#25The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/8/18 at 9:24pm

I want Ethan Slater to win.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#26The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/8/18 at 9:39pm

I saw SpongeBob in Chicago and a star was born.

Ethan is giving the best performance of the nominees.

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#27The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/8/18 at 9:59pm

I have yet to see Hadden-Patton, but I’d give Slater my vote of the other three. And I adore the rich, vulnerable work Shalhoub gives in The Band’s Visit and found Henry the only point of strength in Carousel (though have preferred his work elsewhere—he should have won for Scottsboro Boys). But really, considering there were only five eligible performances, how extraordinary that it’s as rich and varied a category as it is.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#28The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:01pm

I find myself constantly listening to Amelie. Gorgeous music. Just a tough show to make work.

On the opposite I found Spongebob a complete chore to sit through. Slater is fine in the roll, but I don’t know, didn’t walk out feeling like I’d see an award worthy performance. I never found myself caring about anything on stage.

Tony gives such an understated performance, but it’s gorgeous. I really felt his inner turmoil and heartbreak.

Jessetenny Profile Photo
Jessetenny
#29The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:10pm

My Ranking for preference and what I think:

1. Ethan Slater

2. Harry Haden-Patton

3. Joshua Henry

4. Tony Shalhoub.

I just can't see Tony winning at all unless he rides The Band's Visit train, like Phillipa Soo did to score a nomination in 2016.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#30The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/8/18 at 10:31pm

I’ve only seen Shalhoub who I thought gave an incredibly nuanced and moving performance. I listened to the cast recording again today on one of my flights and even though he doesn’t have much singing in the show, his performance just moved me whenever his voice appeared in my headphones. I know it’s best actor (not singer) in a musical, but I suspect he will be penalized for a largely non-singing role.

I plan to see the other three performances (already have my ticket for MFL) in June although it will be after the Tony Awards.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#31The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 12:04am

Eh, he's still an ACTOR in a MUSICAL. So I don't think that should be a detriment. Henry doesn't seem to have the support to take the award, so I think he's def. out. But the other 2 are toss ups. I think they'd likely give the award to MFL than to Spongebob just on prestige alone. 

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#32The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 5:57am

SomethingPeculiar said: "Harry and Lauren's MFL performances are so brilliant because they each rely so much on the work that the other is doing, and they're so specific to this version of MFL. They would feel out-of-place in any other My Fair Lady.

As a result, I think Tony voters will give My Fair Ladyboth leading actor awards.
"

I agree. In recent years, the Best Revival Musical Tony normally goes to whichever musical wins Leading Actor or Leading Actress so my bet is MFL will win Best Revival as well.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#33The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:34am

Joshua may have the best vocal performance in Carousel and Harry may be brilliant as Higgins, but Ethan completely vocally and, above all, physically transforms himself to a memorable, joyful character. His performance is so irresistible and so endearing. That’s why I think Ethan will have his cake on Tony night.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#34The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 9:11am

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/09/theater/tony-awards-ballot-who-will-win.html

It's interesting that both Green and Brantley think it'll go to Slater.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#35The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 10:09am

And yet both think Shalhoub deserves it over the others.

natashalost
#36The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 3:42pm

willrolandsframes said: "thealtoslament said: "Groundhog Day should’ve waited until this season. I’m still bitter."
...You want to talk about regretting not waiting? How do you think the producers of Amelie feel right about now? In a season like this, that show likely would've gotten a fair share of nominations as well as a much larger space than the Kerr.
"

How do you think Great Comet feels? They would've swept every category if they opened this year. 

MadsonMelo
#37The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 4:02pm

I think people are understimating Henry's chance.

RaisedOnMusicals Profile Photo
RaisedOnMusicals
#38The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 5:21pm

willrolandsframes said: "thealtoslament said: "Groundhog Day should’ve waited until this season. I’m still bitter."

You want to talk about regretting not waiting? How do you think the producers of Amelie feel right about now? In a season like this, that show likely would've gotten a fair share of nominations as well as a much larger space than the Kerr.

They really, really, really dropped the ball.
"

I’m curious as to why you think a larger space is an advantage. In fact, I think that it’s a significant disadvantage most of the time. If you have a good to great show, having a smaller house keeps demand very high, which in turn keeps the average ticket price high. And that’s critical. Just st look at Book of Mormon, Hamilton and DEH. Those shows are all in smaller theaters and as a result, there’s a huge demand for tickets.  As a result the average ticket price is very high and the shows sell out. That’s what makes investors very happy. 

