pixeltracker

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical- Page 5

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#100THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 2:08pm

Hopefully Elton John’s attachment and the name recognition of the now-classic 2006 film brings interest from many big names.  Tilda Swinton as Miranda Priestly would be as iconic as Glenn Close as Norma Desmond in SUNSET BLVD.   

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#101THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 2:09pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I sort of imagined somebody a bit more "cool" and less overtly "passionate" than Lupone for Miranda (for lack of a better word). I think Baranski just excudes comedy too much to work as Miranda...at least the Miranda in my mind. Ebersole could work, but I need more bite and I don't know if her speaking and singing voice is the best fit...again for the Miranda in my mind."

I said Krakowski earlier in the thread but I can't believe it wasn't more obvious to from beginning.

Vanessa Williams is kind of an obvious choice, isn't she? I say cast Michael Urie as Nigel (Stanley Tucci role) and you know I'll watch the hell out of this show.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 7/2/18 at 02:09 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#102THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 2:16pm

Tilda Swinton would be fantastic and this would be a project nobody would expect her to ever do. I think that in of itself would be a reason to do it.

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#103THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 2:17pm

I would LOVE to see Ana Gasteyer in the role of Miranda!

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#104THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 2:47pm

I think this could be a perfect return for Toni Colette! She would slay as Miranda. I think Williams is a bit too on the nose since she's essentially played the character already on Ugly Betty. I love Baranski and would see anything she's in. I think Heather Headley would also be an inspired choice. 

Does Laura Linney sing? I'd be interested to see her take on the role. If this had happened 40 years ago Lauren Bacall would've been an incredible Miranda.

nasty_khakis
#105THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 3:02pm

Linney would be a superb choice, but I doubt she would even commit to a year's contract.

I don't know what the creative team is doing, but it would almost work better if Miranda was the only character who didn't sing.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#106THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 3:04pm

Shaina Taub is only 30 years old and yet she's working on an adaptation of THIS property with one of THE greatest rockstars of all time?

You're not supposed to have that kind of success at this age...Lol. What's her secret?!

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#107THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 3:13pm

She's fantastically talented?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#108THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 3:16pm

Of course, Kad! But I feel like "fantastic talent" isn't always enough, you know? There are probably many talented folks out there who never even come close to this sort of break. Could it be a matter of luck, too?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#109THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 3:29pm

Tilda Swinton has been outspoken about her dislike of theatre, and has repeatedly said she has no interest in doing theatre (which is such a shame).

Donna Murphy seems like the natural choice to play Miranda, though Krakowski would be brilliant as well. I hope they do a better job at finding a really spectacular actress to play Andy than the MEAN GIRLS team did with the casting of Cady. I’d love to see Ashley Park or Sarah Hyland (especially if rumors that MODERN FAMILY will end soon are true) in the role.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#110THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 3:39pm

I know this is sort of out there but ... Kristen Chenoweth? Yeah she'd be very different from Meryl Streep but I've known many tiny terrors like K. Cheno. Baby voice and all until they have to mic drop and the bitchiness comes pouring out. 

I also thought of Laura Linney after her superb performance as Regina in The Little Foxes. 

Tag Profile Photo
Tag
#111THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 3:53pm

Patti or Betty - or why even bother?

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#112THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:01pm

The more I think about it, the more I think Patti would be wrong for this role. Miranda Priestly is quick, cunning, and understated in her biting viciousness. Patti is larger than life. I think it is a poor match.

Christine Baranski is currently my top pick, but the diva dream-casting for this role which hasn’t even been written yet is thrilling. Heather Headley was also an inspired suggestion. 

Updated On: 7/2/18 at 04:01 PM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#113THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:04pm

And Denee Benton would be PERFECT as Andy. She has such a fresh, doe-eyed charm. Sort of like Anne Hathaway before Anne Hathaway became so annoying.

