pixeltracker

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews- Page 5

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews

MadonnaMusical Profile Photo
MadonnaMusical
#100SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 8:44am

WhizzerMarvin said: ""Pure, unadulterated, whimsical, stupid fun!

At it's best, it's brilliantly stupid.

At it's worst, it's messy and drags a bit."

I completely agree with all three of these statements. Judging by what I've recently learned from watching the cartoon, Spongebob has never been a plot-heavy enterprise. Though made so that children can enjoy it, the tv show is an existential mood piece with a happy, positive bent.

My first association with Spongebob was in college when the stoners would pass around a joint and laugh their asses off in the wee hours of the morning. Judging by the smells wafting off the crowd walking into the Palace last night, I think more than a few of my college classmates were in the audience last night, ha. And really it's the perfect show to smoke before if you're so inclined. You'll be a little more mellow to deal with the messy spots and it fits with the episodic-Alice-in-Wonderland-trippy journey Spongebob leads you on.
"

Whizzer... I always assumed you were much older than that, but I guess we're about the same age. I wonder if we might even be friends in real life. lol. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#101SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 9:22am

In Chicago the show reminded me of Seussical and Lil' Abner. All three shows are trying to get as many familiar characters on stage as possible. Each puts the town in danger but branches off into a jumble of subplots. Each show has some strong songs but would benefit from cutting the filler. Spongebob hurt itself from the start with the multiple composers gimmick. I saw the show needed to be cut to 90 minutes but never would as each song dropped meant taking a starry name off the marquee.

Another quibble: Ethan Slater's Spongebob is almost charming enough to carry a show but the plot separates him from the supporting cast for far too long. He spends most of his time with Sandy and the book makes her boring.

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
Updated On: 11/9/17 at 09:22 AM

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#102SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 9:27am

Evans2 said: "Anyone else concerned the show isn't selling well?The entire month has pretty much been up on TDF. Even when a date sells out, more seats get loaded on."

It was on Goldstar for the entire run in Chicago. Theatre was half empty some nights. I'm not sure who this is marketed to. Also, Broadway is just too expensive for families, even with discounts. The reviews here make it seem fun and enjoyable, but its not screaming must see. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

After Eight
#103SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 9:51am

PatrickDC wrote: "And apologies if this has already been discussed, but if the score gets a Tony nom, do all the songwriters get noms and Tonys if they win, or maybe just Kitt will be recognized? Has a show like this ever been nominated? "

Several composers and lyricists contributed songs to the musical Working. They were all nominated for the best score Tony.

JSquared2
#104SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 10:35am

Bettyboy72 said:
It was on Goldstar for the entire run in Chicago. Theatre was half empty some nights. I'm not sure who this is marketed to. Also, Broadway is just too expensive for families, even with discounts. The reviews here make it seem fun and enjoyable, but its not screaming must see.

Right --- THAT'S why Lion King, and Aladdin, and Wicked, and Anastasia are all playing to empty houses --- because families don't go to Broadway.Also, the size of Chicago audiences isn't relevant to Broadway.  Last I checked, Chicago isn't exactly a worldwide tourist destination.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#105SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 10:41am

JSquared2 said: "Bettyboy72 said:

Right --- THAT'S why Lion King, and Aladdin, and Wicked, and Anastasia are all playing to empty houses --- because families don't go to Broadway.Also, the size of Chicago audiencesisn't relevant to Broadway. Last I checked, Chicago isn't exactlya worldwide tourist destination.
"

lol 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#106SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 10:48am

You need to tell that to the hoards of tourists who flock here endlessly, and make Michigan Avenue virtually impassible on a regular basis.
Oh: and those same throngs do manage to settle their asses into our theatre seats a lot.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#107SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 2:20pm

Well, seeing SpongeBob the other night reinforced a lesson for me that I try to adhere to as a die hard Broadway fan... never judge a piece of theatre before seeing it for yourself. When they first announced a SpongeBob musical a few years ago, I was disgusted. Listening to the album over the last few months slightly warmed me up to the idea of a SpongeBob musical, but I still remained skeptical. However, it wasn’t until I saw the show that I realized just how wrong and hasty I was with my initial reaction.

