pixeltracker

How were you introduced to broadway?

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#1How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 9:46am

I will start first. I was introduced to broadway on accident. While watching youtube i accidently clicked a rehersal video of Tuck Everlasting and i have been obssesed with Broadway! How were you introduced?

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

BwayLB
#2How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 9:56am

12 years ago I was seeing the Disney movie Valiant at a movie theatre down the street. During the preshow entertainment, a trailer promoting the national tour of Wicked played. At that time, I had already seen MTI Jr versions of Annie and Guys and Dolls at Anne Bancroft Middle School in Lakewood.

AllThatJazz2
#3How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 10:46am

Our parents took me and my younger siblings to a special performance of Cats for a Broadway AIDs benefit. Children were allowed to go up on stage with the performers afterwards and there were apparently signed posters, photos, etc. with a donation. I was 7 at the time, and my younger brother was about 2, so I don't have many memories of the show itself, just the actors in costume. 

The first real sustained Broadway memories I have are when I was taken to see Phantom of the Opera for my 10th birthday with my parents - it was a real "grown up" present and just the three of us in the city, dressed up. Right after that the Les Miserables Dream Cast concert aired on PBS. Those two shows are definitely the foundation of my love for theater.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#4How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:19am

I saw the 2004 film version of Phantom of the Opera and thought, "This is beautiful, but these people can't sing."

Soon after, I saw the Broadway production while visiting New York and that did it.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

irishgator1
#5How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:38am

My family  is from NYC, although I myself have never lived there.  My parents took us to Cats when we were really little, but then we moved overseas to a country that definitely didn't have a similar theater scene.  When I was in college, I spent a semester in London and had a good friend who was a theater major- we went to a lot of West End shows on the cheap then! After college, I actually moved back to England and enjoyed a decent amount of shows. It wasn't only until recently (say, the last several years) that I've had the time/money/available babysitters to get more into Broadway.  Now, I'm enjoying taking my 7 and 9 year olds to shows- over the past season, they've seen Comet, School of Rock, Anastasia, Frozen in Denver, and The Secret Garden here in DC, and they've seen other local productions.  I'm really excited to introduce my kids to the theater world!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#6How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:40am

I grew up in a culturally diverse and creative family with parents seeing shows on Broadway throughout the mid/late 60s.  As a toddler, I was brought up seeing live performances (RINGLING BROS CIRCUS, DISNEY ON PARADE, HOLIDAY ON ICE - all early 70s live events), but the very first show I ever saw on Broadway was the original 1972 Broadway production of PIPPIN at the Imperial Theatre.  That night I discovered the magic of the Broadway musical as well as starting my obsession with Bob Fosse.  I was 7 years old.  Also, that year was also his year so he was EVERYWHERE: the film adaptation of CABARET was released and the NBC TV Special LIZA WITH A Z aired.  Many attribute this over-saturation of him that year to my still-going obsession with him.  

Though I lived in Miami, Florida, I started spending ALL of my summer vacations in NYC.  Lucky I had an aunt, uncle and cousins living in the city so I stayed with them.  I have since lost count how many original Broadway productions I've seen from 1972 on, and countless times (yes, I use to Second Act countless shows, too - 1970s kids were quite savvy).  Me and my cousins also use to walk around the theatre district during the day and actually walk into open stage doors and be shown around the backstage of countless Broadway shows.  Times were different then and stage door managers were super cool.  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#7How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:46am

My parents had a great cast recording collection that they shared with us.  I'm the only one that "took" to it.  The only ones I remember they had were: The Rothchilds and Two by Two.   I also remember it being such an "event" the few times they were able to afford to go to the city.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#8How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:46am

I was always a "ham" as a kid, and loved performing onstage in school skits and the like. I also sang in the choir (although the director hated me). But the first Broadway show that I clearly remember was my 8th grade class trip: WICKED. And after that, my interest spiraled out of control as I explored more shows in the great web of musical theatre.

I always like to refer to WICKED as my "gateway drug." It's not the strongest, and you usually don't limit yourself to just that, but you always remember it as the show that kicked off your addiction.

