pixeltracker

MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson

MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#1MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:34am

Per their website. Preview begin March 12th.

http://meangirlsonbroadway.com

Very exciting that it's finally official! Love the artwork.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards
Updated On: 9/6/17 at 09:34 AM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:43am

Previews begin March 12 ahead of an April 8 opening. 

So EXCITED!!!

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#3MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:54am

I love the artwork, and the August Wilson is pretty perfect for this. Excited to see what's to come!

greenifyme2
#4MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:58am

I love that tickets go on sale October 3rd, LOL

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 9:58am

another garbage show to a crappy, theme park filled season.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#6MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 10:02am

ACL2006 said: "another garbage show to a crappy, themepark filled season."

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but what are you basing this off of? Have you heard any of the score? Have you read the libretto? Have you seen some of the staging?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#7MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 10:14am

I'm interested to see how Fey's husband, a 56 year old composer who has never written a full theatrical score (although I imagine several of his SNL and 30 Rock songs pointed in that direction) will do, paired with Nell Benjamin, a somewhat prolific 45 year old with one modest theatrical success (albeit one that I personally found amateurish).

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#8MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 10:29am

Can't wait to see this in Nov! I think the art is too much like a movie poster.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#9MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 11:09am

ACL2006 said: "another garbage show to a crappy, themepark filled season."

Considering this show has been in the works for what seems like ages, I'd cut it some slack. Also unlike SpongebobMargaritaville, and to a lesser extent Frozen (many of the films reviews called out the eagerness to see it on stage so I will cut it some slack), the show is not a pure cash grab at least in my opinion. Many have been hoping for Mean Girls to be adapted to the stage as an edgier High School Musical due to its revitalizing the musical genre for the Millennial Generation between 2006-2008. Add to that the fact that the rumors only got louder when Heathers opened off Broadway...3.5 years ago.... Do I know if the show is any good? No, but I will defend it from being lumped in with the likes of Spongebob and Margaritaville. 

willrolandsframes
#10MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:24pm

This theatre choice is very interesting. This now means that if Angels is going to transfer, then Kinky Boots will be closing.

Also, could this mean Dreamgirls is going to the Neil Simon after all? Is a play headed into the Hudson after The Parisian Woman?

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#11MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:28pm

What sort of score / style / point of view will this show need to set it apart from the Heathers musical? Heathers lost money but inspired a passionate fan base. Mean Girls feels like the same story without the murders... though that would make it easier for high schools to produce down the line.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#12MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:31pm

Couldn't Angels possibly go into the Walter Kerr when Springsteen is finished?

The Hudson just seems too small for a musical on the scale of Dreamgirls to be financially viable. I would bet on the Simon.

I'm not a fan of the August Wilson, so I'm glad I'm seeing Mean Girls in DC.

Just remembering you've had an "and" When you're back to "or" Makes the "or" mean more than it did before
Updated On: 9/6/17 at 12:31 PM

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#13MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 12:38pm

MrsSallyAdams said: "What sort of score / style / point of view will this show need to set it apart from the Heathersmusical? Heatherslost money but inspired a passionate fan base.Mean Girlsfeels like the same story without the murders... though that would make it easier for high schools to produce down the line."

Heathers manages to combine both the 80's sound with a contemporary pop musical theater sound. It has an excellent score imo, but Mean Girls doesn't need to set itself apart from Heathers because they're pretty different as is. One thing is that they're both in different time periods. Heathers is obviously in the late 80's, however judging by the artwork, Mean Girls is set in the present. I'm guessing the show will sound similar to Legally Blonde/Kinky Boots/Dear Evan Hansen/Next to Normal (in terms of style, not content)  and be distinctive to the more retro flavor of Heathers. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#14MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:21pm

It is interesting you have 2 older white men writing a show for younger audiences? I just hope they can capture that modern day pop sound that is so in right now. I think Heathers is one of the best musical theater scores in the past 5 years. I just wish it had a production to match it. I LOVE the music. 

lemiz3001
#15MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:40pm

Angels is being co-produced by Jordan's Roth/Jujamcyn but  as has been reported here it's not going into a Jujamcyn house. 

