pixeltracker

2019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs- Page 4

2019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs

MadsonMelo
#752019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:27am

- The love for HADESTOWN AND TOOTSIE, AMAZING!

- Sad to be Reeve Carney this morning, his show was nominated for everything, including all his co-stars, but he was left out lol

- They didn't love Kiss Me, Kate, right? Is this still taking Choreography?

- I thought Oklahoma! would be stronger, No Rebecca or Vail? Yikes! Take that award, Rachel!

- Ain't Too Proud got FAR TOO MANY noms, I mean, two in featured actor? a directing nom? WHAT?

- The Cher Show with basically all the noms that couldn't be denied. I was worried about Block, but now even with 3 noms, I think she wins as Leavel and Caitlin will split the votes.

- Beetlejuice in Best Musical, THE SHOCK! I can't believe! And Alex Brightman, HAHAHA he must be the happiest person today!

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#762019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:29am

I totally get BMC is not going to be the show the people voting for the TONYs would like, but still sucks to here it only get Score, which Hades is clearly going to get, if not Tootsie. Best Musical (while I hoped), I knew was a long shot, but not even Best Lighting?

Also curious if Ain’t Too Proud getting so many noms means it has more of a show for Best Musicals than everyone has thought? I mean I obviously want Hades or at least Tootsie, but Best Musical seems to be more up in the air, or really compared to last year it is.

MadsonMelo
#772019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:30am

Also, Jeremy Pope got noms on both MUSICAL and PLAY sides, has this ever happened before?

persephone88
#782019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:32am

Was really hoping Tom Glynn Carney would make it in for best supporting actor - I thought he did a fantastic job in The Ferryman. But delighted that Gideon Glick got a nom after the Significant Other snub, and thrilled that Patrick Page got nominated for Hadestown, though I think Andre deShields will win it given his long stage career. Also very happy that Boys in the Band was not overlooked since it opened so long ago, fingers crossed for Robin de Jesus. I'm sure the BMC folks are disappointed this morning - George Salazar in particular. But I am stunned that Beetlejuice got as much as it did. Really? And I was also thinking that the TKAM best play snub was a swat on the nose to Scott Rudin (and Aaron Sorkin unfortunately went down with that ship as well). 

Theatrefanboy1
#792019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:33am

I really thought that Cher would have taken that spot over ain’t too proud. And bettlejuice?!? I’m not saying that the Cher show was owed 12 nominations or anything but there were probably 8 overall that I thought they deserved

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#802019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:34am

MadsonMelo said: "Also, Jeremy Pope got noms on both MUSICAL and PLAY sides, has this ever happened before?"

I didn't even think of that, but yeah, Jeremy Pope must be freaking out rn.

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#812019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:35am

AEA AGMA SM said: "John Adams said: "I am ecstatic because of Adam Guettel's nomination for Best Original Score! I finally have something to root for!"

I know this isn’t the first time a play’s score has been nominated, but has one ever actually won the award?
"

No play nominated in the original score category has ever won, even in years with multiple plays nominated for scores. A musical has always won when the category was presented.

bigbelterbaby
#822019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:36am

I was just reading about the drama surrounding the rights for To Kill a Mockingbird last night and I think it is against Scott Rudin it wasn't nominated. It's a way to honor Christopher Sergel and his adaption.

Annette Bening didn't really deserve to be nominated. Her role has never been a standout before in previous revivals of "All My Sons" and she doesn't do anything special with it. This is a "welcome back" nomination (she hasn't been on Broadway since the 80s) where is Glenda Jackson??

Really surprised about Caitlin Kinnunen, but that 5th spot had to go to someone....

Sad Joan Allen didn't get nominated.....not that her role was a standout but they could have threw her in there...

Leslie Kritzer....2019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs they just must not like her. She's been snubbed before and this was their chance to recognize her. oh well. ew at the Beetlejuice love. Alex Brightman ? no.

I thought Stephanie Hsu and Latanya Richardson-Jackson would be nominated. Hsu as a "rising star" and Jackson for the new revised version of Calpurnia. Also Merecedes Ruehl for Torch Song. 

