#25Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:16am

1. The Great Comet - not my favorite song or show but the most entertaining

2. Come From Away - very well done!

3. War Paint - fantastic vocals

4. Bandstand - I was entertained!

5. Dear Evan Hansen - not the best I've seen from them, but still good

6. Miss Saigon - decent but the medley didn't really work

7. Falsettos - again, medleys just don't work all that well unless they are expertly done. This wasn't.

8. Groundhog Day - very disappointing. I wish they had chosen something else

9. Hello Dolly - what a wasted opportunity. I felt so bad that David Hyde Pierce had to do that.

colorsblend Profile Photo
colorsblend
#26Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:44am

1. The Great Comet

2. Bandstand

3. Dear Evan Hansen

4. Groundhog Day

5. War Paint

6. Hello, Dolly!

7. Falsettos

Missed CFA and Miss Saigon.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#27Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 1:54am

1. Great Comet

2. Bandstand

3. Dear Evan Hansen

4. Miss Saigon

The rest were all kind of a bland blur to me. :/

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

Scarlet Leigh Profile Photo
Scarlet Leigh
#28Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:00am

BroadwayConcierge said: "1. The Great Comet

2-9. Everything else
"

ALMOST this. One slight alteration....

1. Great Comet

2-8. The Rest

9. Hello Dolly

hork Profile Photo
hork
#29Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:20am

MsEmilia said: "1. The Great Comet of 1812 - Most entertaining, most involving and definitely the most actively intruiging  of the night, in terms of making somone want to see the show.

2. War Paint - Easily the best vocals on the broadcast, so thrilling.

3. Dear Evan Hansen - Ben wasn't in top form but it's still an excellent song.

4. Bandstand - I have to admit I've found the music i've heard from Bandstand dull, but this actually interested me; not the best but pretty good.

5. Miss Saigon - It makes no sense to only do what follows You Will Not Touch Him rather than showing the whole sequence so shooting Tam makes more sense. Eva sounded great but these were confusing choices, and i'm not a fan of I'd Give My Life For You.

6. Groundhog Day - I'm not a huge fan of this score but man did they pick the most boring song on it to do - I almost dozed off.

7. Come from Away - I really can't stand this show in general, but again, in terms of the songs, this is just bad and bland. Totally uninteresting.

8. Falsettos - Scattered, weird and bad, like the rest of the show.

9. Hello, Dolly - Some cut songs should stay cut. Poor David Hyde Pierce. 

I pretty much agree with this list and the comments (although I think I'd put Bandstand second). Fortunately for Come from Away I'm a Tony completist and will still be seeing it, but that number gave me serious second thoughts.

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 02:20 AM

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#30Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:37am

Great Comet - Perfect. Glad they found a way to catch the essence of the show!

Miss Saigon - Eva. Noblezada. The medley worked well enough, but she was fantastic.

Come From Away - Loved the energy! Wish they worked in Me And The Sky.

War Paint - The Gay Super Bowl. Two divas in top form. Should have been nominated for Best Musical.

Falsettos - If anything, for Stephanie and Brandon in those workout outfits. Good choice to represent the show, and hopefully sell tickets for the screenings.

Dear Evan Hansen - Ben was great, but wish they had the scenes and showcased RBJ.

Bandstand - Great chore and energy, so-so material.

Hello, Dolly - Still a terrible choice, but DHP had fun with it, and so did the audience.

Groundhog Day - Already not my favorite score, but they should have done If I Had My Time or something a little more fun.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

A Director
#31Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:55am

1. The Great Comet

2. Bandstand

3. Come From Away

Miss Saigon needs to go away and never come back.

The number from War Paint sucked.  Boring music and lyrics.

Here I Am Profile Photo
Here I Am
#32Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:59am

1. THE GREAT COMET - Riveting, beautiful, entertaining, energetic, engaging, everything a truly great Tony Awards performance should be. It captured the essence of the show and made viewers want to see it. It also made the show's many heartbreaking losses even more disappointing and upsetting.

2. MISS SAIGON - Two words. EVA. NOBLEZADA.

3. DEAR EVAN HANSEN - The incredible Ben Platt absolutely SLAYED both the acting and the singing of this incredible song. I just wish that it had featured more of the cast, especially Rachel Bay Jones.

