Mean Girls to close

IAMREADING
#50Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 1:03am

Tina Fey debuted a new show on NBC tonight Mr. Mayor so maybe the timing was like a doors closing doors opening thing for her.

Plannietink08 Profile Photo
Plannietink08
#51Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 1:56am

I wouldn’t be surprised if the movie is fast tracked which could be a springboard for the inevitable West End, Germany and Australian productions. 

"Charlotte, we're Jewish"

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#52Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 8:02am

Hmmm....in my head, closing had been announced before the shutdown.   I wonder what show I'm confusing this with.

This won't be the last, but I am hopeful for a decent number of shows to make it through this crisis.    

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Alexander Lamar
#53Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 9:12am

Frozen was the first, right?

I really hope Roundabout doesn’t cancel Caroline.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#54Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 10:32am

Both Roundabout and Sharon D. Clarke have said they’re 100% committed to “Caroline”.

fosterfan2
#55Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 10:33am

I hope Company returns.

hearthemsing22
#56Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 11:34am

fosterfan2 said: "I hope Company returns."

Oh gosh I’d be SO disappointed if it didn’t. But I’m hopeful that it will! I saw the first preview and loved it. I’m hopeful that it comes back. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#57Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 11:42am

Alexander Lamar said: "Frozen was the first, right?

I really hope Roundabout doesn’t cancel Caroline.
"

YES, I must've been thinking Frozen.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#58Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 1:29pm

I'm more hopeful longer running shows like Wicked, The Lion King, and Hamilton will reopen because they have enough money in the bank, from years of profit to reopen, whereas Mean Girls had only JUST recouped at the onset of the pandemic, so I'm sure they don't have enough money for the reopening costs, if their profits aren't already dried up from their TV performances. 

I'm probably more worried about Hadestown and To Kill a Mockingbird. Financial successes, yes, but who knows how much longer their profits will last. Also Harry Potter is probably doomed. They should focus on a touring production. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Rumpelstiltskin Profile Photo
Rumpelstiltskin
#59Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 2:13pm

I don’t know what makes sense in cases like this.  Is there the possibility that some shows would announce a closing date in order to stop the bleeding and then launch a new production at some future post-COVID date?

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#60Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 2:52pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I'm more hopeful longer running shows like Wicked, The Lion King, and Hamilton will reopen because they have enough money in the bank, from years of profit to reopen, whereas Mean Girls had only JUST recouped at the onset of the pandemic, so I'm sure they don't have enough money for the reopening costs, if their profits aren't already dried up from their TV performances.

I'm probably more worried about Hadestown and To Kill a Mockingbird. Financial successes, yes, but who knows how much longer their profits will last. Also Harry Potter is probably doomed. They should focus on a touring production.
"

Longrunning shows are probably in a better financial position to reopen, but it's not like they've been sitting on those profits and can use them to fund reopening. That money gets distributed to the investors and producers on a fairly regular basis.

Owen22
unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#62Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 4:51pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I'm more hopeful longer running shows like Wicked, The Lion King, and Hamilton will reopen because they have enough money in the bank, from years of profit to reopen, whereas Mean Girls had only JUST recouped at the onset of the pandemic, so I'm sure they don't have enough money for the reopening costs, if their profits aren't already dried up from their TV performances.

"

Mockingbird was supposed to start load out last fall. Not sure why that never happened. Aurora had a crew ready. I’ll do some more investigating 

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#63Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 5:56pm

Apologies if this has already been mentioned here, but I read from some people last night that Mean Girls rumored if not even quietly confirmed back in January a year ago that they were planning to close September 2020. They were apparently struggling pre-Covid, which was part of why they brought Cameron Dallas in. If their plan to close this fall were true, they weren't supposed to be running now, regardless of the pandemic.

That's not to say that other shows won't announce not returning (I hope not many though!) but don't assume that Mean Girls not returning is any indication, cause it sounds like they would've been closed by now anyway.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#64Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 6:33pm

Mr. Wormwood said: "Theatrefanboy1 said: "I think this is the first of a bit of list of productions to close or cancel: girl from the north country, American buffalo, take me out, plaza suite, ain’t too proud, cursed child, to kill a mockingbird. Possibly even hadestown, jagged little pill. Who might just invest into the tour"

I do think there will be more closures but I think you're wrong about Hadestown, TKAM, JLP and Ain't Too Proud. The newer ones, who knows. I do think Cursed Child could be in trouble.
"

I would think Cursed Child is done, they don’t gross enough to make a re-start up viable. 

Broadway has 41 theatres, but won’t be able to sustain 41 shows, when theatre comes back. You have to give the existing shows a fighting chance. So I reckon theatres like the St James, August Wilson, Marquis and Golden etc maybe dark for a while after Broadway re-starts until Broadway is in a good enough state to accept new shows.

Updated On: 1/8/21 at 06:33 PM

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#65Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 7:39pm

Phantom of London said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Theatrefanboy1 said: "I think this is the first of a bit of list of productions to close or cancel: girl from the north country, American buffalo, take me out, plaza suite, ain’t too proud, cursed child, to kill a mockingbird. Possibly even hadestown, jagged little pill. Who might just invest into the tour"

I do think there will be more closures but I think you're wrong about Hadestown, TKAM, JLP and Ain't Too Proud. The newer ones, who knows. I do think Cursed Child could be in trouble.
"

I would think Cursed Child is done, they don’tgross enough to make a re-start up viable.

