pixeltracker

Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?- Page 2

Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?

InTheBathroom1
#25Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 2:37pm

I see actors everywhere in the city but one of the more random places was seeing Joe Iconis at a Starbucks in St. Louis.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#26Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 2:44pm

I wasn’t planning to tell a specific story, but I thought of one that I think is kind of funny:

One time I was on the Tube platform in London, and I noticed Elizabeth McGovern (from Downton Abbey) on the platform with me. I decided not to approach her, but I saw this young woman go up to her. I assumed she was going to tell her she was a fan or something, but the young woman just asked McGovern for directions, and McGovern very kindly pointed her to the correct train platform. She seemed to have no idea she was speaking to a TV star!

A part of me wonders if famous actors are grateful for those kinds of ordinary interactions with strangers.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#27Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 3:25pm

There are a lot of TV shows filmed in Vancouver, so you can often see actors. Sometimes you can watch things being filmed, like a couple years ago I was going out to a club ay about 11pm & a bunch of streets were blocked off nearby. Turned out they were filming that X-files reboot, so I saw I David Duchovny.
But my most memorable experience was driving downtown in the winter near a notoriously bad intersection. There are 2 lanes that can turn right on a green arrow, but pedestrians don't always realize that their walk signal is delayed. I was about to turn right & some guy walking jumps out into the crosswalk. I hit my brakes, & he gives me a dirty look. Suddenly I recognized him, & realized I almost ran down Neal Patrick Harris! He was here filming that Lemony Snicket Netflix series.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#28Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 3:43pm

I have quite a few of these stories that I’ll have to sit down later and recollect, but two incidences happened yesterday.

While my mom and I were sitting near the Circle In The Square after walking around before our show, Ali Stroker came rolling by in her wheelchair. My mom actually noticed her before I did, but she was talking on the phone through AirPods so I didn’t bother to approach.

Then, as we walked toward “The Prom” (our show for the night), we walked by Angie Schworer heading in, and I told her to break a leg and she thanked me.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#29Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 4:41pm

Back when The Riviera was still around in the West Village we went there on a Sunday to watch a Patriot's football game. . We were at a 3 top and a well known TV star asked if he could sit at the 3rd seat.  He was there to watch his team (Steelers) who were on the next TV. The Riv was a pretty good Boston bar, but they had enough TVs that they showed every game on Sundays.  We invited him to join us as good sports fans would.  My wife wasn't 100% sure it was him but googled him and his fandom was mentioned on his Wiki page. 

He gave us crap for being Pats' fans, we gave him crap for being a Steelers' fan, and we never once mentioned what we did or anything else.  Both teams won that day so everyone left happy

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#30Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 5:39pm

dramamama611 said: "Except being famous because of bway isnt really the same as being Hollywood famous. The can often lead uninterrupted lives easily.

And, to be fair, NYers are a lot less into the whole...gah! A famous person, squee! than you might think.
"

Exactly. When I lived in Manhattan it was considered the height of "uncool" to acknowledge any celebrity outside of a work situation.

I was a big fan of the WALTONS and Richard Thomas and I ran into him at the NY School of Dance (his parents owned it). He was helping out at the front desk, answering phones, etc. I was so surprised to see him working the counter that I grabbed the nearest door knob... and walked into a broom closet! Mr. Thomas was trying to control his laughter when I reemerged and found the exit.

A less embarrassing example: when SEINFELD was at its height, my daughter brought her fiancé (now husband) out to meet us and we went to dinner at a well-known deli-restaurant only to encounter Jerry Seinfeld, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Michael Richards and Jason Alexander seated together at one of the front booths. (I think it was some sort of press thing; I doubt the four went out often as a quartet.) It was very, very big deal to our future son-in-law.

But Dmama is right: if you live in NYC, these are daily encounters. In Hollywood it's a little less common because people are in cars rather than on foot, but even out here it's common enough to be no big deal. I once went to a Billy Crystal movie only to find him outside afterwards waiting for everyone at the showing to speak to him; this was just the Santa Monica multiplex and NOT a special industry showing.

