pixeltracker

Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice

Hot Pants Profile Photo
Hot Pants
#1Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/12/20 at 10:56am

Sorry, if theres already been a forum for this, but given the current state of things in America, I figured a good topic would be talking about shows that are linked to this particular topic.

A pick of mine would be Ragtime. A great show dealing with prejudice that offers many different perspectives on the issue.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#2Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/13/20 at 7:57pm

Ragtime or any August Wilson play

Poster Emeritus

Roteach
#3Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/13/20 at 9:08pm

Hot Pants said: "Sorry, if theres already been a forum for this, but given the current state of things in America, I figured a good topic would be talking about shows that are linked to this particular topic.

A pick of mine would be Ragtime. A great show dealing with prejudice that offers many different perspectives on the issue.
"

The show that comes to mind for me is A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry and it's musical spin off Raisin.

mcsquared
#4Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/13/20 at 9:53pm

Hairspray and Scottsboro Boys

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#5Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/13/20 at 9:53pm

I loved The Scottsboro Boys.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#6Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/13/20 at 9:54pm

DESSA ROSE

MARIE CHRISTINE

THE COLOR PURPLE

and especially SLAVE PLAY

Updated On: 6/13/20 at 09:54 PM

Jarethan
#7Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/14/20 at 2:47pm

To Kill a Mockingbird

The Great While Hope

The Scottsboro Boys

A Raisin in the Sun

Ragtime

Showboat

This may be semantics, but I did not think of Slave Play, which I think is as great a play as I have seen at least in the past decade.  I saw it as being about the fallout from social injustice.  If that is the same thing, then add it to the list.

Purlie

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#8Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/14/20 at 3:01pm

What about Shuffle Along?

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#9Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/14/20 at 5:41pm

1985’s GRIND

AADA81 Profile Photo
AADA81
#10Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/14/20 at 11:01pm

The Member of the Wedding - not directly but noticeably

No Strings

The River Niger

Raisin (musical)

Fences

Caroline, or Change 

Gem of the Ocean

Radio Golf

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#11Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/14/20 at 11:08pm

The greatest American play ever written about racism is M. BUTTERFLY. Full stop.

I know we are all thinking about white on black racism right now and August Wilson is and always will be a giant of the American theater. If you can attend one of Wilson's plays without being both enlightened and moved, you are in a coma.

But Hwang really gets at the essence of racism, gender and sexism! I thought my head might explode the first time I saw it because the play was rapidly rearranging sections of my brain!

Jarethan
#12Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/15/20 at 1:47pm

GavestonPS said: "The greatest American play ever written about racism is M. BUTTERFLY. Full stop.

I know we are all thinking about white on black racism right now and August Wilson is and always will be a giant of the American theater. If you can attend one of Wilson's plays without being both enlightened and moved, you are in a coma.

But Hwang really gets at the essence of racism, gender and sexism!I thought my head might explode the first time I saw it because the play was rapidly rearranging sections of my brain!
"

I see your point, and it is valid.  I wish, however, it was better than it is.  I have only seen the play twice, original run and revival, and did not like either one.  The first time I didn't like it, I attributed it to John Lithgow's performance.  I normally really like him, but I thought he overacted to the point of distraction.   The revival was a mediocre production, which did nothing to alter my opinion of the play itself.  

I remember being impressed with the original production itself and BD Wong, but not the play.

To BrodyFosse123, I have to tell you that you are half right IMO: Grind deals with social injustice, but it was a rotten show.  Two good things: the set and Stubby Kaye.  Even the woman who won featured actress only won because it was a torn year for musicals,,,they even eliminated lead performances in a musical that year.

Fordham2015
#13Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/15/20 at 2:06pm

Sweat by Lynn Nottage

KJ4 Profile Photo
KJ4
#14Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/15/20 at 2:41pm

american son

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#15Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/15/20 at 5:53pm

Jarethan said: "I see your point, and it is valid. I wish, however, [M. BUTTERFLY] was better than it is. I have only seen the play twice, original run and revival, and did not like either one. The first time I didn't like it, I attributed it to John Lithgow's performance. I normally really like him, but I thought he overacted to the point of distraction. The revival was a mediocre production, which did nothing to alter my opinion of the play itself...."

I saw the original production twice, with Lithgow and with John Rubinstein. The latter was fine, but I think Lithgow's performance is the single greatest I've ever seen by a male actor in a non-musical tragedy. (His earlier performance in BEYOND THERAPY is one of the greatest comic turns I've ever seen by an actor.)

I also taught the play twice a year for nearly 15 years. It was still all too relevant when Bush and Cheney invaded Iraq after 9/11.

So agree to disagree, I guess. LOL.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#16Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/15/20 at 7:07pm

Pass Over by Nwandu Antoinette

Twilight (but also Fires in the Mirror) by Anna Deveare Smith

South Pacific (?) - 

Sleep Deprivation Chamber by Adrienne Kennedy and Adam Kennedy

StephieElise
#17Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/16/20 at 2:39am

Memphis
The Sapphires

Pauly3
#18Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/16/20 at 1:36pm

There is much disagreement it was great, but Allegiance dealt with racial injustice that isn't well known from a very significant period of American history.

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#19Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/16/20 at 1:47pm

Finian's Rainbow....

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?

theatreguy12
#20Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/16/20 at 11:13pm

I would have to agree with The Scottsboro Boys.   That musical just tore me up inside.    

I remember people being against it for certain reasons and critiqued it as such, but I found its manner of presentation to be an extremely effective way of showing what those times really were about, and how distorted and flat out wrong peoples racist belief systems really were when it came to that time period and how horrifically black people were treated.

In fact, I remember having dinner with friends and they felt pretty uncomfortable by such a depiction using the minstrel approach.

But I felt it was an effective way of showing how truly despicable the racist thought process was.   And how unjust these young men were treated.  Did I see how they could see the controversy in it?  Sure.  I even remember Whoopi talking about it and how while she could see the controversy, she praised the way the show was done.  It had the same impact on me.

And at the end, the story left me feeling true sadness for these young men.  And anger about how they were treated.  I felt the minstrel approach was a huge exclamation point to that fact. 

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#21Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/17/20 at 1:28am

I agree, South Pacific certainly is about prejudice. The story touches on racial injustice in the Nellie's initial behavior.

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#22Great Shows That Deal With Racial Injustice
Posted: 6/17/20 at 5:30am

ggersten said: "Pass Over by Nwandu Antoinette

Twilight (but also Fires in the Mirror) by Anna Deveare Smith

South Pacific (?) -

Sleep Deprivation Chamber by Adrienne Kennedy and Adam Kennedy

"

Pass Over started off great but veered into unearned and unjustified ridiculousness halfway through. 

Videos