pixeltracker

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Reactions Thread)- Page 3

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Reactions Thread)

Big Apple2 Profile Photo
Big Apple2
#50Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Reactions Thread)
Posted: 7/21/18 at 2:26pm

jimmycurry01 said: "It was cute. Everyone in the theater seemed to love it. There was applause, squealing, laughter, and tears heard throughout; as well as women singing along. I think everyone there had a good time."

That depends on who applauded. If it’s the same demographic who did to the latest Jurassic World film, best to stay away. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#51Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Reactions Thread)
Posted: 7/21/18 at 3:07pm

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/is-meryl-streep-dead-in-mamma-mia-2.html

The only place you will find Mamma Mia- Here We Go Again compared to The Godfather II.  (AKA the ONLY sequel ever deemed to be better than the original!)

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#52Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Reactions Thread)
Posted: 7/21/18 at 3:22pm

^ The Empire Strikes Back says hi.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

RJ14
#53Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (Reactions Thread)
Posted: 7/21/18 at 11:58pm

I love this timeline where a Mamma mia movie has higher Rotten tomatoes score than Les Mis and Into The woods

HugoP
#54Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 1:13am

Saw it last night.    Enjoyed it somewhat-- mainly thanks to Walters and Baranski and their younger incarnations.    It really plays like a fun, energetic Bollywood musical where the dancing is largely made up of line dances that include lots of non-professionals, and the numbers are sort of shoehorned in on a regular basis, with little heed to plot or character.   The actor who plays young Colin Firth reminds me of young Michael Crawford in the film version of HELLO DOLLY!-- so take that as encouragement or warning.  Cher might as well have been animated for all the work she's apparently had done, but she does have presence and star power.     But, I have to hand it to them:   the last 15 minutes of the movie work beautifully-- thanks to some lovely moments and a credit sequence that is delightful.   

izzio2
#55Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:37am

It's just SO genuinely fun and uncynical. I sobbed, I laughed, I had an amazing time. It's not a good movie, but it doesn't even matter; it's a blissful, unadulterated celebration of life. Dancing Queen comes in blazing on boats, Colin Firth and Stellan Skarsgaard doing the Titanic pose, and I just about lost my mind in my utter enjoyment. The extras look like they're having the time of their lives. Every big name actor in this looks like they're just having an amazing time even if they can't sing or dance amazingly, and it felt like a life-affirming celebration of growing older and embracing death. It's obvious they just threw in Cher just for the hell of it and killed off Donna just because Meryl didn't want to be in the entire movie, but it doesn't even matter to me, it's just so wonderful. I literally can't believe this movie exists and I'm so thankful for it :) :) 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#56Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 12:28pm

I enjoyed it. Is it as fun as the first film? No, but the cast was great, and Meryl had everyone sobbing in the theater. Standouts were Josh, Christine, and Maria Vacratsis.

Have a drink before and enjoy it. 

RJ14
#57Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 12:41pm

Watch Meryl Streep get nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Golden Globe next year for 5 mins cameo. I wouldn’t complain

Fosse76
#58Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:04pm

sabrelady said: "http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/is-meryl-streep-dead-in-mamma-mia-2.html

The only place you will find Mamma Mia- Here We Go Again comparedto The Godfather II. (AKA the ONLY sequel ever deemed to be better than the original!)
"

Addams Family Values was also deemed better than the original. 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#59Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:07pm

Elfuhbuh said: "^ The Empire Strikes Back says hi."

TECHnically that would be correct but I ( and many other Science  fIction  fans) have always viewed TESB as the middle part of a planned trilogy.(part 6 of an NIne part series( altho Lucas has stated he never expected that ALL parts would be actually filmed) Is the Two Towers of Lord of the Rings really a sequel? No, it is the MIDDLE of trilogy( that through a desire to milk for all it could get the studio split the last film in two making it a quadrilogy). To me that's where TESB  falls.

Thus ends the lesson from a SciFi nerd

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#60Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:34pm

Did anyone find this one to be a bit of a downer? The scenes in the modern time line were so weighted down by Donna’s death that the energetic and poppy musical numbers felt inappropriate; the juxtaposition of those two tones threw everything off for me. It wasn’t until the last act that the movie struck the right balance between the different tones.

Updated On: 7/22/18 at 02:34 PM

anislander
#61Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/22/18 at 2:39pm

I saw it on Friday night. I genuinely loved it, it isn't a perfect meaning by any means, but I think it was a great escape for the night. I'll probably go back.

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#62Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 12:14am

Does anyone know where I can find the instrumental music they play over the end credits? It was awesome!!!

Famebroadway2 Profile Photo
Famebroadway2
#63Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 12:14am

Does anyone know where I can find the instrumental music they play over the end credits? It was awesome!!!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#64Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 5:08am

TheQuibbler said: "Did anyone find this one to be a bit of a downer? The scenes in the modern time line were so weighted down by Donna’s death that the energetic and poppy musical numbers felt inappropriate; the juxtaposition of those two tones threweverything off for me. It wasn’t until the last act that the movie struck the right balance between the different tones."

i kind of agree, the whole thing maybe would have held up better as simply a prequel.

as for Empire Strikes Back... it’s a perfect sequel, how does it fail as he second part of a trilogy?

