comfortable with being selfishly anti-social.  They deserve to be identified and dealt with.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#28Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 7:52am

If Laura had stopped the show after one ring or even two, that could be deemed an overly aggressive response (not by me though), but clearly this phone kept ringing! I don't think it was unprofessional at all for her to stop the show at that point. Clearly the person who owned the phone couldn't get his/her act together to at least stop the ringing in a timely manner. 

And she's a human being - I'm sure it took her out of the moment and made it difficult to keep going. I also imagine this was a breaking point moment for her. All actors can see people texting and taking pictures,etc, but hearing a loud phone ring ruins the moment for everyone. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#29Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 7:59am

I don't think Laura acted unprofessionally at all. Live theatre is about the exchange and interaction between the people putting on the show and the audience. If the audience is disrespectful or is keeping those involved with the show from doing their job, then how can the show go on? Actors are human beings, not holograms as someone else said. And part of being an actor is staying present and invested in the moment. It seems that the noise distracted Laura enough that she was pulled out of the moment. I'm sure if she could have just carried on, she would have. That she remained calm, said little, and promptly continued proves her professionalism to me.

Also, put me in the camp that does not accept on any level the whole, "they don't know how to turn their phone off," excuse. If you can turn it on and use it in any way, you can turn it off just as easily. Give me a break.

Updated On: 5/1/16 at 07:59 AM

ArtMan
#30Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:12am

SmoothLover said: "There are a certain amount of people that just don't give a crap whether their cell phone goes off during a performance. Their phone calls are much more important. There are some people who think the show should be held for them when they are late or late getting back from intermission. With ticket prices so high they feel the theatre is there to serve them.

"

Exactly.  Until theaters kick the people out with no refund it will continue.  Same thing at movies. But owners are afraid of the bad pr.  Assoles will continue to break rules until there is some sort of punishment.  I'm telling you let one get kicked out with no refund, they won't do it again.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#31Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:13am

"As I mentioned before many people - older ones mostly - simply do not know how to power off their cell phones. "

I consider myself an older person and my goodness age has nothing to do with turning your phone off. You can turn it off, set it to vibrate or even put it in airplane mode which is very easy. You mean to tell me older people never get on airplane or silence it at church.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#32Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:14am

It is such a shame and congratulations to Ms. Benanti for being able to handle it so well.

Harmonium
#33Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:32am

Updated On: 6/17/17 at 08:32 AM

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#34Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:34am

I'm kind of sick of people who act like Christlike patience is the only "professional" response to this BS. See how you react when you're in a similar situation.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

aaaaaa15
#35Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:41am

I just don't get the argument about Laura disturbing the performance. It was already disturbed. It would have taken the audience far more out of the moment if the phone had continued to ring and Laura had forgotten her words or something similar. 

By the way the audience clapped, I imagine they enjoyed Laura's telling off. It's a way for people to say 'guess what happened when I went to see She Loves Me last night' rather than 'I saw She Loves Me but this scene was ruined because someones phone wouldn't stop ringing.'

I saw Big Fish in previews a few years ago and at one point Norbert stopped the show and announced to the audience that the floor was too slippery to continue and they needed to sort it out, so there was a 15 minute break. As soon as the break ended it didn't take me out of the performance at all, I went straight back into seeing Norbert as his character. 

Updated On: 5/1/16 at 08:41 AM

Harmonium
#36Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:46am

Updated On: 6/17/17 at 08:46 AM

AnnieBlack
#37Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 8:50am

What bothers me is when shows use the 'actor says something about the cellphone' to get press for the show- I hate that actors have to go through it, but also hate that press agents then feed the story to page six. 

followspot Profile Photo
followspot
#38Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 9:14am

What bothers me is when shows use the 'actor says something about the cellphone' to get press for the show- I hate that actors have to go through it, but also hate that press agents then feed the story to page six.

It's usually chat board discussions with titles like Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show that get such stories rolling.

"Tracy... Hold Mama's waffles."
Updated On: 5/1/16 at 09:14 AM

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#39Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 9:17am

I think what Laura did was great, and I had I been there, I would have cheered for her and the way she handled it. As an audience member, you already get taken out of the moment by the phone ringing, and I'd much rather have the performance stop and wait for the disruption to go away or be dealt with, and then go on, then try to feel the moment that's being created on stage and try to ignore the disruption. It doesn't work! And given that this person was evidently sitting center orchestra and the ringing could be heard in the mezzanine, this was a disruption for hundreds of people, and the vast majority of people at the performance, expect maybe those in the very rear mezz and orch.

