pixeltracker

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread- Page 38

DEAR EVAN HANSEN Movie Musical - News & Discussion Thread

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#925DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/17/21 at 12:17am

I think it would be hard for any audiences to side with his character in the film. He looks like a predator. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#926DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 8:03am

*Maybe some minor spoilers*

I really liked the stage production of this show and LOVED Ben's performance, which I consider to be one of those iconic perfect fits between writing/actor/show (e.g. Alice Ripley in N2N etc.). I was looking forward to the film adaptation hoping it would capture the spirit of the show and Ben's performance - hoping that we are getting to experience a modern example of 'Funny Girl'. But of course from the moment we started seeing some photos/clips and reviews it started to feel that, like Evan's own quest, everything was starting to unravel and fall apart.

Maybe it helped having low expectations but I’m happy to report that I think the backlash of the film is unwarranted and that I think it’s an excellent adaptation of the musical. 
Does it capture the spirit of the stage show and Ben’s performance? In some ways yes but in many surprising ways, not at all. Structurally all the main ingredients are there and musically it’s a very very strong adaptation (we should not take for granted that it’s nice to have a musical film adaptation where we have strong acting AND singing - plus the arrangements still feel faithful to the original while also being improved/expanded, and I love all the incidental music).

-I really think “For, Forever” - for example - is a very sophisticated example of how far musicals have come. Here we have 3 layers - at face value it feels so nostalgic and captures what it’s like to have a good friendship but the subtext of Evan singing this to please not just Connor’s family but eventually himself as he fantasises what it is like to have a friendship is just soooo genius -

However, the tone is very different from the stage musical - it’s darker, clinical and much more ‘realistic’. Much of the humour and light-hearted edge of the stage production has gone and Evan does not really have many of the endearing qualities of the stage production anymore, so he comes across to me as much more pathetic/weird and a little less sympathetic. It all feels more ‘serious’ and some of the scenes feel much more emotional and dramatic in that kind of tone you can only feel on film. I don’t mind that the film’s main character does not look attractive and does horrible things though - it’s the whole point of it. If people want to actually ‘like’ Evan you might have a hard time with this film.

I like most of the changes in characters for the better…..making Jared a gay person of colour changes the tone of so many of his lines and he doesn’t come across as just an annoying dick anymore. Alana’s character has been greatly expanded, and now I think the flow of the plot suddenly makes much more sense. On stage, it felt like Cynthia Murphy was underwritten and Evan’s mum had all the limelight but here Cynthia feels much more important and Amy Adams gives a devastatingly heartbreaking performance, one that if the film was perhaps better received in another reality could have been nominated for an Oscar. I was a bit shocked to hear that so many of Evan’s mums songs have been cut as the character was so important on stage but surprisingly it actually works and those songs don’t feel like they have the right tone in this film - plus it helped emphasise one of the major points about his character that his mum is more absent. Julianne Moore still gets a few dramatic scenes and has a very intimate performance of “So Big, So Small” to make up for it. "To Break A Glove" which I found annoying and boring on stage is not missed. 

Ben Platt’s performance has been brought down for film and because of the change in tone I would not say is quite the same as stage. Nor do I think it seems AS special as what he did on stage. However, his acting performance of “Words Fail” in particular I thought was INCREDIBLE and not something that others might have been able to get right in the way he did. Again if the film was perhaps better received it’s this scene in particular that I could imagine getting a bit more attention in terms of award nomination. I also just think in general the themes that it explores of not fitting in, mental health, the negative & positive aspects of social media, family relationships etc. are universal, important and should resonate with a wide audience.

My only hope for the movie is that it becomes ‘viral’ and overcomes its rocky start.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 9/18/21 at 08:03 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#927DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 10:35am

It’s now easily accessible online. It’s not just the bootleg sites.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#928DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 11:19am

It's only 6 days until it's in theaters so I'm going to wait until then.

iluvtheatertrash
#929DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 4:56pm

Just watched. It’s awful. Somehow even more repulsive and cringe-worthy as a film. Platt’s tics have gotten so over the top that it’s offensive.

So glad I’ve seen it for free.

It’s everywhere. Karmic intervention, I suppose.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#930DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 5:23pm

In the days since I’ve seen it, the film has only depreciated in my head. I keep thinking of new thoughts, things that could have been handled better, plot holes and questions, etc. I think the tone was wrong, the musical approaches to each song was mishandled, I missed all of the ensemble moments and many of the cut songs (hearing them as pep band selections made me miss them more). I think this was a show that could have translated well to film and could maybe even be improved through the medium. This sadly wasn’t the case, and other than casting A-list actors for the moms, they didn’t take full advantage of this being a Hollywood film. I don’t want to take away anyone’s enjoyment, but this is in my opinion not a good movie.