CZJ at opening night party for A Little Night Music, Dec 13, 2009.
Updated On: 5/9/18 at 05:21 PM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#39The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 5:29pm

The Tonys seem a bit different from the Oscars is that you just never know who is going to win the award unless it's like a Hugh Jackman in Boy from Oz situation. I know some times you can just tell, but when it's close like this, who knows how it will go. I'm glad there aren't precursors with overlapping memberships spoiling the "surprise" come Tony night even though some years, it's very easy to predict (like those Book of Mormon or The Producers years).

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#40The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 5:55pm

I actually think in this compettitive race the nominees are going to split the vote and Tony Shaloub will end up taking it. He gave a beautiful performance, is a hugely respected actor and will have the advantage of being in the Best Musical winner.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”
Updated On: 5/9/18 at 05:55 PM

taylortrensch Profile Photo
taylortrensch
#41The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/9/18 at 7:29pm

RaisedOnMusicals said: "I’m curious as to why you think a larger space is an advantage. In fact, I think that it’s a significant disadvantage most of the time. If you have a good to great show, having a smaller house keeps demand very high, which in turn keeps the average ticket price high. And that’s critical. Just st look at Book of Mormon, Hamilton and DEH. Those shows are all in smaller theaters and as a result, there’s a huge demand for tickets. As a result the average ticket price is very high and the shows sell out. That’s what makes investors very happy."

I'm curious too. I think that Spongebob Squarepants could be doing a lot better if they played in a smaller house. Their show has sold out a few times, but I think it could boost advance sales and the number of sold out shows if they weren't at the Palace. But I understand they needed a big space to accommodate their gigantic on stage & off stage set.  

don't message me thinking im taylor trensch?? what would he be doing on bww?? you can't possibly be that dumb bye

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#42The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/10/18 at 1:20am

natashalost said: "willrolandsframes said: "thealtoslament said: "Groundhog Day should’ve waited until this season. I’m still bitter."
...You want to talk about regretting not waiting? How do you think the producers of Amelie feel right about now? In a season like this, that show likely would've gotten a fair share of nominations as well as a much larger space than the Kerr.
"

How do you think Great Comet feels? They would've swept every category if they opened this year.

"

I'm a huge fan of Groundhog Day, and very, very fond of Great Comet as well. I still occasionally stop and curse fate that neither opened in this season.

I remember liking Amelie when I saw it at Berkeley Rep, but the music is kind of bland when I go back and listen to the cast recording.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/10/18 at 1:27am

Oh, I think "Thin Air" from Amelie is one of the most gorgeous musical theater songs of the past few years. As, I do, with most of the score. It's subtle and gorgeous to me. Is it a great musical? no, but I love the writing. I can't wait to see what else that team writes. 

Spongebob is a product of its theater. There is "gigantic" set off-stage. The actual set is very minimal. They just built out the front of the house to make it seem huge. They could have done that in any space. I think Viacom just wanted the Palace for the Times Square signage. 

smidge
#44The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 7:57am

I believe this might be a spread the wealth situation which would leave Shaloub out if TBV wins for Musical and actress. I think Slater may get it.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#45The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 8:50am

I still can't imagine anyone beating Lenk's nuanced work in The Band's Visit. If they're spreading the love around, I see Slater winning actor, Lenk winning actress, and Butz and Mendez winning for Featured. I can't imagine The Band's Visit going home without a win in an actinv category.

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#46The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 9:46am

As much as I loved Hadden-Paton and Ambrose's brilliant work, my choices for Actor and Actress would be Slater and Lenk.

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#47The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 12:06pm

When it comes to acting categories, I could honestly see Band's Visit taking all three it's nominated for. Lenk, Stachel, and Shalhoub are each giving super strong performances in a year that's unusually non-uniform when it comes to popular opinion.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#48The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 12:12pm

TFMH18 said: "When it comes to acting categories, I could honestly see Band's Visit taking all three it's nominated for. Lenk, Stachel, and Shalhoub are each giving super strong performances in a year that's unusually non-uniform when it comes to popular opinion."

Is there any actual momentum for Stachel?

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#49The 2018 Best Actor in a Musical Race
Posted: 5/31/18 at 1:01pm

TFMH18 said: "When it comes to acting categories, I could honestly see Band's Visit taking all three it's nominated for. Lenk, Stachel, and Shalhoub are each giving super strong performances in a year that's unusually non-uniform when it comes to popular opinion."

I think the person with the best chance of beating Norbert Leo Butz is Grey Henson, not Ari'el Stachel. But I don't see either of those things happening.

Videos