WAR PAINT on Broadway

brian1973
#25WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 5:43pm

I agree. She'd have to be pretty terrible in the role to NOT win it. Which won't happen. 

10086sunset
#26WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 6:09pm

brian1973 said: "I agree. She'd have to be pretty terrible in the role to NOT win it. Which won't happen. 

"

^ This...

She'll also get it for the amount of money she's generated...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#27WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 6:15pm

Shut up and take my money. 

I heard they were going to either cut Pink from the show or give it to Lupone because she is jealous. 

:p. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#28WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:02pm

You "heard" it? Great. More conjecture after discussing rumors for almost 4 months. I hope they don't cut Pink or the ending. The ending was a great release to an otherwise "is this even going anywhere" show.

I could use a different/softer accent for Patti. She was unintelligible to me for better part of the 1st Act.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

KnewItWhenIWasInFron
#29WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:20pm

broadwayboy223 said: "I'm so so thrilled. I loved this show in Chicago! Wonder if Donna decided not to do it. There was that rumor she going to do it on Broadway 

"

"Before we get to Broadway, let's make sure to get rid of the two-time Tony-winner who was spectacular in the show and replace with her a talented, lesser name who has indicated she's currently not up for Broadway. Wait? The talented, lesser name isn't available? Oh, OK. Maybe the talented two-time Tony-winner who created the role is an OK substitute."

Trying to figure out any part of this line of reasoning that makes sense.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#30WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:27pm

WAR PAINT on Broadway

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#31WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:42pm

IS Donna Murphy a "lesser name"? she also has two Tonys.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Theater_Nerd Profile Photo
Theater_Nerd
#32WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 8:37pm

10086sunset said: She'll also get it for the amount of money she's generated...

That's really insulting. Tony Awards are not doled out to performers for the amount of money they've generated.

You Can Disagree Without Being Disagreeable

broadwayboy223
#33WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 9:26pm

qolbinau said: "Shut up and take my money. 

I heard they were going to either cut Pink from the show or give it to Lupone because she is jealous. 

:p. 

"

Please tell me it's not true. Pink wouldn't work for Patti's character at all! It's one of the best songs in the show. And Patti has a good act 2 song with Forever Beautiful anyway.  I can't imagine this rumor is true 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#34WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 9:51pm

I'm pretty sure qolbinau was poking fun at the ridiculous rumors prior to this announcement, aka the Donna Murphy rumor.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#35WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:06pm

Valentina3 said: "You "heard" it? Great. More conjecture after discussing rumors for almost 4 months. I hope they don't cut Pink or the ending. The ending was a great release to an otherwise "is this even going anywhere" show.

I could use a different/softer accent for Patti. She was unintelligible to me for better part of the 1st Act.

"

I could see this being a "wicked" situation. When it was Kristen and Stephanie in the first reading/workshop the role of elphaba was quite different and Glinda was more of the out right lead, then idina came in and they bulked up the role and made her a lead role. So I'm guessing the Donna Murphy Elizabeth Arden was probably complimenting patti's Helena, then Christine was added and they probably wrote pink for her. So her Arden is contrasting parttis Helena. Now Patti is seeing Christine is getting a lot of acclaim, because of "pink" so now she might have a little bit of jealousy. I don't the producers would want a jealous lead, especially Patti lupone. But maybe I'm wrong and Patti is thrilled for Christine.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#36WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:22pm

Please don't add explanation to give legitimacy to what hopefully was a joke, Jorge. Patti is a professional. So is Christine. Let's trust that writers will know what's best for their show.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#37WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:36pm

Saw it in Chicago twice and really liked it. I was hoping a non-profit would pick it up. This will be a tough sell on Broadway. Even with these ladies, sales will drop after initial demand from fans and gays. Gypsy had trouble selling after the initial rush and Grey Gardens had trouble too. Both of those shows were critical smashes. I hope they make some impactful changes. This show won't be cheap to run. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

jayinchelsea Profile Photo
jayinchelsea
#38WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 10:53pm

A dull, third-rate show with a mediocre score, and two divas in search of a musical. And this is coming to Broadway? Lupone and Ebersole were great, but cannot sell enough tickets in an extended run unless this show is extensively rewritten, especially the songs. Hope I'm wrong, and that it turns out great, but my trip to Chicago to see this was a waste of time and money.

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#39WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/13/16 at 11:11pm

Between THE GREAT COMET, DEAR EVAN HANSEN, and now WAR PAINT, this is shaping up to be the most exciting season for new musicals we've had in a while.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#40WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 12:42am

Bettyboy72 said: "Even with these ladies, sales will drop after initial demand from fans and gays."

I've never laughed so hard at something so genuinely true.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#41WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 12:49am

Jorge, in whose mind could Glinda be the lead of Wicked? the title automatically disqualifies her.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#42WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 1:22am

I'm fairly certain he's mistaken. Elphaba was always the lead, and Glinda got bulked up to be somewhat of her equal when Kristin joined.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#43WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 1:27am

gleek4114 got it right.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#44WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 1:51am

okay glad i wasn't going insane for a moment

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#45WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 2:05am

It may have been wiser to do this at Lincoln Center as a limited run, but bravo to the producers for taking a chance.

JaglinSays
#46WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 2:46am

It was the highest-grossing show in the history of the Goodman Theater in Chicago. And the New York producers are incredibly deep-pocketed (Wicked)--and they obviously think it will sell.  Doing it at Lincoln Center would be really dumb.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#47WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 3:00am

I'm just not sure it has the commercial appeal but I'd love to be proven wrong. I love Patti. Whatever happens it will be an epic cast album.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#48WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 3:03am

I was obviously joking re: 'Pink'. I would bet Ebersole would quit sooner than letting someone pry it out of her unvaccinated hands. 

So stoked the show is coming! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

somechrysanthemumtea Profile Photo
somechrysanthemumtea
#49WAR PAINT on Broadway
Posted: 10/14/16 at 3:12am

I wonder how the show will try to maximize their Tony wins. Maybe one of the ladies will be petitioned into Supporting? I think it may have a chance at Best Musical if they have made changes (how substancial these are will have to be seen). Costumes for Catherine Zuber seems like a shoo-in. 

Mainly just excited for the (hopefully) inevitable cast recording. To hear Ebersole's Pink on recording is what I can't wait for!