4. FALSETTOS - I absolutely ADORED this production and this fun medley reminded me why the show was so damn good. However, the show is unbelievably heartbreaking, touching and important and this performance didn't show any of that.

5. COME FROM AWAY - A bit generic sounding, but decent for the most part. The choreography looks very lackluster, so I'm surprised that it was even nominated. I've always loved Jenn Colella, though.

6. BANDSTAND - Laura tripped and nobody else seemed to notice lol. I really appreciated that Andy's choreography looked different from the same schtick he has done over and over again for the past few years, but the song was just mediocre. However, the cast was energetic and having a great time. Laura and Corey sounded beautiful together as well!

7. WAR PAINT - Lots of overly dramatic staging. Christine was lovely as always, but I couldn't understand a damn word Patti was singing. 

8. GROUNDHOG DAY - They picked the most BORING song from the worst musical I've seen in years. The love that this musical gets from some people just baffles my mind.

9. HELLO, DOLLY! - Wow, they went through with it. They ACTUALLY went through with it! They took a beautiful revival and represented it like THIS??! Poor David Hyde Pierce. No... just... no.

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 02:59 AM

broadwaysfguy
#33Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 2:59am

the main reason the tony awards exists is to get more people to go see the shows. The performance numbers should be specifically chosen based on this goal. Most shows failed miserably tonight at achieving that great opp in front of six million folks plus millions more via social media. 

The three who did create a greater desire (for me) to see the shows and did the best job are

1) great comet-this just looks like a fun and entertaining night out

2) dear evan hansen-ben was incredible

3) bandstand-love the music from this period and laura osnes....count me in

bear88
#34Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 4:32am

broadwaysfguy, we're in agreement.

I watched the show with my wife and 17-year-old daughter, and we had seen Great Comet and Dear Evan Hansen in April. So for those shows, we were more curious how it would look on TV in a different setting.

Both of those musicals played to their strengths. DEH picked its most accessible song, and while Platt was a bit tentative at first, he picked up strength and did well. Great Comet went all out with the performance of the night. Viewers might be a bit confused about what the show is about, but they saw a whole lot of fun. 

The only other performance that made me want to see the show was Bandstand. We were all impressed with Eva Noblezada, but that wasn't enough to make me want to see a Miss Saigon revival. 

Come From Away may be a wonderful musical, but "Welcome to the Rock" doesn't do much for me, and my wife kept thinking parts of it were cribbed from "Pinball Wizard."

Nothing else stood out, except for Hello, Dolly in a bad way.

I did want to see the new plays, though. All of them. 

Messytheatregirl
#36Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 7:57am

1. The Great Comet

2. Dear Evan Hansen

3. Miss Saigon

4. Bandstand

5. Falsettos

6. Come From Away

7. Groundhog Day

8. War Paint

9. Hello, Dolly!

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#37Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:11am

Songs that told you the show is fun
Bandstand ~ "Nobody"
Great Comet ~ "Balaga" medley

Songs that told you the show is "serious
Come From Away ~ "Welcome to the Rock"
Dear Evan Hansen ~ "Waving Through a Window"
Miss Saigon ~ "I'd Give My Life for You"

Dull song choices to give the leads equal stage time
Falsettos ~ Medley (I'd have preferred Breaking Down)
War Paint ~ Face to Face (My favorite numbers in the score are Pink, Forever Beautiful and Back on Top)

Poor song choices that gave no sense of the tone of the show
Groundhog Day ~ Seeing You (The cast recording doesn't have many standouts IMO. Most of it is underscoring to Karl's physical comedy)
Hello Dolly ~ Penny in my Pocket (aka Scott Rudin trolling. His F.U. to CBS means that an acclaimed production will be forgotten in years to come. Rudin showed no interest in history and no respect for Creel or Baldwin.)

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#38Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:18am

1. Great Comet - High energy & undoubtedly will sell tickets. Kudos to them for not being afraid to put the effort and creativity into recreating the set for this stage and special night. (I'm looking at you Rudin & Co)

2. Come From Away - Perhaps not the number I would have chosen. I think it was a little safe/easy, but it was early in the ceremony and brought great early energy to the show. 