DEHFanatic Profile Photo
DEHFanatic
#931DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 5:26pm

iluvtheatertrash said: "Just watched. It’s awful. Somehow even more repulsive and cringe-worthy as a film. Platt’s tics have gotten so over the top that it’s offensive.

So glad I’ve seen it for free.

It’s everywhere. Karmic intervention, I suppose.
"

Just curious:

1.  Since you said "...even more repulsive...as a film" I assume you saw the stage show and didn't care for it - is that correct?

2.  Assuming that is the case, is there a show or shows you didn't care for that did make it to film that you did enjoy?

Total DEH fanatic and love to chat with similarly obsessed fans. Please feel free to PM me. In times like these, we could all use a friend.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#932DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 5:31pm

Pay for a movie if you want to see it. Don't be assholes. Thank you. 

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#933DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 9:13pm

My method for gauging if this film was good or not was to see it with my mother. She's a brilliant woman, but literally does not have a single brain cell equipped for critical media analysis. She's 100% emotional with this stuff, where I am completely hyper critical, especially with film. I'm the pretentious a-hole that you hate watching movies with. 

I was shocked at how surprisingly okay this was. You never get used to how old and creepy Ben Platt looks, even though he's usually very handsome. My mother was bawling at multiple points, most of which during I was laughing at how out of touch the creators of the film and show are with modern teens. The main redeeming factor of it all is that everyone is giving a performance well above their pay grade. There were some moments, especially in the second half, that I believed. Still, the whole thing just sort of felt uncanny. Ben's age, the very odd choices of sound mixing, the social media graphics, the singing not feeling natural in the story. Just weird. While I didn't love most of the choices, I really don't think this show had a chance of hell of being adapted successfully on screen anyway. It barely holds its morale together in the original.

Basically: it's not that bad. Mostly watchable, but I would never go as far as to call it a good movie by any means.

soulmistin Profile Photo
soulmistin
#934DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 9:13pm

My method for gauging if this film was good or not was to see it with my mother. She's a brilliant woman, but literally does not have a single brain cell equipped for critical media analysis. She's 100% emotional with this stuff, where I am completely hyper critical, especially with film. I'm the pretentious a-hole that you hate watching movies with. 

I was shocked at how surprisingly okay this was. You never get used to how old and creepy Ben Platt looks, even though he's usually very handsome. My mother was bawling at multiple points, most of which during I was laughing at how out of touch the creators of the film and show are with modern teens. The main redeeming factor of it all is that everyone is giving a performance well above their pay grade. There were some moments, especially in the second half, that I believed. Still, the whole thing just sort of felt uncanny. Ben's age, the very odd choices of sound mixing, the social media graphics, the singing not feeling natural in the story. Just weird. While I didn't love most of the choices, I really don't think this show had a chance of hell of being adapted successfully on screen anyway. It barely holds its morale together in the original.

Basically: it's not that bad. Mostly watchable, but I would never go as far as to call it a good movie by any means.

Claude Perkins
#935DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 10:17pm

This is getting a one-week IMAX engagement in select locations as well.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#936DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/18/21 at 10:21pm

Just finished watching the film. Loved it. Ben P was fully believable and that curly hair added to his awkwardness. I truly went in expecting the worst and the opening number almost did me in, but I was sucked in immediately right after. Julianne Moore’s song was sheer perfection and love that she was singing live. It truly felt like you were watching her on stage. “Sincerely, Me” was beautifully done on film.

sherie_worshipper Profile Photo
sherie_worshipper
#937DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 12:03am

I agree with you 100%, BrodyFosse123. I was expecting to hate it and ended up loving it. And I’m not even a fan of the stage version!

Updated On: 9/19/21 at 12:03 AM

theatretenor2 Profile Photo
theatretenor2
#938DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 8:20am

How does Requiem sound in the film? It's probably my favorite song in the whole show. I just love Michael Park's harmonies in the OBC.

iluvtheatertrash
#939DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 8:27am

I normally would pay, Sutton. And don’t usually do this. But I’m perfectly fine not lining Platt’s pockets any more. The nepotism repulses me. But I hear you. I do!

DEHFanatic, the first time I saw the show I enjoyed the music but something felt very off to me. When I saw it again on Broadway, the plot just rubbed so incredibly the wrong way and I realized it was just… vile. Im glad it does something for you, but I just can’t get past the plot or how awful what Evan does is. One thing I thought the film improved was that we actually saw Evan do the work of seeking forgiveness, which we don’t see on stage. Otherwise, it only amplified for me how gross the lie is.

Been trying to think of a movie musical that improved the stage so. Personally, I love Jamie on stage. But I love Jamie on film too. I think there are things the film did that improve the musical. I also feel the same way about THE PROM, which I think worked better on film than on stage.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#940DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 10:23am

theatretenor2 said: "How does Requiem sound in the film? It's probably my favorite song in the whole show. I just love Michael Park's harmonies in the OBC."