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#65Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 8:00am

starcatchers said: "DarlingElegantine said: "Random thing- does Lily wear contacts in the film so her eyes match Meryl's? In the promo shots i've seen she has brown eyes and doesnt look very close to Meryl. Is it easy to believe theyre the same person?"

A friend mentioned this to me yesterday, and I honestly wouldn’t have noticed without having had it pointed out, but their eyes are not the same color. Lily has brown eyes.
"

Didn't notice the eye thing with Lily, but it was obvious on different eye colour with the young vs old Rosie.  They young one has bright blue eyes and the older darker.  

I'm a huge fan of the musical and saw the movie on the weekend.  I actually enjoyed it quite a bit more than expecting (as nothing beats the real musical...plus sequels are hard to do well).  I thought they cast the younger 'dads' really well.  I may be the only one to think this but I didn't love the younger Donna (Lily).  Maybe I've seen too many times on stage, but the character didn't match well to me.  

I actually found the movie emotional.  Maybe because I lost my own mom a couple years ago, but just found there was the sadness (had tears at Dancing Queen which is ironic).  But having said that, quite liked it and overall was a fun movie.

Updated On: 7/23/18 at 08:00 AM

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#66Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 11:27am

Glad to hear the movie is being received well.  I was the audition accompanist when they were looking for the young counterparts, and I worked with Ms. Baranski, teaching her some of her songs.  It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see the finished product!

sng
#67Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 11:33am

DooWahDiddy said: "Glad to hear the movie is being received well. I was the audition accompanist when they were looking for the young counterparts, and I worked with Ms. Baranski, teaching her some of her songs. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to see the finished product!"

Can you tell us if Lily James was offered the role or she auditioned? If she auditioned, who else was in contender?

DooWahDiddy Profile Photo
DooWahDiddy
#68Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 1:41pm

sng said: "Can you tell us if Lily James was offered the role or she auditioned? If she auditioned, who else was in contender?"

Nah, not at liberty to discuss that, but I will say I was *this* close to teaching Meryl Streep her songs, too.  Her agent called at the last minute and asked for the room to be emptied other than the director and music supervisor.  Understandable, but disappointing!

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#69Mamma Mia-- the Bollywood Musical
Posted: 7/23/18 at 8:06pm

The sound is rotten. A character's voice INSIDE a Greek bar then OUTSIDE on a boat should not have the same one-dimensional sound quality.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#70Mamma Mia-- CHER we go again!!!
Posted: 7/24/18 at 5:50pm

Say what you will about MM2 and its' flaws, what I can say (proudly)...

..with one of ABBA's best composed anthems, "FERNANDO", CHER has delivered a sincere performance and a truly needed KISS on the lips of "GAY HEAVEN", that hopefully will last for the next couple of generations. WE WILL NEED IT!

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

¿Macavity?
#71Mamma Mia-- CHER we go again!!!
Posted: 7/24/18 at 6:22pm

I caught this last week and had an enjoyable time. I love Mamma Mia for all its fluffy fun, and this was certainly a nice follow up!

When it was fun, it was really fun! But I agree with the other users that said they found most present scenes to be real downers... As a result I didn’t find this movie to be something that I’d rewatch too often. It’s wonderful, it really is, even with its flaws, but it was also a little too sad for a light comedy. The scene at the very end was indeed very moving...

It ALMOST felt like a genre change! The first movie was like a romantic/comedy with a light sprinkle of drama, while this movie was like a bittersweet drama with lots of romance and a still generous share of comedy. But that could be just me because...well... I couldn’t get over Donna being gone!

Gizmo6
#72Mamma Mia-- CHER we go again!!!
Posted: 7/24/18 at 7:45pm

Loved it.

Cried and laughed.

It was whimsical, nostalgic and poignant.

Two hours of sheer joy.

Beautiful arrangement of the songs and loved hearing less played ABBA songs Angel Eyes Kissed the Teacher and Andante Andante.

CHER was fabulous but some of her jokes didn’t land but Jesus she slayed the house down!

Great atmosphere at the screening will probably go again.

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#73Mamma Mia-- CHER we go again!!!
Posted: 7/24/18 at 10:28pm

I thought the 1st movie was fun and joyful, but this one, ek!

It started off as a downer and I don't think the story could movie past that point especially using less known ABBA songs. Even the reprises of melodies from the 1st movie sound desperate. I was pretty disappointed with the story as I really didn't see the point. But if you want to see pretty people, this is the movie for you!

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#74Mamma Mia-- CHER we go again!!!
Posted: 7/26/18 at 4:13am

saw the sequel again earlier today and then just finished rewatching the original on netflix

the original i think will hold up much better, i just think it’s a very solid film.

the sequel doesn’t have as many ABBA classics though it is a fun ride especially for fans of some of their lesser hits.

i also noticed i much prefer the way the original was filmed, the sequel kind of looks like a made-for-tv movie in comparison

the strengths of the sequel are the prequel elements (despite a bit of inconsistencies regarding the timeline of the potential fathers sleeping with Donna and each one kind of feels like a “fling”) and the ending section with Cher and Meryl Streep where i think is where the movie really comes to life. one annoyance was Dancing Queen’s inclusion being so ridiculous and unnecessary... like they’re showing them coming on the boat and they’re dancing and that’s it.

rewatching the original it seems like they must have all had so much fun making the movie, i’m not sure if the sequel captures that same spirit.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."