What, No Bette?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#150What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/1/17 at 5:30pm

ljay889 said: "ken8631 said: "I saw the CJZ video, still not sure what the moment was...  Was it the last note?

Anyway, go Falsettos and SJB!!!

"

She had to perform the song outside of the context of the show and without her scene partner. It was awkward with odd head movements, etc and did not reflect her actual performance in the show. 

"

I agree that it was odd and Radio City Music Hall is a barn so her performance might have been eaten up by the space and her odd and constant head turns and wide eyeballs were bad directorial choices (or maybe she just decided to do that) that should have been reconsidered after rehearsal. 

We all know the song can definitely be done out-of-context and without the scene partner as it's probably one of the most performed/recorded songs ever:

I have no doubt CJZ could have pulled off something much better if different decisions were made for that performance. Shame that it didn't reflect her actual performance as it's probably a lot of people's only exposure to CJZ performing that song.

Updated On: 6/2/17 at 05:30 PM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#151What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/1/17 at 7:19pm

"it's probably a lot of people's only exposure to CJZ performing that song."

Talking about Catherine Zeta Jones, you've actually hit on the overriding rationale for Bette performing on the Tonys: the 2017 Tony performances will last on youtube for generations long after the show at the Shubert is just a faint memory. Isn't the performance recorded for the Tony telecast the only way most of us get to see those classic Bway performances of the past? Leave Bette out of this year's Tonys lineup and years from now folks will always wonder what the fuss was all about.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#152What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/2/17 at 12:01am

CZJ was in the midst of a particularly intense manic episode the night of the Tonys. It was one of the reasons she came out about her mental illness. It affected her performance and her behavior that night. 

Im not sure who or what is the real reason behind Bette not performing but it's creating a tremendous amount of ill feelings. For those mentioning it's all good vibes in the theatre-well of course it it. Those people are seeing the show. It's particularly mean spirited and greedy to have a show making money hand over fist and to not have her perform. Many of her fans are quite elderly and getting to see her on TV would be a real treat. Shame on them. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#153What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/2/17 at 12:07am

^ That reasoning behind her Tony performance certainly makes sense. 

Unfortunately, it's not a longer clip, but here's a much better reflection of CZJ's performance. She actually delivered quite a poignant rendition of the song, I saw her multiple times, and it was never anything like what was on the Tonys. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JseGA7GOm38

Updated On: 6/2/17 at 12:07 AM

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#154What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/3/17 at 4:41pm

I agree with Bettyboy.  It is the height of arrogance for the producer(s) to prevent Bette Midler from performing anything from "Hello Dolly".  Even a solo song would be better than nothing.  I'm even thinking that it is not merely Scott Rudin who is at fault.  This whole mess is such a letdown.  

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#155What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/4/17 at 2:06pm

Any further developments on this?  I am reading thru all the New York rags and I see nothing.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#156What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/4/17 at 6:57pm

DAME said: "Any further developments on this?  I am reading thru all the New York rags and I see nothing.

"Ms.Dame nothing new...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

millermil
#157What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/4/17 at 7:09pm

“It’s my decision,” Rudin tells me. He says both numbers are staged on and around a passerelle, or bridge, which at the Shubert is 3 feet deep and at Radio City, 25 feet deep.

“I told the Tony producers that unless they wanted to watch 12 dancers falling into the pit live on CBS, doing either number at Radio City was simply a nonstarter,” he says.

Rudin offered to sweeten the deal by having a Tony viewing party at the Shubert, where 1,400 people could see Midler perform either number and then catch the rest of the awards show on giant screens. He says he was going to make the viewing party a benefit for Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS.

The Tony people still turned him down, fearing other shows would want to do their numbers from their theaters. Rudin says he understands, but insists his chief responsibility is doing right by his show: “ ‘Dolly!’ and ‘Parade’ are beloved, iconic numbers from the Golden Age of Broadway musicals, and they mean a great deal to an enormous amount of people, myself included. Presenting weakened, watered-down, restaged-for-television versions of either of them holds no interest for any of us connected with the show.”

The last line of this pretty much sums it up! 

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#158What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/4/17 at 7:10pm

I am hoping for a surprise.  At this point I guess it doesn't look good.  But keeping fingers crossed.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#159What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/4/17 at 10:23pm

She couldn't make it to the Drama Desks either.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#160What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/4/17 at 10:25pm

DramaTeach said: "She couldn't make it to the Drama Desks either."

I'm sure someone will tell me she can do what she wants, but that was just annoying. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#161What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 1:59pm

So... are we still definitely getting "Penny In My Pocket"?

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#162What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 2:41pm

DramaTeach said: "She couldn't make it to the Drama Desks either.

"

"I also heard that from sources but after doing 7 shows and after the Sunday mat. exhaustion must have hit in and I doubt she wanted to wait around till 8:00 sitting at the DD's till her category was announced after 10 PM...smart move to just go home then...relax on your 2 days off as this is the start of TONY week!

