pixeltracker

HADESTOWN to open this spring at the Walter Kerr- Page 3

HADESTOWN to open this spring at the Walter Kerr

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#50HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 5:57pm

Alex Kulak2 said: "Bye Joe Iconis' and David Yazbek's Tony chances"

Not saying anything about Iconis/Yazbek, but this would be the first solo female composer since Cyndi Lauper if Mitchell were to win, wouldn't it?

IHeartNY2
#51HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 6:07pm

Scarlet Leigh said: "ACL2006 said: "Best Musical nominees:
Hadestown
Tootsie
The Cher Show
The Prom
5th option: Be More Chill
"

As it should be through I could see Beetlejuice still coming in and pushing out The Prom to 5th option and Be More Chill out all together. I totally forgot that The Prom is here this season as well begin that it hasn't made huge waves (minus the Thankgiving performance of course) but it's got so much heart I would love to see it recognized with a nomination.
"

What about Ain't Too Proud???

Catsbroadwayfan
#52HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 6:10pm

Ain’t Too proud won’t even make it to the Tony’s. Cast of zero names, and it’s basically motown. Big ol flop waiting to happen.

As for Be more chill, even the stans of BMC are saying their chances are gone of winning a tony

Sondheimite Profile Photo
Sondheimite
#53HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 6:13pm

IHeartNY2 said: "
What about Ain't Too Proud???"

A great tax write off for all those invested!

Broadway World's Fireman.

carolinaguy Profile Photo
carolinaguy
#54HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 8:49pm

jacobsnchz14 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "Bye Joe Iconis' and David Yazbek's Tony chances"

Not saying anything about Iconis/Yazbek, but this would be the first solo female composer since Cyndi Lauper if Mitchell were to win, wouldn't it?
"

The only solo female composer other than La Lauper. 

I'm sending pictures of the most amazing trees/You'll be obsessed with all my forest expertise

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#55HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 8:54pm

Keiichi2 said: "First time I've heard of this, but the overall excitement here has me intrigued, and thinking of looking into it for my trip next May. Is there any show that this can be compared to? Is it a funny, dark, or complex show? I will definitely have to do some investigating, and looking on Youtube for song samples, but anyone who could provide more info than what the article here announcing its opening next year would be appreciated."

Bumping this because I have the same question. Those who have seen it, what would you compare it to both musically and stylistically? I'll see it either way because I try to see everything that has good reviews/buzz, but I don't know if I should take my parents when they visit in the spring. (We already have tickets to Tootsie & Gary... three shows might be pushing it, haha.)

bwayrose7 Profile Photo
bwayrose7
#56HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 9:01pm

JudyDenmark said: "Keiichi2 said: "First time I've heard of this, but the overall excitement here has me intrigued, and thinking of looking into it for my trip next May. Is there any show that this can be compared to? Is it a funny, dark, or complex show? I will definitely have to do some investigating, and looking on Youtube for song samples, but anyone who could provide more info than what the article here announcing its opening next year would be appreciated."

Bumping this because I have the same question. Those who have seen it, what would you compare it to both musically and stylistically? I'll see it either way because I try to see everything that has good reviews/buzz,but I don't know if I should take my parents when they visit in the spring.(We already have tickets to Tootsie & Gary... three shows might be pushing it, haha.)
"

"Bluesy" is the best adjective I can think of for this one. It's definitely not a comedy, but it does have its own wit. It's not dark necessarily, more bittersweet. It's very raucous at some parts, like speakeasy jazz, but also very soft, free, traveling-guy-with-guitar stuff too. I know the show gets a lot of comparisons to Great Comet because of Rachel Chavkin and Amber Gray, but I think the main similarity between those two is that they're both very unconventional takes on old stories. 

Honestly, I'm struggling to think of another musical that Hadestown resembles - and honestly, that's why I love it.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#57HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 9:07pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "Amazing news!! I wonder if this means the GIRL FROM THE NORTH COUNTRY transfer is not happening."

Girl from the North Country not this season I heard

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/27/18 at 09:07 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#58HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 9:45pm

I wouldn’t expect this to sweep. There’ll be a sizeable portion of people who prefer the well oiled, classic musical machine of Tootsie, and Santino Fontana’s performance is being highly praised as a starmaking turn. If Oklahoma comes in, there’ll be incredible buzz around its direction and performances. We still don’t know what Kiss Me Kate will deliver, but surely some reliable performances and design. Cher Show has dazzle and spectacle. Be More Chill is present.

It’s a far busier season than people seem to be giving it credit for at this point. I don’t think Hadestown is a sure Tony bet at all at this point, other than a lock for nominations in creative categories and perhaps one or two performance ones.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Liza's Headband
#59HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 10:10pm

The hysteria on this board is... something else. 

HADESTOWN is a great show, but it's not going to "sweep." 

Many of the same people who were sorely disappointed in 2017 will experience heartbreak a second time. I say that with no joy or satisfaction -- just with confidence.

MadsonMelo
#60HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/27/18 at 10:59pm

The British boards that I read are not 100% in love with the show, I think will be great and given the competition will win some awards but all them? Don’t know.

yfs
#61HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 7:17am

Some interesting posts on the TB board from folks who loved it at NYTW and hated it at the National. I saw it in London last week -- my first-ever encounter with it -- and was mystified by all the enthusiasm on this board. What I saw was interminable, ugly, obvious, miscast and unbelievably pretentious. If this is what's coming, I'd temper my enthusiasm at least until you get a look at it. And while I don't like to predict awards, it's hard for me to picture Brooks Ashmanskas losing the best supporting actor award to Patrick Page, who spends the evening wandering the stage and displaying his basso profundo and looking bored -- assuming they end up competing against each other. 