3. Bandstand - I haven't seen this but I think the number really showcased that great choreography and dancing. They looked great and the Biden intro was perfect. 

4. Falsettos - Can't wait to see this again in the movie theater. Again not the best song from the show but I love that they made sure to include not only all of the Tony nominees (unlike many other shows), but the entire cast. 

5. Miss Saigon - Eva sounded incredible and that was a nice big production number.

6. Dear Evan Hansen - Boring. I love that song and think Platt is wonderful but they have performed that so often. I feel sorry for the rest of the cast and nominees that they couldn't get any actual airtime. 

7. War Paint - Great vocals from those ladies but the song was dry.

8. Groundhog Day - Extra Boring. Andy sounded great but that performance didn't do anything to generate excitement. I haven't seen the show yet but I've heard "If I Had My Time Again" twice in the last week and it's stuck in my head. Would have been a better choice I think. 

9. Hello Dolly - DHP, bless his heart, but this choice was almost insulting to the audience. Song goes from being cut from the show originally to performed at the Tonys? Yikes. 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#39Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 8:55am

The Good

1. Great Comet - I actually have interest in this show now. 

2. Bandstand - see above

3. Miss Saigon - Love me some Eva. 

4. Falsettos - Loved seeing everyone perform, great publicity for the theatrical release. 

5. Come From Away - I would have preferred Me and The Sky but ...

6. Dear Evan Hansen - Not Ben's best performance but still amazing. 

The Bad

7. War Paint - Love these ladies, but yeesh, did anyone understand a word Patti sang? Both ladies sang it wonderfully though. 

The Ugly

8. Groundhog Day - Did absolutely nothing for me. 

9. Hello, Dolly - Need I explain?

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 08:55 AM

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#40Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 9:59am

Here's mine based on how well I thought the song choice represented the show or made we want to see it:

1. The Great Comet

2. Dear Evan Hansen

3. Bandstand

4. Miss Saigon

5. Falsettos

6. Come From Away

7. War Paint

8. Groundhog Day

9. Hello, Dolly!

I think GHD missed the mark big time to market itself especially now that it did not have any Tony wins.

deltatee Profile Photo
deltatee
#41Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:03am

1. The Great Comet - They did a stellar job translating the production to Radio City.  I wish it would have received more recognition.

2. Come From Away

3. Miss Saigon - Eva was incredible. 

4. War Paint

5. Bandstand

6. Falsettos

7, Dear Evan Hansen - Maybe I am just bored with that song.

8. Groundhog Day - I love the show, but who chooses their performance numbers? Granted, this was better than Philandering on the Today Show, but I would have done a medley.

9. Hello Dolly

LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#42Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:07am

I honestly thought, overall, the performances were better than last year. And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd sooner have Harvey Weinstein back at the Tony's than Scott Rudin.

1. Dear Evan Hansen

2. Falsettos

3. The Great Comet

4. War Paint

5. Bandstand

6. Come From Away

7. Miss Saigon

8. Groundhog Day

9. Hello, Dolly!

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

kellyhallo
#43Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:10am

1. Falsettos - God I miss this show.

2. The Great Comet - My least favorite out of all the shows nominated for best musical but they gave a great performance.

3. Come From Away - I have seen this show a few times and don't think it translates well on to the screen. It is so energetic and powerful in person.

4. Dear Evan Hansen - I love Ben Platt but didn't feel like he got into character until the end of the performance.

5. Bandstand 

6. War Paint

7. Groundhog Day - I love this show but this song choice, while very moving in the context of the show, did not work as a stand alone.

8. Miss Saigon

9. Hello Dolly - If I didn't know better, this performance would have totally turned me off from seeing this show.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#44Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:18am

1. War Paint. LOVED this. They sounded great and it was the only performance the entire night that we rewound at the Tony Party I went to so we could watch it again. 

2. Bandstand. A shocker as I thought it was perfectly mediocre in the theater, but they showcased it very, very well. All the dancing, the costumes, the music- this is what my parents stereotypically think Broadway is, and in fact when I called them this morning to hear their thoughts this was the show they most wanted to see!

