pixeltracker

OFFICIAL - Bernadette To Replace Bette!- Page 6

OFFICIAL - Bernadette To Replace Bette!

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#125Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 6:13pm

Bernadette would be great - time will tell.  When Bernadette came into "A Little Night Music," tickets were still available at TKTS during her run, and there were discount codes.  She's not a mammoth super name like Bette - but, who is?

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 06:13 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#126Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 6:39pm

ray-andallthatjazz86 said: "Wow Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin would be such an event. Any word on whether Murphy would continue on? Based on interviews and having seen her performance twice it seems like she is having the time of her life and like this is the perfect gig for her at this point. I'd love to see her continue with the show in the same capacity.

I can't imagine Bernadette would want or need an alternate. 

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#127Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 6:50pm

nealb1 said: "Bernadette would be great - time will tell.  When Bernadette came into "A Little Night Music," tickets were still available at TKTS during her run, and there were discount codes.  She's not a mammoth super name like Bette - but, who is?

"

Bette's only a mammoth in this particular show though... I managed to get very cheap tickets to her MSG show.

nasty_khakis
#128Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 7:24pm

Discussing who is a "name" or not is always very interesting. There are very few stars who can sell out everything, very very few and I often think there's a good mix of star+particular role/show. People bought Nathan Lane in Addams but not Butley or The Nance. You stick Lisa Rinna in Chicago and she'll boost sales for 6 weeks, but she'd not sell our if say, she was in The Price. Jake Gyllenhaal turned a very fast profit in Sunday but Constellations didn't sell out as fast or for as high a price. 

A Little Night Music is one of my favorite shows, but it's hardly going to be a tourist/bridge and tunnell (who keep shows running) smash and it's an "intellectual Sondheim show." I'm willing to bet Bernadette as Dolly will sell more tickets than she did in Night Music. 

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#129Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 7:31pm

A Bernadette Peters and Mandy Patinkin reunion would be just lovely, and they'd both do pretty good jobs with the roles.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#130Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 7:38pm

nasty_khakis said: "Discussing who is a "name" or not is always very interesting. There are very few stars who can sell out everything, very very few and I often think there's a good mix of star+particular role/show. People bought Nathan Lane in Addams but not Butley or The Nance. You stick Lisa Rinna in Chicago and she'll boost sales for 6 weeks, but she'd not sell our if say, she was in The Price. Jake Gyllenhaal turned a very fast profit in Sunday but Constellations didn't sell out as fast or for as high a price. 

A Little Night Music is one of my favorite shows, but it's hardly going to be a tourist/bridge and tunnell (who keep shows running) smash and it's an "intellectual Sondheim show." I'm willing to bet Bernadette as Dolly will sell more tickets than she did in Night Music. 

"

Thank you! You sum up what I've been thinking. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#131Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 8:06pm

I see Peters doing well. Probably not commanding the top ticket prices Bette's getting now, but she could pull in $1 million/week.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#132Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 8:16pm

I agree with nasty_khakis and ljay. We can't really look at Peters' name alone. It's Bernadette Peters starring as Dolly in a production that earned raves, won the Tony for Best Revival and Featured Actor, and is the talk of the town. Add Mandy Patinkin, Kelsey Grammer, David Hyde Pierce, or a similar star, and I could see the show continuing to earn a profit. Scott Rudin is no fool, he's a seasoned Broadway producer, who is undoubtedly aware he'll need to advertise the hell out of the show to get through the harsh winter months. Also, comparisons to Donna Murphy's shows are moot since Murphy is not being advertised the way a full-time lead would be (though inviting critics to review her performance was a total class act from Rudin and Midler). I imagine Peters would be heavily publicized. Bernadette Peters in HELLO DOLLY is a much easier sell than Bernadette Peters in any Sondheim show.

It'd be interesting to see if the show continues to use an alternate. Midler may have set a precedent that helps attracts big names beyond Broadway veterans like Peters. If Rudin replaces Midler, it means he sees potential for this production to continue running; that means he will want to recruit a wide range of stars in the future, keeping the current model might help him do that. Hopefully once Midler's replacement is announced, we'll get word. Murphy herself may have only  agreed to be an alternate for a star of Midler's caliber and for a brief run.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#133Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 8:26pm

Does anyone know when this will most likely be announced?