I've only broken the NY Code and spoken to an actor or actress when I had seen them give what I thought was a phenomenal performance (usually in a theater) and they were NOT so famous I thought they would be bored by more praise. In each and every case, the actor to whom I spoke was lovely, gracious and only wanted to talk about ME! If I were that interesting, they would have been stopping me in the first place, but I appreciate the lovely manners of most actors.

Updated On: 7/25/19 at 05:39 PM

darreyl102 Profile Photo
darreyl102
#31Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 5:54pm

Not so much Broadway related but still funny: the actor, Terrence Howard almost hit me with his car by accident. It was in the Hollywood area right after Michael Jackson had passed away. It was my first time in LA and I was scouting out famous houses and had just left Michael's house and was crossing the street when he skip to stop sign and nearly hit me. Lol. He didn't say anything to me, and I just kept walking to get my parents car, quickly. Lolzz

Darreyl with an L!

romain2
#32Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 6:44pm

Don’t live in NYC but see at least one celebrity when visiting.

Bradley Cooper with friends at the Central Park Zoo (before he became REALLY famous—I knew him from Kitchen Confidential and Wet Hot American Summer)

Richard Kind buying a salad in Choppd

Mare Winningham crossing a street

Michael Stuhlbarg on the train

George Takei near Central Park with his husband

Russell Harvard walking his dog

Alex Kulak2
#33Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 7:20pm

My friends saw Ethan Slater on the Subway once

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#34Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 7:43pm

Of course, you often see Broadway actors walking near the theater district. Rachel Bay Jones (when she was in Pippin) walked on her way to work by as I was waiting to get into The Great Comet. A couple or three other stories come to mind...

One night I was walking near Times Square. As I recall it might’ve been next to red stairs and passed Christian Borle. I believe I nodded to indicate my recognition and I think he reciprocated.

I was eating a late lunch in a sushi restaurant in the village or soho when Daniel Radcliffe and his girlfriend came in and sat three tables away from me.

Not a broadway actor as far as I recall, but on my way into see The Ferryman, a young woman ran up to a man and said, “Are you famous, what’s your name?”. He said something to affect of “yeah, my name is Dylan.” It was Dylan McDermott. To his credit he wasn’t rude about it. He just moved on after the rude young woman ran off. BTW, he’s even hotter in person.

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#35Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 7:57pm

I’ve seen plenty of celebs but one really sticks out to me...

A few years ago, my boyfriend and I were getting on the subway and this woman passed us. He said that it was Jennifer Nettles and was freaking out because she is his favorite. We were waiting for the train, standing right behind her and he told me to say something to her because he couldn’t. I looked at her, didn’t think it was her but he kept insisting it was. I said to her “excuse me...” she turns and I realize it actually is her and literally said “oh my god, it is you” and she laughed. We ended up getting on the train together, taking a picture and she talked to us until we got off. Couldn’t have been more lovely.

broadwayindie
#36Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 8:08pm

My last two trips to NYC saw Groban at Marie's Crisis and Andrea Martin at Lincoln Center buying tickets to an off-bway show.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#37Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 9:14pm

I saw Ben Platt at  Panda Express on 46th St.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#38Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 10:04pm

Ben Platt came to my NYMF show a few years ago. The producers were all pumped about it- but it turns out he's related to our leading man, not scoping out a new project.

In general, from my experience and the experiences of others, the only way to do these interactions gracefully is to not engage unless you have something unique and respectful to say. They've so used to hearing people are their fans, they loved them in BIG PROJECT X and BIG SHOW Y. It goes in one ear and out the other, you might as well be saying "Wazzupp!"

When I met Paige Davis, I chatted briefly with her about her experience playing the title role in "An Act of God" and how a part that is gender-neutral on paper but pretty clearly written as a gay man plays in the mouth of a woman. She enjoyed our chat so much she added me to her entourage for the evening, and we still talk now and then.

When I ran into Todd Rundgren on the street, I told him "Something to Fall Back On" was one of the greatest pure pop songs ever written, which led to a nice little discussion of that underappreciated era in his career. Major artists don't want to be worshipped, they want to be respected if not left alone. Most people confuse the latter for the former.

