pixeltracker

The Minutes Preview Thread- Page 5

The Minutes Preview Thread

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#100The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 3/9/20 at 7:03am

Wow! That is QUITE the change! Not sure how I feel about it as I LOVED the ending when I saw the first preview.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Michelle chouraqui
#101The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 3/9/20 at 10:46am

VotePeron said: "For anyone who saw the first week of previews, you're in luck. They've cut about 30 seconds off the finale -

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
The show now ends with the first little dance led by Tracy, followed by Armie returning,and the circle of blood acceptance/screaming. Armie is then onlyoffered the blood, with Tracy saying "Here is your future." Armie contemplates taking it - blackout.

The show used to thencontinue, with Armie taking the blood, smearing it on his face while yelling, before Jessie gave a big call to arms and led the group in a more advanced tribal dance. They chanted before gathering down stage center and screaming.

I know they did it to make it easier for audiences to swallow, butdamn, do I miss the rest of the ending. Why leave the blood offering to Armie as a cliff hanger, if he's already returned and we know he's going to take it? The tribal dance was so fun, too, with the thumping music and chant.

"

This is crazy!  

Its so funny because I swore that Armie Hammer was not into the ending.  I mean, obviously his character was supposed to be in a moral dilemma, but it felt more than that.  He looked physically uncomfortable with it.  Anyone else think this?  Maybe just great acting?  But now that it is changed, it has me wondering...  I liked the ending, but I did feel like the second dance pushed it a bit.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#102The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 3/10/20 at 2:59pm

Michelle chouraqui said: "VotePeron said: "For anyone who saw the first week of previews, you're in luck. They've cut about 30 seconds off the finale -

"

This is crazy!

"

I sensed the same thing slightly about Hammer. Not sure how I feel about the change. My issue with the ending wasn’t the conclusion of the ending, but the lack of transition into the last few minutes. I know there are omens throughout, but the shift felt too sudden. I do usually like ambiguous endings though. Still glad I can say I saw the original ending. I’m curious what other changes will be made throughout previews. I’d imagine it’ll be frozen soon? Reviews for this should be interesting. Can’t really predict how they’ll fall. 

chrishuyen
#103The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 3/10/20 at 10:33pm

I'm definitely in the underwhelmed camp, and I think most of my thoughts align pretty closely with that of Zion's.  I had been loosely following this thread and skipping over any mentions of spoilers or the ending, but I'm really quite shocked rereading it at how well received it was.  I don't even think the ending is that shocking (though it is somewhat abrupt - almost too much so for me to think it's intentional), but it's more that the point seems to be expressed with such heavy-handedness that it makes me wonder why I spent 90 minutes watching the play.

I think my main issue was that I never felt quite invested in the characters or where the story was going.  You get a few hints early on that there's something strange afoot and I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it seemed more like it got caught on something on the way down and landed softly.  The beginning is entertaining enough, though I feel like it often falls under the category of "amusing but not quite funny" (though I did laugh quite a few times, and many of those times due to Austin Pendleton).  Much of the first third I seemed to me to almost be stalling for time and I'm honestly confused what Letts was trying to portray with it (a dysfunctional council that squabbles over everything? I expected that going in.  Some revelations about each character? Maybe, but that seems generous.)

I can almost understand why people might like it, but it seems to be a very pale imitation of what this play could be, like a light outline of a much more vibrant picture.  I didn't think that the overall message of the play was necessarily something new or noteworthy either, and I'm honestly a little baffled this became a Pulitzer Prize finalist (though I wonder how much it's changed since then).  One of my friends mentioned how she had liked Slave Play and What the Constitution Means to Me, but as a liberal millennial, she felt they imparted no new knowledge, whereas I felt that the experience of sitting through those did seem to add more layer and depth to the conversation.  I really just didn't feel any of that here, but I wish I did.

Also for those interested in seating, I got TDF tickets for Orchestra L 9-15, which is house right, full view.  It's nice to be far enough back in the orchestra to see the reactions of the ensemble members as another person is speaking, which I thought was occasionally more interesting than the dialogue itself.  Also it bears saying that Jessie Mueller was out today but I thought Caroline Neff was quite good in her role (as good as she could in such a small part anyway).  

Alex10
#104The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 3/13/20 at 4:35pm

So since this show is probably gone and I was DESPERATELY curious about the ending, does anyone want to PM it to me? I’d be super grateful, thanks!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#105The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/22 at 12:01am

The time has come once again.

