pixeltracker

The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss

The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 3:38pm

I haven’t seen it and probably won’t while it’s still at the theatre. This seemed like it would be a financial mess from the get go and I’m really not sure why they decided to push back Wicked in favor of this film. I wonder what the odds are of Wicked being pushed back even further due to this...

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 3:40pm

This has to be considered one of the biggest flops of all time. Let's see how many Razzies this wins.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#3The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 4:03pm

Musical movies have been doing pretty well in the last ten years. One flop won't shelve projects. 

...it'll just shelve Hooper's career, and it should. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Joviedamian
#4The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 4:53pm

" it'll just shelve Hooper's career, and it should."

I bet Hooper will still make non-musical drama's--as that is what he is good at or it might go the Chris Columbus route like he did after RENT.

Updated On: 12/30/19 at 04:53 PM

FindingNamo
#5The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 4:57pm

Sarah McClachlan should raise money for it. 

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SouthernCakes
#6The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 5:02pm

Hooper has ruined 2 musical movies. Please stop.

I’d love to see Sam Mendes direct a movie musical.

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#7The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 5:19pm

I would definitely say that the failure of Cats will only further delay Wicked(which already seemed to be in a deep coma)

JSquared2
#8The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 5:34pm

aliceripleyofficial said: "I would definitely say that the failure of Cats will only further delay Wicked(which already seemed to be in a deep coma)"

Nonsense.

aliceripleyofficial Profile Photo
aliceripleyofficial
#9The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 5:57pm

JSquared2 said: "aliceripleyofficial said: "I would definitely say that the failure of Cats will only further delay Wicked(which already seemed to be in a deep coma)"

Nonsense.

You still counting on 12/22/21 release date babe? Especially after Universal lost this much on a musical? Idts...

Jarethan
#10The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 7:00pm

I have never understood why anyone would have EVER considered making a movie of CATS.  To me, this had disaster written all over it once they announced that it would not be animated.  (Note: I am not sure it would have fared any better with animation, but it would not have been so stupid a concept).

On the other hand, Wicked sounds to me like the perfect subject for a big-budget movie.  Great story, better music overall, two great leading roles, with a few potential other good roles.  The only reason why CATS' failure might impact Wicked is if it is the same studio (per prior post) has financial issues as a result of the dismal CATS business.

Tom5
#11The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 7:09pm

I agree about Wicked. It's adaptable for a large format motion picture with an easily discernible story and an excellent score to start with. There is no clear story for CATS and with the exception of one good (but not great) song nothing of particular interest to the general public.

Impossible2
#12The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 7:29pm

ACL2006 said: "This has to be considered one of the biggest flops of all time."

Not even close.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#13The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 7:38pm

Really, they had to try, just as they had to try with Phantom (a dreary nothing of a picture which now might end up looking perfectly adequate in comparison to this atrocity). The show is one of the biggest hits of all time, and even if only the people who love the show went to see this movie once just because they had to see for themselves, it would have returned some major bucks. So never making a movie of Cats just wasn't an option.

Doesn't make the finished product worth anyone's time, but there was just no way it wasn't going to get made, and made while ALW was around to green-light it (and thus for the resulting film to have that stamp of approval). It's VERY easy to see why this was made before Wicked. For reasons that have nothing to do with art, or even entertainment. 

Alex Kulak2
#15The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 8:06pm

If it loses that much money, it'll be the 12th biggest box office bomb in history. 

jimmycurry01
#16The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 8:14pm

SouthernCakes said: "Hooper has ruined 2 musical movies. Please stop.

I’d love to see Sam Mendes direct a movie musical.
"

Ruined? Really? Les Miserables was a huge box office success, it was nominated for a huge number of awards, not only Academy Awards, but also in the guilds, and had generally favorable word-of-mouth. Just because you didn't like doesn't mean he ruined it. Unlike Cats, it was a success in every measurable way.

MollyJeanneMusic
#17The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 8:28pm

I know this isn't the only reason for this news, but can someone tell movie companies to stop releasing movies on the day of big blockbusters (Star Wars, Marvel, etc)?  It's getting old to always have to wonder if a movie could have done better if it wasn't pitted against a highly anticipated series.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

jimmycurry01
#18The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 8:32pm

MollyJeanneMusic said: "I know this isn't the only reason for this news, but can someone tell movie companies to stop releasing movies on the day of big blockbusters (Star Wars, Marvel, etc)? It's getting old to always have to wonder if a movie could have done better if it wasn't pitted against a highly anticipated series."

This isn't a decision that is made lightly. Release dates are carefully planned and all data is analyzed before a release date is announced. The choice to release Cats the same weekend as Star Wars was not an accident. Thought was put into that decision. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#19The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 9:16pm

I wonder where this leaves 'Sunset Boulevard' ? That was supposed to start filming a few months ago, and nothing has been updated since March / April of this year. 

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#20The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 10:01pm

SouthernCakes said: "I’d love to see Sam Mendes direct a movie musical."

I think, with his experience directing musicals on stage and warm films, he could make an excellent MISS SAIGON film.

In 2020 we have IN THE HEIGHTS, THE PROM, and WEST SIDE STORY, so I don't think an end to movie musicals is coming too soon. Plus, the ever-talked-about WICKED adaptation could be in the next few years.

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

HanonO
#21The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 10:31pm

"MollyJeanneMusic said: "I know this isn't the only reason for this news, but can someone tell movie companies to stop releasing movies on the day of big blockbusters (Star Wars, Marvel, etc)? It's getting old to always have to wonder if a movie could have done better if it wasn't pitted against a highly anticipated series."

I'm curious if the triangulation on this was "The audiences for Star Wars and Cats won't overlap at all, there's something for everyone!" 

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#22The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 11:06pm

This isn't a decision that is made lightly. Release dates are carefully planned and all data is analyzed before a release date is announced. The choice to release Cats the same weekend as Star Wars was not an accident. Thought was put into that decision.

For those w more interest I'd like to recommend a book called "The Gross" by Peter Bart. It's 10 years old but goes into a lot of detail about films during the summer of 1998. It's very reminiscent of  Goldman's "The Season" w lots of interviews w many of the players at that time.  There is a section ( tho I can't find it that easily) that deals w the release date and esp which ones are most desired and the competitions for them.

I suspect they thought CATS would play well against  Skywalker Rising thinking that the demographics wouldn't overlap and they'd benefit from a more sophisticated mature crowd who would want an alternative to a  space opera  comic book.  To quote Pretty Woman " BIIIG Mistake!"

SouthernCakes
#23The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/30/19 at 11:34pm

Did it do that poorly internationally?

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#24The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/31/19 at 12:06am

13.6 million from 38 foreign territories as per Variety 

VintageSnarker
#25The Cats film will suffer a 100 million dollar loss
Posted: 12/31/19 at 8:36am

Kad said: "Musical movies have been doing pretty well in the last ten years. One flop won't shelve projects.

...it'll just shelve Hooper's career, and it should.
"

Yes, please.