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#9How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 12:42pm

^Not me.   I was hooked as an actor, long before I ever saw a broadway show.  I started performing at age 8, didn't see my first professional show until I was 16.   And I hated it.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Alex Kulak2
#10How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 12:43pm

When I was in high school, we took a trip to New York and saw Wicked. As I walked out of the Gershwin, I said to myself that I would be a performer or I would die trying.

rodrigo_ca
#11How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 1:00pm

I never gave Disney movies much attention as a child, but then I started to appreciate them for all the hard work put into them. It was an easy step to start adoring all things Menken and get to know Broadway's version of Beauty and the Beast. I started listening to the cast album, the recording of the Brazilian production, got to know how a Broadway show get to Broadway when they were doing The Little Mermaid.

In 2009, Beauty and the Beast came back to Brazil and I got, by a leap of chance, to see it. Even though I saw it only once and on the very last row of the balcony, I think it changed my life. I never stopped going since then. I'm now finally able to plan and afford a trip to the city where it happens.

mozgrrl Profile Photo
mozgrrl
#12How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 1:13pm

I was a competitive figure skater for many years and started skating to Andrew Lloyd Webber's music (Cats, Phantom, JC Superstar). I decide to go check out the Phantom Tour in Philadelphia (1991?)  starring Kevin Gray and Terri Bibb. That was it for me. I was hooked on Phantom and Broadway shows ever since....I'm just sad I never got to see the original London/Broadway Phantom cast.

BwayLB
#13How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 1:17pm

BrodyFosse123 said: "I grew up in a culturally diverse and creative family with parents seeing shows on Broadway throughout the mid/late 60s. As a toddler, Iwas brought up seeing live performances (RINGLING BROS CIRCUS, DISNEY ON PARADE, HOLIDAY ON ICE - all early 70s live events), but the very first show I ever saw on Broadway was the original 1972 Broadway production of PIPPIN at the Imperial Theatre. That night I discovered the magic of the Broadway musical as well as starting my obsession with Bob Fosse. I was 7 years old. Also, that year was also his year so he was EVERYWHERE: the film adaptation of CABARET was released and the NBC TV Special LIZA WITH A Z aired. Many attribute this over-saturation of him that year to my still-going obsession with him.

Though I lived in Miami, Florida, I started spending ALL of my summer vacations in NYC. Lucky I had an aunt, uncle and cousins living in the city so I stayed with them. I have since lost count how many original Broadway productions I've seen from 1972 on, and countless times (yes, I use to Second Act countless shows, too - 1970s kids were quite savvy). Me and my cousins also use to walk around the theatre district during the day and actually walk into open stage doors and be shown around the backstage of countless Broadway shows. Times were different then and stage door managers were super cool.

"

Speaking of Pippin, I forgot to mention three years ago I saw the national tour with John Rubinstein as King Charles (who I also saw in Wicked as the Wizard), Sasha Allen as the Leading Player and Lucie Arnez as Grandma Berthe

FosseTharp Profile Photo
FosseTharp
#14How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 1:46pm

I was introduced at a very young age! When I was 3/4 my mother took me to see the national tours of Peter Pan with Sandy Duncan and The Sound of Music with Marie Osmond (well she was in the first act, she sprained her ankle or something and her standby went on for Act 2).  That season my mom also took me to the Nutcracker. Hooked ever since. Took my first acting class at 6;  first professional job (in Peter Pan) at 11; started Dancing seriously at 12. Saw my first Broadway shows when I was in  Middle School: The Lion King and Cabaret.  Went to College for my BFA in Theater emphasis on Directing with a Dance Minor.  Now I’m a freelance Director/Choreographer, dance and acting coach, SDC associate... — and currently gearing up to apply for my MFA. 

Thanks Mom! 

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#15How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 4:17pm

Fairly recently, actually. I've always loved acting, but it wasn't until last Fall when I took a theater class that I really started getting into it. One day I was listening to the Broadway station on Pandora and on came Forget About the Boy from Millie. I'm a huge jazz and swing fan, so hearing the song was basically my gateway into Broadway. I became quite obsessed with the show, but also listened and watched other musicals, which quickly became favorites. While Millie isn't my favorite show anymore, it holds a special place in my heart for introducing me to musical theater. .