VintageSnarker
#114THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:06pm

I'm curious about what Shaina will bring. I can't think of anything she's written that makes me think "The Devil Wears Prada." Of course, there's nothing to say that she'll bring her style of songwriting instead of working with Elton's style or whatever pastiche style they might be using.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#115THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:12pm

The title + Elton John is probably enough to sell this show, as long as it's good... Depending on the vocal range/score, I would see them going with a musical theatre actress (i.e. Donna Murphy, Christine Ebersole, Audra, Heather Headley, Bebe Neuwirth, Rachel York, Lesli Margherita) or a "semi-star" (Vanessa Williams, Toni Collette, Ana Gasteyer) over someone like Glenn Close or Christine Baranski or Megan Mullally.

But, nobody even knows what the score sounds like yet!

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#116THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:16pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Tilda Swinton has been outspoken about her dislike of theatre, and has repeatedly said she has no interest in doing theatre (which is such a shame).

Donna Murphy seems like the natural choice to play Miranda, though Krakowski would be brilliant as well. I hope they do a better job at finding a really spectacular actress to play Andy than the MEAN GIRLS team did with the casting of Cady. I’d love to see Ashley Park or Sarah Hyland (especially if rumors that MODERN FAMILY will end soon are true) in the role.
"

You got me really curious about Swinton and her being outspoken about her dislike of theatre and you were not kidding.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-05-15/tilda-swinton-isn-t-interested-acting-all

Also, I think Sarah Hyland would be an inspired choice for Andy and way different from the Anne Hathaway type to make Andy interesting.

A0326T
#117THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:19pm

poisonivy2 said: "And Denee Benton would be PERFECT as Andy. She has such a fresh, doe-eyed charm. Sort of like Anne Hathaway before Anne Hathaway became so annoying."

Annoying in what way?

Owen22
#118THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:21pm

HenryTDobson said: "Excited for this, but would have much preferred a Pasek and Paul Devil Wears Prada..."

...oh gawd, no...

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#119THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:22pm

Would love to see denee Benton as Andy! My top picks for Miranda would be Carmen Cusack, Jane Krakowski, and Donna Murphy

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#120THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 4:30pm

A0326T said: "poisonivy2 said: "And Denee Benton would be PERFECT as Andy. She has such a fresh, doe-eyed charm. Sort of like Anne Hathaway before Anne Hathaway became so annoying."

Annoying in what way?
"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_b5xav1jls

Solipsist234
#121THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 5:15pm

poisonivy2 said: "A0326T said: "poisonivy2 said: "And Denee Benton would be PERFECT as Andy. She has such a fresh, doe-eyed charm. Sort of like Anne Hathaway before Anne Hathaway became so annoying."

Annoying in what way?
"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_b5xav1jls
"

...so she's annoying because she won an Oscar? I'm sorry, but have ANY of you seen Ocean's 8!?!? Chick's still got it, despite how "annoying" she is, apparently!

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#122THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 5:24pm

No she's annoying because of the gauche, affected way she whispered "it came true" when she won. That Oscar speech has to be one of the most annoying speeches of all time.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#123THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 5:31pm

For the record, it’s no longer cool to hate on the insanely talented, genuine Anne Hathaway.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/anne-hathaway-its-not-cool-to-hate-her-anymore.html

I’ve never understood why people could dislike her.

Updated On: 7/2/18 at 05:31 PM

Solipsist234
#124THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA: The Musical
Posted: 7/2/18 at 5:59pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "For the record, it’s no longer cool to hate on the insanely talented, genuine Anne Hathaway.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/anne-hathaway-its-not-cool-to-hate-her-anymore.html

I’ve never understood why people could dislike her.
"

Ikr!?!?!? She's a really good actress, AND she actually trained in musical theater before Princess Diaries ever came around. While The Devil Wears Prada certainly isn't her best performance (Streep and Blunt are just too fun to watch), she at least brought a lot to that character that I don't think a different actress could have done.

Les Miz aside (meaning whether you liked her performance in that or not), I have always enjoyed Anne Hathaway as an actress, and it's about time she came to Broadway!

Updated On: 7/2/18 at 05:59 PM