MollyJeanneMusic
#39Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 11:16pm

Looked around during intermission at Hadestown and saw Paul Wontorek.  Very nice, had a conversation with him and got a picture.

Also, when we were waiting to go into Waitress, Gavin Creel had to squeeze through the line, and he said "excuse me" to my mom. :)

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Danielle49
#40Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 11:29pm

Living in New York, you’re bound to see a ton of famous folks around. I’ve seen a few theater actors around town. I saw Will Roland off of my subway stop. A while back when Ben Platt was still playing Evan Hansen, I saw Joel Grey during intermission. I held my breath and nodded at him. Then once—this is very embarrassing—I was at my retail gig and I looked up while at the register and saw Katrina Lenk. I forgot how to talk to people and immediately went “oh my gosh, you’re amazing”—and nothing else. Like a crazy person. She was very sweet but I felt like such an idiot afterward.

Updated On: 7/25/19 at 11:29 PM

hairspraydude1962
#41Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/25/19 at 11:53pm

Roger Rees, Annie Funke, Brad Oscar, Karen Mason, Ramin Karimloo, Scott Adsit, Graham Norton, Michael Musto, Adam Kantor, Lon Hoyt, Bill Pullman, Matthew Broderick, Gary "Baba Booey" Dell'Abate . . . 

Just a few of the people I've randomly seen in and around NYC.

bwaylvsong
#42Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/26/19 at 12:02am

Being an actor and having dabbled in other areas of the industry makes this very common for me despite the fact that I SUCK at recognizing people out of context. Here are a few off the top of my head:
I’ve been alone in an elevator with Norm Lewis
I’ve also been in an elevator with Hunter Foster
I’ve auditioned in front of Joel Grey and Anthony Rapp
I once saw Vanessa Williams in a rehearsal studio
Hank Azaria saw a show I was in at least twice
When I was a TodayTix concierge, I got Michael Arden and Ann Harada as customers several times. Also once got Santino Fontana.
When I was working as a merchandise seller, a nice British lady came up to me during intermission and struck up a conversation about how poorly behaved the audience was. After the interaction, the bartender stationed next to me informed me that I had been chatting with Tracey Ullman.

TBone Profile Photo
TBone
#43Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/26/19 at 1:46am

I literally bumped into Jessie Mueller in Epcot.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#44Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/26/19 at 1:24pm

"I literally bumped into Jessie Mueller in Epcot."

I did the same thing with Gavin Lee but it was not that big a surprise, he was performing that week for "Disney On Broadway" last January.

BroadwayNoob
#45Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/26/19 at 1:41pm

I’ve run into Daveed Diggs and Joe Iconis on the street in NYC when I was walking to a theater to see a show. One time I was with my mom and we were eating in a random greek diner one night of BroadwayCon and we keep looking over at this man sitting at another table because he looks super familiar. We head back to BroadwayCon to see the Charlie Brown reunion panel and the same guy is up on stage, and we realize it’s Roger Bart

kade.ivy Profile Photo
kade.ivy
#47Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/26/19 at 10:21pm

Don’t have any cool stories, but I can add to the list of sightings.

I’ve seen F. Murray Abraham, Laura Dreyfuss, and Kate Baldwin walking around the theater district when they’ve been in shows, so that’s not too surprising.

Skylar Astin and Anna Camp (RIP that marriage) sat behind me at Dear Evan Hansen. I whispered to Astin that I was fans of each of them but didn’t want to cause a scene. He whispered, “Thank you.”

Lynn Athens and Michael Greif were both at the performance of Iceman Cometh I attended last year. I also saw Sarah Stiles at My Fair Lady.

The most memorable interaction was when I shared a flight from NYC to Nashville with Laura Benanti (when she was still guesting on that show). I saw her in the waiting area, yelled “Hi Laura Benanti; I’m a big fan!” She waved and said “Thank you.” That’s all I expected, but she made a point to say goodbye when she boarded the plane and after we landed in Nashville. Very sweet.