Broadway has 41 theatres, but won’t be able to sustain 41 shows, when theatre comes back. You have to give the existing shows a fighting chance. So I reckon theatres like the St James, August Wilson, Marquis and Golden etc maybe dark for a while after Broadway re-starts until Broadway is in a good enough state to accept new shows.
"

Oh for sure, I mean even in normal years the lean months (Jan & Sep) sometimes barely have over 20 shows running

hearthemsing22
#66Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 9:08pm

Phantom of London said: "Mr. Wormwood said: "Theatrefanboy1 said: "I think this is the first of a bit of list of productions to close or cancel: girl from the north country, American buffalo, take me out, plaza suite, ain’t too proud, cursed child, to kill a mockingbird. Possibly even hadestown, jagged little pill. Who might just invest into the tour"

"

I would think Cursed Child is done, they don’tgross enough to make a re-start up viable.

"

Completely agree. Aside from established mainstays, I think it's going to be difficult for a lot of shows, even if they do plan on coming back. They'll need really good sales once box offices open up again. 

NOWaWarning Profile Photo
NOWaWarning
#67Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/8/21 at 11:03pm

Isn’t it interesting that, even with Broadway shut down, a show closed in January? I guess Covid hasn’t changed everything. Updated On: 1/9/21 at 11:03 PM

Princeton2
#68Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/9/21 at 9:59am

Although on the face of it the big mega hit long runners seem the obvious safe bets. Many of them are reliant on the tourist trade, and there's a strong likelihood that will take longer to recover even if broadway does reopen this year. They also have greater overheads. So in some ways they are just as vulnerable.

Shows with small casts, small over heads and that can run on smaller audiences are likely to be the most attractive to producers.

As for Mean Girls in London, I think like anything at the moment, I wouldn't say its a sure thing. A hope at best. Its also looking less likely the West end shows that have announced late spring/early summer reopening will actually go ahead.

A.J.
#69Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/9/21 at 10:53am

Jordan Levinson said: "HA! And this show should be really hard to load out as well!"

I think the IA guys can handle a basic unit set and a bunch of props light enough to be wheeled on by cast members. 

TBH, I thought the DC/Broadway productions were designed with touring in mind in case things didn’t work out in the beginning. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#70Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/9/21 at 11:12am

A.J. said: "Jordan Levinson said: "HA! And this show should be really hard to load out as well!"

I think the IA guys can handle a basic unit set and a bunch of props light enough to be wheeled on by cast members.

TBH, I thought the DC/Broadway productions were designed with touring in mind in case things didn’t work out in the beginning.
"

The hard loadout was a joke.

Oh look, a bibu!

Dollypop
#71Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/9/21 at 8:09pm

Friends in the business tell me PHANTOM will be the next to shutter.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#72Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/9/21 at 8:45pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Aside from established mainstays, I think it's going to be difficult for a lot of shows, even if they do plan on coming back. "

As I have written a number of times before, the "established mainstays" are, for the most part, the least likely to come back. I guess some folks won't accept it until they see it, or maybe not even then (see, e.g., Trump's second term), but there is not gonna be a status quo ante. Shows that have little or no appeal to locals are going to have a tough row to hoe. Will a few try to hold their theatres for the spring of '22? Maybe but that's not the same thing. 

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#73Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/9/21 at 10:14pm

I tried to touch on this earlier. Say theatre does open in the fall this year, with no masks/distancing (hopefully,) in March/April you get a slew of new shows open that fill every one of the 41 Broadway houses, I cannot see this happening next year, you need to give the existing shows the best chance of surviving, also the new show that nearly opened a hope too, competition will be counter productive, so all those those theatres that are dark will remain that way, until Broadway shows positive signs of recovery. Also would a producer want to put money into a new show in this climate?

So musicals like Michael Jackson or Britney Spears will be a long term aspiration, if at all.

At least on the flip side there are new show such as Company, Six, Groundhog Day, American Buffalo and the Lehman Brothers. Off Broadway will be the creative nucleus and will likely be the source of new shows eventually.

It will be a heavy lift to get Broadway running again.

unclevictor Profile Photo
unclevictor
#74Mean Girls to close
Posted: 1/9/21 at 11:25pm

HogansHero said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Aside from established mainstays, I think it's going to be difficult for a lot of shows, even if they do plan on coming back. "

As I have written a number of times before, the "established mainstays" are, for the most part, the least likely to come back. I guess some folks won't accept it until they see it, or maybe not even then (see, e.g., Trump's second term), but there is not gonna be a status quo ante. Shows that have little or no appeal to locals are going to have a tough row to hoe. Will a few try to hold their theatres for the spring of '22? Maybe butthat's notthe same thing.
"

I guess I missed all your postings on this... which mainstay shows will probably not reopen? Phantom? Book of Mormon? Aladdin? The lion king?