pixeltracker

Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer- Page 2

Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#25Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 12:06pm

Exactly! I've already started making my purchases for seeing Fun Home and The Secret Garden in Sydney. I COULD end up stuck and bored there, but I'd be stuck and bored in a cool place with some TV shows I have never seen before.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Pashacar
#26Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 12:09pm

A related question: What kind of insurance, if any, do producers have for losses in the cases of pandemics (or earthquakes, bad storms, etc.)?

ellbellthomps
#27Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 12:21pm

I don't think anything would be adjusted. 

There's not enough traffic for Broadway shows (esp. new ones) from non-english speakers (aka where the outbreaks mostly are) for this to really set them behind. And, I don't think the average theater-goer will think too hard about this. 

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#28Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 2:09pm

LizzieCurry said: "I'm still planning an international trip for later this year. I figure if you're going to be quarantined or sick, you may as well do it while you're in a fun place."

I booked my very 1st cruise for this year too. Only going to Key West and the Bahamas. But, I'm still planning to go unless things get very bad and they have to cancel. I am actually more worried about hurricanes than the coronavirus. 

As for Broadway and other theater,  I can't see shutting down things unless it is absolutely necessary.  Nobody can stay home and worry about the what ifs all the time. At least I know I can't use that excuse for my job. So, unless we get a bad outbreak here like elsewhere,  things will probably not change until then.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

RWPrincess
#29Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 2:31pm

ArtMan said: "RWPrincess said: "Perhaps a good reason to buy ticket insurance or maybe not purchase them so far ahead unless you absolutely have to. Same goes for travel plans -- make sure to have trip insurance, a refundable airline ticket, or some other type of Plan B.

At the moment, cruise lines are not allowing anyone who has traveled through mainland China within 14 days of sail date to board. However, they have not issued any waivers should other passengers decide to cancel or change plans out of precaution. So the only thing covering these passengers would be cancel anytime trip insurance.
"

Travel insurance has always been and definitely now sketchy on reasons to cancel I heard horror stories from people who had cancel anytime trip insurance and they still didn't pay. Keep in mind, depending on what credit card you use, there are free travel insurance benefits, if you use your card to pay."

The credit card policies are the ones that tend to be a bit more limited but always read the fine print before purchasing your trip. With cancel anytime policies, you're typically just out the cost of the actual policy and/or a small fee but the majority if not all of the trip cost should be refunded. Specifics are usually in the fine print. 

sm33 Profile Photo
sm33
#30Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 2:53pm

I have theater trips planned to NYC in April and London in May, and I can't say the impact of the virus hasn't crossed my mind. I'm not especially worried about getting sick, but moreso about travel restrictions/warnings popping up between now and then. Obviously, doing what's best for public health is the right move, but I am somewhat reluctant to buy tickets for anything else in advance at this point. 

VintageSnarker
#31Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 5:32pm

RWPrincess said: "Perhaps a good reason to buy ticket insurance or maybe not purchase them so far ahead unless you absolutely have to."

This is a great point. Until people feel safer, I can see advanced ticket sales taking a hit. 

MyLife
#32Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 5:35pm

Kitsune said: "I work ata local public health department. I gotpulled off my usual job last week to phone screen travelers returning from mainland China. Thisdoesn't make me any expert, but for what it's worth...

If I was a producer I wouldhave this on my mind, but it's too early to make any recommendations for things months down the line.In a perfect world, our screening efforts would be a perfect barrier against cases spreading. In reality, I don't know what will happen.

I wasn't following Broadway in 2009 - did H1N1 have any impact on theater going, or seeing entertainment in large spaces? (Granted that was also during the recession)
"

I work at a local health department too, working on this response. Hmmm...

Jessryn
#33Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 9:37pm

I had the same sort of thinking in booking a hotel for my April trip. I was booked for a so-so hotel, and decided to switch to more of a luxury hotel. If something happens and I get quarantined in my hotel room while there, I’d rather be somewhere a bit nicer!"

And I had just canceled my luxury hotel and committed to my much cheaper hotel (but one I know and like) for April when we start to really hear the US concerns.

Theatrefanboy1
#34Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/26/20 at 11:34pm

If the fear is instilled globally for another four weeks I will say that many will cancel their New York plans for early summer. And 90% of the Chinese market will be lost.

I would say the ones this will affect most will be the ones that have yet to open or are just opening. I think shows like six company and moulin rouge would last but others will
Notice their tickets not selling as fast

AlanB3
#35Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/27/20 at 6:25am

I sure hope this thread doesn't veer off into wild speculation based on unfounded information like so much of the online conversation regarding the coronavirus.

CDC.gov remains a great source for evidence-based tips and guidance. Based on what I read there this morning, it makes sense for folks with travel plans in the months ahead to consider potential backup options in case conditions change significantly, as well as being careful when advance booking any significant nonrefundable travel-related expenses.

jo
#36Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/27/20 at 7:28am

On a related matter -- the impact on Hollywood and the film industry is already veering towards major losses for the industry.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/coronavirus-corvid-19-hollywood-studios-response-financial-impact-delayed-releases-china-korea-italy-global-international-box-office-1202867768/#comments

Updated On: 2/27/20 at 07:28 AM

Wildcard
#37Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/27/20 at 12:56pm

When Rachelle Ann Go had her valentine's day concert, the audience was required to go through a temperature check and everyone had to wear masks to be admitted into the theater

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#38Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/28/20 at 11:29am

I'm no expert but I think most tourists from mainland China visiting NYC would watch the long-running Broadway shows like Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, Chicago, Lion King, etc.  From looking at the grosses for the month of February I can't say we saw a significant dip due to the lack of Chinese tourists given how February tends to be low season anyway.

