pixeltracker

Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?- Page 2

Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?

5377brian Profile Photo
5377brian
#25Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 4:52pm

For the two people in the world who haven't seen "Wicked", but know the show because of the cast album, they miss out on a beautiful part with Nessarose, because it wasn't on the cast album due to 

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

Stephen Schwartz not wanting to reveal that she was the Wicked Witch of the East and is killed. 

Not all spoken but still beautiful I think...

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#26Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 5:02pm

Speaking of Wicked, I've always loved G(a)linda's line about Fiyero: "I don't even think he's perfect any more and I still want him." When done correctly by an actress, it's an important and funny/touching step in the character's maturation.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before

Dollypop
#27Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 7:06pm

In DOLLY, just before the parade number Dolly emphatically states, "I will, Irene, I will!" It leads to the big parade and the whole 2nd act hinges on it.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#28Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 7:17pm

Great topic.

Stephanatic

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#29Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 7:36pm

From The Fantasticks, one of El Gallo's speeches: 

"You wonder how these things begin. Well, this begins with a glen. It begins with a season which, for want of a better word we may as well call- September. It begins in a forest where the woodchucks woo, and the leaves wax green, and vines intertwine like lovers; try to see it. not with your eyes, for they are wise, but see it with your ears: the cool green breathing of the leaves. And hear it with the inside of your hand: the soundless sound of shadows flicking light. Celebrate sensation. Recall that secret place. You've been there, you remember: That special place where once- Just once- in your crowded sunlit lifetime, you hid away in shadow from the tyranny of time. That spot beside the clover where someone's hand held your hand and love was sweeter than the berries, or the honey, or the stinging taste of mint. It is September- before a rainfall- a perfect time to be in love."

Ranger Tom
#30Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 7:44pm

See, I never heard about "The Red Shoes," I never saw "The Red Shoes," I didn't give a f*** about "The Red Shoes."

BrockMButler Profile Photo
BrockMButler
#31Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 8:21pm

"Don't be afraid it won't be perfect, The only thing to be afraid of really is that it won't be."

Brock

Tom5
#32Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 8:49pm

Etcetera etcetera etcetera.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#33Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/18/16 at 10:41pm

"What in the world happened to you?" "The world happened to me."

--The Fantasticks

"What we need...is a drink."

--Follies

Michael Kras Profile Photo
Michael Kras
#34Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/19/16 at 8:52pm

The last line of Fun Home is that perfect final gut punch after a song that already has you pouring tears out of your eye sockets. 

I also think one of the most brilliant spoken sections of dialogue of any musical ever is from Into the Woods. When Little Red is upset about the idea of killing another human, and the Witch criticizes her for killing the wolf that her new cloak is made from, Little Red defends herself by saying "A wolf's not the same." The Witch knocked the wind out of me with her reply: "Ask a wolf's mother."

sarahb22 Profile Photo
sarahb22
#35Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/19/16 at 9:02pm

The first time I saw '1776' live, our local community theater put on a production in 1979.  The whole country was feeling pretty crappy about itself, but when the scrim dropped down at the end with all the signers of the Declaration of Independence on it, and the actor playing John Adams stepped in front of it and pointed to it with his walking stick - spontaneous standing ovation. It was awesome!

¿Macavity?
#36Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 4:17am

There's so many to choose from, but right now I think my very favorite part of a musical (with only musical accompaniment, not a song of course) is probably the part in Matilda inbetween "My House" and "Revolting Children". My favorite parts out of that section is 1) when Matilda finds out that Trunchbull is Honey's aunt and the loud music, flashing lights, and intimidating visuals begin, and 2) I just love the "Chalk Writing" sequence.

I also love the "Amanda Thripp" scene, just hearing the whole house gasp made it even funnier!

notalwaysontime Profile Photo
notalwaysontime
#37Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 7:20am

At the end of all the transformations in Cinderella, when the Fairy Godmother says to her "Now go to the ball, in the name of every girl who has ever wished to go to a ball in a beautiful dress, in the name of every girl who has ever wanted to change the world she lived in! Go, with the promise of possibility!"

That line gets me at least a little bit, every time.