Public User Profile Photo
Public User
#134Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 8:33pm

Her lovely but limited singing voice should do just fine in this non-demanding role, unlike Gypsy.  

VintageSnarker
#135Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 8:43pm

South Fl Marc said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Personally, I think Michael Crawford would be a great selling point. "

Yes, they could say "Come see him ruin the stage show as badly as he did the movie"

Lol. Thank you for saying it. 

I would see Martin Short. I'm not sure if I'd be more excited to see Bernadette than I am to see Donna. 

PatrickDC Profile Photo
PatrickDC
#136Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 9:06pm

I'd still like to see Andrew K-B as Barnaby, or to go younger, Ben Cook. 

nasty_khakis
#137Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 9:11pm

I keep hearing Peters is a "short" replacement for a few months and he's trying to woo Middler to return for a few months while still trying to book a Reba/Patti Labelle/Dolly Parton "event Dolly."

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#138Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 9:30pm

Love Ms. Peters but it's not exciting.

Ran back to see her in A Little Night Music and it was OK. Better than Jones but neither one was near Glynis Johns. Bernadette Peters, as others have said here, won't sell tickets which is what Mr. Rudin wants to do. 

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 09:30 PM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#139Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:28pm

But is there ANYONE that will be able to sell tickets the way Bette has been able to? What "names" can any of us come up with whose name alive will match Bette?

My only stipulations are appropriate age 40-60 (ish) that we know can sing. No need whether she is a Dolly type. No need wether or not we think she'd be interested. Or even that we'd actually want to see her...just box office draw and ability to sing. 

I'll start: 

Barbra Streisand would sell lots of tix. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

And Peggy Profile Photo
And Peggy
#140Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:34pm

Was her split from Steve Martin amicable? Have they worked/appeared together in the years since they broke up? I know he's bringing in a play this fall so it's probably not feasible, but that would be some EVENT casting.

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 10:34 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#141Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:37pm

I'd love to see a reunion of Peters/Mandy, Peters/Short or Peters/Martin (the latter might really sell some tickets?). 

A Peters/Preston reunion in another Jerry Herman musical would also have been pretty novel. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#142Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:45pm

Well Patti Lupone probably is big enough of a name even among casual Broadway fans to sell tickets and she could certainly sing the music. 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#143Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:04pm

poisonivy2 said: "Well Patti Lupone probably is big enough of a name even among casual Broadway fans to sell tickets and she could certainly sing the music. 

I don't think Patti would enjoy being a replacement to the woman she ran against for a Tony. Not saying she wouldn't bring something different to the role, but there really isn't a way she would do it.

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#144Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:26pm

If she were in better health, Liza Minnelli. She's the same age as Bette and she would sing it thrillingly. (Unfortunately, I think her ability to carry a stage musical is 25 years behind her.)

Queen Latifah is one of the few names who could both sell tickets and be exceptional in the role. Maybe Reba, if we're willing to forget that Dolly is from NYC. Actresses like Christine Baranski or Emma Thompson could be wonderful, but on the heels of Bette Midler I'm not sure that they'd be an event beyond the New York theatergoer.

Updated On: 8/24/17 at 11:26 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#145Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:37pm

What about Beyoncé 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#146Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:41pm

Don't know if she could sing the score (she may need a lot of practice) but I think Madonna would sell tickets like Bette can. She will bring in a very big audience, appealing to the same ticket buyers as Midler - something I don't think Peters can. 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#147Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:42pm

Ok, but Bernadette Peters is the person they're going with so.............

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#148Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:47pm

For after peters, though

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

NYfanfromCA Profile Photo
NYfanfromCA
#149Bernadette To Replace Bette?
Posted: 8/24/17 at 11:48pm

I saw Bernadette in "Goodbye Girl" with Martin Short and loved her!  I would buy a ticket to see her in this (I saw Bette in May).  I hope they announce soon so I can grab a seat!