pixeltracker

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical- Page 3

Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical

Englishrose98
#50Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 8:58am

Legally Blonde, Carrie (revival), and Chess- I love everything about the 2008 concert recording

Princeton2
#51Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:38am

Mamma mia, love it. Its such a good time and always guaranteed to cheer me up. I also think its one of the best jukebox shows

Hairspray, again always guaranteed to put a smile on my face

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#52Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:39am

Sorry, but BRING IT ON has no place in a "Guilty Pleasure" discussion since that's just a GOOD show. It's a solid, fun musical that succeeded in basically every way.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#53Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 11:18am

Probably Rock of Ages for me. I hated the movie and don't even really like the cast album, but I had a great time at the show. If Constantine had sung "Oh Sherrie" for American Idol, I probably would have voted for him.

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#54Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 12:16pm

Tuck Everlasting and Legally Blond

Hest882 Profile Photo
Hest882
#55Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 4:24pm

Definitely The Wedding Singer. Which I love. The score is so catchy and clever, albeit fluffy.

My deep dark secret guilty pleasure, though--the one I'm a tad ashamed to reveal to y'all--is the Gale Edwards Jesus Christ Superstar.

Tateh Profile Photo
Tateh
#56Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 8:36pm

Carrie (revival)

American Psycho

Rock of Ages

Emmaloucbway
#57Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 10:44pm

I posted earlier but I'll add more:
- Chess (I'm also a big fan of the 2008 concert recording)

- Cats

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#58Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 11:04pm

School Of Rock, Rock of Ages, Disaster, and Legally Blonde

ageorges3 Profile Photo
ageorges3
#59Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 11:32pm

Definitely Cats for me too!  Everyone in my family thinks (with understandable reason, let's be real, it's a musical about dancing cats) it's a horrendous show.  But I was captivated as a kid.  Those sets were stunning (I remember walking into the Winter Garden and going through the backstage area you had to go through to get to the on-stage seating, and being blown away when I saw that junkyard set up close), the dancing and theatricality impressive, and yeah, it's definitely my guilty pleasure show!

Updated On: 9/18/16 at 11:32 PM

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#60Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/18/16 at 11:40pm

SIDE SHOW

BLOODY BLOODY ANDREW JACKSON

AMERICAN PSYCHO

STORY OF MY LIFE

BROOKLYN

...to name a few.

#61Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/19/16 at 6:11pm

I have always loved Starlight Express especially the Original Broadway Cast.

Most people hated the 2000 Jesus Christ Superstar movie with Glenn Carter but I love that  version.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#62Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/19/16 at 6:13pm

Priscilla Queen of the Desert

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#63Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/19/16 at 9:57pm

I think there's a difference between a "guilty pleasure" and a "noble failure". The latter is serious (even if comic) in intention and skillful in execution, but failed to generate sufficient popular interest to achieve commercial success. Most of Sondheim's musicals and BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY are, IMO, noble failures.

A guilty pleasure, on the hand and whatever its commercial success, is a piece that doesn't aim very high in the first place, but offers some sort of odd pleasure nonetheless. For some, MAMA MIA! and STARLIGHT EXPRESS might fall into this category. Myself, I'll admit to having seen SHENANDOAH many, many times because of my love for the source material and for John Cullum.

@z5
#64Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/19/16 at 10:03pm

If/Then and Waitress.... and their cast recordings. 

aeb4546
#65Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/20/16 at 10:24am

Legally Blonde as well! Glad I'm not the only one!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#66Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/20/16 at 10:28am

XANADU hands down

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#67Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/20/16 at 10:56am

MOBY DICK, the  Mackintosh version set in an all girls' school.  Never seen it live, but I love that score

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#68Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/20/16 at 11:53am

Beautiful the Carole King Musical... Seeing it for the fifth time in two weeks! One of my friends love it as well!  

Updated On: 9/20/16 at 11:53 AM

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#69Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/20/16 at 12:07pm

thirtythirtyninety said: "MOBY DICK, the  Mackintosh version set in an all girls' school.  Never seen it live, but I love that score

"

The entire show is on YouTube.  It's not great quality video.  Indeed, the CD is not a studio Cast Recording - but I understand was taken from the sound board of the last show and was intended to be only for the cast.  

Updated On: 9/20/16 at 12:07 PM

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#70Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/20/16 at 12:24pm

Footloose. I'm obsessed with the album.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#71Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 9/20/16 at 12:58pm

I'll add my sincere affection for 13, Cats, and Priscilla, all of which I saw more than once. And then one show I really enjoyed that hasn't been named because I think I'm literally the only person who enjoyed it? Leap of Faith.

and this doesn't totally fit because I actually think its a great show that was sorely underappreciated: Hands on a Hardbody

Alex Kulak2
#72Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/21/17 at 5:37pm

Jerry Springer the Opera. It's vulgar, outlandish and at times makes no sense, but I love it all the same.

TrulyOutrageousJem Profile Photo
TrulyOutrageousJem
#73Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/22/17 at 2:31pm

Xanadu, Legally, Blonde, Smile, and Mama Mia for sure. Had great fun at all of those shows.

My biggest guilty pleasure, tho, is Carrie. I liked the revival and enjoy the recording a great deal. But I LOVE the 1988 Broadway recordings. I know that's not a popular opinion but I get such a thrill from the Broadway orchestrations, Linzi Hately, and Betty Buckley in that show. And here's where it gets really bad ... I adore "Don't Waste the Moon!" 

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#74Favourite Guilty Pleasure Musical
Posted: 1/22/17 at 3:22pm

My guilty pleasure was SMASH, but strictly during the Shaiman/ Whitman numbers across the 2 seasons. The Pasik/ Paul numbers left me uniformly cold.

FINDING NEVERLAND made me surprisingly happy the first time I saw it. Visit Number Two (with 2 out of 3 leads played by understudies) showed the error of my ways: it seemed insufferable and amateurish in the cold light of day.

Updated On: 1/22/17 at 03:22 PM