There are still so many unknowns but if coronavirus is similar to the flu, then hopefully the hysteria will die down by April/May (which is when flu season normally ends.)  As of right now there are no known cases in NYC area so hopefully it will stay that way but who knows.

Thinking more about it, I don't think people have avoided going to Broadway due to fear of getting the flu.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#39Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/29/20 at 1:08pm

Everyone has become an armchair scientist and I think if the first cases didn't start in China, which is such a huge power in global economy, we wouldn't have this much panic based on fear and panic and internet speculation. This is a highly transmittable, but low mortality, new strain of the flu. 

Sadly, it's affecting domestic tourism as well, especially for people afraid to visit major cities like New York and London, just because of fear of being around foreign tourists. I just hope the hype dies down a bit

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#40Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/29/20 at 4:03pm

I think coronavirus should be the least of producers concerns given the big drop in the market we saw this week

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jo
#41Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/29/20 at 4:26pm

But isn't it the impact of the coronavirus threat which pushed the market's behavior?  The fear of a more widespread impact on world trade is exactly why Wall Street telegraphed that kind of signal, which is said to mirror the market behavior before the 2008 recession ( although that was more due to the bubble bursting in the financial market). Given that China is considered the factory of the world and also supplier of some rare natural resources, the impact is both on the supply side and the demand side of commerce and trade! China has closed its manufacturing operations to some extent and the supply chain is expected to be broken ( Apple has already announced expected delays in shipment of its products). On the demand side, demand has softened so significantly especially on the travel and retail side. Look at all the aggressive promos that credit card companies, hotels, airlines and retail stores are plugging to encourage purchase of goods or services. Layoffs or incidence of unpaid leaves have been announced especially for the airline industry...  Also, China is one of the largest consumer market for Hollywood films.

Hollywood is very fearful - as its tentpole business is facing threats of people not showing up to see the movies in many places, incl China. What will happen to the billion-dollar box office champs that are lining up for the summer season  ( Bond/Wonder Woman/Fast&Furious/etc)? In the case of Disney - people are wondering how its $200 million( that does not include promotion) budget movie with an all-Chinese cast, MULAN, will fare? Not only that, it is facing temporary closures of its theme parks. Of course, unlike most of Broadway though - the big studios have the option of streaming the first releases. And indies will likely be available on TV or streamers... Some Hollywood film productions have already stopped temporarily esp in places where the health threat is siginificant (e.g., Italy).

Fortunately for the USA, there is a very low incidence of infection at the moment.

We all hope the health crisis will blow over soon! It may not just be losing a chance to see a show on Broadway ( because one is reluctant to travel  or be in an enclosed space) -- but it could mean, for some, even a loss of a means of livelihood... and even more tragically, the health impact of the virus crisis.

Updated On: 2/29/20 at 04:26 PM

Fosse76
#42Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/29/20 at 5:09pm

I know of at least one Broadway show that is said to be considering shutting down due to the Caronavirus (I'm not going to name it, but it wouldn't have to worry about being evicted during its closure). And I know that Come from Away has postponed its China engagement.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#43Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/29/20 at 6:05pm

If there’s no danger of eviction during closure then my guess it would be one of the longer running shows on Broadway where the theater may be in need of renovation.

Highland Guy Profile Photo
Highland Guy
#44Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 2/29/20 at 6:50pm

The Spanish Influenza Pandemic of 1918 killed some 20-50 million souls worldwide.  Of that number, upwards of 675,000 died here in the United States.  My uncle (age 18) and grandfather (age 54) were two of its victims.  In large part because of my family history, I have always been mindful of avoiding viral infections.  For that reason, and until the coronavirus threat is resolved, I will (as much as possible) stay away from crowds.  If that means I don't go to the theater or movies or concerts, so be it.  I happily will forego two hours of entertainment in favor of my health......or life.

Non sibi sed patriae

SmoothLover Profile Photo
SmoothLover
#45Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 3/1/20 at 6:09pm

Is it true that local 306 is talking about required mask wearing?

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#46Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 3/1/20 at 8:36pm

Looks like first confirmed case today in NYC:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/nyregion/new-york-coronvirus-confirmed.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#47Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 3/1/20 at 8:37pm

Yup, buckle up kids! 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#48Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 3/1/20 at 9:51pm

A cousing of ours works for the cdc and she said this is just the start for NYC as we will see more cases each and everyday unfortunately and this month is going to be crucial for businesses here

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

lachri5
#49Coronavirus: The Spring Season Scene Stealer
Posted: 3/1/20 at 10:55pm

Older people and people with underlying health conditions are the most vulnerable. We have a lot of them in the theatre community. Please PLEASE take good care of yourself!!! I'm not religious, but I pray everyone in the theatre community (and everyone in general) gets through this intact.