Mike Barrett  Profile Photo
Mike Barrett
#62HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 8:02am

Ya to me Ive heard nothing but mixed since London. Im intrigued enough to buy a ticket, and in a weak Musical season this does seem like a front runner. Any word on when tickets will go on sale? 

Alex Kulak2
#63HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 8:34am

jacobsnchz14 said: "Alex Kulak2 said: "Bye Joe Iconis' and David Yazbek's Tony chances"

"

Would she? If so, that'd be awesome

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#64HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 8:45am

Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron actually won for Fun Home after Cyndi Lauper.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#65HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 9:03am

GeorgeandDot said: "Jeanine Tesori and Lisa Kron actually won for Fun Home after Cyndi Lauper."

Note that the poster above said SOLO female composer, Tesori and Kron were a team. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#66HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 9:09am

I’ve been on team Hadestown for years, and I loved the show at NYTW. Having said that, I agree with the posters who say the chances of this sweeping are lower than we’d like to think. I agree that this is shaping up to be a repeat of 2017.

Also, I haven’t seen the show in any of its incarnations except NYTW, but I saw the press reel for the NT production, and I was a little disappointed. The design choices they’ve made seem pretty odd and garish, and the physical staging doesn’t actually look very interesting. They seem to have lost some of that folksy, indie feel that made it so magical at NYTW.

NYCblurb
#67HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 9:22am

LightsOut90 said: "Your 2019 Best Musical winner is confirmed."

Really? What did you love so much about it? I found it small and interesting and cozy but not TONY material.

A lover of theater for decades. Teacher by day. Family man by night. See more theater than most, oftentimes a hesitant plus one.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#68HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 1:39pm

JBroadway said: "I’ve been on team Hadestown for years, and I loved the show at NYTW. Having said that, I agree with the posters who say the chances of this sweeping are lower than we’d like to think. I agree that this is shaping up to be a repeat of 2017.

Also, I haven’t seen the show in any of its incarnations except NYTW, but I saw the press reel for the NT production, and I was a little disappointed. The design choices they’ve made seem pretty odd and garish, and the physical staging doesn’t actually look very interesting. They seem to have lost some of that folksy, indie feel that made it so magical at NYTW.
"

Agreed to this 100%. Hadestown was my favorite show of 2016, and it looks like it's losing a little bit of magic along the way to bway. I trust Rachel Chavkin, but I struggle to think how the new material, proscenium staging, and new casting is adding to the show instead of detracting. That, along with the luke-warm London reviews, makes me nervous that by the time it shows up on Broadway it will be a completely different animal, with all of the things I loved stripped away (except for Amber Grey). That'll def impact its Tony's reception as well.

I'm crossing my fingers but I'm nervous. 

scripps Profile Photo
scripps
#69HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 3:07pm

yfs said: " And while I don't like to predict awards, it's hard for me to picture Brooks Ashmanskas losing the best supporting actor award to Patrick Page, who spends the evening wandering the stage and displaying his basso profundo and looking bored --assuming they end upcompeting against each other."

Has the committee decided if Ashmanskas is featured? I would've expected lead. 

While I saw Hadestown at NYTW and wasn't quite taken with it, I did very much like Patrick Page and Amber Gray. Given the competition, I think Page has a real shot at being nominated in the best featured actor category and taking the award home for his performance and body of work. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#70HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 4:09pm

I hope we get a complete Broadway cast recording. I've suspected and hoped that is why they didn't release the complete recording of the Off-Broadway cast even though it was recorded live if the plan was to also release a Broadway cast album later down the line.

Updated On: 11/28/18 at 04:09 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#71HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/28/18 at 4:39pm

CATSNYrevival said: "I hope we get a complete Broadway cast recording. I've suspected and hopped that iswhy they didn't release the complete recordingof the Off-Broadway casteven though it was recorded live if the plan was to also release a Broadway cast album later down the line."

I would love for a Broadway recording to be done live, as well. The mixing on the album is great.

GVS2
#72HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/30/18 at 6:13am

Hadestown is everything. When it was announced on Tuesday that it would open at the Walter Kerr Theater, I could not be more thrilled. As an Anais Mitchell and Hadestown fan through and through, my opinion is obviously biased. Having seen it at the New York Theater Workshop, at the Citadel in Edmonton last December, and this past Monday at the the National Theatre in London, I can objectively share that it has evolved into a powerfully artistic and visually stunning production. The current cast is unbelievably cohesive. Never before have I had so many chills during a visit to a theater. When tickets go on sale, I am aiming to secure a ticket for every month that I am able to. For those wondering about the reaction of those in London, I made a point to look around and eavesdrop on the way out. People were crying. People were humming and singing. There were two British women who both agreed how "lovely" the show was. As one British gentleman said at the stage door, "We British do not give standing ovations without due cause. Hadestown most certainly deserved it." I am so freaking excited to see it again in March!!!

#73HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 11/30/18 at 10:03am

With Hadestown coming in this season I could the Tonys having a very split year. With all the good word of mouth coming from Chicago about Tootsie, I could see it winning best musical and Rachel winning best director (if the show is as imaginative as people say it is)

CedricOates
#74HADESTOWN to open in March at the Walter Kerr
Posted: 12/1/18 at 1:29pm

Just by going from word of mouth and my agent; All roles for principals for HADESTOWN on Broadway have been offered to the London cast. That being said, that means there is a really good chance the Orpheus from London (who hasn’t had favorable reviews) will transfer to Broadway :/ glad an actor has work, but performance wise ....