Also, the fact alone that the person let their phone ring instead of rushing to turn it off immediately after the first ring speaks volumes about everybody's expectancy that the show will go and that it's "not that bad". They rather continue to disrupt the show for everyone than to man up, admit it was them and turn it off. Because they know they can get away with it.

Stopping the show will tell them they can't. Even if the person whose phone rang in the first place is immune to the humiliation, everyone else who was there will likely be more mindful in the future because they saw what can happen. At least for a little while.

I agree about the press exploiting it being annoying (Hand To God last year...) but that's just what it, and it does bring the whole cell phone issue to the attention of people more.

Also, how can anyone not know how to turn off their phone? How do they turn it on if they ever run out of battery? It's literally the first thing in the manual when you get a new phone, even the quick guide. But if you truly don't know, just put it on silent! I never turn mine off, just silent and sometimes flight more to save battery (because terrible reception in many theaters).

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#40Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 9:24am

Harmonium said: "I've work in professional theater 8 times a week on the road at front of house.  If you think this problem is bad in New York (and it is), it's much worse on the road where house staff is mostly volunteer and the number of seats (and phones) in the theater is much larger.  Many of the more modern road houses now are built with materials in such a way that cell service in the house is poor or non-existent.  That's the only reprieve for me.

I'm sick of performers and patrons who overreact and cause a larger disruption for everyone.  There is no actual real solution where this gets better.  You can be angry with me AC126748, but mine is not the phone that's ringing.

"

So it wouldn't bother you if a performer was distracted and forgot what they were doing and had to stop anyway?  Except the excuse would be, "Sorry, I forgot."  I think people would be more angry at that and you bet people would be bad mouthing that.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

Randomlink1
#41Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 9:46am

KJisgroovy said: "The landscape has changed since your definition of "professionalism" was originally established. It's difficult for me to imagine Ethel Merman not doing something similar had someone brought a ringing cell phone into a matinee performance of Call Me Madam. 

"

I actually heard a story of my director saying that an actor was being rude during an Ethel Merman show, and she ended up dragging him out of the audience. I don't know if it's 100% true (or if it was Ethel Merman), but Ethel Merman and a lot of other people would do this if it happened in their times.

Besides, it's important to note that cellphones interfere with the mic system, so it may ruin the experience for a lot more people since they may be unable to hear the actress onstage.

I think if it was Patti LuPone it might've been more professional, since she only stopped the person taking pictures when it was putting her in danger of misstepping somewhere and falling, and she took the person's phone in the other case. That being said, keep in mind this actress is being distracted too, so in a way the cell phone was hindering the performance in a lot of other ways.

Broadwaystar2
#42Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 10:56am

Harmonium said: "But folks that's NOT professional behavior- a professional actor continues their performance despite the distraction, and Ms. Benanti should not be applauded for stopping.  Dead-stopping the show pulls the entire audience out of the play- many of which probably couldn't hear the phone ringing- and doing so for a non-emergency or technical problem is wrong.  She should be written up and fined.  Patron-shaming is wrong and doesn't solve the problem.

I work on a show where it's commonplace for the performers to draw attention to minor technical problems or audience distractions with stupid ad-libs or other poor onstage behavior.  It's frustrating and humiliating for the technical department who made the mistake, and disrespectful to the author of the play and rest of the crowd.

I know it's frustrating for everyone when phones go off- house managers and ushers need to be more vigilant with patrons who ignore the rules or cause distractions, which is the only remedy short of cell phone blockers in theaters.

"

Good bye! You're wrong!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#43Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 10:58am

KJisgroovy said: "The landscape has changed since your definition of "professionalism" was originally established. It's difficult for me to imagine Ethel Merman not doing something similar had someone brought a ringing cell phone into a matinee performance of Call Me Madam. "

Exactly. The landscape has changed. And this isn't going away anytime soon. It has pretty much gotten to the point where the theatre community should start shaming these people with some aggresive campaign. Out of the last 5 shows I have been to a phone went off at 4 (that I heard). People have become entitled and so attached to their smart phones. I had a lady next to me once whose phone went off and se said she didn't know how to turn it off. My reponse was " learn how to use your phone or leave it home. You are disrupting a performance." I have found most of the people who can't turn them off are people who appear to be in their late 60's and above. I always wonder if they just leave it on all the time. They evidentally know how to charge it, make a call and answer it. How in the world do they not know how to press and hold a button to turn it off and on.