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#16How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 4:24pm

ok here goes...my introduction to Broadway musicals started with my musical comedy Community College workshop going to see THE FANTASTICKS in Hollywood, Ca...yes i know it was not a Broadway musical, but it was my very first in person musical...then in 1968 i took my mother to see the touring company of I DO! I DO! with Mary Martin and Robert Preston at the Dorothy Chandler Pav.,  at the Music Center in Los Angeles....in 1970 i left UCLA to move to New York City and met friends who were really into Broadway shows and as i have written about before took me to my very first musical on Broadway...COMPANY...and i became hooked with Broadway and SONDHEIM ever since

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#17How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 4:31pm

I was introduced to musicals watching them on television and I became a big fan. I was introduced to live theater through performances I was taken to as a child at the Henry Street Settlement theater in the lower east side. I was introduced to Broadway by my high school drama teacher, when he took our class to see the original 1981 Broadway production of Dreamgirls.

Mediamaven2
#18How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 5:00pm

Wow. Thanks for trip down memory lane with this Q.

1972- or 1973 -  Jesus Christ Superstar - I was 10 or 11.  My mom took me and my sister in to NYC from LI to see it. What I recall is the opening moments - I couldn't believe it.

The stage was up, like a wall. In my memory it was as the opening chords to Heaven On My mind (I just had to look up the title!) began, the stage lowered ! I couldn't believe it. As the "wall" (ie. stage) lowered back into what was now a traditional stage, these people/dancers in leotards were climbing over  and down the stage/wall as it lowered....Then I guess Judas  started singing ...I don't remember who was in the cast. I know that after seeing this incredible thing I then listened and "performed" the show for months. With the original soundtrack /Yvonne Elliman and Ben Vereen - on a 33 RPM.  Maybe it was for years. Until Evita supplanted it. ! 

I also remember my next Broadway experience: my good friend Ellen's parents (!) w/i the next couple of years took us lucky things to see Chicago.   I do recall that it was with Chita Rivera and Gwen Verdon because I remember the name "CHITA"  made a huge impression and Ellen's parents told us Gwen was married to or divorced from the guy who created the show.

Mediamaven2
#19How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 5:03pm

PS Laughing at that  memory - "the guy who" created the show....but that's how I thought of it in my 13 yo mind. Of course the show was ALL ABOUTH the dancing female stars. I guess there was some guy/guys who were responsible for it? Maybe you've heard of Bob Fosse. Maybe of  Kander and Ebb  too?  I guess maybe.

theater_tech
#20How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 5:04pm

The 25th anniversary to Phantom in the Royal Albert Hall. My official first Broadway show was Wicked, but it was Phantom that really kicked it off. After moving to the US for college, I started going to New York during breaks to see shows. 

BroadwayNoob
#21How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 5:40pm

I watched the Rent movie when I was about 7, and essentially everything went over my head, and my dad fast forwarded through the less appropriate parts. I always wanted to see a show when I was little since I live so close to NYC, but I knew how expensive they were especially for a family of four to go see all together, so my interest kind of fizzled out. This January, my friend harassed me until I gave Hamilton a listen. I always thought it was a joke, but I was really surprised with the amount I liked it. I got back in to musicals, and I ended up seeing my first Broadway show in July, Cats (I knew how terrible the actual story was previously, my mother just wanted to see the revival since its here favorite show). I liked the experience so much that I entered the Broadway ticket lotteries as much as I could. I have now seen Cats, Groundhog Day, Aladdin, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Charlie is my fave out of the 3 that are still on broadway, but thats probably because I love Christian Borle.

