pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 22

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
Posted: 8/25/18 at 11:09am

So wish I could be there for tonight’s final performance. This show and this production have brought so much joy and happiness when we needed it most.

I can’t wait to hear reports of the multiple ovations I’m sure there will be tonight. Have the best time everyone!!

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
Posted: 8/25/18 at 11:19am

ActorGuyIL said: "Wow, an 850k nut per week? I can't believe the show was that expensive to run."

Are the producers on this also the producers on the tour? Won't they make more money from that? Also, do the original creators keep getting their profits from the tour or get another lump payment?
"

Rudin is the lead producer on the tour. The Broadway investors/co-producers probably have a right to invest a certain amount into the tour, though they could choose not to. There may also be a “royalty” paid to the original producers, so that would be a second income stream for the investors. And it’s safe to assume there will be more profit distributed after the show closes and everything gets wrapped up. But those are some crazy numbers...$150K a week in advertising for a show that was sold-out and pretty much guaranteed to win the Tony??

The original creators/director/etc. probably get another lump payment and then a weekly percentage for the tour. The tour is basically a separate production—but one that’s based off the Broadway production—and in financial terms it’s a separate business entity.

Updated On: 8/25/18 at 11:19 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Posted: 8/25/18 at 12:50pm

Yeah, i figured the show wasn't cheap to run. Sad I didn't get to see it once more with either Bette or Donna. Kudos to the four ladies that graced that stage as Dolly. Bette, Donna, Bernadette and let's not forget Linda Mugleston's one performance as Dolly.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
Posted: 8/25/18 at 12:50pm

Yeah, i figured the show wasn't cheap to run. Sad I didn't get to see it once more with either Bette or Donna. Kudos to the four ladies that graced that stage as Dolly. Bette, Donna, Bernadette and let's not forget Linda Mugleston's one performance as Dolly.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
Posted: 8/25/18 at 1:10pm

I kinda wonder where the 150k in advertising went. I occasionally saw the big red billboards but I don't remember seeing many TV ads. Was it in the print edition of papers a lot? (I only read digital newspapers now.)

I'm also surprised at the deal Jerry Herman was able to negotiate. Flat fee of 300k plus 20% of the weekly nut?

Updated On: 8/25/18 at 01:10 PM

xmaschild
Posted: 8/25/18 at 1:58pm

We were in line st the box office around 6:15 this morning for rush. There were about 20 people ahead of us so didn’t hold out much hope but we got the last 2 rush tickets fir tonight (and then ran back to the hotel to extend our stay another night). We’re in the last row of the balcony but I can’t wait to be part of this event with my theater loving 12 year old daughter!

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
Posted: 8/25/18 at 3:06pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Haterobics, how did you get that??"

I got one of those huge flat mailers, the sort that Triton uses to ship things, so before I saw the show on August 11, I went to the post office and filled it with three regular posters to make sure I got the weight of the thicker Dolly poster right.

So, when I went to NYC, I brought the empty envelope all addressed to me, return address from the Divine Miss M, etc. Popped in to Theater Circle, bought the poster, slid it in the envelope, and also an envelope taped to the flat with a brief letter and a receipt for a $150 donation to NYRP (Bette's charity).

And somehow, it worked?!?!

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
Posted: 8/25/18 at 3:07pm

It should be just about intermission time at this final “Hello, Dolly!” on Broadway matinee.   

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#533 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 3:29pm

It sounded like the 850K was how much it cost with Bette in the show, so it was probably still afloat with Bernadette, but just barely.

With it closing today, I wonder if those west end plans are still intact and when we should expect that announcement.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

FosseBoi
#534 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 4:24pm

Anyone know if they dropped the prices on any merch this week? 

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#535 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 4:34pm

Next to last curtain call should be happening about now.

As for “Hello, Dolly!” merchandise, I’d imagine it will sell out before the price drops. Lots of last minute “I wished I had bought that” purchases. Been looking all over the internet and eBay and the selection is getting limited.

LadyJane4
#536 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 4:35pm

Are newbies invited to meet before the show? I might "swing" by, but I'm also a little shy! I may also go to Smith's on 8th Avenue for a drink beforehand (they have food also).

About to hop in the shower and hop into my red dress while "Put On Your Sunday Clothes" blasts on my stereo.  

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#537 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 5:09pm

I'll be at Lillie's with my mom. Couple of drinks before and quick bite. This will be my third time going this month. Couldn't miss tonight. I know I don't need to say to this group but everyone enjoy tonights experience. :)

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Flowerlovestage5 Profile Photo
Flowerlovestage5
#538 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 5:18pm

Just came from the last matinee. Production is as sublime as always and Bette was superb, as always. She gave a thorough and transcendent performance. Her parade number was emotional and enthralling.

God Bless Dolly!

Browneyes142
#539 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 5:20pm

Dollypop said: "For thoseinterested in meeting up tomorrow, we'll meet in front of Sardi's at 6:15 and decide where we'll eat. Wear red."

Can someone post here where you guys end up? I may be running a little late, can you save me a spot?

WaffleOnWheels
#540 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 5:22pm

Back from the matinee. Wow. First time seeing Bette, and as much as I love Bernadette this was on a whole other level. Standing ovation at her enterance, partial standing o after parade, and full standing o after title number. Bette is in great voice and demands the stage every time she’s on it. David Hyde Pierce was stellar and got prolonged applause on his entrance and his numbers. Gavin Creel and Kate Baldwin just keep getting better. I can’t believe this production is closing. I dont think I stopped smiling the whole time, which is what we need today, isn’t it?

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#541 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 6:00pm

Here in Oklahoma and while packing for my work trip to Virginia tomorrow, I’m listening to the OBCR and feeling the excitement of everyone lucky enough to attend tonight. I’m so glad I got to see it with both Bette and Bernadette.

The Hello, Dolly! threads have overall been some of the least snarky in recent memory. It’s glorious when the love of theater supersedes all.

Dollypop
#542 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 6:06pm

We'll eat some dumplings for you, Miles!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#543 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 6:20pm

Hello Dolly closing. And I discovered this about the making of the dumplings while googling for an image. 

https://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151554760252793.1073741856.40716767792&type=3

The Pecan Sandies
#544 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 6:31pm

Just picked up my tickets! I don’t think I have ever been so excited for a show!!!

Zamedy154
#545 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 7:15pm

Just picked up my ticket as well and standing in line. Shaking with excitement. I can't believe the night has come. For everyone else fortunate enough to be here, let's laugh together, cry together, hoot and holler together, soak it all in together. Tonight we are part of history.

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#546 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 7:32pm

I just finished playing my hello dolly vinyl, while reading the previews thread. This was such a special production and im so happy I got to see it. Have fun tonight guys. So long dearie!

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

smidge
#547 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 7:37pm

Have a wonderful time eveyone!! Think I'll throw my vinyl on tonight too. Hope they play out those scenes until you're exhausted with joy and laughter!

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#548 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 8:00pm

Rudin and Buckley in the house....show time.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

WaffleOnWheels
#549 Hello Dolly closing.
Posted: 8/25/18 at 8:14pm

I'm worried I'm going to have a hard time topping this experience. 2 and half hours of pure joy. I almost couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Videos