pixeltracker

How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?

How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#1How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 4:52am

I tend to lose interest in a show after the Original Broadway Cast leaves.  My best example is Hamilton.   I saw the show 3 times with the original cast. After the main cast members left, I haven't been able to bring myself to see it again. I just know I will sit there critiquing and comparing the actors to the OBC. More than likely most won't compare, at least in my mind. Although I do realize that oftentimes the replacement cast may be more talented. 

Do you tend to lose interest?

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 3/4/17 at 04:52 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#2How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 4:55am

No, I really enjoy seeing different interpretations.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VintageSnarker
#3How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 6:47am

If I have the choice, I like to see the entire original cast first so I can just get a sense of the original vision. But if I'm able to go back again, I'm happy to see another actor... in fact, that's probably the reason I'm going back. 

BakerWilliams Profile Photo
BakerWilliams
#4How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 6:53am

I'm theoretically all for the idea of going back again and witnessing a new interpretation, but too often the replacements are just trying to do an imitation of their previous counterparts and it comes across as stale. Usually it's more interesting when an actor gets replaced in between a regional/off-Broadway production and the Broadway one, as the actor is frequently hired to re-interpret the role.

"In memory, everything happens to music"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 7:20am

^ that can often be a directorial choice, however. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Rainah
#6How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 8:16am

Depends on the show. Some shows I haven't cared much, I'm more interested in the show itself. But I spent a good chunk of money to fly to NYC and see Hamilton with the OBC, and it was worth every penny to see the actors I've been idolizing doing the show I love.

elephantseye
#7How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 9:29am

To me, it's pretty important, but I also love in Texas. My only opportunities to see Broadway shows here are, 100% of the time, touring casts that don't always meet my expectations. So when I'm in NYC, I tend to see shows with the original cast, no matter what else is on that I would like to see, because chances are it'll come on tour near me in the next year or so. If I've flown across the country, I want to get an experience I can't get in Austin.

If I ever get the opportunity to live in NYC, I probably won't mind as much, because my window of opportunity will open, and I won't have to be so selective with such limited time.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#8How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 9:39am

It's nice to get to see a full original cast, but I certainly will not be turned off by seeing any replacement casting. I've even seen a few instances where the replacement has been just as good, if not better than the original cast member. 

Also, it's always nice to see how different people play a role or play off other cast members. No person plays a role exactly the same and I find that refreshing especially if it is a show you've seen more than once. 

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.
Updated On: 3/4/17 at 09:39 AM

wonkit
#9How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 9:59am

If the original cast includes Jeremy Piven, I prefer to wait...

mailhandler777
#10How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 10:02am

In the hundreds of shows I've seen I saw probably a handful of full original cast members. It doesn't matter to me. I see the show for the show.

Hi, I'm Val. Formerly DefyGravity777(I believe)

thebookofwhizzer Profile Photo
thebookofwhizzer
#11How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 10:11am

Most of the shows I've seen on Broadway (which isn't a lot) Have been replacement cast with the exception of the 2012 rival of Annie, (I'm pretty sure that was OBC) and 2016 Falsettos!! I think that all the shows I saw with replacement casts were amazing and Hamilton with the replacement cast was phenomenal I think that usually if the show has been on broadway for a long time (i.e Phantom) the casts gets worse and worse but first Broadway replacement casts are still wonderful and if you have the chance to see a show with a cast that might not be OBC still go see it!! 

“6 AM. The sky glows. Somewhere a bird chirps. I want to shoot it.” ~ Jonathan Larson, Tick...Tick..BOOM

itis2l84u Profile Photo
itis2l84u
#12How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 10:24am

Seeing the original cast is really not important to me at all. When I'm in New York I pick the shows I see based on how interested I am in them. I actually really love seeing multiple people play the same role and see how they interpret the role. I've seen two different Medium and Small Alisons as well as fourteen different Matildas. I love seeing what different people bring to my favorite shows.

The only exception to this is if Jessie Mueller is in the original cast then I'll go see that show if I can.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#13How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 10:27am

It depends on who was in the original cast, for me. Like if there is someone I really admire, I will want to see the show when they are in it. But, if it's a show I really want to see no matter what,  I don't care who I see as long as it keeps me entertained. I've actually had experiences where replacements were more exciting or I liked better than the original cast.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#14How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 10:35am

I tend to want to see shows only once, maybe twice of the replacement is exciting (CABARET) or if I loved the show (DROOD revival), so I prefer to see the original cast.

Plus, a lot of shows I see don't last beyond the OBC so it's either see them or miss it altogether.

My one exception to the multiples rule was HEDWIG (4x) because every actor brought something new and different to the role that made it feel fresh every time without fail (even Taye Diggs ??)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#15How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 11:14am

How can there possibly be a generic answer to this question?

