Restaurant help?

leezy8242
#1Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 1:45pm

Headed into the city for memorial day weekend and have Fun Home and Hamilton on Saturday and Sunday nights (respectively). Looking for something not a chain and not crazy expensive, if possible. Thanks in advance!! 

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 1:58pm

I always recommend Trattoria Trecolori, on W 47th.  Very good Italian food, very reasonable prices.  Reservations needed.  Their risotto dishes are particularly good.

http://www.trattoriatrecolori.com/

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#3Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:04pm

Tons of options....but you need to give us a little more: sushi? American? Tapas?  Pizza?  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#4Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:04pm

Asking about a restaurant in NYC is like walking into a car lot looking for a car with 4 tires.  There's at least 4-5 restaurants on every block.  

Be more specific on type of food you're looking for and you'll get a nice varied response here.  

Relevance81491
#5Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:09pm

44&X 

Esca for Italian 

the Bar Room at The Modern 

Totto Ramen 

Betony 

leezy8242
#6Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:10pm

We will eat most cuisines-- it's me, my mom, and my 17 year old sister. American, Italian, etc. I know that there are tons of restaurants in the area, but just looking for your best recommendations! :)

dramamama611
#7Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:14pm

Hell's Kitchen, Mexican.

You MUST eat the brussel sprout taco.  To DIE for.

It's a bar in the front, but they have regular seating in the back.   DELISH.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#8Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:18pm

For Good Italian food, try Osteria Al Doge on 43rd street

Poster Emeritus

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#9Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:35pm

Junior's - hands down.  They have a very large menu, fantastic location and great food.  You can't go wrong there.  

KathyNYC2
#10Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:49pm

nealb1 said: "Junior's - hands down.  They have a very large menu, fantastic location and great food.  You can't go wrong there.  

"

You just have to leave a long time for Junior's..it's always packed. Don't expect to just pop in. But it's very close to Hamilton.

I personally like Thalia which is right across the side street from Fun Home on 8th Avenue/50th Street. You can see the menu online if you are unsure about the prices/food selection. And they accept reservations...nice atmosphere.

Updated On: 5/26/16 at 02:49 PM

lucillefrank Profile Photo
lucillefrank
#11Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/26/16 at 2:55pm

My favorite is V{IV} on 49th and 9th (it's really good thai) or Nizza on 45th and 9th.

i've got 99 problems and a revival of parade would solve like 94 of them

brdway411
#12Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 1:35am

We have been eating at B Squared (Hells Kitchen's sister restaurant). Amazing pizza and pasta, 9th ave at 47th street. 

MarkBearSF Profile Photo
MarkBearSF
#13Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 2:16am

We LOVED our dinner at Pergola des Artistes, just a couple of doors down from Hamilton on 46th. (between the Imperial Theatre and the "iPhone case vendors" in the lot on the corner of 8th.) We later saw "American Psycho" but Alex Trabek was at a nearby table and later attended Hamilton.

belrowley
#14Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:40am

The popular ramen spots (Totto, Ippudo) don't take reservations and have insane waits (over an hour most nights) so I wouldn't recommend those if you're seeing a show later that night.

If you walk over to 9th and 46th, you'll see the Yum Yum Thai restaurants. There's like three in a row owned by the same people, and they're all quick, cheap, and good.

JPeterman Profile Photo
JPeterman
#15Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 3:27pm

madbrian said: "I always recommend Trattoria Trecolori, on W 47th.  Very good Italian food, very reasonable prices.  Reservations needed.  Their risotto dishes are particularly good."

I second this recommendation.  Their combo seafood pasta dish is awesome.

Another great Italian restaurant is La Masseria.  These two are much better than Osteria al Doge, in my opinion.  

Hunt and Fish Club is really good but more expensive then these others.

Jshan05 Profile Photo
Jshan05
#16Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 3:35pm

Don Antonio and Toloache are some favorites of mine. The first is great pizza a few blocks away and Toloache is on the same block as Fun Home and has pretty good Mexican!

Updated On: 5/27/16 at 03:35 PM

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#17Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:47pm

KathyNYC2, yes Junior's can be very crowded, with a long wait depending on when you arrive.  But, now that the weather is so nice, the outside patio is open and the wait time is very little - even during peak hours.   That's a very good thing.   When I go, I always sit at the bar, as usually when I go to NYC I go solo and love to sit at the bar and have dinner.  

Mike66
#18Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:53pm

Two Italian places we love every time --  La Masseria (48th between Broadway and 8th)  212 582 2111 try for reservations, they book up early.  CALL, they don't release pre-theatre times on line

and Cara Mia (Ninth and 45th) -- 212-262-6767. 

We share a salad, each our own entrée, share a desert, one glass of wine for each.

Masseria will cost $100 ish , Cara Mia, maybe $15 less.

We love them both

playbill-love
#19Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 4:53pm

Junior's has good cheesecake, but I find it to be hideously overpriced for boring food and usually has a very long wait. 

I like RoomService on 9th for Thai, Five Napkin Burger on 45th for burgers, and Toloache (right next to Fun Home which could be very convenient for you all) for fancy Mexican. 

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#20Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 5:00pm

Fun Home and Hamilton! My two favorite shows! Have fun!

I like to eat really close to the theater so that I don't have to race for blocks on crowded streets.

For Fun Home, you have a lot of options.  Toloache, which is Mexican, is really wonderful. It's not cheap, and it tends to be crowded, so make a reservation if possible. There is also a nice, big Pain Quotien on West 50th between Sixth and Seventh on the north side of the street. That's reasonable and casual, and the food is good.

@z5
#21Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 6:36pm

Kodama has excellent sushi on W45...basically across the street from Kinky Boots, normally priced too.

bunnie3 Profile Photo
bunnie3
#22Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 10:18pm

B SQUARED!  A must!   Fantastic pizza, also fantastic pasta, veggie apps are deeelish!  Very good cocktails.  Small nabe place, so reserve.  (NOT a tourist trap....yet. New place.  let's hope)

I'm "TINY"aka TheTinyMagic. BWW log on problems forever. Yeesh.

leezy8242
#23Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/27/16 at 11:50pm

Okay, update: went to Hell's Kitchen tonight before seeing Curious Incident--SO GOOD! And took the advice to get the Brussel sprout taco and I definitely didn't regret it! So yummy! Thanks again for all of your suggestions! :)

BroadwayPeasent
#24Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/28/16 at 12:01am

ma peche

https://mapeche.momofuku.com/mapeche/menu/lunch/

or is it too expensive or too far. 

Maybe the burger place at le merdian . I went to another one called two napkins or something like that

Updated On: 5/28/16 at 12:01 AM

dramamama611
#25Restaurant help?
Posted: 5/28/16 at 1:20am

leezy8242 said: "Okay, update: went to Hell's Kitchen tonight before seeing Curious Incident--SO GOOD! And took the advice to get the Brussel sprout taco and I definitely didn't regret it! So yummy! Thanks again for all of your suggestions! :)

"I'm so glad you liked it! I might just show up there tomorrow myself for lunch.

Videos