WestCoastActor/Director Profile Photo
WestCoastActor/Director
#48Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/27/19 at 2:45am

I usually know people in several shows on Broadway at any given time and see actors all over.  There was one time where everyone seemed to be on 8th Ave.   Jay Armstrong Johnson, Condola Rashad, George Takei, Matthew James Thomas having tea in a window table at a restaurant.  The sun was bright in my eyes so I had my head down a bit and a massive chest is in my path.  I looked up and it was Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan (and no one seemed to notice them.)

On my last trip to New York I had seen a show and talked to one of the cast members I knew afterwards.  I walked down the next block.  The only cast member signing programs was a principal I know.   When I said hello he thought I'd been back to see his show.  I had to say it was just a random occurrence that I was passing by and there he was.

One time I was at a book store and looking at the magazines was Jonathan Pryce.

At the airport heading back to the West Coast a couple teens with our party started freaking out and one ran up to a guy.  It was Josh Hutcherson (not a Bwy actor but).   I wouldn't have recognized him.  He was trying to get bumped up to first class but there were no seats.  I was standing off by myself and he came and stood right next to me.  There was tons of empty space so I thought that was odd.  He left and came back and stood next to me again.   I didn't want to intrude and figured if he wanted to say something I'd be glad to chat.  A woman came up and said she was background on one of his films.  Then she left.   He never did get upgraded to First class and had to sit in the Main cabin.  No one seemed to notice him.  He was seated next to a pretty young girl.  I notice while people were standing waiting to deplane she wasn't even looking at him.  Maybe he only has conversations if someone else starts them. 

seriously13
#49Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 7/27/19 at 6:18am

Too many celebrity sightings to list. Most recently: Jonathan Groff, wearing a baseball cap and sitting outside in a restaurant in Chelsea (my Glee- and Hamilton-loving daughter was the one who noticed him). Very low key and adorable! We did not approach him or try to sneak a picture, but we did turn around and walk by the restaurant again to make sure it was him!

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#50Has anyone recognized actors anywhere but a show?
Posted: 8/1/19 at 12:54am

Seeing other actors or celebrities at shows they're not performing in is pretty common.  For me, Joan Rivers at "The Goat..." and then again at "Act One," Audra McDonald at "Assassins," Hillary Rodham Clinton at "The History Boys," Jerry Ohrbach sitting behind me at "Frankie and Johnny.. (2002)", Nathan Lane sitting behind me at "Dinner at Eight," (and another time walking down 44th St on  his way to host a tribute to Angela Lansbury), Liza at the 1995 revival of "Hello, Dolly!," Elaine Stritch at "Follies," a TV actor whose name I don't remember (he played in Sisters) sitting behind me at Circle in the Square, Steven Sondheim directly across the aisle from me at "Juno and the Paycock" at the Grammercy, Hal Prince (RIP) at "Souvenir," Jerry Stiller at "November," Steve Allen and Jayne Meadows, and also Christopher Lawford, at different shows both at the Plymouth, Betty Comden and Adolph Green at a revival of their "Bells are Ringing," Phyllis Newman sitting directly behind me on closing night of "High Fidelity," and others who I can't immediately recall.  

Many actors at different eateries in the theater district. There was a casual restaurant/diner on 8th Ave called Starstruck that's since closed.  Many performers would pop in there for a meal, either take-out or eat-in.

When I was in grad school in the Village I would see Michael Cerveris walking his dog in Union Square frequently.  I also remember literally bumping into Diana Rigg in Central Park when she was doing Medea.  I was very apologetic and she was very gracious.  Sarah Jessica Parker at a coffee shop on the UWS,  Stephen Baldwin at a parking garage on W 11th.  Richard Thomas at the next table while dining at O'Neal's,  Victor Garber and Scott Ellis up in Provincetown one summer after Garber concluded his run in Art.  Laura Benanti in the car next to me at a stop light on Rt 23 in New Jersey.  Her parents live two towns north of me.  There are others that I don't immediately recall.

Updated On: 8/4/19 at 12:54 AM