pixeltracker

MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31- Page 2

MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31

¿Macavity?
#25MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/21/16 at 10:57pm

Wow! I find this a little funny... Sorry for those involved, I'm sure that the show will have a good life on the road, but it's still a lil' funny...

broadwayguy91
#26MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/21/16 at 10:57pm

#bye #goodriddance

Phillytheatreguy10 Profile Photo
Phillytheatreguy10
#27MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:10pm

^Accept Bring it On for what it was- the Golden Boy of Broadway was involved- Lin, of course, and they got a Tony nod for best musical and extended- grosses aside, it was a success and much of that cast still works. I'm not saying it was a great show, but it was a success. The sad thing about this is, it had a decent run the first time around, but will probably go down as a flop and be overshadowed by this run. It seemed like it was done to prove a point, i.e., we'll be back, we are no we're closing, but we came back! Rant over, sad to see those kids lose their jobs- side note, is The Nederlander becoming the latest flop house? 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#28MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:18pm

They really didn't do much advertising and their pricing was way too high. A ton of seats were Premium even though the rest of them were barely selling. I think word of mouth is now starting to catch on, but it's definitely too little too late. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#29MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:20pm

was Lin the golden boy at the time?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

aaaaaa15
#30MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:28pm

I think it's fair to say that at the time Lin was no more of a golden boy than the other composer of Bring It On Tom Kitt.

It's a shame Newsies didn't stay in the Nederlander for a while longer.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 12:05am

Still don't understand why they closed the original production. 

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#32MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 12:08am

So...what are everyone's predictions? Does the Nederlander stay empty until spring, get a limited holiday tenant, or does War Paint transfer sooner than spring? 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#33MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 12:19am

Good riddance, but wow!

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#34MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 12:25am

I had genuinely no idea this had even started performances, but wow. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#35MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 12:27am

I hope that War Paint doesn't transfer before the spring, mainly because I'm not confident that this is the best time of year to open a show. They will miss the summer rush and could open in a slower period (e.g. September/October), then will have make it past the winter till when I can see it haha (in the Spring). That said, with this particular cast and opening at a time where there isn't much competition, maybe it will be fine.

Grief has Dear Evan Hansen though - so I wonder if it would even be possible for it to open before the spring? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 7/22/16 at 12:27 AM

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#36MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 1:26am

qolbinau said: "I hope that War Paint doesn't transfer before the spring, mainly because I'm not confident that this is the best time of year to open a show. They will miss the summer rush and could open in a slower period (e.g. September/October), then will have make it past the winter till when I can see it haha (in the Spring). That said, with this particular cast and opening at a time where there isn't much competition, maybe it will be fine.

Grief has Dear Evan Hansen though - so I wonder if it would even be possible for it to open before the spring? 

"

You say not much competition in the fall, I think DEH and maybe Natasha... will be popular at least in the fall, therefore War Paint should transfer in the spring if they plan to come to broadway IMO. I agree with you though with Grief already with DEH opening WP in the fall may be too much

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#37MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 1:27am

War Paint takes the Nederlander in January.

@z5
#38MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 1:39am

I've been surprised this show hasn't been on TDF at all, especially with them not doing too well.

bk
#39MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 2:28am

Bring It On was a success?  I'm sure that would be surprising to the show's investors.

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#40MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 4:10am

I don't know anything about Bring It On, but the poster wasn't referring to a "financial success", but said it was in other ways (Tony nom, extended run ect.).

I'll predict another show will snatch up the Nederlander, maybe a play for a limited run. I think there are still a number of plays wanting to transfer without theaters and timelines. Perhaps something with a star like Photograph 51 with Nicole Kidman. That should do fine even over the fall, esp. if it's only a 12 week engagement or something.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#41MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 5:33am

qolbinau said: "I hope that War Paint doesn't transfer before the spring, mainly because I'm not confident that this is the best time of year to open a show. They will miss the summer rush and could open in a slower period (e.g. September/October), then will have make it past the winter till when I can see it haha (in the Spring). That said, with this particular cast and opening at a time where there isn't much competition, maybe it will be fine.

There are more shows still open that opened in the last fall (Hamilton, School of Rock, The Color Purple, Fiddle on the Roof) still open, thgan ones that  opened in the Summer (Waitress).

"

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#42MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 6:56am

WOW!! These tours really need to stop during limited return engagements on Broadway. This, HAIR, FELA all bombed in their returns.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

neonlightsxo
#43MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 9:00am

Kevin screwed up.

JIMG3
#44MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 9:57am

Updated On: 7/22/16 at 09:57 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#45MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 10:05am

Wow, totally embarrassing. This was always sort of a ridiculous gamble and a wild overestimation of demand.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

neonlightsxo
#46MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 10:06am

ESPECIALLY following the season we just had.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#47MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 10:24am

"Accept Bring it On for what it was- the Golden Boy of Broadway was involved- Lin, of course, and they got a Tony nod for best musical and extended- grosses aside, it was a success and much of that cast still works. I'm not saying it was a great show, but it was a success."

Bring It On was a commercial run, so it didn't "extend" at all. In fact, it closed after only 6 months, at a total loss of its investment. So calling it a "success" is just... weird. It didn't even get very good reviews - the Times called it "alternately snarky and sentimental ," a "featherweight concoction," adding that it "relies so blithely on the familiar formulas (and clichés) of fictional depictions of adolescence." They did like the cheerleading gymnastics, however.

Calling it a"success" is Trump-speak, where any kind of lie works if it's said with sufficient volume and vulgarity. Bring It On was, in truth, a major flop.

Updated On: 7/22/16 at 10:24 AM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#48MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 10:36am

newintown said: "Bring It On was a commercial run, so it didn't "extend" at all. In fact, it closed after only 6 months, at a total loss of its investment."

This is incorrect; the production was a limited run from August to October, and later extended until December. 

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#49MOTOWN Will Conclude Broadway Run Early on July 31
Posted: 7/22/16 at 10:40am

"This is incorrect; the production was a limited run from August to October, and later extended until December."

Ah - my mistake, you're mostly right. The extension, however, was through January 20, but the producers cut their losses early, and closed on December 20.

Anyway, it was still a major flop.