Tracy Letts’s new play The Minutes resumes previews tomorrow night, at a new house and with a new star. Opening night is set for April 17 at Studio 54, and the show will play a limited engagement through July 24. Noah Reid replaces Armie Hammer as Mr. Peel; rounding out the principal cast are Ian Barford, Blair Brown, Cliff Chamberlain, K. Todd Freeman, Tracy Letts, Danny McCarthy, Jessie Mueller, Sally Murphy, Austin Pendleton, and Jeff Still. The Minutes is directed by Anna D. Shapiro.

“This record-breaking hit from the award-winning Steppenwolf Theatre follows the inner-workings of a city council meeting in the small town of Big Cherry – and the hypocrisy, greed, ambition, and devious doings that ensue. This electrically charged and sharply funny play proves that everything you know can change – it’s just a matter of minutes.”

Who’s going?

Oh look, a bibu!

bwayphreak234
#106The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/1/22 at 7:34am

I am SO happy this play is coming back. I thought it was absolutely brilliant when I saw it at the Cort shortly before the shutdown. I can't recommend this one highly enough, folks!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#107The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/2/22 at 10:13pm

Did anyone go tonight? Running time is 90 minutes, no intermission. 

Oh look, a bibu!

OffOnBwayHi
#108The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/3/22 at 8:39pm

I went! Loved it! Still thinking about it.

Now I wish I saw Armie is the role, for various reasons.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#109The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/22 at 1:49pm

I went yesterday afternoon. Worth the wait. Impossible to discuss the reasons why this piece provokes so much discussion (I already hear, "the play will be divisive"The Minutes Preview Thread without spoilers, so I'll say only: I found it in every way riveting, its startling gear shifts fresh, potent and appropriately open to subjective responses, both in terms of what happens in the story and what the audience takes away thematically. Noah Reid, as the baffled common counsel interloper and de facto protagonist was an inspired replacement for Hammer. His natural warmth provides welcoming access to a canvas filled with veiled secret keepers. Letts has crafted a subversive fable that offers sneaky homage to, of all people, Shirley Jackson; like that other master, Letts trusts both his tale and his audience. Terrific company, evocative designs, and (to my surprise) even a nice fit in 54. How available? I got third row center orchestra seats on TDF.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#110The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/7/22 at 11:24pm

I'm thinking of getting a ticket for this weekend, but am wondering about the view along the far side at Studio 54. How partial would it be sitting something like C12?

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#111The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/9/22 at 11:37pm

Oof. I’ve been anticipating this the before times and finally saw it this afternoon and I think I hated it. There were a few moments, but I didn’t feel like the cast really had a chance to shine. It posed some interesting ideas and could have been a good conversation piece, but I just thought it was a mess.

bwayphreak234
#112The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 7:58am

mattmarkowski99 said: "I'm thinking of getting a ticket for this weekend, but am wondering about the view along the far side at Studio 54. How partial would it be sitting something like C12?"

I would avoid the far sides for this/ anything labeled partial view. It is just the one set, but whenever someone is talking who is seated on a far side, they could be blocked from view.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#113The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/10/22 at 8:17am

n2nbaby said: "Oof. I’ve been anticipating this the before times and finally saw it this afternoon and I think I hated it. There were a few moments, but I didn’t feel like the cast really had a chance to shine. It posed some interesting ideas and could have been a good conversation piece, but I just thought it was a mess."

whoops sorry wrong thread.

Updated On: 4/10/22 at 08:17 AM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#114The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/12/22 at 11:42pm

I was unable to see this before the shutdown and it was tops on my list of plays I wanted to see.

Finally saw it tonight. I most definitely didn't dislike it but I left the theater a bit confused. Maybe it just has to sit on my mind for a bit.

The performances were all very good but I was out to lunch on the direction. I have 3 thoughts on the ending. I wasn't crazy about the way things shifted at the end. Although I love how very tension filled it got in the second half. Again, I think I need to sit on it and think about it a bit. But I do say that if you have any interest in seeing it, do so. I would actually see it again.

I can see the play possibly getting nominated for the Tony. I do hope Austin Pendleton gets nominated for supporting actor. I have liked him for many years on TV. Finally got to see him onstage in "Choir Boy". He nails it in this play. 

JMO

Just give the world Love.

kwoc91
#115The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/13/22 at 9:40am

uncageg said: "Finally saw it tonight. I most definitely didn't dislike it but I left the theater a bit confused. Maybe it just has to sit on my mind for a bit."

I was there last night as well and feel the same exact way. Or, should I say, I don't really know how I feel about it. 

As I was leaving the theater, the word I picked up on most from other patrons was "preachy" and I can see how this play now feels quite preachy in 2022. 