3. Come From Away- Song was energetic and catchy. Gave a good indication of what you'd be getting with the show.

4. Great Comet- Surprised to see this as number one on so many people's lists. I love the show, but this felt a little chaotic to me. It didn't show off the wit of the show at all. When you have such a fool proof opening number I just couldn't understand why they didn't perform it. "And Andrey isn't here" is the most hummable phrase in the entire show! This was a missed opportunity to really show off the genius of Dave Malloy. 

5. Miss Saigon- The beginning was bland. I got so excited when I saw Kim and Thuy out there thinking we'd get to hear the whole confrontation. It got better when Eva started to sing.

6. Dear Evan Hansen- I thought Platt sounded very rough. Pitch problems all over the place. It almost sounded like they had lowered the key. Could anyone with a better ear confirm that? He tired to cover his vocal shortcomings the best he was able, but it's clear why he's been on vocal rest for the past week...

7. Falsettos- My dear show. I love the song and the performances were good, but it was a true WTF moment on the telecast. This was the eunuchs singing falsetto and dancing around with Chita on The Visit's telecast performance. Completely baffling to anyone who doesn't know the show inside out. I would have rather seen a Jason Therapy sequence or I'm Breaking Down. 

8. Groundhog Day- What were they thinking??? It's hard to believe this can't be labeled the worst song choice of the night given what Dolly pulled, but in a way this was worse because Groundhog Day needs the ticket sales much more than Dolly does. If I Had My Time Again, I'd pick a better song. 

9. Hello, Dolly!- Yikes. This was embarrassing. I felt for DHP having to sell that song. Still, I find it very funny that some people on this thread and others think the Dolly revival will be forgotten. Hardly! It is glorious, musical theater heaven and quite frankly the event of the season. I think this revival will be loved and cherished for many years to come, despite the bad Tony performance. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#45Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:21am

1. Great Comet - I want to see this show so badly - and now I want to see it even more. Fantastic performance.

2. Miss Saigon - yes, it was a weird opening, but the star of that performance was Eva N. She was fantastic.

3. Falsettos - not sure why people keep saying it was a medley - it was one song, and I thought it came off well here.

4. DEH - I have SERIOUS problems with the book of this show, but the score is solid (not as good as Comet, IMO). Solid performance.

5. Come From Away - I want to see this one, too, though the performance didn't do much to make me want to see it. Should have done Me and the Sky.

6. Bandstand - Made me interested in at least hearing the rest of the score.

7. War Paint - two great performers, a decent song

8. Groundhog Day - I really enjoyed the show, but why the heck did they choose that song???

9. Hello Dolly - Seriously, they win four Tonys, including best revival, best supporting actor and best lead actress - and this is what they do? Nothing against David Hyde Pearce, he was fine, but seriously, this was the WORST performance of a show I can recall seeing in more than thirty years of watching of the Tonys. 

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#46Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:23am

DEH

Miss Saigon

Comet

Groundhog Day

Bandstand

Falsettos

War Paint

CFA

Hello Dolly

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#47Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:40am

WhizzerMarvin wrote: Still, I find it very funny that some people on this thread and others think the Dolly revival will be forgotten. Hardly!... I think this revival will be loved and cherished for many years to come.

I didn't see Pearl Bailey's Dolly but she left behind a fantastic cast album and two phenomenal televised performances. (Parade on Ed Sullivan and So Long Dearie at the Tonys). Bette leaves behind a lackluster cast album. Only the comparatively few who saw her in the theater will have a memory to cherish.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 6/12/17 at 10:40 AM

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#48Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 10:58am

For what it is worth, you have to give David Hyde Pearce props for having the balls to get out there and giving it his all.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#49Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:11am

1. The Great Comet

2. Bandstand 

3. Miss Saigon

4. Dear Evan Hansen

5. Come From Away

6. Groundhog Day (I love Seeing You!)

7. Falsettos

8. War Paint

9. Hello, Dolly!

Updated On: 6/12/17 at 11:11 AM

10086Sundays
#50Rank the Tony performances
Posted: 6/12/17 at 11:14am

None of GhD's songs sell the show well. If they could have managed to find a way to quickly do the beginnings of each day, I think that might have sold tickets and showcased Andy. Logistically and financially it wouldn't work, sadly.