BwayLB
#22How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 5:49pm

BroadwayNoob said: "I watched the Rent movie when I was about 7, and essentially everything went over my head,and my dad fast forwarded through the less appropriate parts. I always wanted to see a show when I was little since I live so close to NYC, but I knew how expensive they were especially for a family of four to go see all together, so my interest kind of fizzled out. This January, my friend harassed me until I gave Hamilton a listen. I always thought it was a joke, but I was really surprised with the amount I liked it. I got back in to musicals, and I ended up seeing my first Broadway show in July, Cats (I knew how terrible the actual story was previously, my mother just wanted to see the revival since its here favorite show). I liked the experience so much that I entered the Broadway ticket lotteries as much as I could. I have now seen Cats, Groundhog Day, Aladdin, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Charlie is my fave out of the 3that arestill on broadway, but thats probably because I love Christian Borle."

Just out of curiosity, is Charlie that good of a show overall? I would mainly want to see it for the music and possibly staging.

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#23How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 5:53pm

Bwayfan292 said: "I will start first. I was introduced to broadway on accident. While watching youtube i accidently clicked a rehersal video of Tuck Everlasting and i have been obssesed with Broadway! How were you introduced?"

Way back in the 1970's my aunt took me to two Broadway tours at the National Theatre in Washington DC- Grease with John Travolta as Doody, Jeff Conaway as Danny and Marilu Henner as Marty as well as Irene with Debbie Reynolds (and Carrie Fisher in the ensemble but who knew that then).   Finally my drama teacher took a bus load of us up there for a one day trip.  We saw the musical version of Two Gentlemen of Verona and Jesus Christ Superstar.

BwayLB
#24How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 6:01pm

WestCoastActor/Director said: "Bwayfan292 said: "I will start first. I was introduced to broadway on accident. While watching youtube i accidently clicked a rehersal video of Tuck Everlasting and i have been obssesed with Broadway! How were you introduced?"

Way back in the 1970's my aunt took me to two Broadway tours at the National Theatre in Washington DC- Grease with John Travolta as Doody, Jeff Conaway as Danny and Marilu Henner as Marty as well as Irene with Debbie Reynolds (and Carrie Fisher in the ensemble but who knew that then). Finally my drama teacher took a bus load of us up there for a one day trip. We saw the musical version of Two Gentlemen of Verona and Jesus Christ Superstar.
"

A mother daughter act in the ensemble made up of Grandma Aggie and Princess Leia? No way may they both rest in peace

BroadwayNoob
#25How were you introduced to broadway?
Posted: 10/25/17 at 6:08pm

BwayLB said: "BroadwayNoob said: "I watched the Rent movie when I was about 7, and essentially everything went over my head,and my dad fast forwarded through the less appropriate parts. I always wanted to see a show when I was little since I live so close to NYC, but I knew how expensive they were especially for a family of four to go see all together, so my interest kind of fizzled out. This January, my friend harassed me until I gave Hamilton a listen. I always thought it was a joke, but I was really surprised with the amount I liked it. I got back in to musicals, and I ended up seeing my first Broadway show in July, Cats (I knew how terrible the actual story was previously, my mother just wanted to see the revival since its here favorite show). I liked the experience so much that I entered the Broadway ticket lotteries as much as I could. I have now seen Cats, Groundhog Day, Aladdin, and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Charlie is my fave out of the 3that arestill on broadway, but thats probably because I love Christian Borle."

Just out of curiosity, is Charlie that good of a show overall? I would mainly want to see it for the music and possibly staging.
"

I went in with really low expectations because I had read all of the meh reviews, and I was actually blown away. The amount of talent in that show is enormous. I had gone with my dad since I am under 18 and I won it with the ticket lottery, and he said he actually enjoyed it more than Rent (which he had seen with the OBC), simply because it was uplifting, and there were the songs in there that he already knew, as well as some other new memorable ones. 

The show revolves around that whole aspect of "it must be believed to be seen" so the set is pretty meh, but it really didn't bother me too much since I was really in tune with the show. The theater is pretty small too, so the minimal set didn't look scrawny on the stage. My seats were right orchestra, row M, and they had an amazing view.

Overall, it's an enjoyable experience. It's a kids show so its nothing mind-blowing or spectacular, but it exceeded my expectations and I think they did a really great job of transferring the show from screen to stage. And I think Christian Borle is an absolute genius, so I was sooooo happy to see him in person after watching Falsettos and Leagally Blonde like 17 times