SpongeBob is fun, euphoric, colorful, whimsical, and quirky and clever beyond belief. I share the sentiments of many in this thread when I say that this is the most fun I have had in a Broadway theatre in years. Absolutely everything about this show is just an absolute blast.

The cast is absolutely stellar. Ethan Slater’s SpongeBob is perfect. He perfectly captures the essence, humor, and quirkiness of the classic and iconic cartoon character. Lilli Cooper is fantastic, and has some of the best songs in the show. Danny Skinner’s Patrick was insanely hilarious. Gavin Lee Brown and Wesley Taylor are also standouts. Overall the cast is VERY strong. That being said, I did think Patchy the Pirate left a great deal to be desired. He just seemed bored out of his mind, which does not work for that character.

For a score composed of music by such a wide variety of musicians, it is surprisingly quite cohesive. The songs are seamlessly integrated into the whacky plot. I do have to agree that the orchestra sounded canned, though. I am sure that will he worked out in previews though.

The technical elements are extremely impressive. The entire Palace theatre feels like it is underwater. David Zinn’s set design extends out into the house, and it is truly a wonder to behold. The lighting is stunning. This is definitely worthy of some design Tony nominations, and possibly even some wins.

I really can not say enough great things about this show. No matter what your previous conceived notions are about a SpongeBob musical, I 100% think this is worth checking out (especially with all the discount options available). This is just the type of show we need right - it’s a true escape from reality and what’s going on in the world. And in addition to that, it’s actually a really great show.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "
Updated On: 11/9/17 at 02:20 PM

dave1606
#108SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 4:25pm

I saw this last night and have been dreading it ever since it was announced for the fall. I have never been a fan of the TV show and every time that theme song comes on my skin starts to crawl.I agree with Bwayphreak, don't judge it till you have seen it! 

That being said, I found it pretty hard to resist this show. It isn’t perfect, and I think the having different people write the songs was a mistake and especially in act 1 felt like the songs were often totally unrelated to one another. That being said I did find some of the score pretty catchy and I’d be lying if I didn’t have “Best Day Ever” stuck in my head.

I liked the staging and its old-fashionedness. It felt like it was something kids might be re-creating at home.  This is not a super slick musical, it’s a little rough around the edges and I liked it for that. It's low tech creativity was often such a delight!

Ethan Slater is absolutely fantastic and I hope that we see him in lots of shows after this. Gavin Lee was an absolute standout and I thought he had the best musical number we’ve had since Something Rotten’s A Musical. I’ve always loved Gavin who was great in Top Hat in London so happy to see him get a tap number here!

Listen, the show has about 20 minutes of plot, and does amble along at a slow pace at times, but the cast and audience’s energy is infectious. I think Nickelodeon could have gotten away with a lot less effort (a la Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) and still made money, but they put some time and creativity into this and thanks to some great casting I think the show is a success.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#109SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/9/17 at 5:53pm

I saw the first two previews and let me tell you I am in love with this show. Is it the best thing that has ever come to broadway? Not a chance. But is it one of the most creative things? 100%. Original Spongebob episodes are to this day my favorite cartoons and this show is a Spongebob fans dream come true. The cast is giving it their all and i will be extremely surprised if Ethan Slater or Gavin Lee don't get Tony Noms.

That being said the show has some work to do. As much as i love Patchy that whole subplot needs to go. I just don't know what they would do with Poor Pirates since Saras name is on a ton of stuff. Also I feel like the whole scene that happens before "When the going gets tough" can be shortened down as well as some of the scenes between Plankton and Karen. 

Is everyone going to love it? No way. But if you love Spongebob or just want to have some fun with a silly and extremely inventive show its worth it. Also the Mezzanine is the perfect place to sit for this show. I sat in the balcony the second time and felt kinda disconnected but moved to the mezzanine for Act 2 and it was perfect once again.