It is horrible to walk into a theater wondering if a phone is going to go off and ruin a moment in a show. We pay our hard earned money to go and even if we are comped, we should not have to endure this. I am all for blocking them. I know that is tricky but I am sure a way can be found to do it. JMO

Just give the world Love.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#44Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:02am

My wife and I are in the age group in question. We always make sure our phones are turned off before we even enter the theater. We do not turn them on until we walk out after the show.

Poster Emeritus

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#45Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:26am

NOWaWarning said: "Also, put me in the camp that does not accept on any level the whole, "they don't know how to turn their phone off," excuse. If you can turn it on and use it in any way, you can turn it off just as easily. Give me a break."

I don't accept it as an excuse either, but I certainly believe it is true.

When I attended one of the first previews of Bright Star, sitting Orchestra G, an older woman's cell phone started ringing during one of the more emotional book scenes in the second act.  It rang through one full cycle (I guess four to five rings).  And then it made a sound when the caller left a voice mail.  And it rang another four or five rings when the caller tried to call back.  And then it started ringing yet again... It finally dawned on her that it might be her phone, and once she fumbled through her purse to get her iPhone out, she started hitting buttons to try to turn it off.  At that point, mortified that everyone around me thought it was my phone, I actually asked her to give it to me and I turned it off for her.  I hate to perpetuate an age stereotype, but she clearly had no idea how to turn off her phone to the point where I had to do it for her.

I truly wish Carmen Cusack would have stopped the scene while the audience member dealt with her phone. I honestly didn't hear a single word that was said on that stage, and neither did the dozens of people sitting around us who were outraged, shushing and sighing call after call after call.  It was horrible.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#46Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:27am

Mr Roxy said: "My wife and I are in the age group in question. We always make sure our phones are turned off before we even enter the theater. We do not turn them on until we walk out after the show."

Please don't take that as a blanket statement. It is from my experiences at the theater.

Just give the world Love.

humbugfoto Profile Photo
humbugfoto
#47Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:38am

Dollypop, forgive me of you meant your comment satirically (I really REALLY hope you did), but just in case you were serious (you can’t have been, right?), well, I have to comment.

I have been an opera lover my entire life. We listened to the Met Opera every Saturday religiously – I was listening while still in the womb. I still listen to nearly every broadcast. I’m nearly 60, and last year on a trip to New York, for the first time in my life, I finally was able to attend a performance at the Met (Ernani with Domingo and Levine conducting). This was something at the top of my bucket list. I can’t begin to tell you how thrilled I was to be in that building. I’m pretty sure I cried a little before the curtain went up.

I would never ever take a picture during a performance, and I have never taken a selfie in my life, but at intermission I went down near the stage and took a selfie of myself with the golden curtain of the Metropolitan Opera behind me. I hate, loathe and despise pictures of myself, but that is one I will always treasure. Honestly, I don’t see how my action could have been intrusive on someone else's experience there.

(And even though I’ve heard my entire life how huge the Met stage is, and have seen countless telecasts and pictures, I was still unprepared for the reality of just how enormous it is – it’s breathtaking. The image of Placido Domingo standing alone halfway up a stone stairway that filled the stage is something I will never forget. It was a singularly memorable experience.)

Sarcasm is an allergic reaction to stupid people.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#48Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 11:54am

I was at a performance of Pillowman. As we all know, there are many moments of intense dramatic silence in that play. In fact, most of the play is like that. Well, about twenty minutes in, a man came late, When he was seated, he yelled out "I can't see!" I'm saying yelled because the entire theater rang out with his bellow. To make it worse, another idiot yelled back at him "Shut up." Then the first guy yelled "YOU shut  up."  I stared at Jeff Goldblum, to see if he would be stopping the show or continuing on, and I was glad that he continued on. Yes, the yelling put a halt to the mood that was created in the play, but it lasted seconds and Jeff was professional enough to continue. In this instance, stopping the play would have totally ruined it instead of a few seconds of annoyance.

p.s. I know this wasn't cell phone issue. I was addressing the practice of stopping the show because of a disturbance.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES
Updated On: 5/1/16 at 11:54 AM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#49Cell Phone Nightmare: Laura Benanti Stops the Show
Posted: 5/1/16 at 12:11pm

About a year ago I got a new cell phone, and I couldn't figure out how to turn it off, so I just left it on all the time. (It as an iPhone and holding the button at the bottom does not turn it off, it gets you Suri.) I was at the movies with my daughter who was in the bathroom just as the film started so I asked a guy nearby if he could help me turn the phone off. He did, plus he took a moment to show me where the stupid switch was.