Phantom Post-COVID

lukeworsham
#1Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 4:47pm

In a NY Post article, ALW said the following about Phantom’s life on Broadway after the shutdown is over: “There are huge plans to remarket and refresh it.”

What does everyone think “remarket and refresh” means? For the sake of all that is good in the world, I hope this doesnt mean replacing Hal Prince’s staging with Cameron Mackintoshs awful new production that recently toured the U.S.

I saw PTO two days before the shutdown, and the show is in really good shape. The company knows exactly what theyre doing, and it didnt look like some older shows where everyone seems to simply be going through the motions. You could feel Ben Crawford and Eryn Lecroys sexual tension on stage.

If anything, maybe a big name like John Owen-Jones or Ramin Karimloo taking over under the mask. But please, do not touch Hal Princes staging!

Updated On: 3/22/20 at 04:47 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#2Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 4:50pm

It means he’s not going to let the show close and lose the “longest running” title. If he has to cash in his entire fortune and move into one of Sarah Brightman’s guest rooms in order to keep that show running, he will.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#3Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 5:54pm

lukeworsham said: "For the sake of all that is good in the world, I hope this doesnt mean replacing Hal Princes staging with Cameron Mackintoshs awful new production that recently toured the U.S.

ALW wasn’t a fan of that production so I doubt we’ll see it again. The original production is touring the UK at the minute. He’s probably just going to go in and focus on tweaking anything that needs to be tweaked. Maybe giving the theatre a lick of paint?

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#4Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 5:57pm

They’re slowly starting to make little changes now that Hal isn’t around to say no. It’s sad. They just refreshed the artwork and ditched that awful 25th anniversary artwork with much better art that harkened back to the original. I’m not sure what else needs to be remarketed.

Phantom4ever
#5Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 6:41pm

ALW using a word like “refresh” fills me with dread. When I read the first post in this thread, my stomach dropped. Phantom’s original staging is so emotionally connected to me that words could never explain it. If they do anything to update it in the name of trendiness I don’t know what I’ll do.

CatsNY, what changes have you seen since Hal died? When I saw it in February, the only difference I saw was the new approach to Christine which I actually enjoyed. I’m mostly afraid of them replacing the chandelier with that new U.K. tour mess or replacing some of the sets with projections.

I also love that the artwork is back to the original black.

Ugh. Now I am going to be preoccupied and worried until an official announcement is made.

lukeworsham
#6Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 6:44pm

Phantom4ever said: "ALW using a word like “refresh” fills me with dread. When I read the first post in this thread, my stomach dropped. Phantom’s original staging is so emotionally connected to me that words could never explain it. If they do anything to update it in the name of trendiness I don’t know what I’ll do.

CatsNY, what changes have you seen since Hal died? When I saw it in February, the only difference I saw was the new approach to Christine which I actually enjoyed. I’m mostly afraid of them replacing the chandelier with that new U.K. tour mess or replacing some of the sets with projections.

I also love that the artwork is back to the original black.

Ugh. Now I am going to be preoccupied and worried until an official announcement is made.
"

The only thing the tour had that I enjoyed were the pyrotechnic effects during “Bravo Monsieur,” and I wouldn’t mind those being added to the Broadway production. But I’m with you, it’s a success for a reason. The original staging is perfection. The colors, costumes, etc.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#7Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 7:02pm

Phantom4ever said: "CatsNY, what changes have you seen since Hal died? When I saw it in February, the only difference I saw was the new approach to Christine which I actually enjoyed."

Someone posted here the Phantom's make-up has been changed. I saw it in August and didn't notice a change but it may have been shortly after I saw it.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#8Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 7:36pm

I think Phantom will be fine after COVID-19 especially if ALW is willing to support it financially.
Ben Crawford is AMAZING and in terms of marketing I think majority of people know the Phantom logo and how iconic it is on Broadway.
I really hope the original production stays though and I agree it is in great shape. I’ve seen it with both Erin Lecroy and Meghan Picerno as Christine and both work great with Ben Crawford!