Is mayonnaise an instrument? SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews

Updated On: 11/9/17 at 05:53 PM

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#110SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 12:48am

I just came back from the show and I really didn't like it. I can't put my finger on why because looking back it had all the qualities of a really good musical, like amazing actors, unbelievable sets, great costumes, amazing direction, some catchy songs, and was "fun," but for some reason I just did not like it. I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea. 

secretschuylersister Profile Photo
secretschuylersister
#111SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/10/17 at 10:44pm

I heard that the Electric Skates interact with the audience. Where should I sit if I'm going for that experience? Does anyone have a seat(s) that they recommend in the orchestra and mezzanine? Aiming to splurge for myself in the orch and then see it with my dad later on in the mezz.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#112SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/11/17 at 2:12am

I saw no interaction, but I'd guess orchestra? 

wicked4l
#113SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/11/17 at 10:26am

They come into the orchestra and take a selfie with an audience member, for my performance it was probably 8 rows back center aisle, house right!

secretschuylersister
#114SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/11/17 at 10:33am

wicked4l said: "They come into the orchestra and take a selfie with an audience member, for my performance it was probably 8 rows back center aisle, house right!"

Thank you so so so much! I hope you enjoyed the show! :)

greenifyme2
#115SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/11/17 at 9:29pm

Has anyone won the lottery? Where were the seats?

starcatchers Profile Photo
starcatchers
#116SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/11/17 at 9:41pm

A friend won, and was in the mezzanine. 

the artist formerly known as dancingthrulife04 Check out my Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/dreamanddrift And please consider donating to my Ride to Remember, benefitting the Alzheimer's Association: http://act.alz.org/site/TR?fr_id=8200&pg=personal&px=6681234

secretschuylersister
#117SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/11/17 at 9:43pm

greenifyme2 said: "Has anyone won the lottery? Where were the seats?"

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1105360&dt=6

edmundog2
#118SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/11/17 at 10:28pm

Have they fixed Spongebob's costume yet? The plaid shirt is hideous. He needs those white sleeves to immediately read as Spongebob.

greenifyme2
#119SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 1:05am

I might just break down and buy a ticket for this. I usually like to sit as close as possible, but this show looks like it might be better from the front mezz because there is so much to take in?

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#120SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/12/17 at 7:45am

I was row c center mezzanine and could see everything perfect except when they would go onto the extension, I had to learn forward a little bit, but overall great view.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#121SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/16/17 at 12:50pm

What time has this been getting out lately? 

mlledir
#122SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/16/17 at 1:28pm

Last night it got out at about 10:20.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#123SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/16/17 at 3:47pm

Thanks!

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#124SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS Previews
Posted: 11/17/17 at 2:19am

Caught it tonight. I was hoping, as many have said on here, to be pleasantly surprised but overall I found it  cloyingly cute, clever  and annoying.  

It started out great with the pirate.. John Rua.. who for me was the highlight of the evening.  It's a shame he was only in the beginning, the opening of act two and the end. If they sustained the tone of the pirate, I may have been a SpongeBob convert. He was delightful. It was great seeing so many actors making their Broadway Debut.

As for the rest of it, I have never seen a Sponge Bob Episode and I wasn't sure if we under the sea or on land because the characters were sponges and octupuses and plankton.  I found it very confusing.  The ten year olds behind me were guffawing loudly with a sense of recognition. I had no idea what they were giggling about as nothing funny was happening at these points. Never having seen an episode, I felt left out of the joke.

Act 1 is twenty minutes too long  and I looked at my watch. Thankfully I stayed and there were some charming surprises and really great numbers in Act Two... Gavin Lee's Tap Number.. the Pirate opening of Act two that would make great Tony Award Numbers... the rock number...  but it just didn't sustain my interest for its 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Guffawing ten year olds and Sponge Bob Fans will probably love it. The director, set and costume designer created a whole new world on stage even if I was confused by it. Everything is played out front as in a theme park show.  It has some style but overall It did not hold my interest.

I couldn't help thinking this was the theatre that housed Sweet Charity, Applause and La Cage.  Interested to see how the critics will react to this one.

Videos