A little sad for Samantha Barks...but that wasn't going to happen. Also wish Network had turned out better...two Oscar winning roles on stage but Tatiana Maslany was miscast. and they didn't flesh-out the character of Louise. 

Also, I think most people feel Lilli Cooper's role is not that great, especially compared to Sarah Stiles, and Cooper is kinda miscast, but she has her fans, and it is an Oscar-winning role, so here it is. 

Hesione Hushabye thinks it tastes like ashes.

Zion24
#832019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:36am

aside from TKAM, it seems the biggest snubs are:

* Glenda Jackson

* Rebecca Naomi Jones

* Leslie Kritzer

* Joan Allen 

* George Salazar

* John Douglas Thompson

I loved Letts and Lithgow and Johnny Lee Miller but hard to think of them as being snubbed given the strength of their categories. Reeve Carney is sorta the opposite- i understand why he wasn't nominated, but that makes him the sole Hadestown performer left out .

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#842019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:37am

Someone working on Beetlejuice has Grade A blackmail on the Tony committee. I can’t believe the number of nominations, let alone the actual categories it’s in.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#852019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:39am

Y’all are acting like this was an amazing year for musicals and Beetlejuice stole nominations from much more deserving shows.

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#862019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:41am

AEA AGMA SM said: "John Adams said: "I am ecstatic because of Adam Guettel's nomination for Best Original Score! I finally have something to root for!"

I know this isn’t the first time a play’s score has been nominated, but has one ever actually won the award?
"

I don't think so, and I don't know if Guettel will be seriously considered by voters, even though he's got the nomination. Still, his presence gives me someone to cheer for. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#872019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:42am

I’m a little shocked Casey Nicolaw didn’t get in for his choreography in The Prom, but I’m thrilled Camille A. Brown got in for Choir Boy, especially after her OOTI snub last year.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#882019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:42am

Double post for Jeremy Pope’s double nomination and leading his two choreographers to get nominated. 

Updated On: 4/30/19 at 09:42 AM

treblemakerz Profile Photo
treblemakerz
#892019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:48am

Wow.

Haven't finished reading through this thread yet, but I personally gasped a few times while watching this morning.

I did NOT foresee Caitlin and Beth both being recognized. That, alongside TKAM's best play snub, was the big shocker for me.

Poor Reeve Carney. I'm among the few who really, truly adores his performance, and I'm disappointed to see he's the only Hadestown principal who was not recognized. That has to be hard.

Most thrilled for Choir Boy and Jeremy Pope. Truly the performance of the season, imo. I was afraid he would be forgotten but quite the opposite!

John Adams Profile Photo
John Adams
#902019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:48am

I wish the Tony committee had found a way to include the teachers from North Bergen High School in the Special Tony Award nominations (or perhaps the Excellence in Theatre honors).

I get that these are awards for professionals (regional, or Broadway) but the work they did on their production of Alien was inspirational. Recognition (in some way) would be equally inspirational.

Updated On: 4/30/19 at 09:48 AM

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#912019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:51am

Miles2Go2 said: "People of already pretty much touched on all the snaps and surprises.

I will say I was hoping that Corbin Bleu and Stephanie Styles would sneak in, but I knew odds were against them.

I will say the Tony awards deserve less of a slipshod nomination ceremony. And Gayle King should not ever be allowed to host that again. I felt bad for Bebe and Victor having to abide some on that inane chattering and questioning.

I also teared up every time the Waverly Gallery got a nomination.
"

Also, Robin de Jesus heart

...and lastly this,...When I dictated my BWW post above, this is how my phone transcribed “ceremony”: Sarah Moni.  So wish she’d been nominated. An absolute shutout! Lol

In other news, if I ever do drag, that’s gonna be my drag name: Sarah Moni

Madison7
#922019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:52am

I was hoping that Stephanie Styles would get a nom for best featured actress, but I am THRILLED for Ali Stroker and Caitlin Kinnunen as I didn't think Caitlin would get nominated!