Go Bette!!! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ren598
#163What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 3:15pm

I was at the Drama Desk Awards Sunday night.  I can understand her wanting to get extra rest.  It was just a little disappointing to not see her there to accept her award.  Especially when all the other acting winners in both plays and musical were on hand to accept their awards, even Kevin Kline.  A lot of people in the balcony got up and left after Bette's category, not even bothering to stick around for the final 4 awards.  It will be more disappointing if she doesn't perform on the Tony telecast.  She is the main draw and needs to perform even if it means doing it from the Shubert.

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#164What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 6:33pm

This revival is really bigger than any new show on Broadway this season.  "Hello, Dolly!", should open the Tonys, have a number in the middle of the show and also have the final closing number.  The reviews and response to this show has been more than overwhelming and Scott Rudin knows it.  For him to give the show the short shrift and minimalize its importance is more than ridiculous.

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#165What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 7:41pm

I'm still predicting (naively hoping?) for CALL ON DOLLY/I PUT MY HAND IN...out comes that horse drawn wagon, the newspaper is lowered and there she is! Bette, dazzlingly slaying Broadway! Please, Lord..... :)

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#166What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/6/17 at 8:11pm

TNick926 said: "I'm still predicting (naively hoping?) for CALL ON DOLLY/I PUT MY HAND IN...out comes that horse drawn wagon, the newspaper is lowered and there she is! Bette, dazzlingly slaying Broadway! Please, Lord..... :)"

That would fill me with such joy!

Every time this thread is bumped I get excited at the chance that someone in the know has posted that this is all over, and that they will be performing one of the show's highlights, either from the Shubert or Radio City. (Apologies if I just did that to you and got your hopes up.)

bwaydreamer
#167What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/12/17 at 5:30pm

Wow, that Bette performance you were all sure was gonna happen was truly amazing! 

kmac23 Profile Photo
kmac23
#168What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 11:46am

I was just really disappointed with Mr. Rudin's decision. I didn't even need to see Bette - I would have been happy with "Elegance"

I was sad for the amazing ensemble that didn't get the chance to shine on National television.

I was sad for the millions of people around the world   (like this nerdy kid right here who grew up in the middle of nowhere and LIVED for the Tony award performances)  who will never get the chance to see this show or even see a clip of it.

Ultimately, I'm sure there were financial reasons as to why they didn't perform. I think the "stage being too big" line is utter BS. Realistically - I think bc the cast is presumably already in rehearsals for Donna Murphy's premiere (tonight!) they probably didn't have the time/didn't want to fork out more $$ for additional rehearsals for the Tony's  -- when the show is already selling like hot cakes.

They don't need the press.

I still think the decision for them not to perform was a selfish one - and I will gladly blame Mr. Rudin for that.

Ah well. Moving on!

Updated On: 6/13/17 at 11:46 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#169What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 1:33pm

Bette's performance along with the entire cast (excluding Gavin Creel) survives in an excellent video made weeks after it began its run so it CAN be seen for those who make the effort.  It's not like her performance or the revival will solely survive via its mediocre cast recording.  Geez.  

kmac23 Profile Photo
kmac23
#170What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/13/17 at 2:33pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Bette's performance along with the entire cast (excluding Gavin Creel) survives in an excellent video made weeks after it began its run so it CAN be seen for those who make the effort.  It's not like her performance or the revival will solely survive via its mediocre cast recording.  Geez.  

"

Not the point - but thanks for coming out!

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#171What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:43pm

I think I am probably the only soul alive that loves the number "Penny in My Pocket" and found the Tony performance quite enjoyable!

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#172What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 5:45pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "Bette's performance along with the entire cast (excluding Gavin Creel) survives in an excellent video made weeks after it began its run so it CAN be seen for those who make the effort.  It's not like her performance or the revival will solely survive via its mediocre cast recording.  Geez.  

"

I have made quite the effort to find it and still haven't been able to! Searched all the normal sites.. any help? Haha

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#173What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 10:23pm

Mr. Nowack said: "I think I am probably the only soul alive that loves the number "Penny in My Pocket" and found the Tony performance quite enjoyable!

"

Maybe you can explain to me why Horace Vandergelder "gave five dollars to a blind man." This strikes me as entirely out of character for him; his head clerk doesn't make that much in a week (based on what he has saved).

What am I missing (seriously asking)?

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#174What, No Bette?
Posted: 6/16/17 at 11:29pm

Not five dollars.   It was a nickel.  

I had a penny in my pocket and not another suit
And with my only shirt tail, I shined a rich man's shoe
He threw me down a nickel while admiring my skill
I gave the nickel to a blind-man and then the blind-man left me all his meager savings in his will
I bought myself a wagon
For hauling blocks of ice...

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."
Updated On: 6/16/17 at 11:29 PM