pixeltracker

Which shows will Covid-19 end?- Page 3

Which shows will Covid-19 end?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#50Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 2:29pm

Impossible2 said: "singerunlimited said: "Agreed! I am really surprised that Phantom is the show everyone keeps bringing up as being in limbo because of the virus. It's been running for 32 years and is still selling well. Yes, much of its longevity is due to tourism. But surely this wouldn't give them reason to close it down after this long.

According to the latest update from Riedel, he has spoken to Webber who says it's not closing: https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/the-show-will-go-on-how-broadway-will-survive-coronavirus/
"

Of course it's not, the rumour was bollocks from the start x
"

The rumor was no doubt started by Riedel himself; that would certainly be on-brand for him.

I'm relieved to hear that ALW has no intention of closing Phantom, but I am a bit nervous about that phrase "refresh it". Cameron Mackintosh already did that, and the results were quite disappointing IMHO.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

RWPrincess
#51Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 3:08pm

OKBroadwayFan said: "As a die hard theater fan, my daughter and I will be back to see shows ASAP. But what about the tourists? Are people going to go on vacations and trips? The tourist dollars are a big chunk of the ticket sales for the shows."

China is already back up to 60% of airline capacity so that's promising. After being stuck at home for an extended period, I'd think people would be eager to start traveling again if they're financially able to do so.

Sunny11
#52Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 3:12pm

If broadway is closed for long enough, do you think that when it does open the shows will be classed as new productions ?

Imagine if the 2021 Tony awards pitted Hamilton, Wicked, Phantom ect for best musical? That’s quite an exciting though actually.

PianoMann Profile Photo
PianoMann
#53Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 3:15pm

Sunny11 said: "
If broadway is closed for long enough, do you think that when it does open the shows will be classed as new productions ?

Imagine if the 2021 Tony awards pitted Hamilton, Wicked, Phantom ect for best musical? That’s quite an exciting though actually.
"

Not even remotely a possibility. Aside from potentially the cast, what would be different enough to classify these as new productions? Same score, same lighting, costume, and scenic design, same direction, etc.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#54Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 3:42pm

I do think this long hiatus will benefit long-running shows that have gotten a little stale. Whenever things are back up & running, these long-running shows should get a new energy to it with everyone wanting to get back to work & to the theaters. 

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#55Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 3:56pm

This virus could be fatal for Broadway and other theatre, when theatre does start again, it won’t take off from where it left off, houses will be dark, producers’ won’t back a new show quickly. It will take a while for tourists to come back, as people have drastically tightened their belts

The Britney Spears musical going into the Marquis  and MJ will likely be delayed as artists will not be able to rehearse in the next couple of months, will the producers have money to extend?. Maybe when theatre does eventually open shows such as the Hello Dolly, Miss Saigon or maybe Anastasia and other tours could come in. New Yorkers after 3 months of nothing will be too glad to see something, as I will be.

Great news though is that Escape to Margartaville won’t be coming back.

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#56Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 5:14pm

How long do new shows need to rehearse for? With a previews starting at the end of June, I could see Once Upon a One More Time opening as scheduled.

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#57Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 8:16pm

Once More Time try out in Chicago is likely to be scrapped now. With social distancing being all important, to stop spread of this horrible virus. It also makes rehearsal impossible.

No way will this open in June.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#58Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 8:40pm

I believe Once Upon a One More Time announced it’s Chicago cancellation today.

Edit: Yes, it was canceled

Updated On: 3/17/20 at 08:40 PM

alogan1814
#59Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/17/20 at 9:12pm

I am wondering what will happen to shows like Jagged Little Pill and West Side Story which were generating Tony buzz and were doing fairly well financially but might not be able to make it... or if they do come back, be able to make it past the end of the summer. Especially two shows with huge ensembles that are employing lots of actors.

saxpower
#60Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 1:25pm

There are a number of facts which will affect this: (please note- I am NOT in the industry, just trying to think the issue through logically- which can be dangerous)

1. Shows' loss of income- obviously, the shows are not taking anything in right now.  Now, most of the productions/theatre owners/other interest holders likely have some sort of business interruption insurance or event cancellation insurance, but these may have exclusions which render this kind of situation not covered.  Also, they certainly have SOME type of maximum amount they will pay.  So while insurance may make up some of the lost income, it will not do so indefinitely.  How much insurance helps a production depends on what kind of insurance was purchased and how long this lasts.

