Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#1Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 10:22pm

Only seen him in La Cage and Fire and Air.  A lot of hot air signifying little.  Did anyone see his Charlie?

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 10:26pm

La Cage - Yay (except what is up with the weird autotune on the recording?)

Fire and Air - Nay (but might also be due to terrible writing. I really wonder if Nathan Lane would have saved this show - and I don't think I'm the only one to make this comment)

Black Mirror Season 4 episode "Black Museum"- Yay.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 10:32pm

qolbinau said: "La Cage - Yay (except what is up with the weird autotune on the recording?)"

I remember saying this when the recording was released, and others said I was being ridiculous. 

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#4Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 10:42pm

The autotune really is laughable.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#5Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:06pm

His performance on Fire and Air was damn near unwatchable. And his direction of Old Times was mediocre at best. Didn’t see him in La Cage, and I haven’t seen him in Black Mirror, but as of now I’m very “Nay”

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#6Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:11pm

Despised him in La Cage.

(To be honest, I was in the extreme minority of people who hated that entire production.)

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#7Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:18pm

Yay

dougs9797
#8Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:18pm

Bought the soundtrack to the LaCage revival. Couldn't stand listening to it because of his vocals. But Karma is a bitch. I saw the revival during Jeffrey Tambor's brief run. What a nightmare. Felt so bad for him.

Wayman_Wong
#9Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/26/18 at 11:53pm

Nay on ''Cage.'' Chad Kimball (''Memphis'' ) should've won the Tony.

Updated On: 3/26/18 at 11:53 PM

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#10Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 12:39am

Only brought it up cause I'm listening to his "Must Be Believed To Be Seen".  Like it better than Borles's.  Didn't see his Charlie.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 12:42am

I really didn’t care for his LA Cage, feel like it came over because him but didn’t love it.

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#12Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 5:23am

I'm with AdamGreer. I disliked him immensely in La Cage. I also hated that production.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany
Updated On: 3/27/18 at 05:23 AM

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#13Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 6:19am

Count me in the group that hated the whole La Cage revival, Hodge included. I greatly enjoyed the London production of Charlie, but mostly the first Act in which Wonka barely appears. Act II was much less good and Hodge seemed to be playing in some panto on a different wavelength than the rest of the cast. Let's face it-- following in the footsteps of Gene Wilder is a tough gig for any actor, soI don't blame Douglas Hodge for the failures there. Give him a part like the Dysquiths  n A Gentleman's Guide and he'd probably triumph.

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#14Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 6:34am

I saw him in La Cage and Charlie...  He's very talented but always a little too much for me.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#15Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 11:56am

That production of 'La Cage' was a travesty- and not in the right way!

Hodge is better in plays than musicals.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#16Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 12:08pm

I like him a lot more on TV (Penny Dreadful and Black Mirror specifically) than I do on stage. His performance in Fire and Air was one of the worst I've seen.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#17Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/27/18 at 12:13pm

Didn't see him in La Cage, but I absolutely LOVED that production (Graham Norton in London and Harvey Fierstein on Broadway).  In fact, it's the only production of La Cage I've seen that I truly enjoyed.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Withonelook2
#18Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 7:58am

Have only seen him in Charlie. His performance was ok, the production was so so. It made me not even want to see it on broadway!

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#20Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 8:48am

Loved him in Charlie-the show came alive once he appeared at the end of Act I. 

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#21Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 9:30am

I don't get it. The La Cage revival was so crazily overpraised, but I found nothing remarkable about Hodge's smirky, painfully sung performance. Fire and Air was a mess, and I couldn't figure out why Hodge was playing the role of a continental European impresario as if he were a closeted ballet teacher from the Midwest. And his production of Old Times managed to make a 70-minute play feel like it was five hours long.

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

thedrybandit
#22Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 9:34am

I've only seen him in Cyrano de Bergerac when it was at the Airlines five years ago or so, but he was brilliant when I saw it. That performance definitely gets a Yay from me.

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#23Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 9:37am

The LA CAGE revival had it's problems, but I saw Harvey and I felt he made the whole thing worth it. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

linus84
#24Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 9:45am

Why don't we change the thread title to something else. It seems a little mean to single out someone and encourage a Love/Hate forum. This is time to be kind!

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#25Douglas Hodge - Yay or Nay?
Posted: 3/28/18 at 5:53pm

I saw his La Cage back in London before it transferred and honestly loved it and loved his performance in it. But I could also tell watching it that it could very possibly be a pretty divisive performance, so I've never been too surprised at the detractors.

Videos