Hopefully this is the year that Stephanie J Block and Celia Keenan Bolger get the Tonys that they deserve

Also happy that the Boys in the Band was not forgotten 

BeukyBaby
#932019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:53am

Re: getting a nomination for a play and a musical in the same year: Dana Ivey did it back in 1984, for Heartbreak House and Sunday In the Park With George!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#942019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 9:56am

Did Brandon Victor Dixon say "Bernhardt/Hamilton" when he was announcing Bernhardt/Hamlet's costume design nomination? Loved everyone laughing at the faux pas. 

I thought Lilli Cooper would've been up for lead actress, so to me she stole Leslie Kritzer's slot. 

I'm suddenly very nervous about the Tony ceremony this year. I know the Tonys was Les Moonves' baby, and he often had to protect it against CBS' Special Events department. If having Gayle King shoehorn her way into the nominations - and ask questions like that?! - I'm nervous.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 4/30/19 at 09:56 AM

Bobby Maler Profile Photo
Bobby Maler
#952019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 10:00am

Actually, I think Beetlejuice deserved more nominations. For Leslie Kritzer who has a bigger, more virtuosic role than Sarah Stiles (she has to dance well too!) and while I think Lilli Cooper has a great voice and provided poise and groundedness in the midst of chaos, I also think you could have stuck any other great singer up there and I wouldn't feel her absence.

I'm sorry not to see Sophia Ann Caruso nominated, but that was an incredibly tough category. I'm happy for Caitlyn. I think it would be hard to find someone better cast for her role. On the other hand, I think Sophia has so much more star power and is destined for greater things.

Moreover, I think that Alex Timbers deserved a nom over Des McAnuff who was basically using all of his old tricks from Jersey Boys. The visuals in Beetlejuice were astounding, and not just because of the design elements, the pacing was on point, no small feat for a wacky roller coaster of a show that also had real heart and surprisingly tender moments. I think he also had a hand in adapting the story and situating the Winona Rider character in the center. It takes a genius to re-create the genius of Tim Burton--and in this case, it wasnt a carbon copy. You can telll even in the design elements that the director was at work here. Timbers had a vision, which is why William Ivy Long's costumes in Beetlejuice deserved a nom but his costumes for Tootsie were shockingly bad--cheap looking with no differentiation between the costumes used in the New York City sequences when it was supposed to be the first bad "show within a show" and when it was actually supposed to be part of Michael's/Dorothy's reality. That lack of specificity is why Scott Ellis is a terrible director.

jbp1232 Profile Photo
jbp1232
#962019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 10:00am

Really happy for all the love for Hadestown, Ferryman and Gary!

The biggest shocker to me (besides Glenda Jackson, Nathan Lane, and Joan Allen) was that we got 6 nominations for Best Score in a particularly weak year for score. It looks like a tie occurred because voters were throwing darts at who to nominate for the 4th and 5th slots. 

alexidarling15
#972019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 10:02am

I'm also sad and shocked about the Patrick Vaill snub. His performance really stuck with me. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#982019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 10:02am

Beetlejuice was always going to rake in a number of nominations. It's a technically impressive and visually striking show, which made it a shoo-in for the design nominations. The other nods were largely due to thin fields. 

Chance determines so much of these nominations. Beetlejuice got lucky by entering a season with technically smaller shows and thinner competitive categories. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

After Eight
#992019 Tony Award Nominations and Snubs
Posted: 4/30/19 at 10:03am

I never expected To Kill a Mockingbird to be nominated, so I'm not surprised in the least that it was snubbed.

Really, all you have to do is understand the mentality of the chosen few who get to confer honors on their cherished pets nowadays.

Among this crowd, dogma rules the roost.

And their dogma darlings reap the rewards.

Bountifully.

What did surprise me is that they didn't nominate the biggest dogma darling of them all, and the worst thing I have ever sat through in a theatre: that odious item entitled Straight White Men.

They really dropped the ball with that one.

And I couldn't be more pleased.

Videos