Updated On: 5/20/16 at 07:20 AM

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#38Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 12:47pm

The cartwheel at the end of Matilda

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#39Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 1:17pm

Priscilla Queen of the Desert .... Tony Sheldon to Keala Settle - aka Bernadette and Shirley....

"Now Listen here you mullet.  Why don't you just light your tampon and blow your box apart, because it's the only bang you're ever going to get sweetheart."

Updated On: 5/20/16 at 01:17 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#40Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 8:18pm

From THE MUSIC MAN:

WINTHROP
You said there was gonna be a band!

HILL
I always think there's a band, kid.

Polka Dot2 Profile Photo
Polka Dot2
#41Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 9:57pm

I'm going to be vague here to avoid a spoiler - there is a moment in Hamilton where two characters hold hands. One of the most heartfelt moments ever onstage.

Little Shop:

Mr. Mushnick: let me guess, you got tied up?

Audrey: No, just handcuffed a little...

And pretty much the entire book of Into the Woods

"I was raised to be charming, not sincere"

"You talk to birds?"

"Giants are bigger!....Much, much bigger..."

"We should tell someone." - "Who are you going to tell?"

"We are moving."

beilis32
#42Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/20/16 at 11:26pm

Wow, I didn't expect this many people to respond! Thanks everyone and keep it coming because this is really interesting to read.  I have more: There's a line in at least the movie of West Side Story where Anita says " I don't know which is thicker, your skull or your accent!" Also, pretty much everything Madam Armfeldt says in Night Music qualifies. And for some reason, I love the way Archibald says "last night I had a dream, I walked through the maze to Lily's garden and saw Lily and Mary standing there" on the recording of Secret Garden is just beautiful. Could whoever said the Hamilton thing about holding hands please elaborate? I am so curious, and I won't be seeing it anytime soon unfortunately! 

Updated On: 5/20/16 at 11:26 PM

Wilmingtom
#43Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 2:05am

"I thought you did it for me, Momma."

AHLiebross Profile Photo
AHLiebross
#44Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 7:29am

I don't know if this counts, because it's said during a song but it's hilarious. A:"That sounds miserable." B: "Actually they call it Miser-AH-ble," from Something Rotten. (Paraphrased)

GOOOOOOOO! from The Phantom of the Opera.

Tevye's asking God to choose someone else, i.e., someone other than Jews, from Fiddler.

Great topic!

Audrey

Audrey, the Phantom Phanatic, who nonetheless would rather be Jean Valjean, who knew how to make lemonade out of lemons.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#45Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 8:43am

Actors are not animals! They're human beings! 

They are? Have you ever eaten with one?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

woeisme3
#46Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 9:48am

"I'm a pretty girl, mama." from Gypsy. 

It's a total throwaway line, but "I swear the slaves in Ancient Rome were on a pleasure cruise compared to my life in this house!" from Mary Poppins always cracks me up.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#47Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 11:01am

"She showed me and taught us all that being true to yourself never goes out of style" -- Vivienne, Legally Blonde: The Musical. 

"Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground." -- Theodore Roosevelt, Newsies. 

The moment in Wicked as Elphaba is preparing to leave and Fiyero is beckoning her and she turns to look out as Glinda's in the bubble and they just share this last moment, not aware the other is watching. 

"Excuse me, there's no pretense here - I happen to be genuinely self absorbed and deeply shallow" - Fiyero, Wicked. 

Any of the moments between Henri, Adam, and Jerry in American in Paris are pure gold. The banter is just perfection. 

"Does your cousin dance?" "Like a drunk Chita Rivera" -- In the Heights. 

The horrified looks on the Elders faces as the Africans perform "Joseph Smith All American Moses" in Book of Mormon. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#48Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/21/16 at 11:37am

Pretty much the whole book of A Little Night Music is perfection. I've always loved the scene between Frederick and Desiree right before Send in the Clowns, and all of Charlotte's lines are phenomenal as well.

It's probably moreso Bernadette's delivery, but I love this line from Into the Woods: "Who cares? The cow is gone! Get it back!" 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

Bell0708
#49Favorite line/part of a musical that isn't the lyrics of a song?
Posted: 5/22/16 at 7:41pm

"Well, we can't all come and go by bubble". - Wicked