Santino in Hello Dolly!!

Broadwayxxx
#1Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/13/18 at 2:29pm

Is anyone going tonight/soon?? I am a HUGE fan of Santino and cannot wait to hear about his performance!!!!

AllThatJazz2
#2Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/13/18 at 2:38pm

My friend and I are traveling to NYC this weekend and literally changed our arrival flights for Friday so that we can attend that evening’s performance. We love Santino’s work and have wanted to see him perform live for ages, and we adore this production of Hello Dolly (saw it with both Bette and Bernadette). Very excited, both to see him and to see the show for a third time.

Emmaloucbway
#3Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/13/18 at 2:39pm

I'm going later this week! I'm also a huge fan of Santino and I can't wait to see him! I think he'll be great in this role. 

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#4Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/13/18 at 6:07pm

We have tickets for the 25th and while originally we picked that date because it was well into Bernadette's run, I find myself even more excited for Santino this time!

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#5Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/13/18 at 11:32pm

I was there tonight. He's wonderful. There's not much to say. He fit in like he'd been doing the show for months, sang well, danced well, had great chemistry with Kate Baldwin, and was overall funny and charming. His speech in the courtroom scene was especially good, I thought. The rest of the cast is in top shape too!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#6Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/13/18 at 11:42pm

To have such a great debut while rehearsing a tootsie workshop? Great for Santino!!

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#7Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/15/18 at 11:15pm

Santino in Hello Dolly!!Santino in Hello Dolly!!Santino in Hello Dolly!!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#8Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/15/18 at 11:22pm

He is a honey .

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#9Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 12:27am

I don't buy the age, but okay. 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#10Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 1:35am

RippedMan said: "I don't buy the age, but okay."

He's 6 years younger than Gavin, and 7 younger than Baldwin.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#11Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:26am

He's 6 years younger than Gavin, and 7 younger than Baldwin.

An actor's age and casting has nothing to do with each other.  Casting a 30 year old to play a 15 year old is feasible depending on the actor's appearance.  At 30, I still looked 18 years old.  Genetics and actual age has nothing to do with each other.  Some people look 10 years older than their actual ages and some people look 10 years younger than their actual age.  

Fact: Dustin Hoffman was 30 when he played 21 year old Benjamin Braddock in the 1967 film THE GRADUATE and Anne Bancroft was only 6 years older than him when she played Mrs. Robinson -- the OLDER woman his mom's age that he has an affair with.  

Santino in Hello Dolly!!

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#12Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 9:30am

I want to see him in it, this is a perfect role for him!

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#13Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 10:55am

An actor's age and casting has nothing to do with each other. Casting a 30 year old to play a 15 year old isfeasible depending on the actor's appearance. At 30, I still looked 18 years old. Genetics and actual age has nothing to do with each other. Some people look 10years older than their actual ages and some people look 10 years younger than their actual age.

Well he's 35 playing 33 and a quarter. I know you said actual age doesn't matter, but I can say he certainly didn't look older onstage.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#14Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:09am

Jesus Christ, he's not Abe Vigoda.  

I saw his third performance, I believe (Wednesday night).  He's fantastic.  And perfectly age appropriate.  In full command of the stage and the character, he has fantastic chemistry with Ms. Baldwin (who I think should have won the Tony for Supporting Actress) and he's in fantastic voice.  Other than the show stopping because Vandergelder's wouldn't go away during Sunday Clothes, it was pure joy.  The depths mined by Peters whenever she spoke to Ephraim Levi cut me to the quick.  I welled up every time (probably owing to my own personal history I bring to the show).  It really is musical comedy at its highest level.   

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#15Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 11:34am

I can't wait to see Santino do this!

And does anybody else want to see a picture of BrodyFosse123 at 30 years old when he still looked 18?

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#16Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 12:14pm

Why are we all ok with color blind casting but are against age-blind casting?  If someone's age takes you out of the moment, then what about race?  disability?  age is a slippery slope we shouldn't go down.

terrilovesNY
#17Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/16/18 at 6:26pm

Hi.  Does anyone know how long Santino will be for Gavin?  I am a fan of Hello Dolly and Santino and would love to see him in the role of Cornelius.  (I wish Gavin well and a speedy recovery) .  My next trip to NYC isn't until late June.  I'm very excited to see Bernadette & Victor and wonder if that may be to late to see Santino.

AllThatJazz2
#18Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/17/18 at 5:01pm

Was there last night and the entire cast was a dream. Santino meshed with everyone effortlessly. Top notch. So, so happy we went again to catch him in the role.

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#19Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/17/18 at 6:06pm

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 06:06 PM

ellbellthomps
#20Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/19/18 at 7:55am

I saw him the other night, he was great and super sweet at stagedoor.

Updated On: 3/19/18 at 07:55 AM

Dollypop
#21Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/19/18 at 10:53am

I was 30 when I played 16 yr old George Gibbs in OUR TOWN and no one seemed to mind. Of course, I was more age appropriate in the last act.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#22Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/19/18 at 5:00pm

From the pic above with Victor Garber, it looks like Charlie Stemp is taller than both Santino Fontana and Garber. Barnaby is usually cast as shorter. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo.

Updated On: 3/19/18 at 05:00 PM

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#23Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/19/18 at 5:06pm

Dollypop said: "I was 30 when I played 16 yr old George Gibbs in OUR TOWN and no one seemed to mind. Of course, I was more age appropriate in the last act."

Hey there! I was 30 when I played the Courier in 1776.

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#24Santino in Hello Dolly!!
Posted: 3/19/18 at 6:47pm

What is it with the ridiculous age obsession on this site? Deal with the performance, not the damn age of the actor. Good Lord, get a grip on this lack of common sense!