pixeltracker

Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs

Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#1Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 10:49am

I know we’re far out from the return of Broadway, but Im sure Jujamcyn would like to come out of the shutdown with their largest and third largest houses not empty. Wonder if any shows who lost a house might transfer to one of these. Lehman Trilogy or The Minutes could work for the August Wilson I think.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 3/31/21 at 10:49 AM

Islander_fan
#2Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 11:32am

Call_me_jorge said: "I know were far out from the return of Broadway, but Im sure Jujamcyn would like to come out of the shutdown with their largest and third largest theatres not empty. Wonder if any shows who lost a house might transfer to one of these. Lehman Trilogy or The Minutes could work for the August Wilson I think."

I mean, it’s a tad early to figure out not only what shows would occupy those two empty theatres, but what shows will be coming back at all. And, if they do, when does that happen. All I can say is that as far as set space is concerned, The Minutes fit well in the Cort. Seeing as both the August Wilson and St. James are used for big musicals it would not work well in a larger theatre. Furthermore, it’s playing at a Shubert theatre so, if/when it does come back and the Cort isn’t an option they may try to find another Shubert theatre that would work well for it first. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#3Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 12:43pm

Do we even think The Minutes will come back without Armie Hammer, whom I can’t imagine will still be attached to the project...

SouthernCakes
#4Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 1:07pm

Is this court getting renovated anyway? The Booth is available.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#5Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 1:46pm

Come on everybody, it's well known that Beetlejuice will be taking both theaters.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#6Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 1:56pm

^ and Heathers.

Broadway61004
#7Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 2:00pm

^ Really?  I thought for sure Rebecca was going to take one of them.

Jordan Catalano
#8Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 2:04pm

No. Pre-teen stans with no money demand Heathers and Beetlejuice and we must cater to them.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#9Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 3:21pm

Club kid James St James is taking his one man adaptation of “Party Monster” to the St James: “James St James is at the St James.”

The August Wilson is going to be the first combined fusion of cult Broadway musical and public fitness center, “BootyJuice.”

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#10Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 4:42pm

Wasn't there a rumor (maybe here) that the streamed JB with Nick Jonas would be filmed at the Wilson?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

JSquared2
#11Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 4:58pm

Jordan Catalano said: "No. Pre-teen stans with no money demand Heathers and Beetlejuice and we must cater to them."

Sorry but I have it on good authority that Be More Chill is getting a long overdue revival.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#12Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 5:20pm

LizzieCurry said: "Wasn't there a rumor (maybe here) that the streamed JB with Nick Jonas would be filmed at the Wilson?"

Yes there was, FWIW. This is also the place you could have recently read that August Wilson is still alive and that it would be nice if someone would name a theatre after him. 

ElphabaGoodman
#13Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 5:59pm

I would love to see Almost Famous take over the August Wilson and a revival of Beauty and the Beast at the St. James!

Jordan Catalano
#14Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 6:28pm

I believe “Almost Famous” is a Nederlander show that was looking at the Nederlander theatre.

ElphabaGoodman
#15Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 6:53pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I believe “Almost Famous” is a Nederlander show that was looking at the Nederlander theatre."

Another new musical was already set for the Nederlander and was going to open there last December, but things could have changed 

StardustsChild Profile Photo
StardustsChild
#16Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 10:31pm

Jordan means "Nederlander Show" as in they're connected with the Nederlander Organization, who own more theatres than the eponymous Nederlander.

"Life is already so dark. If you have got the talent to make it brighter and bring people hope & joy, why would you withhold that?"

Jordan Catalano
#17Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 10:37pm

Actually, I really thought they were going to take the Nederlander Theater, after “Lehman”.

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#18Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 11:02pm

I heard a rumor that a big show that originally played the St. James was in talks for a revival with the OG star. If it’s true, I wouldn’t be surprised if it tried to go back to its original home.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#19Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 11:20pm

...Alfred Drake is coming back to do Oklahoma?

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#20Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 3/31/21 at 11:43pm

bwayboy22 said: "I heard a rumor that a big show that originally played the St. James was in talks for a revival with the OG star. If it’s true, I wouldn’t be surprised if it tried to go back to its original home."

I would actually LOVE to see a Tommy revival back at the St. James with Michael Cerveris as Captain Walker. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#21Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 4/1/21 at 12:46pm

bwayboy22 said: "I heard a rumor that a big show that originally played the St. James was in talks for a revival with the OG star. If it’s true, I wouldn’t be surprised if it tried to go back to its original home."

My first thought was The Producers, The Who’s Tommy would be brilliant.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#22Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 4/1/21 at 12:51pm

I would actually LOVE to see a Tommy revival back at the St. James with Michael Cerveris as Captain Walker.

Yesssssss

Updated On: 4/1/21 at 12:51 PM

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#23Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 4/1/21 at 2:14pm

Call_me_jorge said: "bwayboy22 said: "I heard a rumor that a big show that originally played the St. James was in talks for a revival with the OG star. If it’s true, I wouldn’t be surprised if it tried to go back to its original home."

My first thought was The Producers, The Who’s Tommy would be brilliant.
"

Your first thought is the rumor I heard. Not sure if anyone can corroborate as I’ve heard nothing since it was first mentioned.

Jordan Catalano
#24Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 4/1/21 at 2:38pm

Well, Broderick is doing “Plaza Suite” and Lane is on record saying he doesn’t want to do anymore musicals so that would be interesting.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#25Who will take over the August Wilson and St. James Theatrs
Posted: 4/1/21 at 3:13pm

You are right about Nathan of course, but is Plaza Suite still happening? But assuming it is, and assuming Nathan were to change his mind, it is well to remember that those two things are not mutually exclusive. Plaza Suite will be a limited run, and Broadway's reopening is going to be a long drawn out affair, lasting at least one and probably more than one year.