I'm considering seeing it again to see if I can pick up on more subtleties, now that I know how the plot progresses. 

Finally, I will say this - give Austin Pendleton a Tony nomination!! One of the funniest performances I've seen this season.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#116The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/13/22 at 4:51pm

kwoc91 said: "uncageg said: "Finally saw it tonight. I most definitely didn't dislike it but I left the theater a bit confused. Maybe it just has to sit on my mind for a bit."

I was there last night as well and feel the same exact way. Or, should I say, I don't really know how I feel about it.

As I was leaving the theater, the word I picked up on most from other patrons was "preachy" and I can see how this play now feels quite preachy in 2022.

I'm considering seeing it again to see if I can pick up on more subtleties, now that I know how the plot progresses.

Finally, I will say this - give Austin Pendleton a Tony nomination!! One of the funniest performances I've seen this season."

Interesting you mention that. I was walking behind two women outside of the theater and they used the word "preachy" also. My immediate thought was that I didn't get that from the play. But now that you mentioned this, I can see where some of it was. I am still sorting it though!

Also, I was sitting in the last row of the front mezz. Lost just a little bit of dialogue before they all sat down and used the mics. It got better after that when they were moving around. I noticed a floor mic at the edge of the stage so maybe they adjusted it.

kwoc91
#117The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/13/22 at 6:07pm

uncageg said: Also, I was sitting in the last row of the front mezz. Lost just a little bit of dialogue before they all sat down and used the mics. It got better after that when they were moving around. I noticed a floor mic at the edge of the stage so maybe they adjusted it."

I also in the last row of the front mezz - maybe we were sitting next to each other! lol

Agree that some dialogue got lost in the beginning but that it improved over time.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#118The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/13/22 at 7:48pm

kwoc91 said: "uncageg said:Also, I was sitting in the last row of the front mezz. Lost just a little bit of dialogue before they all sat down and used the mics. It got better after that when they were moving around. I noticed a floor mic at the edge of the stage so maybe they adjusted it."

I also in the last row of the front mezz - maybe we were sitting next to each other! lol

Agree that some dialogue got lost in the beginning but that it improved over time.
"

Were you sitting house left?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#119The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 10:11pm

Saw this tonight and I’m gonna have to sit with this one for a while. I think I really did enjoy it. Definitely not what I expected, but in a good way. Uniformly strong performances - I hope Austin Pendleton get a Tony nomination - and a very intriguing script. I had heard two years ago it had a surprise ending so that’s when I decided to not read anything at all about the play which was HARD for two years!! But I’m very glad I managed to avoid the spoilers. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#120The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/16/22 at 11:26pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Saw this tonight and I’m gonna have to sit with this one for a while. I think I really did enjoy it. Definitely not what I expected, but in a good way. Uniformly strong performances - I hope Austin Pendleton get a Tony nomination - and a very intriguing script. I had heard two years ago it had a surprise ending so that’s when I decided to not read anything at all about the play which was HARD for two years!! But I’m very glad I managed to avoid the spoilers."

There was a post here that gave part of the ending away. I accidentally read it and was really upset. (Looks like it is gone now). So I sat in the theater waiting for it but the show went to a place I wasn't expecting and that "spoiler" didn't pan out the way I thought it was going to. So the ending still left me shocked.

I too had to sit with it for a while. I was unsure about something so I went through the thread and read the spoilers. My question was answered and then I realized just how messed up things were. My mind just kind of  went "whoa!" and thoughts and questions started flooding it. I have to admit that the spoiler I read was on my mind and I was trying to figure it out a bit while watching so It may have taken my mind out of it a bit, Which annoys me(!), but I enjoyed it and may return.

mbusani14
#121The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 4/21/22 at 10:36am

Has anyone done digital rush through TodayTix? How are the seats?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#122The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 5/3/22 at 3:17pm

mbusani14 said: "Has anyone done digital rush through TodayTix? How are the seats?"

Bumping to see if there are any reports on TT rush seat locations.

thesmash
#123The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 5/3/22 at 6:44pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "mbusani14 said: "Has anyone done digital rush through TodayTix? How are the seats?"

Bumping to see if there are any reports on TT rush seat locations.
"

Just got seated for mine. Dead center rear orchestra in row m. Fantastic seats for the money.

JasonC3
#124The Minutes Preview Thread
Posted: 5/6/22 at 10:51am

Just posted a front row mezzanine aisle seat for sale for Sunday, May 8, 3 pm, on the Buy/Sell board.

Videos