A lot of the shows WERE (according to grosses analysis on Playbill) selling at or near (or even above) 100% capacity- so there COULD be room for at least some reserves. (I do realize this capacity was sometimes obtained via deep discounts on tickets)  Do productions put aside "rainy day funds"?  

Expenses-  While not bringing in income, the productions' expenses have to be substantially reduced. Do they still need to pay rent to the theatre owners?  Even if they do, might a theatre owner prefer to have a show set up in their theatre (even if they lose a little rent) than face the re-opening with the theatre dark?  How many productions are going to be planning a Broadway run until we know when "the show can go on" again? (This may actually HELP some of the shows stay open- gives reasons for theatre owners to try and work with them). 

The other expense issue is the cost of restarting.  Promotion may not be a big deal- the reopening of Broadway will likely be in the news.  However, there will probably be some costs to get things up and running again.   Some level of rehearsals/run throughs will likely be needed, if only to make sure mechanical sets are working and to make sure everyone remembers specific blocking to avoid being injured by standing a foot or so away from their usual mark and end up getting hit by a set.   It also may be necessary to bring in some new cast members and get them rehearsed

3.  Casts and other professionals/employees - Assuming they aren't being paid, actors, stage hands, musicians, dressers, makeup/hair people, etc may eventually need to look for some other jobs.  Its conceivable acting venues elsewhere in the country may open before Broadway and people will go to those.  People may need to take non-performing or even non-entertainment jobs.  With "work from home" a possibility, there may be jobs to be had.   If the new job includes a contractual obligation (or requires moving to a new location), suddenly the production has to hire people- adding to rehearsal and other re-start costs, and possibly slowing the ability of a production to reopen.  Yes, I know all these folks have contracts with the productions they were with at the time of the shutdown, but will these be enforced if the folks aren't being paid?  Plus if someone's contract runs out with no guarantee of when the show is coming back, they may simply move on. 

4. Effect of shutdown on other businesses- Sadly, some restaurants and hotels are not going to survive this.  If this becomes too severe, the Times Square area may drift back towards the "bad old days" before all the work was done to bring business in. While less of a direct effect, if hotels/places to eat are limited, its simply not going to be as pleasant for out-of-towners to come to shows- making recovery harder. 

OK, so I've probably overthought this.  But my point is there are a number of moving parts here, making it hard to predict what shows will survive.   I also think its a bit naive to take the "Broadway will bounce back stronger than ever" view.   A number of shows closed after 9/11 and that involved a relatively short closing (yes I know people were scared to travel after that, but the same may be true here in different ways).    All we can do it wait and hope.

Broadway61004
#61Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 1:50pm

I think two other things to consider are commitments from leads of star-driven shows and future productions for the subscription houses. For instance, let's say Broadway is back and running by mid-May (seems less and less likely, but let's pretend best case scenario for now). Do Sam Rockwell or Laurence Fishburne or Darren Criss have film commitments right after American Buffalo's original closing date, which could make it impossible to extend and pointless to only run for a handful of weeks? And then Roundabout, for instance, could push back Birthday Candles by 6 weeks, but then that would push back whatever they had planned for late summer at American Airlines, and they may or may not want to do that (same for Take Me Out, Flying Over Sunset and How I Learned to Drive). So that could cancel some productions as well.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#62Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 4:32pm

Times Sqaure is not going to drift back into the "bad old days". If anything, it may resemble after the Great Recession when a slew of shows closed, there were some empty theatres, and the investors were more risk-adverse for a while.