Globefan
#9Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 10:56pm

I'd love to see Rachel Zegler play Christine. 

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#10Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/22/20 at 11:07pm

I heard he's going to have Glenn Close play 'The Phantom' to Patti Lupone's 'Christine' when it opens. That will sell tickets, no ? 

wink

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#11Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 12:32am

I think there could be a lot done to update it to today's standards. I thought a lot of the pryo was pretty ho-hum, and the mannequins in "Masquerade" were a bit obvious and think could be updated. The same for the dummy that falls from the rafters. I don't think they need to go, but I think they could be updated with today's technology and still not lose their original charm. Other than that I thought the show was in fantastic shape when I saw it last year. 

Phantom4ever
#12Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 1:52am

Rippedman, I'm sure you are a wonderful and beautiful person but your post sends shivers down my spine. If I ever watch the graveyard scene and see giant flame throwing torches spew out of the Phantom's skull/staff thing I will get up and walk out. Besides, what are today's standards?  Today's standards are PROJECTIONS.  If a show like Phantom were produced today, they entire graveyard scene (and pretty much everything else) would be projections of Christine walking around headstones and every time the Phantom tried to scare her and Raoul, there would be a PROJECTION of a fire. Please, no!  The new tour has 2010's-era pyro on it's chandelier and guess what?  It's pretty much the same thing as in the 1988 show. Maybe a few more sparkler looking elements. All of the things you mentioned, Rippedman, would destroyed the original charm. And I'm so afraid that Cameron or ALW is going to hire someone to revamp the show because it's like so like literally like 80s like for real like make it like instagrammable. People always tease me for going to see the show so much  (74 times) but part of the reason I do see it so much is because people have been making these comments for YEARS/DECADES and I feel like sooner or later, these horrific changes are going to happen in a pathetic attempt to "update" it or whatever other nonsense word you want to use.  

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#13Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 8:13am

One of the updates they could look into surely is new lighting. not to change the look of the piece, but to update it to cost efficient lights as I believe Phantom is one of the only shows on Broadway with the original lights still going, it must cost them alot monthly.

What i do dread however is them thinking maybe of moving to a smaller house now that they have 2 prototypes of the "brilliant original' that have been redesigned for smaller houses. I hope it does not come to this.

I also would like to think that they might be able to do some maintenance while everything is closed. Back in January I noticed what looked like some huge rips in the hannibal backdrop for example.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#14Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 8:27am

Has the Majestic theatre done any major renovation (updating bathrooms, seat cushions/covers, carpet, etc.) since Phantom started in 1988? If not, this is probably a good time to do it.

I agree with Phantom4Ever that the original charm of the show would be lost if they changed a lot of the scenes to projections. To me, the show is a living icon from the 20th century that's still making money!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#15Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 8:53am

Jordan Catalano said: "It means he’s not going to let the show close and lose the “longest running” title. If he has to cash in his entire fortune and move into one of Sarah Brightman’s guest rooms in order to keep that show running, he will. "

That part.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but for those who defended Michael Riedel and said he isn’t a hack, he went from claiming the show would close due to the virus to confidently saying it would stay open, all within a week. 🙄 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#16Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 9:04am

While I'd love if they could cut it down to the Vegas length, I know that would never happen. In lieu of that, I'd love if they could ind a way to put in amazing chandelier effect from the Vegas version, along with their special effects. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#17Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 10:11am

Justin D said: "One of the updates they could look into surely is new lighting. not to change the look of the piece, but to update it to cost efficient lights as I believe Phantom is one of the only shows on Broadway with the original lights still going, it must cost them alot monthly.

That is a good guess. When I dropped in on Chicago last fall, I was struck by the fact there wasn't a single LED, and certainly not a moving light, anywhere up there. And while both shows look lovely still, I wondered if some of the older shows on Bway would consider small upgrades. Hell, high school auditoriums now have more advance lighting technology!

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#18Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 11:18am

The other thing to consider, with a show like Phantom, it might be a rusk for them to do anything drastic like changing things to projections (led screens) as that would be a HUGE expense for a show that basically has been running forever and already has working sets, so in the long run it wont reduce running costs but rather add more expense.