Dreamgirls has ruled the Hudson out and ATG wants plays going in. They will most likely be taking the Al Hirschfeld. 

BWWMatt Profile Photo
BWWMatt
#16MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:40pm

RippedMan said: "It is interesting you have 2 older white men writing a show for younger audiences? I just hope they can capture that modern day pop sound that is so in right now. I think Heathers is one of the best musical theater scores in the past 5 years. I just wish it had a production to match it. I LOVE the music."

Just to clarify, Nell Benjamin is a woman, and the man on the creative team is the husband of the book writer (who also wrote the movie). 

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#17MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:53pm

I was kinda hoping the artwork would go the more obvious route and incorporate the burn book, but either than that I'm stoked!

Margo319
#18MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 1:53pm

I guess it this will sell because of the movie.  Enough to fill that theater every night?  Highly doubtful.  

amysea
#19MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:09pm

The website mentions an Amex presale on Sep 10 and an Audience Rewards presale on Sep 25...but I can't track down any info for either of these.

Can someone help a biotch out, please?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#20MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:12pm

Margo319 said: "I guess it this will sell because of the movie. Enough to fill that theater every night? Highly doubtful.

I wouldnt underestimate the film’s popularity. This will surely be a lot of people’s first musical by title alone.  Similar to most contemporary shows, it’s main purpose is to be a fun evening of theater that has an underlying story beneath it. While I favor  the “more traditional” and thought-provoking dramatic musical (can’t wait for Buñuel, which may surely have that) I can appreciate  certain contemporary shows so long as they are well-crafted and not just something thrown up on stage for $$. Mean Girls could very well be the latter, but the team is credible enough for me to give it a chance or two, unlike other shows. 

Updated On: 9/6/17 at 02:12 PM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#21MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:22pm

Margo319 said: "I guess it this will sell because of the movie. Enough to fill that theater every night? Highly doubtful."

The people who love and grew up with the movie are the ones who are really going to buy tickets. They are at an age where they have a disposable income. The movie is legendary among 20-somethings these days. Timing wise, it couldn't be better. But I agree that unless it's good, it won't very last long. It may only run as long as Groundhog Day -- a beloved movie whose reputation probably hurt it in the long run.

I'm thinking it will probably be pretty poppy, and maybe similar to Legally Blonde in sound -- but honestly, it could be anything. I'm just thinking of all the little snippets of songs in 30 Rock that he wrote that were amazingly funny. If the music's not good, hopefully it'll at least be funny.

Some 30 Rock musical moment snippets (mostly featuring Jane Krakowski)

Mystic Pizza - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSMDEdWsM74

Werewolf Bar Mitzvah - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6V2oCX3Hn4

Muffin Top - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpM1YTfzFeM

Balls - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tTV0cBGbaM

"Oh, Noble Sheep" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nioBvJxGU9M

Kelsey Grammer - https://vimeo.com/127164319

Updated On: 9/6/17 at 02:22 PM

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#22MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 2:28pm

Werewolf Bar Mitzvah - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6V2oCX3Hn4

This song gets stuck in my head to this day. I wasn't really interested in the show because I didn't like the movie even though I love Tina Fey, but if it's got good music I will have to reconsider seeing it. 

ms_joaquin
LYLS3637 Profile Photo
LYLS3637
#24MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 3:44pm

Richmond also does the music for UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT, which I'd argue is as good if not better than 30 ROCK. Not only is the theme song one of the best to come along in decades, the songs he wrote for the musical film flop DADDY'S BOY had me literally in tears from laughing so hard. I'm beyond pumped.

Daddy's Boy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKfoc6E4_5Q

More Daddy's Boy- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owfx_V3Bxkw

"I shall stay until the wind changes."

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#25MEAN GIRLS to take the August Wilson
Posted: 9/6/17 at 3:52pm

LYLS3637 said: "Daddy's Boy-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKfoc6E4_5Q"

With a nice cameo from Jefferson Mays! Didn't notice him the first time.

Videos