pixeltracker

Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording

Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording

binau Profile Photo
binau
#1Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 10:55am

It's out in certain timezones. I've only heard the first three tracks and already I'm sure this will go down in history. I wonder if Damon should have won the Tony Award for best Actor. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#2Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 10:57am

No he shouldn't have.

I thought the singing in the theatre was for the most part completely mediocre (except for Damon and Ali Stroker) so I'm curious to hear what this recording sounds like.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 11:35am

It’ll go down in history alright. I’ll stick with the original or one of the revival recordings.

52889j
#4Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 12:12pm

qolbinau said: "It's out in certain timezones. I've only heard the first three tracks and already I'm sure this will go down in history. I wonder if Damon should have won the Tony Award for best Actor."

You mean internationally, right? Not seeing it anywhere in EST. Dying to hear it.

Updated On: 6/27/19 at 12:12 PM

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#5Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 12:45pm

<<I wonder if Damon should have won the Tony Award for best Actor. >>

Yes, Damon *should* have won the Tony! His falsetto / singing voice was 100x stronger than Santino Fontana’s!!

Just saying!!!!!!!!

EdEval
#6Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 1:19pm

NOTHING  will ever get me to replace my old, scratchy original of Oklahoma with Alfred Drake.   I don't care how politically, racially, handicapped or sexually correct the new produiction is, it won't sound better to me!

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#7Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 1:21pm

sir this is a wendy's

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#8Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 1:54pm

ShowBro said: "<>

Yes, Damon *should* have won the Tony! His falsetto / singing voice was 100x stronger than Santino Fontana’s!!

Just saying!!!!!!!!
"

A stronger falsetto doesn’t dictate a Tony win. Damon gives a charming and intense performance, but Santino delivers a star turn from start to finish, hardly ever leaving the stage, with an exhausting number of transformations. Also, his songs are not a walk in the park to sing. I was blown alway by Santino and his endless energy. 

DoTheDood Profile Photo
DoTheDood
#9Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 1:54pm

EdEval said: "NOTHING will ever get me to replace my old, scratchy original of Oklahoma with Alfred Drake. I don't care how politically, racially, handicapped or sexually correct the new produiction is, it won't sound better to me!"

So don't listen to the new one

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#10Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 2:14pm

It's not out here yet, but I can't wait! I've listened to "People Will Say We're in Love" from the OklahomaVevo YT channel an embarrassing number of times. 

And I don't get why people act like a new recording takes the place of an old one somehow? If you don't like the revival cast album - or even if you do - the other recordings still exist. 

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#11Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 2:48pm

ljay889 said: "ShowBro said: "<>

Just saying!!!!!!!!
"

A stronger falsetto doesn’t dictate a Tony win. Damon gives a charming and intenseperformance, but Santino delivers a star turn fromstart tofinish, hardly ever leaving the stage, with an exhausting number of transformations. Also, his songs are not a walk in the park to sing. I was blown alway by Santino and his endless energy.
"

If the role calls for a man to be *realistically* singing in a women’s register, I do think that their ability to do so does dictate to some degree how well they can play the part. 

When my husband and I went to go see Tootsie in previews, Santino’s voice kept cracking and breaking at various parts when he was singing as Dorothy. It was terribly uncomfortable to witness as an audience member, and after about the third time it occurred, I looked around to see if anyone else in the audience was giving side eye like myself - and they definitely  were. Also, at the end of the day, they do not give the Tony for the actor who spends the most time on stage or what you perceive as to be working the hardest (drags transformations). They give it for the overall performance and IMO Damon’s was more nuanced and much better sung!

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#12Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 2:51pm

It sounds excellent to me. Damon sounds excellent, but Santino deserved the Tony for all he is doing up on that stage 8 times a week.  

Updated On: 6/27/19 at 02:51 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#13Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 3:09pm

They also have the full or close to the full dream ballet included, which is good - I assume they have just lifted and shifted the audio from what they play in the theatre?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#14Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 3:21pm

EdEval said: "NOTHING will ever get me to replace my old, scratchy original of Oklahoma with Alfred Drake. I don't care how politically, racially, handicapped or sexually correct the new produiction is, it won't sound better to me!"

Did anyone say you had to?

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

SpookyFish13
#15Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/27/19 at 5:16pm

Really looking forward to listening to this! I have no prior exposure to Oklahoma! besides what I’ve seen in promo videos for this production, so I have no expectations for it to live up to. I’m planning on seeing it in August so i’m hoping this recording with either confirm or defer my decision haha

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#16Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 11:35am

As anyone heard the whole recording yet? It's not on my Spotify yet. 

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

spicemonkey
#17Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 11:42am

fashionguru_23 said: "As anyone heard the whole recording yet? It's not on my Spotify yet."

https://open.spotify.com/album/3JctweW8WZzHbU8gw0J8NP?si=s14anLRHSfC6M5MDlMd9RQ

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#18Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 12:00pm

Wow - loved the recording. Brought me right back to the production. I do wish that they had recorded the reprise of the title song, but I don't know how the anger would've translated on a recording.

I know she's really divided people, but one of the highlights is Rebecca Naomi Jones singing "Many a New Day" - powerful and fresh. 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

broadwayindie
#19Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 12:03pm

Fan of the high belting on the recording. Glad it is substituted instead of the cast singing in head voice.

Updated On: 6/28/19 at 12:03 PM

52889j
#20Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 2:00pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "I know she's really divided people, but one of the highlights is Rebecca Naomi Jones singing "Many a New Day" - powerful and fresh."

I still scratch my head on this one. She sounds marvelous on the recording and I love what she did on stage. Her subtlety really served the production as a whole. 

Updated On: 6/28/19 at 02:00 PM

Pose2 Profile Photo
Pose2
#21Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 3:48pm

RNJ is a star, I have loved her since American Idiot. She looks and sounds incredible in this production. People are divided on her? How strange. Perhaps they want their old Oklahoma! back.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#22Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 3:54pm

What a gorgeous recording of these stunning orchestrations and performances. Damon Daunno’s voice is almost offensively sexy.

Ledaero Profile Photo
Ledaero
#23Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 4:32pm

qolbinau said: "They also have the full or close to the full dream ballet included, which is good - I assume they have just lifted and shifted the audio from what they play in the theatre?

Yes, and I'm so happy they did. Question for those who've seen it on Broadway: When I saw the show at St. Ann's, the end of the Dream Ballet ended with the electric guitar playing the Surrey theme 8va with heavy distortion, but the cast album has moved it to violin. Do they still end it with electric guitar on Broadway or has it been shifted to strings as the cast album presents? That was my favorite orchestral moment of the entire season, and it sent shivers up my arms like nothing else.

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#24Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 4:55pm

Oh, give it a try! What have you got to lose except $9.99 at iTunes?

OKLAHOMA! is one of the best musicals ever written and the OBCR and the 1980s revival are must-have recordings. But I'm listening to the new revival recording and it merely takes the aural locale from "generalized Broadway" to country/western (while remaining true to Rodgers' score). EXACTLY what Oscar Hammerstein was trying to do with his lyrics and libretto.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#25Oklahoma! Broadway Revival Recording
Posted: 6/28/19 at 6:20pm

I've listened to the recording and am disappointed. It sounds much smoother, much "prettier" than the raw, edgy, mostly unmiked sound I experienced in the theater. Almost airbrushed.