The song is well performed. I prefer Jennifer Laura Thompson’s vocal performance to Amy Adams’s (Thompson is the most underrated of the OBC in my opinion). Danny Pino’s Larry is quietly effective throughout the film, and his private moments in Requiem work well (he has a good singing voice too). In general, the music itself should please diehard fans. Arrangements are very similar to the Broadway versions with slight changes, like an expanded string section.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#941DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 10:25am

Just watched this... It fares slightly better as a film than a stage show, and the new ending is an improvement. However, the portrayal of mental issues is even worse in the film than I remember it being in the stage show. I wasn't able to overcome my issues with the story and main character when I saw this on Broadway, and I still feel that way after watching the film. I wasn't able to take Platt seriously with his hair and makeup. Amy Adams, Julianne More, and Kaitlyn Devers were all giving GREAT performances. Finally, I will admit that I do really enjoy most of the music. There are some great songs in there. However, the story is just too problematic for me, and I don't think I will ever be able to fully enjoy Dear Evan Hansen in any form because of that.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#942DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 10:32am

“ I normally would pay, Sutton. And don’t usually do this. But I’m perfectly fine not lining Platt’s pockets any more. The nepotism repulses me. But I hear you. I do!”

I respect that you don’t normally do this, but to say you aren’t lining Platt’s pockets is incorrect and an oversimplification. This probably won’t affect him at all. This type of theft over time will affect the ability of films to made at all. If every person who “doesn’t normally do this” were added up it it hurts the industry in major ways.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#943DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 10:37am

Anyone else think it's the way that they market Dear Evan Hansen that really kills it? Like when I first saw it with pretty much no knowledge of the show, I loved it because I saw Evan as a kind of anti-hero, but you empathized with him. It almost had a satirical quality about it.

When they later started promoting it as this feel-good, important musical about mental health, I really began to question the author's purpose. Like is Dear Evan Hansen a satire about how most people are sad and alone and willing to do anything to feel like they're a part of a group or is it supposed to be an uplifting musical about a kid who lies to a grieving family?

I think it's become the very thing that it's parodying.

BwayLB
#944DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 10:43am

^ I was almost fooled into thinkimg it was uplifting. Watching bits of the bootleg OBC gave me second thoughts

binau Profile Photo
binau
#945DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 11:06am

Georgeanddot2 said: "Anyone else think it's the way that they market Dear Evan Hansen that really kills it? Like when I first saw it with pretty much no knowledge of the show, I loved it because I saw Evan as a kind of anti-hero, but you empathized with him. It almost had a satirical quality about it.

When they later started promoting it as this feel-good, important musical about mental health, I really began to question the author's purpose. Like is Dear Evan Hansen a satire about how most people are sad and alone and willing to do anything to feel like they're a part of a group or is it supposed to be an uplifting musical about a kid who lies to a grieving family?

I think it's become the very thing that it's parodying.
"

I know what you mean. Like the classic example is the marketing of ‘You Will Be Found’. It’s used to make the show seem like it’s about uplifting you and making you feel good but actually in the context of the show it’s manipulative and the show is also being manipulative by using it to achieve the same ends. 

I prefer to think of the show as an expose on how and why people manipulate others rather than something to help guide socially or mentally lost people. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#946DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 12:27pm

Yeah, I get really turned off when they start calling it “an important film” or get very haughty about how it’s “changing the conversation about mental illness.” It’s incredibly cavalier and at times disrespectful of mental illness. It’s pulpy, soapy and I appreciated the story but I don’t think it’s doing anything remarkable in terms of mental health awareness or decreasing stigma. It’s not written well enough.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#947DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 12:39pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I respect that you don’t normally do this, but to say you aren’t lining Platt’s pockets is incorrect and an oversimplification. This probably won’t affect him at all. This type of theft over time will affect the ability of films to made at all. If every person who “doesn’t normally do this” were added up it it hurts the industry in major ways."

Well the simple answer is to make better movies? I don't think expecting people to suffer through **** piles like this or Cats for the good of the industry does the industry any favors. You know what pushed Cats to the finish line? Industry taking away the wrong lessons from The Greatest Showman. The Industry doesn't even know what they're doing and is just chasing their tales. If this movie made gangbusters do you know what type of Movie Musicals we'd be staring down the barrel of? 

I mean, I'm going to see this next week because I have AMC A-List and after my 2 movies a month everything else is gravy. 

Dollypop
#948DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 12:52pm

I'm reading all these comments about Platt's age but don't recall anyone complaining about Ann-Margaret's age in BYE BYE BIRDIE.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#949DEAR EVAN HANSEN film sets September 2021 release
Posted: 9/19/21 at 12:55pm

“ I normally would pay, Sutton. And don’t usually do this. But I’m perfectly fine not lining Platt’s pockets any more. The nepotism repulses me. But I hear you. I do!”

A lot of people worked hard on this movie. Not just one man. 

Videos