As a corollary, why do people ask questions for which the only possible intelligent answer is "it depends"?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#16How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 11:56am

Sometimes I prefer the casts I see in Chicago than the casts that are either on Broadway or the OBC. 

Some examples have been: The Book of Mormon, Wicked and Hamilton

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#17How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 1:15pm

If I can see an OBC, I will, but generally it's not a make-or-break thing for me. It's nice but I won't go out of my way. 

Maybe because I didn't grow up anywhere near here and didn't even visit NYC until 10 years ago, so I don't associate an OBC with being a "must."

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#18How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 2:02pm

LizzieCurry said: "If I can see an OBC, I will, but generally it's not a make-or-break thing for me. It's nice but I won't go out of my way. 

Maybe because I didn't grow up anywhere near here and didn't even visit NYC until 10 years ago, so I don't associate an OBC with being a "must."

"

This is kind of my experience too. My first show was Mamma Mia back in 2007. It had already been playing for awhile.  I think I am seeing more original casts now than I have in the past because I am seeing things sooner.  But, I still have yet to see Hamilton, The Book of Mormon, or The Lion King because the tickets are out of my price range.  

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#19How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 4:39pm

First time posting. Found this forum just a few short months ago and have been lurking since. 

Even though I live a quick 6-1/2 hour car ride or a non-stop hop by airplane and a taxi ride away from Broadway, all the shows I've seen are the national tours, and all of them at the gorgeous Benedum Center for the Performing Arts in Pittsburgh - a two-hour drive one-way for me - and the closest city in which these tours pass through. 

Since November 2015 I've seen A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, Cabaret, The Bridges of Madison County, The Sound of Music, Something Rotten, and The Book of Mormon, with The King and I, Fun Home, and An American in Paris coming up between now and June. I've never seen a Broadway show in NYC, so I don't have anything to compare it to, especially with original cast.  

With that said, I've truly enjoyed ALL of the shows immensely, loved the touring cast, and look forward to whatever comes in the new season once announced. And it's not the same as a Playbill, but I've kept all of my programs and bought window cards for each of the shows.  

However, it now appears that chances are I'm moving back to NC this summer after living in WV for the past eleven years. A possible job transfer puts me back home, and a short drive away from Charlotte and Raleigh to continue my "addiction".  

For those of us who really don't have quick and easy access to Broadway, the national tours are a gift. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#20How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 5:04pm

6.5 hour is a quick ride?!

Also, I meant to say in my post -- I've been living in NYC for almost six years, which I think has also decreased my sense of urgency with the long-runners I've never seen, like Chicago. (I saw The Lion King on tour a dozen years ago and don't care to see it again, I haven't seen Phantom since Norm Lewis was at the end of his run, etc.) But also being here means there's less effort to see an OBC. Maybe it all balances out.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Sinfonian4life Profile Photo
Sinfonian4life
#21How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 5:30pm

We must be very close to each other. I live in Western Maryland! I go to Pittsburgh for most of my shows too. 

The travel to NYC is quick, but I don't know about the way home! That is what gets me!  I do like that I can choose if I want to drive the whole way or take meganus or bolt bus from Baltimore. 

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#22How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 5:37pm

My experiences are few.  It wasn't until I saw Stephanie Block in Wicked at the age of 43 or thereabouts, that I became a theater fan it wasn't something that occurred in my sphere. I had seen Rent on the road, Phantom, but that was it.  Nothing grabbed me like her performance that day.  So no in that case Stephanie Block should have been the original Elphaba.  However, I can't imagine let's say Pippin without the circus that was demonstrated when it was revived.  Patina Miller, the whole cast, I had no interest when it toured.  I thought Fun Home was poorly cast and I love that show, hope I live for a revival.

Stephanatic

South Florida
#23How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 5:38pm

Hogan you snob.

Stephanatic

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#24How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 5:41pm

I live in Clarksburg WV. The best thing (for me) about driving to Pittsburgh is that it gets me away from here (and my routine life) even if it's just for a day - to see a museum, treat myself to a nice lunch in Market Square, and see a show. Pittsburgh has a ton of stuff to offer, and a wonderful, quality Cultural District. I've seen fourteen other performances since Nov. 2015 at Heinz Hall, the Byham Theater, Cabaret at Theater Square, and the Benedum Center for the Performing Arts that weren't Broadway related. I've bought two shows at the O'Reilly Theater for between now and June. 

And the 'quick ride' comment was a little bit of tongue and cheek humor. :)

South Florida
#25How important is it to you to see a show with its original cast?
Posted: 3/4/17 at 5:47pm

"Move to Pittsburgh youins."

Stephanatic