And sadly, it could mean some no-profit companies with cash flow problems go under.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#63Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 4:50pm

I predict Broadway will not open till at least July now. Most shows will not reopen except the very very large successful shows that will be able to find new investors.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

MollyJeanneMusic
#64Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 5:25pm

Here's an interesting Riedel article with some theories.

Something tells me, along with these mentioned, that Hadestown has been doing well enough to survive.  And Six has so much potential that it'll probably at least try to stick around.  The others...I don't know, you guys.  Contrary to what he says, I don't think Frozen will survive that long after.  I think it'll try, but it's already been going down in profits, and it'll no longer have the added boost in the summer of the Frozen 2 release on  Disney+.

"I think that when a movie says it was 'based on a true story,' oh, it happened - just with uglier people." - Peanut Walker, Shucked

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#65Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 6:16pm

I can see Roundabout still doing “Caroline”, even if Sharon can’t do it. They have the entire production built and ready to go and nothing else in the pipeline. If they need to get a new leading lady, I have a feeling it won’t be hard to get a big name to open a show during Broadway’s “Grand Re-Opening”.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#66Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 6:34pm

Matt Doyle and Etai Benson were just on Company's IG Live, and they said they don't know when Company will  be back, but Marianne Elliot and Chris Harper are doing everything in their power to ensure that it returns. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#67Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 6:38pm

I’d hope Caroline or Change and Flying Over Sunset get postponed until next season.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

AndreyIsntHere Profile Photo
AndreyIsntHere
#68Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 7:27pm

It’s inevitable that some -- maybe even most -- shows won’t survive this shutdown. Like others on here, I'm confident about the Disney shows; CURSED CHILD; the "staples" like PHANTOM, WICKED, CHICAGO, HAMILTON...Even the newer shows that are doing well and/or are relatively cheap to run such as HADESTOWN, DEAR EVAN HANSEN, COME FROM AWAY -- I'll even be optimistic and say SIX. In general I'd say if a show has recouped and is still bringing in income (or, was still bringing in income) they have a good chance at surviving.

What's sad is the ones that won't survive. I wish that all doomed shows could get to do one final show and have a proper closing night when Broadway reopens, but the negative side of me knows that seems unrealistic. 

Fosse76
#69Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 8:04pm

Duplicate Message

Updated On: 3/20/20 at 08:04 PM

Fosse76
#70Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/19/20 at 8:09pm

There are questions that need answering in order to determine if a show will reopen and/or survive.

1. What are its expenditures during the closure?

2. Does it have enough money in reserve to cover those expenditures and if they have insurance will it cover it?

3. How much lead time is needed to get the show up and running once the all clear is given? They can't just go in and recommence performances. They have to rehearse, make sure everything works properly, etc. Will that take more than a couple of days? Will it take a week? That's an added expenditure.

4. The audience for each show will be the determining factor whether or not it will truly survive. Is the audience local or tourists? There is going to be a significant downturn in tourism, so if a show relies mostly on tourism it's unlikely to survive, even if it does manage to reopen.

markypoo Profile Photo
markypoo
#71Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/20/20 at 9:08am

Wondering if the hourglass has run out as far as The Minutes is concerned...

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#72Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/20/20 at 10:02am

I think it really depends when Broadway reopens. Some shows may close. Some may attempt to start up again, but if sales are lagging, they'll close quickly. We may be seeing an unusual situation on Broadway when it reopens.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#73Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/20/20 at 10:18am

I think all the big established shows will survive (All the ones Riedel mentioned plus Hadestown and Moulin Rouge)

I also think they'll find a way to get West Side Story, Six, Mrs. Doubtfire and Company running once this all ends

I wouldn't be surprised to see Flying Over Sunset and Caroline or Change pushed to next spring

I think shakier ones like Diana and Girl from the North Country will be in serious trouble

BenElliott Profile Photo
BenElliott
#74Which shows will Covid-19 end?
Posted: 3/20/20 at 10:21am

I think some shows may get pushed to a fall or spring opening. I think pretty much this entire season will get moved over a year.