But on the other hand i am sure CamMac is itching to change up things so he wont have to continue with what i am sure are hefty royalties to Maria Bjornson, Gillian Lynne and Hal.

back to lighting, I was always skeptical with LED as they tend to be always 'cool' looking where as old incandescent light is 'warmer' (esp for gasslight and candlelignt) but they seem to have done a good balance in recent productions (which I assume use LEDs) like the world tour and the new UK tour, and are able to keep the feeling of the original.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#19Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 11:40am

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "Jordan Catalano said: "It means he’s not going to let the show close and lose the “longest running” title. If he has to cash in his entire fortune and move into one of Sarah Brightman’s guest rooms in order to keep that show running, he will. "

That part.

Also, somewhat unrelated, but for those who defended Michael Riedel and said he isn’t a hack, he went from claiming the show would close due to the virus to confidently saying it would stay open, allwithin a week. ?
"

I don't care for Michael Riedel, and I never said he wasn't a hack, rather that it was foolish to discount everything he was saying simply because of it, especially since a lot of what he said made sense.

As far as Phantom is concerned, this is what he originally wrote on 4/12:

"The Phantom of the Opera,” Broadway’s longest-running show that draws heavily on foreign tourists, may well close down for good, sources said. But other sources say that Andrew Lloyd Webber is determined to keep “Phantom” open.

And this is what he wrote 4 hours later, after speaking to Andrew LLoyd Webber:

There were rumors that Broadway’s longest running show — “The Phantom of the Opera” — may have to close down for good. After 32 years, it’s dependent on the tourist trade, which will be thin for the next few months. But Andrew Lloyd Webber tells me that he has no intention of closing it. There are “huge plans to remarket and refresh it,” says Lloyd Webber, who plans to keep it open another 30 years.

You can see that he never contradicted himself, merely clarified when he had more information.

Updated On: 3/23/20 at 11:40 AM

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#20Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 12:07pm

That last line in the original article about ALW being determined to keep it open was NOT there originally. I read the article twice and sent it to multiple people right after it was published. It was added afterwards to cover his own ass.

The man IS a hack.

Period.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#21Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 1:17pm

Phantom4ever said: "Phantom’s original staging is so emotionally connected to me that words could never explain it. If they do anything to update it in the name of trendiness I don’t know what I’ll do." 

Same here. If it ain't broke...

Phantom4ever said: "the only difference I saw was the new approach to Christine"

What do you mean by "the new approach"?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#22Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 1:20pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "for those who defended Michael Riedel and said he isn’t a hack, he went from claiming the show would close due to the virus to confidently saying it would stay open, all within a week."

He's a tabloid "journalist" who makes a living off of sensationalism and gleeful malice.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#23Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 1:20pm

everythingtaboo said: "While I'd love if they could cut it down to the Vegas length, I know that would never happen. In lieu of that, I'd love if they could ind a way to put in amazing chandelier effect from the Vegas version, along with their special effects."

Please, please no.

saxpower
#24Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/23/20 at 5:38pm

There are probably technological and other changes which could be made without being noticeable.  As someone else said, there are probably newer, more efficient lighting technologies which would still allow the same effect as the original.  Some of the technology behind the automatization could be updated.  There may have been things learned on the original tour (the one using the original set)  which could be implemented.   

Also, as someone pointed out, I'm sure the Majestic could use some repairs/maintenance  which hasn't been possible with the show running. 

I agree though- the show audiences see when it returns should LOOK (and sound) the same as it has up to now. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#25Phantom Post-COVID
Posted: 3/25/20 at 11:01am

There are other shows I plan to see when Broadway re-opens but I kind of decided that I am going to revisit Phantom first. Have been wanting to go back for a while anyway. It will be my second time seeing it at The Majestic. The first time I saw it, about a year or two after it opened, the show was really off. Saw it on tour and it was wonderful.

Just give the world Love.

Videos